Carved in Stone 0.8.0 [SP Dwarven Campaign for 1.13]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Carved in Stone 0.6.0 [SP Dwarven Campaign for 1.12]

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey, just wanted to tell you that i feel like the update is going into the right direction! I like the wurgenroth story much more and the three new scenarios feel good. Of course the writing part is not as good as for the rest, but I guess that will improve with time. Also i like really much the changes that you have made to the already existing scenarios. Keep it up!
I found a few small bugs, nothing gamebreaking...
Sharpen on the other hand works fine for me!
Attachments
icesaint1_amlabug.JPG
icesaint1_amlabug.JPG (28.14 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
headhunter_advance_hp_bug.JPG
headhunter_advance_hp_bug.JPG (20.26 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
giant_troll_description.JPG
giant_troll_description.JPG (51.89 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

I thought heroic will eventually turn into some super awesome ability. In dragon trilogy (I'm not cent percent sure) for example you could unlock legacies which would later develop to some ability. Besides default as heroic is misleading, I chose it once or twice over others (including hp increase) thinking it'll eventually turnout to be a pleasant surprise :( . And when shall we expect next update (story-wise)?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

The next update will probably take some time. I am currently working on a major update for my other campaign.
zepko

Post by zepko »

Hey, this is just a quick bug report. I am playing version 0.6.0 on Wesnoth 1.12.0.
In scenarios "Towards the Barren Lands" and "Surghan" I'm rather sure that the line

Code: Select all

victory_when_enemies_defeated=no
is missing. Without this, the scenario is ended by killing the enemy leader and some events that should happen do not happen (yes, I checked the WML when I suspected something was not as it was supposed to be...). I will post a full review of the campaign after I have replayed these two scenarios with the fix.
The campaign is really nice and I am really enjoying it, so much that I am willing to replay two already won scenarios :)

EDIT. As promised, here is the full review of the campaign. First of all, let me repeat that the campaign is really nice, and I find it much better than the average of campaigns on the add-on server. The objectives are always very clear, the maps are nice and detailed, and the dialogues are well written (the last couple scenarios need more writing, but I guess you are still working on them...). So, let's go with a feedback on single scenarios. Replays are available upon request :)
Spoiler:
Then, about the campaign in general.
1. How difficult did you find the campaign as a whole? (1-10) Does the description 'Intermediate difficulty' fit well? 7.5, so it is definitely intermediate.
2. Was the main plot clear and interesting? Do you think the plot fits into the world of wesnoth? Yes, apart from the last couple scenarios, which might need more description/explanation.
3. Did you make use of the new dwarvish units? Did you find them interesting and fun? Were they balanced? Do they fit into the dwarvish race? The healer is an excellent addition! Although not too strong, his slowing attack is very useful too. Grim is an interesting character, but a good Dwarvish Lord is stronger... maybe because I have not fully upgraded him yet... Other units are nice too, such as the L3 gryphon, the L4 sentinel and the marksman. Icesaints, on the other hand, do not add much in my opinion.
4. How fun do you think the campaign as a whole is? (1-10) 8

Finally, a couple bugs.
1. Protect ability gives the following error when trying to see its description in the unit help: Parse error when parsing help text: 'corrupted original file'
2. Advancement to Dwarvish Headunter does not fully heal the unit.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Not sure if this is an issue but...
Spoiler:
Trying this one again, I like the hero units (when I first played it must've been a very early version, you could recruit the new dwarf units from the start). We'll see if I can get past the wall o' yetis this time :geek:

Did you know I made a yeti portrait? It's not the greatest but it exists: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... ay#p507212 :whistle:
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Whoops, yes, the .xcf file is an unused relict. The yeti portrait looks great! I can surely make use of it.

zepko: Thanks for your effort to make such a detailed feedback, that is exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for and it helps me a lot to improve the campaign!
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

I like it a lot so far. Just to report that in "Towards the Barren Lands", the objectives say "Grim reaches the northern end of the map", but just killing the enemy leader is sufficient.
Same problem in "Surghan": it says to activate the runes, but killing the enemy leader triggers the victory, but not the dialog.
In "Rock 'n Troll": "Gandael dies" is a winning condition, isn't that strange ?
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Raijer wrote:[...]
Yes, these things are not intentional. Thanks for pointing these out, they'll be fixed in the next version!
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I just started playing this campaign. The campaign seems interesting up till now and your new Dwarvish models rule :D

I wanted to report a spelling mistake, a grammar mistake and make a proposal in scenario "Old 'Friends'":
Onarr wrote:[...] Several group already passed.
-> Should be groups
Knup wrote:[...] Everybody that is not ready by sunset, will find himself [...]
-> I believe this comma should not be here.
Knup wrote:Moment, wait! [...]
-> Sounds strange to me, wouldn´t just "Wait!" be better?

Regards
Whiskeyjack

PS: I´m not sure about the synopsis to the Wesnoth timeline (what about the Northern Alliance (never mentioned) and the orcs are actually still part of the NA in the Silver Age, even with the conflicts growing more numerous and larger in scale).

Edit: The second Lighting AMLA for Skjol says +5 damage to spear but only adds +4.

Edit2: The third Lightning AMLA does not actually change the attack type to arcane.

Edit3: Scenario "Under the Stars":
This campaign is really fun and seems to have quite a lot of cool stuff. :)
A couple more annotations:
Arnthoc wrote:[...] There you will find your answers you are searching for. And the answers of the questions you did not ask yet. [...]
Should be "find the answers" and the answers to the questions.
Durmenthrain wrote:[...] Do not challenge his advice into question. You now know your path. Do not bear away from it.
-> Do not question his advice. You know your path now. Do not stray from it.
Durmenthrain wrote:Fate has it otherwise. Our determination is a different one.
Should probably be destiny.
Durmenthrain wrote:[...] But it is dubious if we can change fate.
Should probably be uncertain.

Edit4: Grim´s ability Bloodlust has no description what it does. Is it the same as in Dugi´s campaign?

Edit5: Scenario "Earth's Maw":
Raunzwig wrote:[...]We must revenge the people of Spellkeep!
-> avenge
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Thanks for having a look at the dialogues. It helps me a lot! I'll fix that accordingly.
Whiskeyjack wrote: Edit: The second Lighting AMLA for Skjol says +5 damage to spear but only adds +4.

Edit2: The third Lightning AMLA does not actually change the attack type to arcane.
[...]
Good catch, fix'd these.
Whiskeyjack wrote: Edit4: Grim´s ability Bloodlust has no description what it does. Is it the same as in Dugi´s campaign?
Bloodlust grants the unit another attack if it kills an enemy. I don't know about bloodlust in LotI.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hey,

starting from the scenario "Earth's Maw" (where he starts following you), Durmenthrain is displayed with the loyal badge instead of the silver crown. This was somewhat confusing to me because I once lost through him dying which I did not expect and before I realized the other Ice Saints had the silver crown I denied him exp, because I thought he would not have AMLAs (he actually did not reach his 30 EP before that point).

You can see this in the attached save file.
CiS-Earth's_Maw-Auto-Save1.gz
(84.52 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Edit1: Scenario "Towards the Barren Lands": You can end the scenario early by killing the orc boss. This is not specified in the scenario objectives and does not trigger any text from the characters.
Edit2: Same for scenario "Surghan".
Edit3: Scenario "Rock 'n Troll" updated objectives lists "Gandael dies" under win conditions instead of deafeat ones. Of the elves joining you all are loyal except the Enchantress. Is this intentional, or just overseen?
Spoiler:
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Whiskeyjack wrote:Also I did not really catch that "altvorderer" stuff. Does it mean, that Andurin became an "altvorderer" by activating the runes? I think the dialogues could use some clearer information here.
Yeah, the runes were crafted by the first runemasters of the dwarvish clans of the Heart Mountains (the whole setting of the scenario will be shifted from Mount Surghan to a peak of a mountain of the Heart Mountains in the next version) and their essence can only be taken up by the most experienced of runesmiths, which is - obviously - Andurin. These runes are like a "red button" for the dwarves: whenever the dwarvish race is in danger, a runesmith is chosen to ascend to the peak of the mountainside; he then engraves the runes into his armour/weapon and repels the danger (if everything works well).

It'll be fleshed out in the next version.
I also fixed the Durmenthrain bug, thanks for noting!
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Hi just finished 0.6.0 i believe.

Never got the point that the smuggler is more than a lvl 2 shooter. A hint about the hero like advances would be nice.

The ghostly dwarf (Kwandulin?) did not have any hero advances. That was disappointing.

The big axe which was dropped by a troll: I could pick it up with the tyrserker. Than it did nothing.

The tyrserker got bloodfrennzy and bloodlust. There was no description. Is it actually working?

The three ice funnies seems to be missing their 10th advancement. Is that intended?

The shell being dropped by a naga: Since it is at the far end of the map I got it with a gryphon. Kind of useless. Never recruited that bird again.

The crusader and the shooting dwarf have 2 advances from the start. Is that really the way? Maybe the base unit is to weak?

The end was a bit harsh. Maybe some more text and the hint that there will be more?
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Wussel wrote: Never got the point that the smuggler is more than a lvl 2 shooter. A hint about the hero like advances would be nice.
Sounds reasonable, I'll add this.
Wussel wrote: The ghostly dwarf (Kwandulin?) did not have any hero advances. That was disappointing.
Yes, he is a relict of a former version. He will be removed in the next version.
Wussel wrote: The big axe which was dropped by a troll: I could pick it up with the tyrserker. Than it did nothing.
Mhhh, that's strange. I'll take a look at it.
Wussel wrote: The tyrserker got bloodfrennzy and bloodlust. There was no description. Is it actually working?
The both abilities should work. I'll add a description.
Wussel wrote: The three ice funnies seems to be missing their 10th advancement. Is that intended?
No, that's not intended, I just hadn't a proper idea for a unique 10th advancement.
Wussel wrote: The shell being dropped by a naga: Since it is at the far end of the map I got it with a gryphon. Kind of useless. Never recruited that bird again.
Mhh, I agree that this one is a bit tricky. It was intended to be taken up by a hero unit, because they profit the most of the -15xp needed effect. I think I'll create a gryphon transport event to the northern part of the map so that the map doesn't solely consist of a gryphon battle.
Wussel wrote: The crusader and the shooting dwarf have 2 advances from the start. Is that really the way? Maybe the base unit is to weak?
If I strengthen the base unit, the AMLAs would catapult the two heroes over the top, I guess. Weakening the AMLAs however would prevent the player from actually feeding the heroes with XP as the advancements wouldn't worth it then.
Wussel wrote: The end was a bit harsh. Maybe some more text and the hint that there will be more?
I hope I am able to add the last scenarios in the next version.

Thanks for playing!
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

About the ice funnies 10th advancement: Inspire would be an option. Iluminate too. regenerate on ice or so.

The crusader is not exciting. He suffers from that slow leadership advances (1,2,3,fall asleep;) anyway. Giving 2 more attack and 1 more movement would not get him over the top.

The dwarvish shooter had exciting amlas. Spreading them out more while boosting the base unit a little bit might be possible.

I checked for the trollaxe: The effect was commented out in my version. The dialog: "Only for human" did not show.

The shell was doing 10% not 15points, when I had it. Like half intelligent;).

About the protect ability: I would find it much more meaningful if it adds 10 or 20 to any resistance (up to a total of 50). The units having steadfast are designed for it by having the resistance at 10, 20 or 30. Thus doubling is no big deal as it always gets you 10 or 20 total gain.

I liked the ghost dwarf. He was just not up to hero level. Anyway if you want to remove him. There are enough heroes around.

The leader is a real killing machine. The exp-points seems to be kind of wasted on him. Would be nice to have him with an additional softer attack, so he could softening targets up for others to farm.