A Whim of Fate [SP Campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: A Whim of Fate [SP Campaign]

Post by Aldarisvet »

About your replays.

Well you played a way I did not expected. As I wrote, I deliberately made Necromancers with as much hit points as possible to exclude fast assassinations. Also I made a trick with 0 MP for them, so they will not leave the camp from the one side and do not suicide and same time do not stupidly stay as passive leaders but attack nearby enemy with magics instead. It would be really a pity would you early assault of the southern Necro success, I did all that this shouldnt happen. But killing north necro with help of Velendar and Solaevin... Well, why not. He is really far from others and can be killed easier.
Karna is easily the queen of this scenario. Teleporting her around was really fun
You guessed right, this scenario made entirely for the Silver Mage Karna. In this scenario I wanted to see teleportaion ability of the Silver Mage to be useful (never seen teleportation useful in any campaign). So I made a map where a key point would be a control over the villages in large spaces and Silver Mage as a fast help would be decisive. So this determined the enemy - it must be mobile enemy for stupid AI would be really able to takeover villages, and same time not to strong to be dangerous for the Silver Mage. Level0 bats were ideal, they cannot harm Silver Mage fast. From the other side, the help of one Silver mage would be decisive if only other player's units would be weak too. At the beginning I found that it should be peasants and side quest would be to advance Lancers from Horsemans. However, it appeared that a player do not recruit peasants but prefer to recruit Horsemans and abuse save&load with charge because it is easier. So I created that level0 Mounted Peasants without charge, changed side quest from getting Lancers to getting Horsemans or higher units and also provided ability to recruit Ruffians with impact attacks that especially effective against bats. So the main idea is a fight for villages of Silver Mage with support of Ruffians. Recruiting Mounted Peasants at the beginning is too costly and they do not have defence bonus in villages. Actually you did both thing - used teleportation of Karna and recruited ruffians, however I supposed that should be needed in much larger scale, but you task was easier beacause you killed nothern necro. Still I think I will put AI defence protection zone near all camps so stupid AI would defend the area near the leader more agressively. I really do not want that necro leader could be killed with just Volgast and Karna.

Now about scenario 5.
The person who made a feedback before you passed it easely by just fast assasinating Gryphon leader only with horses because stupid AI do not defence his own leader. Well, after that I put AI defence protection zone around the camp of Gryphon leader and really convinced that stright assault by horses is impossible, and also I hardened a road to him with mountains. Heh, but you put not only horses but all forces against the Gryphon leader, including Karna. I think I should now totally surround Gryphon riders camp with water. I myself all time had a feeling that it is easier to attack eastern leader because I thought that Gryphons are much more dangerous. But actually the way you played left you more gold but less experience. You need to get experience for mages in this scenario. The idea of this scenario is simple - use horsemans to cover mages from berserkers and get XP for mages. I made this scenario to see how to cope against lot of berserkers in mountains.
The objectives say that there is no early finish bonus for this one and no gold carryover. However there is an early finish bonus and gold carryover as well.
Really? I see that in your replay and even in scenario files there is carryover and bonus in objectives. May be you mix it with the previous scenario?
I did not know that mounted coprses would be so important in the next part, that's why i didn't make any. Maybe you could drop a suggestion to the player about making some wolf zombies?
Well, good Idea, I will do that.
it feels strange that volgast would propose out of nowhere.It feels really sudden. Maybe u could give some more text to show their relationship progressing. Karna could say something about how she is in volgast's debt for helping protect her friends and home.Feeling that the time was right, he would propose.
Why this looks sudden if he permanently and constantly making signs that he like her company from the very first words? Well that Volgast is a quite a typical charachter in the literature, Knight of a Lady, a stright and bold person.
The player does not know that they were specifically targeting velandar.
Why the player need to know this immediately? He will get some limited info only in the final dialogue of Chapter 2. The campaign can have some secrets for some time. The storyline will culminate only in chapter III.

Now here are my replays.
Attachments
AWOF-Berserkers_Frenzy_replay.gz
(46.87 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
AWOF-Winged_plains_replay.gz
(66.6 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
Last edited by Aldarisvet on June 24th, 2016, 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

There is a scenarion, where you have 4 silver mages, and you are supposed, to kill 40 bandits, who attacked your town. It is one mission in Elvish Dynasty RPG, thought I m not sure, if it can be win without saveload.
I didnt get any zombies in the beginning of the 2th scenario, so I had t win it just with heroes (save&load technic was the only possibility). I didnt know that I need to advance my zombies on 1lvl, so they ll be recalled- I wouldn mind having note in 1.scenario about it.
So far, I like this campain a lot, I am just about to fight with woses...
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Delicius169 wrote:There is a scenarion, where you have 4 silver mages, and you are supposed, to kill 40 bandits, who attacked your town. It is one mission in Elvish Dynasty RPG, thought I m not sure, if it can be win without saveload.
Intresting. I tried it once, I will try more.
Delicius169 wrote: I didnt get any zombies in the beginning of the 2th scenario, so I had t win it just with heroes (save&load technic was the only possibility). I didnt know that I need to advance my zombies on 1lvl, so they ll be recalled- I wouldn mind having note in 1.scenario about it.
Actually there is direct note in mission objectives to get as much Soulless as possible in both first and second scenario.
Delicius169 wrote: So far, I like this campain a lot, I am just about to fight with woses...
Thank you for your interest to the campaign. I really eager to see how you will cope with last 3 scenarios of it. The opinion of those who use save&load is intresting too because actually most players do the same. I think you wouldnt have much problems with woses and next scenario too with save&loads but against visionnaries in the last scenario you have to guess for the proper strategy, or even save&loads will not help.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

I just saw your replays of scenario 3, 4, and 5 and the first thing that I have to say is our playstyles are really different. You have incredible patience and a very defensive approach, while I believe that the best defense is a grand offense. This style of thinking came mostly from playing chess and RTS games like age of empires and rise of nations in my childhood, because in these games, the one who attacks first has a higher chance of victory. It worked out well for me in scenario 4 and 5, but I had to suffer in scenario 3 and used save load a couple times. On the other hand, though you took more turns, your play was much smoother than mine.
In Scenario 3- You really did manage to make a breakthrough on the eastern front. After getting level 3 dwarves killing the trolls became easy. However your southern attacking sqaud got blocked and u had to bring the eastern squad to kill them, resulting in turns running out in your replay. I suppose that’s why removed turn limit in this scenario. Good call. Though using the defensive strategy is definitely safer and better, it takes a long time( it took you 123 turns to finish!) and I doubt most players will be able to keep their head straight after playing for 100 + turns. I know I cannot. In my six year Wesnoth career, I have never played a scenario where it took more than 100 turns to complete. The longest scenario i ever played was the final scenario in THoT and even that took me 96 turns to complete when i replayed it on hard last month after a couple years. I remember you postin in the cmapaign design how to thread where u said that no scenario should take 100 turns to complete. :lol: I must say, watching your replay was an educational experience. BUT, I really think u should make this scenario shorter by reducing the enemy income or something like that. This scenario is 90 % frustration and 10 % fun. A large number of players will use debug or abandon your campaign at this scenario if u keep it as it is. :roll: And what u said about it being the final chapter- well maybe if it was the very last scenario of the entire campaign, it would be ok. But it’s just the 3 rd scenario and the end of chapter 1. There is no need for such a climactic fight at the very beginning of the campaign.
In Scenario 4, u chose to play fully defensive by capturing as many villages as u could and then holding them. And u mass produced ruffians and spent the first 25 turns defending the town. When u had a massive army, u attacked all three necromancers simultaneously. I attacked the bosses one by one since I did not have such a huge army. The surprising thing is that we both finished around the same time. I took 44 turns and you took 46. When I started the scenario, I thought that if I played defensive, turns would run out, since the map is so huge, and the bosses are very far from each other. Obviously, I was mistaken, and u set the number of turns in such a way that the player could defend as long as necessary without fearing turns running out. This scenario is really well made. Nice work!
In Scenario 5, you chose to go after berserkers. Again,what surprised me is that u finished with more gold than me, though you could not defeat the leader in time. I think u should give a larger reward for managing to defeat the enemy bosses. 50 gold is hardly worth the trouble know what I mean? I thought the ulfs would chain attack sertanis and kill him, but for some reason that did not happen. *surprised* Surrounding gryphon boss with water is a good idea. Then players will be forced to go after the berserkers.
Scenario 6 Invisible green turned out much easier than expected. I thought you would give the enemies lv 2 woses, but they turned out to be mostly lv 1 and a few lv 0. I recruited as many healer mages as i could as cannon fodder, then I moved in a tight formation across the forest, with the healer mages on the outside and the lv 2, 3 units inside. As u get closer to the destination, it becomes harder, because the enemies converge from all sides, and the will o wisps are dangerous. It took me 21 turns to finish this one. The lv 0 woses are really weak; maybe try removing them to make it a little tougher. I expected this scenario to be more of a challenge, but it’s pretty simple and easy. Maybe give one of the wose leaders the ability to recruit lv 2 elder woses?
Scenario 7 – Similar to scenario 4, with saurians instead of mounted peasants. I split my army in 2 groups. I sent the Khalifa and some saurians south west, and the heroes northeast. I took control of and defended as many villages as I could while recruiting more saurians. The soulless trees are incredibly slow. They just move 1 hex per turn. I completely ignored them and took out the 3 liches first. Then I converged on them from all sides. I feel u should remove them entirely, they are completely useless, and replace them with some other enemy. Maybe give the specter the ability to recruit ghosts. That would make the scenario more tactically interesting, becase saurian attacks don’t work on ghosts, which would increase tactical complexity. Took me 34 turns to complete and I finished with 311 gold carryover and several L2 and L3 saurians. I found 2 issues- The enemy liches do not attack even when my units are adjacent to them and undead wisps have description of will o wisp.
Why the player need to know this immediately? He will get some limited info only in the final dialogue of Chapter 2. The campaign can have some secrets for some time. The storyline will culminate only in chapter III.
Oh, so u gave me a spoiler huh. :doh: Well it's fine as it is. A good campaign must have some secrets. No point in revealing everything at the start.
I will play the last scenario tomorrow. The final scenario looks very interesting. Its a huge map with 60 villages and teleporting enemies. I wonder how AI uses teleporting units. I have never seen AI use teleporting units before. But since i am gonna start with 300+ gold, i think i will spam saurians and just overwhelm them with pure numbers since the visionaries have no melee attack.
I have attached the replays. I look forward to seeing how you played scenario 6 and 7. Please upload your replays if it's not too much trouble. :D
Attachments
AWOF-Winged_swamps_replay.gz
(89.53 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
AWOF-Invisible_Green_replay.gz
(61.21 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Sudipta wrote:I just saw your replays of scenario 3, 4, and 5 and the first thing that I have to say is our playstyles are really different. You have incredible patience and a very defensive approach, while I believe that the best defense is a grand offense. This style of thinking came mostly from playing chess and RTS games like age of empires and rise of nations in my childhood, because in these games, the one who attacks first has a higher chance of victory.
Well, you not right about my style of playing. When I play other's campaigns I often playing with very ambitious and underestimative way, trying to finish it asap (actually this works with most of campaigns and this is quite tactically boring and only few campaigns forced me to respect them and to start thinking). If I can assassinate the leader, I do it. But for my own campaigns of course I do not want to let the player to simply assassinate the leader but to guess for some original strategy. Btw I am myself a former chess player of I category (in Russia we have that ranking: IV category->III->II->I->candidate to master -> master).
Sudipta wrote: In my six year Wesnoth career, I have never played a scenario where it took more than 100 turns to complete. The longest scenario i ever played was the final scenario in THoT and even that took me 96 turns to complete when i replayed it on hard last month after a couple years. I remember you postin in the cmapaign design how to thread where u said that no scenario should take 100 turns to complete. :lol: I must say, watching your replay was an educational experience. BUT, I really think u should make this scenario shorter by reducing the enemy income or something like that. This scenario is 90 % frustration and 10 % fun. A large number of players will use debug or abandon your campaign at this scenario if u keep it as it is. :roll: And what u said about it being the final chapter- well maybe if it was the very last scenario of the entire campaign, it would be ok. But it’s just the 3 rd scenario and the end of chapter 1. There is no need for such a climactic fight at the very beginning of the campaign.
Probably you right about need to reduce AI's money a bit. But I saw people using save&loads finished it in 53 turns (in this thread). I really played very-very catious, trying to avoid any risk at all, in try to pass it without any reload, but kinda it was a deep night after working day, I was already tired, and lost concenration and started making mistakes after around turn 50, so finally I had to use some reloads too. Actually I am sure that in better form I could finish it in 80 turns (I did it before already with few reloads). Also I had really lot of unused gold at later stages, so what I should do is in proper moment to retreat with Tormir to the main camp and recruit units to help southern squad. So this 123 turns is no way a good example of playing that scenario in general, I just wanted to show you how to block eastern passage.
One day I tried to pass the first scenario being completely tired on Easy difficuly (I was not thinking) and barely was able to pass it without reloads, it took a lot of turns.
Sudipta wrote: Scenario 6 Invisible green turned out much easier than expected. I thought you would give the enemies lv 2 woses, but they turned out to be mostly lv 1 and a few lv 0. I recruited as many healer mages as i could as cannon fodder, then I moved in a tight formation across the forest, with the healer mages on the outside and the lv 2, 3 units inside. As u get closer to the destination, it becomes harder, because the enemies converge from all sides, and the will o wisps are dangerous. It took me 21 turns to finish this one. The lv 0 woses are really weak; maybe try removing them to make it a little tougher. I expected this scenario to be more of a challenge, but it’s pretty simple and easy. Maybe give one of the wose leaders the ability to recruit lv 2 elder woses?
Well, originally two of Wose leaders were recruiting level1 Woses and central one was recruiting level2 Druids. This level is devoted to Gorandor, who have 70% defence at forest and also huge magic melee and ranged attacks and also can swiftly move in forest. If fact Woses almost completely avoid attacking him, so at early stages of creating/testing it was possible just to stay at camp and to sneak with Gorandor to the goal point. Thats why I added Will-o-Wisps (they guards goal point and do not hesitate to attack Gorandor and can kill him easely if he is alone). In this scenario you have guess to hold very strictly angle formation with Gorandor in the tip of blunt angle (Zaryal can replace him simetimes) and with Battlemages on sides. So only Gorandor would have a risk to be attacked from 3 directions in one turn and others from only 2. And AI is too stupid to make such tricks as attacking unprotected back, he always strightly attacking on front, so you can hide all wounded under frontline safely. With that formation I was able to pass that scenario losing no one unit, with modest reloads, however (at that moment I had no idea that reloads is shameful thing). The problem is that level1 wose at day can attack 16-2, so 2 woses can damage a mage to 16*4. Given battlemages have only 39 HP, successing just 3 times of 4 would kill battlemage. Also people complained that they cannot pass this scenario at all and used debug mode. I decided after that this scenario is completely unbalanced and significally eased it replacing Wose Druids with Wose Shamans and replacing 2/3 of level1 Woses with level0 Woses. Still it is theoretically possible to lose even Battlemage in special stiuations so I do not think it is easy scenario. The way you passed it is not good because you lost many Healer Mages. Your frontlline was not perfect and you even used Healer Mages as meat (good idea but not for this scenario) instead of cherishing and advancing them. Given that you also lost lot of experience in the previous scenario (where you supposed to advance Healer Mages too), you will have lot of problems in the last scenario because you have no White mages to recall.
Sudipta wrote: Scenario 7 – Similar to scenario 4, with saurians instead of mounted peasants. I split my army in 2 groups. I sent the Khalifa and some saurians south west, and the heroes northeast. I took control of and defended as many villages as I could while recruiting more saurians. The soulless trees are incredibly slow. They just move 1 hex per turn. I completely ignored them and took out the 3 liches first. Then I converged on them from all sides.
You played this scenario almost absolutely as I supposed (as I play myself ) and I am content with the result. It still took 36/40 turns for you.
Sudipta wrote: I feel u should remove them entirely, they are completely useless, and replace them with some other enemy. Maybe give the specter the ability to recruit ghosts. That would make the scenario more tactically interesting, becase saurian attacks don’t work on ghosts, which would increase tactical complexity.
That zombie woses with dead wisps are reminiscense of scenario 6 and necros with bats are reminiscense of scenario 4, they are also plotline dependent. I know that woses are slow but also saurians pierce attacks are almost usless vs them. I wanted an effect of slow but inevitable big wave that coming on the central camp and I almost got it. It is supposed that you have lot of time before they reach the central camp. And I cannot say that zombie woses were absolutely helpless, they provided some problems to you. Actually they are supposed as experience meat to advance Healer/White Mages further but you missed that totally as in previous 2 scenarios. I am not going to remove Dead Woses but I am going to add more forest on the map to make them more mobile.
Sudipta wrote: The enemy liches do not attack even when my units are adjacent to them
My bad. Forgot to use my 0 MP leader know-how that I used in scenario 4. I will fix it, thank you. With that it will be much more difficult for Zaryal and saurians to kill south liches (actually that lich easly could kill Zaryal in your replay, but I used passive_AI script). In general in this scenario I wanted to see cooperation between slow but powerful mages and fast but weak saurians. Zaryal and Gorandor are only poweful units that are relatively mobile at swamps.

In general, your feedback with these 2 scenarious was very helpful, no one before you did it.
The final scenario looks very interesting. Its a huge map with 60 villages and teleporting enemies. I wonder how AI uses teleporting units. I have never seen AI use teleporting units before. But since i am gonna start with 300+ gold, i think i will spam saurians and just overwhelm them with pure numbers since the visionaries have no melee attack.
Yes, I made this scenario with idea of teleporting AI and found AI uses it well. Masses of Silver Mages is something stupid actually from a common sense, no wonder you never seen it in campaigns, also Silver Mages are too strong units. But masses of teleporting saurians of level2 with explained nature of their teleporting abilities have more sense.

I doubt you will do someting with Skirmishers in this scenario (they have other role here than to fight). Saurians are vulnarable 20% to cold, and Visionnaires are resistant 20% to pierce (as all saurians).So Visionnaires just tear apart Skirmishers with magic attacks. Well, Visionnaires are resistant to arcane 20% too. Still they have good defence rates on swamp/forest so it would be hard to kill them with spears, and mages have magic attacks. So you definetely need some White Mages to be recalled in this scemario and to be upgraded to Mage of Lights, that light would be effective vs chaotic Visionnaires. Also Visionnaires are vulnerable to blade 10%, so mostly you have to kill them by Battlemages and heroes with rune swords, but I repeat you need some White Mage to recall in this scenatio.
Sudipta wrote: Please upload your replays if it's not too much trouble. :D
A bit later, on holidays I am out of the Moscow and my PC.
Thanks again of your feedback, I am eager to see your tries to pass the last scenario :D
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Scenario 8 – One of the greatest scenarios ever. This one is easily the best scenario in your entire campaign and one of the greatest I have seen gameplay-wise. You really outdid yourself this time. It took me thirty nine turns to complete. I am not gonna describe how i did it, since i do not want to spoil it for the audience. If u have not played the campaign, i assure you that this final scenario makes the entire campaign worthwhile. This is what a climactic battle should be like. I like the twist at the end of the scenario too, but some of the starting and ending dialogue is a bit unclear and could use some improvement.

I never assassinate enemy leaders, unless i am in a very bad situation and have no other choice. I always prefer defeating all enemies and then killing the leader last. I only reload if a hero dies, but i did not have to do so in this one, though there were some close calls.
Whoa, so you are a pretty high ranked chess player. I don't know what category i am in sadly, but i am not nearly that good.
The way you passed it is not good because you lost many Healer Mages. Your frontlline was not perfect and you even used Healer Mages as meat (good idea but not for this scenario) instead of cherishing and advancing them. Given that you also lost lot of experience in the previous scenario (where you supposed to advance Healer Mages too), you will have lot of problems in the last scenario because you have no White mages to recall.
I guess if u are talking in an ethical sense, my style of play was bad. :hmm: I am not very good at maintaining formation for long. I recruited the healer mages with the specific intention of sacrificing them. (Does that make me a bad person?) I don't think white mages are as crucial in your campaign as u think. In the final scenario i had 2 mages of light but they did not get to fight a single enemy. They just move one hex per turn in the swamp. Saurians have 20% arcane resistance , so i think visionaries can easily kill white mages.
I wanted an effect of slow but inevitable big wave that coming on the central camp and I almost got it. It is supposed that you have lot of time before they reach the central camp.
Well, when they finally got to the central camp, it was empty :lol: Maybe u could add some of those minor ghosts u made?
I am not going to remove Dead Woses but I am going to add more forest on the map to make them more mobile.

Don't forget, adding more forests will make my mages more mobile as well, since they can move faster in forest than swamp.
In general, your feedback with these 2 scenarious was very helpful, no one before you did it.
Well, as the saying goes - There's a first time for everything.
I doubt you will do someting with Skirmishers in this scenario (they have other role here than to fight). Saurians are vulnarable 20% to cold, and Visionnaires are resistant 20% to pierce (as all saurians).So Visionnaires just tear apart Skirmishers with magic attacks. Well, Visionnaires are resistant to arcane 20% too. Still they have good defence rates on swamp/forest so it would be hard to kill them with spears, and mages have magic attacks. So you definetely need some White Mages to be recalled in this scemario and to be upgraded to Mage of Lights, that light would be effective vs chaotic Visionnaires. Also Visionnaires are vulnerable to blade 10%, so mostly you have to kill them by Battlemages and heroes with rune swords, but I repeat you need some White Mage to recall in this scenatio.
Well, when u see the replay, prepare to be amazed. :eng: I was also surprised at how well the AI used teleport. I really loved this scenario and enjoyed playing your campaign. Well done!
Attachments
AWOF-Tribal_War_replay.gz
(83.38 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Sudipta wrote: Well, when u see the replay, prepare to be amazed.
Well, I am not amazed much. You guessed the main thing about how to capture villages safely, congratulate. Overally you played like me, sending mages north and some saurians east, taking more and more villages, however, it took more turns from me because I used battlemages as main killing force and all of them was lvl3 to the end of scenario also I needed some fast white mages. I used lvl1 skirmishers as bait and protective shield/meat same time, and was luring Visionnaires by them, then killing by battlemages and heroes. But I seemingly underestimated level3 skirmishers, it is appeared that they are able to kill Visionnaires. The high usefulness of feedback is because another person can do something that you had not planned. However I am not content that you passed the campaign with only one! of your balllemages advanced to shadow level (and was immediatelly killed lol) and you totally neglected advancing healer mages. So I would make changes about it. From the other side I am content that you passed this campaign relatively easely. I had a feeling that people have huge problems with it. May be that because you are strong player.

If you saw the replay of Berserker_Frenzy scenario, you could see there that at one moment I recruited really lot of Healer Mages without visible reason and went north with them to the Gryphon leader. Well, that was not overrecruit. That was a way to get quick mages and to give them XP to recall later. So in later scenarios I would not have mages that move 1 MP at swamp as you told me, nope, I would recall and advance only quick ones, who would have 3MP on forest and 2MP on swamp (and actually you rarely have to move on swamp, there always a way through little isles of forests and grass that only seemed as chaotical). However, this quick_mages_sorting_idea is really complicated and I got now that this is unfair to the player because he have no idea that in all 3 further scenarios he would need fast mages. So I will make all mages from that monastery with quick trait by default, including battlemeges.

Unfortunatelly, I see no more new, december 2015 replays/saveloads on my PC. It is appeared that I was not replaying the campaign further after I presented Mounted Horsemans, kinda because further scenarios were unchanged, so I made no progress further. And from old replays I have only that one for Winged swamps
AWOF-Winged_swamps_replay+very_old.gz
(60.96 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
From the time without undead wisps and with active liches (they were really making problems but ghost hero suicided when he left the camp, that because I changed leaders to passive) and probably another gold support values. I also have one old for Invisible green, but it would be totally out of sync with new version for that scenario. I see nothing for the last scenario, probably I played it on another android device that is dead now.
Sudipta wrote: I was also surprised at how well the AI used teleport.
The way they teleport each turn is just... mesmerizing.

Actually the only special thing I did - I put high agression=0.8 to AI tag. Without it they were much more passive. But watching you replay I would put it to more higher level. Sometimes I saw that they were not attacking despite they can.
Also I going to increase AI agression in scenario 4. In many cases bats were really passive, standing letting them killed.
Sudipta wrote: Well done!
Thank you again, you definetely provided some advertisement for my campaign by your feedback and high estimate. It passed 10 months after I released Chapter II before someone appreciated it, wow! For that time a woman can to conceive and give birth to a child.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Aldarisvet wrote:But I seemingly underestimated level3 skirmishers, it is appeared that they are able to kill Visionnaires.
Well, Saurians are the hardest to fight against. They can kill almost anything by ganging up on it.
Aldarisvet wrote:However I am not content that you passed the campaign with only one! of your balllemages advanced to shadow level (and was immediatelly killed lol) and you totally neglected advancing healer mages. So I would make changes about it.
I admit, i did not place much importance to them. Since most of the campaign takes place on difficult terrain, they are painfully slow, and i am not fond of dragging them through swamps and forests.As for healer mages, i thought the two loyal mages of light and Solaevin were enough, and i was right, seemingly.
Aldarisvet wrote:From the other side I am content that you passed this campaign relatively easely. I had a feeling that people have huge problems with it. May be that because you are strong player.
Hey, this is a very tough campaign. It took a lot of planning to get through it. Before starting the scenarios, i had to plan out how i was going to play. I am not surprised that people had problems, it requires actual application of tactical skills.
Aldarisvet wrote:However, this quick_mages_sorting_idea is really complicated and I got now that this is unfair to the player because he have no idea that in all 3 further scenarios he would need fast mages. So I will make all mages from that monastery with quick trait by default, including battlemeges.
Instead of doing that, why don't you just give them 6 mp instead of 5 ? Many people (me included) look down on the quick trait.

As for your old replays, well there isn't much point looking at old and out-of-sync replays. If u replay it someday, then upload the new ones
Actually the only special thing I did - I put high agression=0.8 to AI tag. Without it they were much more passive. But watching you replay I would put it to more higher level. Sometimes I saw that they were not attacking despite they can.
Well, too much aggression doesn't really make the scenario tougher. I am guessing you are talking about the final part of replay, when the heroes and the main army came close to the enemy keep.I think the AI did not attack then, because it would simply be suiciding into my units.
So any ideea when part 3 is coming out?
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Sudipta wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote:However, this quick_mages_sorting_idea is really complicated and I got now that this is unfair to the player because he have no idea that in all 3 further scenarios he would need fast mages. So I will make all mages from that monastery with quick trait by default, including battlemeges.
Instead of doing that, why don't you just give them 6 mp instead of 5 ? Many people (me included) look down on the quick trait.
Since Healer Mages advance to core White Mages and Mage of Lights, I cant add them more turns. Concerning battlemages, I think I can do it. Shadow Mages from Liverty have 6 MP and have more powerful attacks. But I do not want Velendar and Solaevin (who are battlemages too in fact) to have 7 MP, so I would just remove their quick traits and will substitute it with something.
So any ideea when part 3 is coming out?
Hard question. I sent my family to the village for the summer and visiting them only at weekends, so my evernings are free to be used for Wesnoth, that because I was able to do some things in Art Workshop recently. So I have the whole summer but I have no idea how it will turn out. The plans for Chapter III were grandiose and Chapter II took much of my previous summer.

For the moment I am going to finish Z:I. It is going to be a prequel for A Whim of Fate. The first scenario is ready and have 6 options of enemy to choose. If you have time, you can try a couple of options, I really need feedback (but not for the Bandit option). Then, after I will release the second, final scenario, which is going to be relatively soon, you can replay the campaign again with another option in the first scenario and finish it.
Dont be confused that the main hero of Z:I have the same name as a main hero in AWOF - it is a different person with the same name and all happenings much earlier in Wesnoth timeline.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Aldarisvet wrote:Dont be confused that the main hero of Z:I have the same name as a main hero in AWOF - it is a different person with the same name and all happenings much earlier in Wesnoth timeline.
Maybe you should change the name, since it is weird for 2 different humans to have same ELVISH name (same human names are more realistic, but having elvish names amongs humans is VEEEERY rare, so maybe give the Z:I protagonist a human name)
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

ForestDragon wrote:
Aldarisvet wrote:Dont be confused that the main hero of Z:I have the same name as a main hero in AWOF - it is a different person with the same name and all happenings much earlier in Wesnoth timeline.
Maybe you should change the name, since it is weird for 2 different humans to have same ELVISH name (same human names are more realistic, but having elvish names amongs humans is VEEEERY rare, so maybe give the Z:I protagonist a human name)
Well, I wrote in the beginning of AWOF that Velen-dar is an elvish name but actually it may be not an elvish name. Delfa-dor is not an elvish name I think, so ending dor/dar, humans probably can have it. I am going to remove that fragment about elvish name, I had another idea now.

Actually Velendar is a name that I invented to be looked as a fantasy name but it is easely can be translated from Russian, it is constructed as ancient Russian binomial name (Велен-дар). You can translate it as 'destined to get gift'. Another example of binomial name - ancient german Bernhard = bero (bear) + hart, hard (strong/brave).

It is not wierd that 2 different humans have the same name if one is named after his ancestor. And both got that staff as some gift of fate.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Working on the text now. Should have it done in a day or so and I'll post it here for you.

-=FL=-
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Got about half the work done. It'll be a few more days and I'll have the completed files for you.
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

FaeLord wrote:Got about half the work done. It'll be a few more days and I'll have the completed files for you.
Well, I am eager to see how a native language speaker will transfrom my uneducated texts. Would be quite a valuable experience in learning English for me also. Thank you much.
Kinda planned 0.8.4 version update of the campaign will be quite comprehensive.
MrNevino

Post by MrNevino »

Just finished the first 2 chapters you have so far, I really enjoyed the campaign, though I wish you would expand on Volderghast(or however you spell i) and what ends up happening with him and Korna.

Can't wait for the next chapter!