Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gwrnarkn

Re: Oath of Allegiance [SP Desert People Campaign for 1.13.5]

Post by gwrnarkn »

I'm having the same problem where you can't talk to the commander (not even with main char) despite moving next to him, nor recruit his guards, nor tell them anything in fact (including by right clicking hexes like some campaigns work). I also have a problem with knockback sometimes randomly not working despite the fact that the hex behind the target is free. This is particularly true for steadfast units, their knockback just never works, 100%.
I assume you wanted steadfast to negate knockback on receving unit, not the one using it (otherwise the swordsman advancement with knockback and steadfast makes no sense), but somehow mixed it up in the code.
-Falcon

Post by -Falcon »

Dawoud's knockback works regardless if he hits a unit or not, is this a bug? :augh:
jendefer

Post by jendefer »

I am enjoying the campaign, but I have encountered a problem with Oath of Allegiance 1.16.2, Scenario 4, A Whisper in the Sands. When I move a unit next to the general in the fort, the exclamation point above him goes away, but I cannot interact with him or his troops in any way. There is no story text at that point to explain what to do. I have tried having a normal unit reach him first, as well as having Ilriel reach him first. The result is the same. There are no options in the right-click menu either.

On a different note, I have also seen Dawoud knockback units that he has failed to hit.

In case it matters, my operating system is OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.6. My version of The Battle for Wesnoth is 1.14.2.
Landiss

Post by Landiss »

Knockback ability doesn't seem to work with the dune guardsman unit. As others pointed out already, it works for Dawoud and regardless if he hits the enemy or not.
Landiss

Post by Landiss »

jendefer wrote: June 3rd, 2018, 8:03 am I am enjoying the campaign, but I have encountered a problem with Oath of Allegiance 1.16.2, Scenario 4, A Whisper in the Sands. When I move a unit next to the general in the fort, the exclamation point above him goes away, but I cannot interact with him or his troops in any way. There is no story text at that point to explain what to do. I have tried having a normal unit reach him first, as well as having Ilriel reach him first. The result is the same. There are no options in the right-click menu either.
I encountered this as well and I think I found a solution. Perhaps someone with an actual WML experience can confirm though.

In the scenario file 04_A_Whisper_in_the_Sands.cfg the line 340:

Code: Select all

{HRS_TALK 29 22 (side=1) (
the (side=1) should be removed.

I tested it without this and the event works fine (the scenario has to be restarted for this change to take effect though).

That's macro from Heroes and perhaps it was changed as it only has 3, not 4 arguments (the third one being the code to be executed at the end, currently that code is (side=1) instead of the proper event code that follows in the next lines in the scenario file).
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Yup, that's the cause (the same kind of bug happened in Carved in Stone recently), but I don't have the time to fix that right now. I will do so sometime later
jendefer

Post by jendefer »

Thanks so much! I made that edit to line 340 and now the scenario works great. So glad to have some more loyal troops!
Landiss

Post by Landiss »

I got to the 9. level, Shadow of Isanbar and unfortunately I have to say the level managed to make me quit the campaign.

It's not that it is hard, it's just so long and boring and when I have finally managed to reach the objective, I was told I have to reach the other end of the map (cave map) and I had 2 turns until the end. I'm sorry if I'm insensitive toward the campaign creator here, but man, that was frustrating experience. And I liked the previous scenarios and some interesting ideas this campaign had.

I would seriously suggest that this level is redesigned completely and at least cut in half. There is simply nothing fun in wandering around huge cave prison with almost identical cells, opening each in hope to find the right one, but instead having to fight nearly the same enemies, exactly not powerful enough to be a real threat, but powerful enough to be bothering and slowing down the gameplay.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Fixed the recent issues mentioned in the thread. Ilaroth's knockback only works on-hit now and knocks back any unit (got rid of the steadfast/village filter). Also enjoy getting some help from the general's units in scenario 4. I didn't fix the prison map.

Make sure to get the newest Heroes update
blackpembe

Post by blackpembe »

Hello,

I'm at that same level (Shadows of Isanbar) and though it is not that hard once you've found Alua, I don't understand where the "signpost" where I should move one of the two main heroes can be. I've searched the cells, tried and tried again... can't seem to find it

[EDIT] nah, I've just been stupid, I found it
Spoiler:
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

It's a very good campaign so far.

My only gripe is with the scenario where a bandit or thief leader has to be found.

The map doesn't give enough information IMO and the amount of turns is also a bit too limited.

There is even some sewer entrance where I can walk to but then nothing happens and I don't
know how to go from there.

Perhaps if one enters a sewer tile, the target-sewer should be highlighted like a javascript
on-mouse-hover event or something like that. Because right now I am stuck and I don't
like puzzle maps where the puzzle consists primarily of hard to find or impossible to go
places.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

> It's not that it is hard, it's just so long and boring and when I have finally managed to reach the objective, I was told I
> have to reach the other end of the map (cave map) and I had 2 turns until the end.

I had a similar problem - in particular I had no idea WHERE the sign was. The objective speaks of a sign
but does not tell me where it is. (Yes, it says "north" but what the hell does that even mean in a dungeon)

I re-played it again and only moved to the area where I would capture the hostage, then continued to move,
and eventually found the signpost INSIDE of a room (or rather, a tunnel after the room).

I suggest two things here:

a) turn the signpost into a staircase (makes more sense for a prison)
b) somehow EITHER highlight where it is; or provide more information as to how to find it
e. g. rather than "the signpost in the north", it could read "a staircase behind a tunnel in
one of the northern rooms" - or something like that.

I struggle more with map layout in general than fighting within the scenarios. :D
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Just found out that the bandit leader is on the map, just invisible.

It may help to mention this during the discussion because without that knowledge I missed him several times - I only found him by accident when attacking another unit. Then suddenly he appeared and I knew how t solve the level; without that, I would have missed him.

It's these small things that could be improved. Overall the campaign is one of the better ones, I'd say within top 5 of the add-ons campaign. But these minor issues are quite frustrating.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

shevegen wrote: August 13th, 2018, 12:37 pm .
Please avoid double/triple posting unless necessary. You can edit your posts, using the edit button (top right corner of your post, the first one from the left).
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

Some more feedback, mostly small:

- The falcon helped me in a few scenarios a LOT. Reason being that he is so fast; and lateron you can buy him a +2 movement potion.

In one scenario in particular, the falcon helped me block in that female enemy that could un-petrify objects. So the flying light thing and the falcon could delay that female medusa-like thing, until my slower army could catch up and kill the female enemy quickly. This was largely due to only two tiles between the walls. I think 3 tiles between the walls may have helped the medusa thingy escape more easily (the falcon could not really take any hits and was lucky to survive, so I had to move the falcon away, but he could block once or twice successfully; the falcon is pretty amusing).

- There also is that petrify-thing. I think petrification is too powerful since I'd give my whole army petrification. I would suggest to limit it, perhaps to petrify only level 1 and 2 units at best. I'd also make it a one-attack, perhaps increase its power; 2x petrification chance is a bit much. Otherwise it's a pretty cool unit. I got the dinosaur thing first, which was fun too but petrification rules (no clue about the other unit types - good idea for the scenario by the way).

- There is one scenario with red flash portals where units pour out. Once you are down to one portal, it becomes a XP-gather thing, since we could get more and more XP since there was no time limit. I don't suggest to make at ime limit BUT I think XP milking is not a good idea either. I suggest that if there is only 1 portal left, to do something like continual damage to all your units; something like 2 hp damage to all. This should encourage the player to hasten rather than milk for XP (and if it is not enough, the damage could always be increased lateron).

Overlal it's a good campaign, it's mostly smaller-ish things here and there.

I like the idea behind heroes having a different upgrade path, although some abilities seem a bit overpowered. The flying light thing is, in my opinion, by far the best unit because it can fly around and doing so, almost single-handedly win the game. I got him to over 100 hp already thanks to that weird ability.