TSP1: The Amaranthine Stone 1.0.9 - SP Campaign For 1.12.2

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FaeLord

Re: The Amaranthine Stone 1.0.3 - SP Campaign 1.10.7

Post by FaeLord »

Hi Inky:

I sent you a PM in response to your post. Thanks for your comments. The last level is supposed to be a b*tch, but I will reiterate that there's an easy way to do it and a hard way. Thanks again!

FaeLord
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
manaknight

Post by manaknight »

I just finished playing through the campaign (normal level) and enjoyed it quite a lot: good storyplot, very good artwork and well-designed scenarios. Congratulations on a great job. Pity it is relatively short (and you never have too much variety of units, other than elves, blink and woses for a single scenario), but very entertaining.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hi manaknight:

The Amaranthine Stone evolved from something very simple, and that was that I wanted to play an elven campaign really bad. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one that I liked that I hadn't already played, so I had to make my own. That's why it's all elf all the time.

Even though it's only 10 scenarios, it took all of my free time for eight months to make, (when I said I really wanted to play an elven campaign, I wasn't kidding :twisted:). I do have one additional scenario (The Path of Stars) that I intend to add when time permits. Once there's a stable 1.12 I'll likely do a sequel at some point as well, mostly because I just like Elithiel too much to leave her story untold.
Spoiler:
Thanks for your comments! It's always great to know other players are enjoying the campaign.

-=FL=-
Aldarisvet
Translator

Re: The Amaranthine Stone 1.0.3 - SP Campaign For 1.10.7

Post by Aldarisvet »

Greetings, FaeLord.

Playing ur compaign on Hard, at the Void now. Scenario is great. Dialogs, plotline - really cool. I would say, much better then some of 'default' compaigns.

However game was quite easy for me. Most levels can be finished with 11 units - 5 heroes and 6 recruited at 1'st turn of first level (6 elvish shamans).
That 6 grows to shydes and sylphes. The pack of healers-slowers-magic_attackers kills all in its way. Often i play this way - for example i finished Burning Suns compaign this way.

However in level with woses i got trouble, after i killed 2 closest bosses i understood its inst so easy and had to make lot of save/load to save my units (often i dont do this at all but dont want to restart after killing 2 bosses), then retreated by Ciond to back, and recruited additional 6 elf warriors.
Thats cause of berserk goblins - they kills sylphs and shides at forest - urrrggg!!! But i killed almost all enemies to the moment i get Princess to that wose tree and was funny to see how dwarwes opened bridge to fight nothing. Truly he said, i left them noone to kill.

And yes, Desert Nagas snipers was a bit problem too, to that time i understand that i need some additional units to sacrifice them for enemy 1-st attack.

But what i wanted to say... I finished level with drakes in 4 turns. Is this supposed to be? Blink with arcane archer hero kills the drake king easely. As was said previously, Blink is really overpowered and can kill lot of orcs by himself alone.

Also i got some bug when in wose level some orc killed my unit and so orc get next level then game scenario crashed.

For now all, i will write when i finish compaign.

P.S. Wow, i saw the girl that made graphics for u is from Russia, how fascinating! Im from Russia too.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Ok i finished it, killed Void Lord.
Can't say it was hard level.
Whan u have 3 sidhe, 3 sylphas, 3 snipers and 3 elvish level3 swordsmans, plus 5 super heroes, it cant be hard. It took 32 turns and i have chosen left path.

Actually i was so ambitios that my first attempt was to attack stright with flying units, with 3 sidhes and Blink. Winged demons was killed easely during that way, but there are some flying [censored] that was especially good in killing Blink. May be i should get all 6 sidhe instead of sylphas.
So had to use ground way.

The compaign lefts very bright afterfeeling.

Still, i have to say that, i cant say levels vary one from each other in tactics. Every level at every turn u use magic attacks with almost every unit...

The only great surprise was with lot of berserker enemies around. Its hard to save everyone if berserkers attacking ur frontline units one after another.
Often i play companies with almost no losses at all, but this compaign i had 16 lost (with 372 killed). And i lost 0 units at last level.

I myself want to create a company, but most concentrated on tactics, not on graphics. I want every level had to have some special tactics linked with heroes special abilities, some idea for player to guess.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hey Aldarisvet:

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, Kimmira is Russian. I'll be using her for the art for the sequel to TAS also. I'm surprised anyone is still even playing this campaign as I haven't been able to get Wesnoth 1.12.whatever running on my old Mac G4. If you have your replays saved, I'd love to look at them. I've never actually play tested this on Hard, so it should be interesting. I'll take a look at that error too.

I've never tried going straight after Kai Kirin with Blink, but I'll give it a shot next time I play test this. I would think that his drake guards would be able to take Blink out pretty easily - at least, they're supposed to. I have made changes to the campaign already that tone Blink down and make the levels a bit more challenging due to other comments made by players, but I won't be uploading any new versions until I have it ready for 1.12.

I promised Kimirra that I'd get this campaign translated into Russian eventually, so if you know anyone who might be willing to do so after I have the new version finished, feel free to let me know.

Thanks again!
-=FL=-
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I'm surprised anyone is still even playing this campaign as I haven't been able to get Wesnoth 1.12
My _info.cfg files shows this:
___
type="campaign"
uploads="4"
version="1.0.3"
___

I guess thats means only 4 persons uploaded and played u company in wesnoth 1.10??? Thats very pity result for such a HUGE work and more, for so much of ur lifetime used. U definetely should advertise u compaign more agressively.

Actually i downloaded u compaign cause it was largest, 80mb, i wanted to learn from experiensed developer.
15 years ago i made a campaign in Starcraft:Brood War game, i have to say that the map editor in that old game allowed much more then modern in Wesnoth 1.12 lol... And here u have to make all manually, all encoding...

Yes i have the replays... I just looked how i finished first 2 levels. You will be shoked how i played it i think... Very underestimating the creator )
I dont even cared to use all gold to recruit and dont even bothered to took villages.

How can i send u replays?
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Aldarisvet wrote: 15 years ago i made a campaign in Starcraft:Brood War game, i have to say that the map editor in that old game allowed much more then modern in Wesnoth 1.12 lol... And here u have to make all manually, all encoding...
Yeah I know the editor you are talking about, I also made campaigns in that 15 years ago...

IMO its better for kids who don't know how to program, but for an adult its much better to use wesnoth-style system. It is a pain in the butt to have to write a program through these gui drop-down menus, and very hard to read your program at the end. Or for anyone else to look at your program and see how it works. IMO programming is better to do in a traditional way with text files.

The good part about drop down menus is that it prevents you from making syntax errors, and WML syntax errors can be pretty annoying. YMMV I guess.

Realistically it would be hard to convert wesnoth to use a gui system like that, because WML is not a rigorously specified language. We change stuff around fairly frequently, and if that would break this gui thing every time we did, it would be a headache.
Aldarisvet wrote: How can i send u replays?
You can just post the save file as an attachment to forum post.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Here, 1st five.
Attachments
AmarnthStn-Faranill_Forest_повтор.gz
(45.98 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
AmarnthStn-The_Druid's_Cir..._повтор.gz
(29.33 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
AmarnthStn-Dark_Descent_повтор.gz
(23.2 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
AmarnthStn-Fellmarch_Fens_повтор.gz
(26.48 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
AmarnthStn-Wylfryd_Village_повтор.gz
(21.26 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

More 5 here then.

Last level have no saved replay for reason i dunno. So i just uploaded last turn save.

I hope u get a pleasure watching this... as author... at least i can give some in exchange for the game i played.

However, i repeat, i suspect u will be shoked how easely u campaign was broken through even in 'Hard' level, AI is totally helpless.
Attachments
AmarnthStn-The_Void-Автосохр32.gz
(86.11 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
AmarnthStn-The_Dry_Lands_повтор.gz
(60.7 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
AmarnthStn-Karesh_'en_Khar_повтор.gz
(33.33 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
AmarnthStn-Dwyllvddn_повтор.gz
(62.57 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
AmarnthStn-The_Giants'_Ma..._повтор.gz
(37.35 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Thanks Aldarisvet. I'll take a look at these this weekend. I design campaigns based on my own playing style, so it's always nice to see how other players approach it. As far as being experienced, I've only put out two campaigns, so I'm still a learner myself. The large file size is due mostly to sound effect and music files. I'm working on setting up an era that I can build campaigns off of in the future so I don't have to include that stuff in every campaign. Having the replay save re-activated for future versions is on my list. I don't even remember why I turned it off.

I'm not sure where you got the download numbers you did, but before 1.12 came out, I had several thousand downloads for TAS and it seemed to be doing pretty good on that score. Kind of a bummer that 1.12 was released so soon after I completed this campaign, but I'll get a version up for 1.12 as soon as possible.

-=T=-
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hi Aldarisvet:

I took a look at most of those replays. I see what you mean about that four turn victory at Karesh 'en Khar. I'll definitely have to work on that. Thanks for your help on this. Those replays have given me a lot of good ideas for improvements.

-=FL=-
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Glad to be helpful.

I also want to mention that for elves the strategy is quite simple. Just always put units on front at stright line so one unit cant be hit more then with 2 units at turn, rotate wounded units, slow as much enemy units as u can, put healers to heal units which suppoused be hit most next turn, and finish most wounded enemy units asap. Needless to say about putting units on forest.
This work for all of levels u made, so thats make ur campaign really monotone in tactics. Alas( So i played only for storyline which is really fascinating and touching.

And in most situations actually i dont even bothered to follow the tactics rule i writed above. I just go stright to kill bosses from start.
I think that in ur campaign is really to make army of 10 sidhes and do all work only with them and Blink. It would be really fun to finish last level by winged fleet flying through void stright to the demon void boss. It would be original. I like nonstandart solutions )

I also suggest u to play multiplayer for some weeks, if u dont, it radically improves u skills.

I am studying code of your campaign now, to learn WML. I am always prefer learn programming on live examples, not on documentation.

What i have to say. I really like you, Faelord, just for this:

# [message]
# speaker=Elithiel
# message=_ "Holy crap! What was that?"
# [/message]
# [message]
# speaker=Ciond
# message=_ "'Tis the endlevel test, methinks."
# [/message]
# [message]
# speaker=Elithiel
# message=_ "Oh right."
# [/message]
# [message]
# speaker=Elithiel
# message=_ "Ok, go ahead then. We're ready."
# [/message]
# [message]
# speaker=Alindra
# message=_ "Are you ready, Mograth?"
# [/message]
# [message]
# speaker=Mograth
# message=_ "I am."
# [/message]
# {DELAY 750}
# [kill]
# side=2,3,4,5,6,7
# [not]
# id=Mograth
# [/not]
# animate=no
# [/kill]
# [harm_unit]
# [filter]
# id=Mograth
# [/filter]
# amount=100
# [/harm_unit]
Last edited by Aldarisvet on March 1st, 2015, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Yes, ye olde end level test. I completely forgot about that. I have occasionally wondered if anyone would ever see the crazy notes in some of those config files. Studying other people's wml files is very helpful. I think you'll find my style to be very simple, however. If you check out my posting profile you'll see that the majority of my posts are in the WML forum, and that's because I had to ask a lot of questions while I was programming this campaign. I'm not a great programmer, and doing the Amaranthine Stone was a learning experience for me. Now, with 1.12, the standards have changed. I won't likely be able to get a computer that will run 1.12 until this summer, and then I'll be posting more questions in the WML forum again. :lol:
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

I won't likely be able to get a computer that will run 1.12 until this summer
Till summer omg. I thought that in US even a dog have a modern PC. You need to buy Mac only? Needed just 100$ to buy on-windows desktop as i know.