TSP1: The Amaranthine Stone 1.0.9 - SP Campaign For 1.12.2

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hack3r90

Re: The Amaranthine Stone 1.0.9 - SP Campaign For 1.12.2

Post by Hack3r90 »

I really enjoyed this campaign, it was really well done, in the last scenario i manage to won with 228 gold and a few lvl3 and lvl2 troops i recalled. then i defeated the final boss using the nova attack, followed by blink second attack, to finish him with some arrows form ciond. all of my troops were really low hp in the and, around 2-7 .
:P :D

p.s. sorry if my english is bad, i'm italian XD
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hi Hack3r90:

I'm glad you liked the campaign. I'm currently working on the sequel to TAS and hope to have it done in a few months.

-=FL=-
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

@ Hack3r90: I really enjoyed this campaign
Same here! Just finished it – and I have chosen TAS because my gaming experience is enhanced by the music of Wesnoth! :D It was a delight to listen to treasures of the UMC jukebox in ideal settings and superbly adjusted to suit specific moments.

By the description it seemed to be a quite easy mission... Dear me, how wrong I was. The old times were pretty rough, civilization has certainly dulled the edge of all races – not to mention their camouflage capabilities!
I had tremendous problems ( difficulty NORMAL :? ), the low turn limits didn't favor my tactics, there was never enough gold to implement cool strategies... Poor Ciond engaged the arch foe with merely 5 veterans, Blink performed the biggest task of his life, and - unlike Hack3r90 - my heroes returned home with a massive amount of debt. Blargh, at least they had the stone...

Now, this experience was NOT frustrating, but motivating – the good music really helped very much when restarting a scenario striving for a better approach and taking a better look at those over one hundred new unit types.

TAS holds many surprises, good old Kalenz got ancestors who rival his age, goblins are more than orcish cannon fodder... it's fun to rush after the unfading gem!
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hi Chewan:

Thanks for posting. I got your translation, and have answered your questions, to a certain extent anyway, in a pm. I'll get a corrected version of TAS uploaded as soon as possible so the translation can be complete. As for the goblins, I've always had a soft spot for them and have considered that they are both an under-utilized and under-developed group.

-=FL=-
mirror1

Post by mirror1 »

Hi FaeLord. Somehow your campaign slipped by my eyes several times but eventually I got to play it and it is an awesome adventure, one of the finest campaigns along a few others of my favorite in the Wesnoth add-on collection. The balance of the game makes each battle more exciting. in some scenarios, it is to be so overwhelmed at first only to discover later that the enemy is not really so formidable, and with a little courage and a bit of good luck the tide was turned. The size of the battles is perfect for my taste and there is always some nice surprise await. The dialogues are so well written. I especially love the little gems that you tossed here and there…

“The Path of Stars is never an easy journey, even under the best of circumstances.”

“A good fight, that. Bracing! Good for the heart!”

“You are a wisp-friend. After all, we all know what is said of them.”

Just a couple of quotes from the story. There are many more. And beautiful they are! Sometimes it seems that I go through all the ordeals of the games just to find a precious truth and when it comes that is the most delightful moment. With the same hope we go through our daily life aren’t we?

I did played also your other campaigns The Drums of War which has quick and good battles, and the Alariel's Journey I played quite long ago so unfortunately I almost forgot, the only memory is it is kind of short and cute :-)

Thank you for your hard work and the hard work of programmers and artists in this beautiful community and thank you for saving me from the inconvenient feeling of squandering my time :-)
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hi mirror1:

Sorry for the late reply. I've been having some computer issues. I'm glad that you liked the campaign. I'm in the process of creating the next installment in the TAS line, The World Seed. As part of that process, I will be updating TAS, although there will not be any major changes to the story line. Feel free to check out The World Seed art thread for a glimpse of some of the new characters that will be making their debut in the next installment.

-=FL=-
Losthunter
Location: Well... I don´t know... maybe I should ask someone...?

Post by Losthunter »

Amaranthin stone is really story-based campaing and... It is great :) . Leveling main characters is really usefull and (whats really important) fun. Every mission is specific and last mission in the void is pretty hard and epic. Maps are looking nice and realistic (well... in dimension of fantasy world (void just cant look realistic :lol: ). The story is original and it is still running ahead. I really like this campaing and only things I did not were: arogance of characters and Elithiels naivety (but arogance suits to elves just fine :twisted: ). I will absolutely play another of your campaings.
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Hi Losthunter:

Glad you liked the campaign. Yes, everything I do is story based and the sequel to TAS is even more so. The elves can be arrogant, at least from a human perspective, especially Ciond. But, that is part of his character. Elithiel is far less naive in the next installment of this trilogy, The World Seed, but no less idealistic. That, however, is the nature of a wisp-friend, and this is what often leads them to an untimely demise. Whether or not it will in her case remains to be seen. What is certain is that by the end of the trilogy Elithiel will accomplish extraordinary things.

-=FL=-
FaeLord

Re: TSP1: The Amaranthine Stone 1.0.9 - SP Campaign For 1.12

Post by FaeLord »

There used to be a rain terrian. Does anyone know where I can find that?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I think Flight to Freedom has it, or at least it did years ago...
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Current version does not and I do not have anything older. Anyone have this rain terrain?
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

To Lands Unknown (scenario: "Far North") has an animated rain effect - is that what you're looking for?
Attachments
rain.png
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

That should do it, I think. I know nothing about terrain programming so I’ll see what can be done about making it into a terrain option I can access from the editor later. Thanks for helping me find it.
Xara

Post by Xara »

This campaign claims to be of beginner to intermediate difficulty, so I played on hard. And that's really hard.

In almost every scenario I had to fight in adverse situations. Started losing since the first scenario, because I backed up a little when the enemies got reinforcement at turn 8, but the ally peasants mindlessly did the suicidal rush so I failed protecting them. In the next few scenarios I realized that I gave too much xp to units other than the heroes. It's crazy how easily these lvl.3 units can get slaughtered in later scenarios. To control the battle size, you let the enemies recruit an elite army of smaller size. I like the design choice, but one side effect is that it gives the enemy too much breakthrough power. Basically they can kill the first few of whatever units they saw. And the enemy got some really powerful units. The lv.3 Goblin Berserkers can already win the duel against my Avengers in forest on their own, and it's often combo-ed with Slow. The naga run as fast as my elvish horse on flat, and the goblin's forest move cost is 1. Everybody hits as hard as a truck, and the Drake became one of the easiest enemies. The ToD system also always favor the enemies except against the Drakes. Everything adds up and the campaign is pretty hard overall. Aldarisvet claimed he could win the campaign with 6 Shyde + 5 heroes, I can only imagine I am playing with a really different version from his.

At two points I thought the game was impossible. The first was in the Wose scenario, I had to do mid-turn SL because I forgot to get the Woses. But I triggered the event afterwards, and could see that the scenario is pretty doable. The second is the last scenario. Maybe it was because I moved my Blink straightly downward and triggered the Void Lord by turn 4. I knew I probably shouldn't do that, but I liked that the minor enemies were cleared by the event, so I went on. Then it's fighting against flying enemies on narrow cave bridges, and I really can't see how I can protect my important units there. I collapsed when a hero got killed by the nightstalk demon, and just debugged to see the end game cutscenes.

In general, I like the campaign. I like that the battle size is proper, and that the gameplay only mildly differ from mainline wesnoth (with custom units and a few items), which is enough to make things interesting but also don't overwhelm player with new things to learn. Story-wise the campaign reminds me of some Japanese games I used to play, Langrisser comes into my mind here.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Xara:

Thanks for your comments and I'm glad you liked the campaign. In TAS, EASY would be considered beginner level, NORMAL would be intermediate and HARD would be advanced. I base intermediate on what I can beat relatively easily and still have an enjoyable game. I admit that I made HARD on this campaign really hard, in part because Aldarisvet beat it so easily. Honestly, his savegame files were very instrumental in developing the final version. In the sequel to TAS, The World Seed, EASY will be based on what I can beat easily, so that campaign will likely be more challenging for most players.

-=FL=-