The Desolation of Karlag [Development and feedback]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UK1

Re: The Desolation of Karlag [Development and feedback]

Post by UK1 »

Okay. I don't know if your other campaigns are done this way, but I really appreciate the absence of early finish bonuses. Here are my thoughts on early finish bonuses:

1: Why make the next level easy/impossible to lose?
2: If the additional gold DOESN'T make the next level easier than you want it to be, then that means you took into account doing well on the LAST scenario to do well on the NEXT scenario. Which is stupid. If you make it to the next scenario, it should be within your power to beat it with the gold you are given at the start.

I really appreciated that aspect. All in all, this is one of the best undead campaigns I've seen. It only loses to that campaign that has Gwiti Hataal (or whatever) on sheer content. On execution, I think this is an excellent campaign for a faction that really gets the short end of the stick campaign-wise (albeit not as much as Drakes).
"Hey you, bats should be nerfed."
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Well, at first I couldn't decide whether your were just being sarcastic, but finally, I'm glad that we agree on the topic.

The sequels are designed with early finish bonus included, because I've received too many comments about its absence to ignore, and therefore I changed my mind, and put bonus back (except here). This is balanced by the fact however, that it's practically impossible to finish too early (maybe in easier difficulties, where on the other hand I still think bonus is neccessary for beginner players).
Many players would agree, that bonus is good, because you do not have to click-through all the remaining turns and kill the enemy in the last to receive maximum gold output. This is a strong point to consider.

Anyway, it's nice to see an opinion which fits with my views better ;)

Glad you liked it, still, give a try to the sequels if you find the time,
Regards,
WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Hi, I translated this campaign into japanese. :D
Could you add this to the package?
tdok_ja.zip
japanese translation
(113.23 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi, great :D I've added it and uploaded 1.2.2 to the add-ons server. Please check if it works there as well :)
Thanks again, good job :)

WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Yeah, works fine! :D
Thank you!
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Just finished this campaign, and my rank is 'Lich-Lord' as playing on easy difficulty. In Clash in the clouds' scenario, I killed Raelle on turn 11 (any turn) makes Karlag went to the volcano, but destroyed by the dragon, and moves to the next scenario as well as turn runs out. Defeating Raelle is not primary objectives from that scenario, but is it intended?
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

DukeSwampy wrote: July 12th, 2019, 9:05 am Just finished this campaign, and my rank is 'Lich-Lord' as playing on easy difficulty.
Congrats :) Without looking at the code, I don't remember what is the highest, but Lich-Lord sounds like that's it probably.
DukeSwampy wrote: July 12th, 2019, 9:05 am Defeating Raelle is not primary objectives from that scenario, but is it intended?
It is intended. It's kind of a "shortcut" - if you defeat the leader of the enemy forces, they immediately unleash their last weapon, which they would otherwise do when the time runs out. The rest you've seen. :)
I guess I could add defeating Raelle as a bonus objective... I'll try not to forget to do it once getting this ported.
Major_Swampy

Post by Major_Swampy »

Alright, now I am focused on the ThSeBl campaign.

Best Regards,
DukeSwampy
Sorry for my english, I'm not english native.
Regards, Swampy.

(Already mastered the LotI as 4 times until the end, so wanna me to play it again!?)
denispir

Post by denispir »

I have played (part of) the Ravagers, see huge feedback message on its thread ;-). I thus wanted to try tDoK but could not find it on the 1.14 server... or am I blind?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

denispir wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 12:00 pm I thus wanted to try tDoK but could not find it on the 1.14 server... or am I blind?
Because it's not there yet. :) Sadly this entire series is yet to be ported to 1.14. You can find their latest edition on the 1.12 servers. If you decide to give it a go, I can probably answer most issues here and the campaigns are in a generally playable status, but keep in mind that they are no longer getting updates unless there is a game-crashing issue. Feedback is welcome though as I make notes of them for the 1.14 edition. :)

But when are they getting ported? I really don't know. It's taking so long because I want to combine all 5 parts together as a single add-on. This means however that their common mechanics must be revised to be uniform and fit all of them. Also, before I do that, I definitely want to finish Ravagers 1.3 with the new sidequest addition. It's almost ready, but... it's been "almost ready" for months now. My free time is severely limited and I can only make very little progress. I hope, and the emphasis is on hope, that I can finish Ravagers 1.3 by January, and port this series for the summer. Well, 1.16 might be faster than me :D So I'd recommend downloading 1.12 and playing them there, DukeSwampy did just that some time ago.
denispir

Post by denispir »

WhiteWolf wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 3:31 pm Because it's not there yet. :)
All right, I understand (also the coding side). Thank you for your big work! :-)