TSP1: The Amaranthine Stone 1.0.9 - SP Campaign For 1.12.2

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wussel

Re: The Amaranthine Stone 1.0.4 - SP Campaign For 1.12.2

Post by Wussel »

I liked it. Story is cute.

I had some issues playing on normal. Nothing I could not solve with debug for gold and turns.

The dwarves storming out after the woses show up are ridiculous. They only play around with the first troll, which I left behind in his cave. I finally sent the wisp back to finish that.

The gold bonus for leader killing was far to little for me to be meaningful. I liked to bring my whole army to the battle which came to a total of 24 units. 400 gold worked fine for me.

As the minimum starting gold is 100: Winning with 5 recalls and the heroes should be possible. But how??? The berserks really cause some issues in later scenarios. I had much more Avengers than Champions, as I did not know about the multitude of berserk attacks.

Oh last thing: The center piece of furniture in your temple seems to be from this temple project:

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 45#p443351
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I found to cool looking knights made for Wesnoth. Would fit nicely in this campaign. Never seen before:

http://cwils132.deviantart.com/art/Phoe ... -372847142

http://cwils132.deviantart.com/art/Avenger-372846832

This is a wose style dragon. Maybe cool for you too. Wesnoth is credited. Guess that makes it licensed.

http://saurrian.deviantart.com/art/Wose-form-455891682

I am not sure if you giving proper credits for the dark knight you are using. I think it was from a fellow who started to draw a vampire faction and got pretty far.

About the trees: I spent efforts to level them. Would be nice to tell the player, that they are only for 1 scenario. The question with the griffons is the same. Better say option 1 means AI control and 2 is player control. But than you can keep them only for one more scenario.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hey Wussel:

Thanks for the comments. I am about to upload the new and (hopefully) final version of The Amaranthine Stone. I did put in a warning about the woses in the new version. I tried to find out who made the portrait I use for Malkor, but I could not. I just credited the era that I took it from, and if the artist wants a specific credit, I will do so. That wose dragon portrait is quite cool, but it would need a corresponding unit sprite, which we don't currently have. Personally, I use the dwarves in the Dwyllvyddn level. The first series of scenarios, of which Dwyllvyddn is one, are designed to allow the player to create an army of high level units so they can get through the later scenarios (and the berserkers) and arrive at the Void with sufficient strength to win. So the earlier scenarios are pretty easy. I will add that as the player has the option to control both the dwarves, and the Faranill elves, they don't actually have to be used to assist in the fight if it's too easy. The new version (1.12.3) has a tougher Void level for sure. The boss bonuses used to be more, but people were getting to the last level with way too much gold, so I reduced them. Thanks for taking the time to post.

-=FL=-
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
FaeLord

Re: The Amaranthine Stone 1.0.5 - SP Campaign For 1.12.2

Post by FaeLord »

New (and hopefully final) version is up. Note that the Amaranthine Stone Music add-on has also been updated so those who have may want to download the new version.

+ 1.0.5
* Added new scenario, The Path of Stars.
* Added two orc mini-factions (one with a nice berserker) to keep it lively.
* FIxed bug causing game not to load on Hard.
* Added 4th level (Scintillating Wisp) for Blink.
* Added a couple of new portraits
* Fixed a bunch of minor errors that don't affect gameplay but that bug the crap out of me personally.
* Blarg!

As always, please post any errors found to this thread and I will smite them with smitely power.

-=FL=-
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Are you telling me you can get dwarfs somewhere? I just had elves. That was a pain with the berserks. Maybe make the dialog consequences more clear?
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

The only scenario where the dwarves will fight with the elves is the Dwyllvyddn scenario. They don't go any further. I was speaking only of that specific scenario. I did tone down the berserkers in the Void level though in the new version. They were a bit excessive.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Thanks Wussel. I'll add him when I have a moment.
pyndragon

Post by pyndragon »

While working on my campaign project I discovered an issue in your _main.cfg: the [binary_path] is not inside the #ifdef CAMPAIGN block. This isn't always an issue, but can lead to unintentional art overrides between add-ons. In this case, I noticed that a story background was being overridden in The North Wind.
I'm not sure how widespread misplaced [binary_path]s are, but I discovered that mine had one incorrectly placed and one correctly placed :roll: :doh: so it's definitely not just you. Anyways, it'd be much appreciated if you'd move that so that I can enjoy your campaign(s) without messing up my workflow! :D

Thanks in advance!
AKA pydsigner
Current maintainer of The North Wind and author of Heroics Mode.
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

Thank you so much, FaeLord, for creating The Amaranthine Stone campaign. I really loved the story, characters, art, music, and level designs. This is favorite of all the Wesnoth campaigns I've played! It deserves to be part of the mainline campaigns.

The last 'Void' level was really hard; I couldn't believe I completed it. Unfortunately I had to cheat a bit to get there; after utterly failing once, I started over and did a lot of saving and reloading to ensure I was able to build an effective and sizeable army. I finished off the Void Sovereign at almost the final round (39?), after sacrificing almost my entire army.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hi Treehugger:

Thanks for the kind comments. I put a lot of effort into TAS, so it's always nice to hear from someone who likes it as much as I do. I just finished a new campaign, Alariel's Journey. If you liked TAS, you might enjoy that one too. I have always intended a sequel to TAS, but it takes so long to design, create and test a good campaign that I have no idea when I'll be able to get to it.

-=FL=-
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

Yes, over the weekend I searched for other campaigns you created, and got started playing Alariel's Journey! I'm halfway through and really enjoying it. Once again the art, music, story are wonderful, and the new unit types add a lot of interest. The sensibility reminds me just a bit of Miyazaki films, which I love.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Thanks again. Not really a Miazaki fan myself, other than for Princess Mononoke, but I respect his work. Alariel's Journey was originally created to see if I could make a Wesnoth oriented faerie tale for one, and also to see if I could create something that was targeted more towards female players. Of course, I tried to keep it balanced so guys could play it too. I'm male myself, and I liked it, so hopefully that will be a sufficient litmus test there.
I don't really see any of the stuff I've made ever going mainline. The mainline campaigns don't change very often at all. Plus, they have fairly specific guidelines as to what needs to be present in a campaign for that to happen and I already know mine don't have those things and changing them so that they do would destroy a lot of the originality to them. The Drums of War (if you end up playing it), was my first campaign, and it's not nearly as good as the other two. Thanks again for your kind comments. I'm always really happy when people take the time to post.

-=FL=-
treehugger

Post by treehugger »

I didn't mean to make a really direct comparison to Miyazaki films; since Alariel's Journey isn't really derivative of any of those. There are just a small handful of common elements which are pretty generic; for example, the portrayal of a strong, innocent, open-hearted young female heroine who learns a lot on the journey. It was the river god that reminded me of Spirited Away just a bit.

As I progressed further, I really enjoyed the goofy humor in Alariel's Journey, as well as the emotionally moving parts. I hope a lot of people discover both these campaigns. I had to do a lot of digging through the various Wesnoth add-on campaigns to find them, but now they are far and away my favorites. I do like the mainline campaigns do, because I'm a sucker for serious high fantasy stories. But yes, it would be nice to have more female characters, more humor, etc.

If only Wesnoth had more of a curation system for organizing and presenting the community add-ons...where creators could purvey groupings of related campaigns with a similar sensibility. It would also be nice to be able to sort/filter on which campaigns are more complete.

Anyway, thanks again for creating these campaigns; I can see from the credit that they are a huge collaboration among many parties, amazing for something done purely for volunteer effort and a labor of love.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Ah yes, the river god. I am a fan of animated movies of all sorts, and Japanese animation is often big on nature spirits. I would have worked a giant wolf god into the story too if I could have. The closest I got to that were werewolves though :twisted: . Just to be clear, I am not at all offended by the reference. Glad you liked the campaign. There are a few other campaigns out there that have great stories as well. I thought A New Order and To Lands Unknown were both very well done. There have been a ton of new campaigns released since I started playing Wesnoth, which is great to see. But, I haven't had time to play quite a few of them.