UMC lost in English Translation

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

ying

UMC lost in English Translation

Post by ying » October 27th, 2014, 10:42 pm

My friend and I had beat Halo and we were playing some Halo multiplayer. There was this "add-on." It was a map pack for multiplayer.

It seems that back in Wesnoth 1.2 there were these these extra maps and they put them in this thing called "add-ons". That is what "add-ons" roughly could mean if the native English speaker was familiar with term "add-ons" in such a context. Otherwise, to the majority of native English speakers "add-ons" means "additional stuff". Which is why I never clicked on it. It certainly is not "content" that a "user" could "make". I dont think Ivanovic did this maliciously as in German "add-ons" is translated in to "Erweiterungen" which means "more (content)" I found out about UMC after I played every campaign (or so I thought). I joined the mp server and somebody explained that I needed to get ageless era which was an "add-on" to play a ageless creep wars. They explained that ageless era was available if I clicked the "add-ons" button in the main menu. I was surprised that there was so much content in the "add-ons" thingy. I was very surprised to find campaigns in the "add-ons" section. I would expect additional campaigns to be under the heading "Campaigns". I didnt think much about it at the time.

Wesnoth uses the term "add-ons" that is not consistent with standard English. There is way too much content on the add-ons server to be called an "add-ons" server. An add-on is something like the plug-in that allows Firefox to use Adobe Flash. The "Midori, Netscape and Chromium" suite are not an add-ons for Firefox. They are "more" web browsers. The Flash plug-in is an add-on for Firefox. The English speakers do not need Flash plug-in to play Wesnoth, so many English speakers never click the "add-ons" button.
If I spoke the truth, they would put me in a straitjacket. So, I left the society.

Chewan

Re: UMC lost in English Translation

Post by Chewan » October 28th, 2014, 12:51 am

It's a shame that all the hundreds, thousands of native English speakers of the
Wesnoth community never realized the improper use of the word add-on! :?
However, "additional stuff" sounds interesting in the context of a fantasy game …
I would immediately click on this link, and more than once throughout all the years
from BfW 1.2 up to the current version.

BTW, the German word "Erweiterung" stands for extension, expansion, diversification,
enhancement, widening, enlargement, amplification, increase, dilation, interpolation,
stretching, broadening, upgrading, dilatation etc. etc … and, yes, add-on.
I think it is a good choice that covers everything Wesnoth stands for.

shadowm
Site Administrator

Re: UMC lost in English Translation

Post by shadowm » October 28th, 2014, 1:40 am

ying wrote:It seems that back in Wesnoth 1.2 there were these these extra maps and they put them in this thing called "add-ons". That is what "add-ons" roughly could mean if the native English speaker was familiar with term "add-ons" in such a context.
Yeah, nobody has found a problem with this before, though I can see why you in particular would.

Using the “UMC” acronym in-game is out of the question, especially in menus, buttons, and dialog captions (“Contenido desarrollado por usuarios” would be an overlong button label, don’t you think?), and I don’t think there is anyone who can argue that user-made content that’s not already part of mainline (and thus traditionally not considered UMC after that point) is not also add-on content in the sense of optionality, modularity, and extensibility.

Taking both this and your past record for nitpicking into account, I consider this case closed.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.