The Beautiful Child

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rytas

Re: The Beautiful Child (beta)

Post by rytas »

Dugi wrote:
damage was doubled only when attacking the right type of enemy, not 'double unconditionally three times'.
Yes, but that was because you were facing many enemy races. That dagger exists in LotI too and works the same.
Can't agree. I have used it in LotI and it never caused such multiplication. But it was quite some time ago so things may have changed, need to verify.
As things are now in TBC, any armor or weapon adding distinct 'missomething' means adding extra x2 unconditional damage.
Just for kicks i have dumped all the 'missomething' and +damage gear i had access to on Sicaria next to the duke, for the result - see screenshot.
Dugi wrote:
Thats true, but when doubling combos make damage too great the fun of one hit kills wears off quickly.
Yeah. I understand, but preventing these multiplicative bonuses from stacking multiplicatively is hard.
I understand. But i see that these also have to be balanced. The exploiting of game mechanics based on unchecked multiplication of properties is prime example of balancing problem (even more critical in multiplayer games).
Dugi wrote:
From the balance of things perspective i would work out some form of limiting to the 'double damage' combos - f.e. 'if damage is doubled already by something, if its to be doubled by other effect then make it +20% instead'.
It's not so easy. I have already prevented various backstab bonuses from stacking (the strongest one applies), I'll see if I can find something. Doing just what you suggested would require me to change the game's source code which add-ons can't do. I have halved the effect of the Warlord's Rule ability, I was thinking that it was a bit too strong for longer.
Sounds good. And Warlord's Rule always bothered me as beeing too powerful to the point of avoiding to use that character in battle. High level leadership is quite dangerous as it is.
Attachments
1kdam.png
1kdam.png (55.79 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have used it in LotI and it never caused such multiplication. But it was quite some time ago so things may have changed, need to verify.
I haven't changed that thing for ages. I will have to test how does that Chaosbringer thing behave.
I understand. But i see that these also have to be balanced.
I have figured out a possible way how to prevent all multiplicative damage bonuses from stacking with themselves multiplicatively except leadership, I'll experiment.
raonic

Post by raonic »

Can anybody help me here? I'm "stuck" at War Rages On, i cant find a way to find the passage to Hidden Valley
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have replied to that question on the previous page:
Dugi wrote:The Hidden Valley can be entered only through a cave in the Valley Passage area. Look at the image in the spoiler bellow to see where it roughly is.
Spoilers inside:
raonic

Post by raonic »

Dugi wrote:I have replied to that question on the previous page:
Dugi wrote:The Hidden Valley can be entered only through a cave in the Valley Passage area. Look at the image in the spoiler bellow to see where it roughly is.
Spoilers inside:
I mean that i cant open it, i place units there and nothing happens
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Wait, you wrote you're at War Rages On. In that time, you don't have to get there yet, you have to defeat the enemies. You will be tasked to get there afterwards and at that time, it will not be blocked.
raonic

Post by raonic »

rly? in the next scenario dialogue looked like someone who was not there was talking to the main characters, i think its just Uver who is labeled as enemy during the dialogue (or Konrad, who is not there)
Thanks anyway man
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

That might be a bug. Where was it? What were they talking about?
raonic

Post by raonic »

The talk was on Faithdome, right after finishing War Rages On, they were talking about the enemy firces conquering the valley (i think)

PS: sorry for answering only now
PS2: Loved your campaingn, mainly the relation with Legend of the Invincibles
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have found the cause. He was supposed to appear there but the conditions of his apparition were set wrongly and he actually did not appear and could not tell his lines. Thanks for the feedback.
raonic wrote:PS: sorry for answering only now
No problem.
raonic wrote:PS2: Loved your campaingn, mainly the relation with Legend of the Invincibles
Thanks ^_^
Derth

Post by Derth »

Not sure how it happened, but the protagonist lost one of her heritage abilities. Had the undead immunities, and then suddenly lost them without explanation. Not sure when it happened, only noticed it when I equipped the "Scourge of all the living" and the "cancer" ability poisoned her. Is there any way to regain the immunities? Unit info still shows her as having selected that as an advancement, if that helps.

EDIT: Also, the portrait used for a female warlock during dialog is the same as a male warlock.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

There was an error causing the cancer ability poison units who were immune to poison. I haven't uploaded the fix yet, but it should not take long. Ditch that item and you should be fine.

I'll have a look at the issue with warlock portraits.
Scarhart

Post by Scarhart »

I am experiencing an issue with whirlwind and cleave, neither of which seem to be working. Game returns a "<Invalid WML found> [get_unit_resistance] not supported" message.
Delicius169

Post by Delicius169 »

same for Chaos ability on Exterminators scythe
I just finished it, to know how Queen of darkness has ended.
I equiped my army with weapons with misantropia, so I had no big troubles.
The biggest problem was when fighting with Bloody alience (bandtis), they didnt attack, or should I say suicide?, on my wariors.
Also when you visit map Fertile lands for the second time, there are unlimited number of enemies (3 are spawn each turn), and if you leave the map- north, and then come back, they are there in full force again.

I had feeling, that in every scenario, there is big difference in drop chance, or was it just my bad luck?

P.S. I really liked it, more then when I played it for first time.
And when you choose legacy in the beginning of the game, you cant choose Legacy of ice, and Free (I know they werent implemented in game when it was realesed.)

Edit: Is it based on the most famous part of Czech history acording to Jirásek, Nejedlý,...?
I have found out what is The Affably evil campain based on thanks to Lovercraft btw, but I am not sure about this one yet.
(de Rais, mixed with Machiavelli)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Scarheart wrote:I am experiencing an issue with whirlwind and cleave, neither of which seem to be working. Game returns a "<Invalid WML found> [get_unit_resistance] not supported" message.
I was not able to replicate it. Do you have the latest version of its dependency, Legend of the Invincibles? I think that it used to have such a problem. If yo do, please attach a save file where it can be seen.

Delicius169 wrote:Also when you visit map Fertile lands for the second time, there are unlimited number of enemies (3 are spawn each turn), and if you leave the map- north, and then come back, they are there in full force again.
You mean that you can exploit it by leaving the scenario unfinished and restarting it to get more experience? :augh:
Delicius169 wrote:I had feeling, that in every scenario, there is big difference in drop chance, or was it just my bad luck?
The drop rate is defined once for all scenarios without recruiting and once for all scenarios with recruiting. So it's the same in all scenarios where you can't recruit and the same in all scenarios where you recruit, but these two probabilities differ quite significantly.
Delicius169 wrote:And when you choose legacy in the beginning of the game, you cant choose Legacy of ice, and Free (I know they werent implemented in game when it was realesed.)
I have noticed that. I have moved the definition into LotI so that it does update with it, but I haven't published that update yet because there wasn't many changes in total.
Is it based on the most famous part of Czech history acording to Jirásek, Nejedlý,...?
The uprising of the Hussites? There is a large similarity, but no, it wasn't my source if inspiration. I haven't even noticed its similarity with these events until now.
I have found out what is The Affably evil campain based on thanks to Lovercraft btw, but I am not sure about this one yet.
Affably evil has nothing to do with Lovercraft. The story was based on clues about past from LotI, filled by trying to explain how could the few strange things in its beginning happen (Lethalia's name-to-run-away-from-very-fast, her quick move to necromancy, Delly not caring when Efraim left her etc.), gluing this together in a way that looks natural did not leave much space for additional ideas.