The Revival of Halstead (Version 1.2.2)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Gweddeoran

The Revival of Halstead (Version 1.2.2)

Post by Gweddeoran »

The Revival of Halstead

This is the tale of Blenry, son of Sir Gerrick of Westin. Aspiring to be more than merely an aristocratic member of the Royal Court, he is called upon to perform a great task, one that shall prove to be far more crucial than any would have presumed. Join him in his battles as he thwarts the nefarious plans of the enemies of Wesnoth.

(Intermediate Level, 11 Scenarios)

Set during the years 628-629 YW, the adventure follows Blenry, a young noble who is sent by King Konrad II to rebuild the long destroyed fortress of Halstead and re-establish it as the Western Outpost. Descendants of, and characters from "Liberty", "Heir to the Throne", "An Orcish Incursion" and "Eastern Invasion" are featured.

All 14 scenarios, 11 battle and 3 dialogue-only, are balanced and completed.
The campaign is available on the 1.12 and 1.14 servers. (The Wesnoth 1.12 version is outdated and no longer maintained, although the game is complete but without the balancing and story rework available in the Wesnoth 1.14 version.)
Feedback and bug-reports will be appreciated.
TRoH Poster.png
Last edited by Gweddeoran on August 6th, 2021, 6:28 am, edited 19 times in total.
Gweddeoran

Re: The Revival Of Halstead-Fencer Campaign

Post by Gweddeoran »

can someone please reply so i can add further scenarios?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: NEW CAMPAIGN: The Revival Of Halstead-Fencer Campaign

Post by Anonymissimus »

That's not the way one should behave in a forum I'd say.

My "A simple campaign" contains a template for a _server.pbl to aid with uploading (and much more).
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Xara

Post by Xara »

Even the first scenario is not playable, terrain design is not finished, and player start at the same keep with the enemy. Maybe too early for feedbacks?
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

I do not understand, it works perfectly on BfW 1.12. What version do you have?
I have updated it and re-attached it on the first post
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Dear Anonymissimus,
Sorry about that. I was in a hurry as it was my first campaign
Xara

Post by Xara »

It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

please re download the fixed version from original post
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

The campaign is uploaded on the BfW 1.12 add-on server. Please download "The Revival Of Halstead-Version 0.1"!
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Version 0.2 has been uploaded. Please enjoy! :D
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Version 0.2.1 has been uploaded. Minor bug fixes.
Previous version had a new scenario- "Mighty Assault" which is aimed to be a medium/semi-large scale battle against orcs. Please give feed back and enjoy.
Espros

Post by Espros »

Hey there! Just finished playing the first few scenarios of your campaign! First off can I just say that building a campaign by yourself from scratch is pretty difficult (I'm trying to make my own right now, but I won't be able to release it for a little while because of gold carryover issues) and you've done a lot already :)

In terms of feedback, I have a few comments. The maps felt a little stark (big swaths of the same type of terrain), but that's an issue any creator faces when they develop a scenario. There's the enemy's castle, the places the units travel and fight, but the rest of the map is often unused terrain which can't be helped a lot of the time. Maybe consider making your map dimensions a little smaller? Just a helpful thought, it's really just a small aesthetic issue.

Scenario two was a little tough with the addition of the trappers, but I found it manageable with the cavalry in the daytime. In the third scenario in which the elves appear, I thought the conflict was a little rushed. Does the fact that they're Wesmere rebels make them automatically hostile? Elves are usually a benevolent race (but are often prone to arrogance) and have formed alliances with humans in the past, so perhaps present a reason as to why they're so hostile? Maybe the forest where they've been living has been cut down by Wesnothians to provide resources for reconstruction, a shaman was kidnapped, they don't like others infringing on their border, something that made the conflict worse/happen. Just food for thought to add a little depth to them. As much as you have to develop your protagonists, your enemies need more dimensions as well. Also that Gudrick is a silver mage this early on feels a bit over-powered. The presence of such a versatile and powerful unit this soon felt like a bit of a cheat to me, but maybe that's just my gaming mindset :P . I would consider making him a red mage, perhaps? That way it doesn't feel like the player is receiving a huge advantage in one of the first few scenarios.

Anyway, good job so far! I'll keep playing + give you feedback!
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Thank You for the feedback.
In terms of the map, I know how it feels. While, play testing, I did not like the maps either, as they could give me huge losses of valuable units(all 60% terrain), but I am not a great designer of maps :P.
About the dialogue-
I have studied the dialogue of campaigns like THoT and HttH. I made dialogue minimal. Blenry's development will occur slightly later when he meets:
Spoiler:
As for Gudrick, you will see more of it in later scenarios like Attack On Aldril etc. The elves are already banished as seen in LoW. Some of them fled to the Glyn's Forest. As you might know(if you played LoW), that these elves are not your usual bunch. They are more arrogant and enjoy slaying members of other races.
Gudrick is a Silver Mage, because he is vulnerable in most of the maps of this campaign. He also becomes:
Spoiler:
P.S did you do download this from the server or from the attachment? If you got it from the attachment, please re-download it from the add-on server.

Again, I appreciate the feedback. :D
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

Version 0.3 uploaded. Contains one new scenario- "The Lord Of Elensefar"
Total scenarios in version 0.3- 6 out of 13
Feedback is very much appreciated. :D