The Stone of the North [Feedback and development]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Stone of the North [Feedback and development]

Post by WhiteWolf »

Glad you liked it so far, sorry for the late response.
The Haunted Forest needs rebalancing anyway, with the 1.12 publish that will be done too.

WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

The campaign's beta phase is now finished! 1.2.0 is published.
Further patches only on requests like bug issues or stuff.

Thanks for playing :)
Stay tuned,
WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

Just started playing but wanted to let know that the stronghold mode is AWESOME. I'd love to see more variations on that. It really breaks the routine of wesnoth, thanks for that ^.^

The invisible Skeletons are back, btw (First encountered in First Scenario (Stronghold))

It may be that I am just reaaaally bad at this, but, First Optional quest, get more info on the necro-laboratory. All I find on the map is a kitchen knife, I own every village, I killed the Enemy leader with and without the kitchen knife and with and without another enemy standing (which die with him anyway). I really don't know what to do with that. If anybody could throw me a bone and tell me that'd be great. Just so I understand the nature of thos Optional Quests and what I didn't consider when failing.

Edit: Sorry, missed the piece of paper in the upper right corner -.-
I do GPE(Genuine Playing Experience), Screenshot-reinforced and detailed Bug-Reports for Campaigns. If you want me to check yours, be it Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta or finished, let me know. Since I don't know anything about coding, I'll be unable to tell you why something bad happens though. PM me.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Invisible skeletons appear everywhere, because I added the Death Squire to standard units by making a double to the skeletons, and at that time I didn't use [base_unit], just a simple copy, and in 1.12, the skeleton pictures received a sub-folder, this is why no pictures are located. It will be fixed everywhere soon :)
Stronghold mode is supposed to re-appear in the Desolation of Karlag, on the last 2 maps, slightly varied :)

EDIT:
Quickly uploaded 1.2.1 to repair blank skeletons, since you are pretty much up against undead, it must be ugly to have them all invisible.
Download it, and it should be fine.
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

Modifying Edit, so you don't have to read all that crap^^

I found no Bugs worth mentioning. Some minor Naming mistakes (like 2 Orc-Factions with one of them being actually Undead), that one OQ which's reward isn't given.

This Campaign is incredebily good designed. Very Fun. While it lacks some very interesting Features from "The Blind Sentinel", to me, this one here is the better Campaign. The Balancing is also nicely done. I surely will have alot of strategic fun on harder difficulties.

Anyway, one very noticable thing should be mentioned regardless...
Spoiler:
Might wanna end <b> with </b> instead of </i>

I also wonder if the Starting Gold of this (probably last) Scenario got mixed up with a harder Difficulty:
Spoiler:
^^
Last edited by Krolan on December 21st, 2014, 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I do GPE(Genuine Playing Experience), Screenshot-reinforced and detailed Bug-Reports for Campaigns. If you want me to check yours, be it Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta or finished, let me know. Since I don't know anything about coding, I'll be unable to tell you why something bad happens though. PM me.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,
Yep, definitely wanna start both i and b, and close both of them :)
On the final map the enemy receives that much gold, because the map thas the 24-hours-schedule. I just wanted to try what it feels like. Well, it feels like pretty unbalanced for the enemy, so they are back up with tons of gold supply.

Glad you liked it :)
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

WhiteWolf wrote: On the final map the enemy receives that much gold, because the map thas the 24-hours-schedule. I just wanted to try what it feels like. Well, it feels like pretty unbalanced for the enemy, so they are back up with tons of gold supply.
After Playing it, I agree with your decision. It didn't feel unfair in the least once I started playing it, but while planing I was definitely unsure as to how save vormund at all (since he receives only 6 units from his startig gold). On harder difficulties this will be a hard nut to crack^^

Uhm.... I hope this is not breaking the mission, but...

Mal-Talar was supposed to drop 5 stones, drops only 4...
Spoiler:
The nameless one drops the 4 he was supposed to.
Spoiler:
The Characters however talk about there being 9 on the field. So now I'm worried.

Edit: ...

It breaks the game. No ninth Stone means even the "One" who can kill Karlag gets vaporized.
Spoiler:

On second Try....
Spoiler:
Guess I'll have to redo this fight from the start (wasn't playing smart on second try, since I just wanted to find out if it is generally impossible or if I just got unlucky). Oh well.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Vormund will definitely receive more gold, I tested it too, it's hard to save him.
There is no possible way Mal-Talar could have dropped only 4 stones...they are scattered at a radius of 7 though, maybe one got to the far edge, and you missed it by accident? If you have autosave, please load and double-check it.
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

Have Auto-Save.

As you can imagine, since I was practically through with the scenerio, once I noticed it, I hundred-checked it before claiming that it is so. Anyway, here are Screenshots of the whole possible scenery. Hope these help.

Right Half
Spoiler:
Left Half
Spoiler:
If you tell me how to properly upload a save-file, I'll gladly provide it.

Edit:
Brought myself to do the fight again. Vormund died out of major stupidity (Attacking a full life Dark Mage while having 6 Lifepoints (Got really unlucky with the attack of a Skeleton Archer (Tier-2) and the Dark Mage himself.). He could have easily reached a city to the left, unreachable for Swamp-tiles and his just summoned Paladin, but NOOOOOO...

So I fought again, this time won it, finally. :)
Spoiler:
Regarding OQ's. I'm pretty sure I know which 2 I missed. First, I didn't find one in "The Swamp", at all. And all other scenerios before that, and the one after that, has OQ's. Second, I'm pretty sure there are two optional quests when entering the fortress where I search the catacombs for Karlags body. The one is his secret passage, which I found and got notified for, the other one was "Find a weapon that is good against ghosts". I found the useless 3-3 Arcance Sword (in the dark that is), but didn't get notified for solving the OQ.

I wonder if there is a higher rank if you solved all OQ's. Like "King" xD. I also now really wonder what the other ranks say. Oh well...

Either way, awesome Campaign. Really Awesome.

Regarding the Stone-Drop-Bug. I thought about it. Maybe there is this ONE point, where a stone can randomly land, but can't actually exist there. I don't know if you can code 7-Tile-Randomness and include an exception for "Where the Leader Stands", or something like that. Just guessing here. Maybe the stone did drop, but is overlayed with a tile which is fixed in the foreground and therefor invisible. The Probability of this happening, however, seems to be very small, probably trackable to my general ultra-bad-luck I sometimes have. Oh well... :)

Onwards to the final part of "The Underness" *rides forth*
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

No, collecting a weapon against ghosts is only a hint, not an actual OQ.
I remember that there is none on The Swamp, because it's a short one.
The catual list of OQ:
Spoiler:
I still have no idea about the dropped stone bug :hmm: It is made sure by a variable calc. never to allow them to overflap each other, that can't happen. I really don't know. :whistle:

Thanks for the report, a small repair patch for these few hickups is due. :)
WhiteWolf
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

Well, as I said, it seems to be very unlikely, like a 1/1000 chance of it actually happening (I decided to save right before killing Talar, which allowed me to try again and again, and of course, the bug is not reproducable)

The 19th seems to be the one I missed ^^' or... no... I did that one... What? Holy Water? o.O guess I just overran the enemy so bad, that I never was aware of that. Damn. I'll check that when I'm through with Western Invasion (that's how I call it^^')

Merry Christmas :)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Actually that might have been the buggy one...works here for sure now, but I don't know if it was fixed for 1.2.1 or not...never mind, a patch is due today, that will definitely fix that one.
Spoiler:
Merry Chrinstmas! :)
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Uploaded 1.2.2 with these minor fixes.
- Balanced rating
- Fixed map21 OQ for sure
- few small bug issues
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

Hey WhiteWolf, Happy New Year :D

Hope everything is alright with the your tribe.

I didn't know about the holy water. Maybe I didn't pay attention. I'm not that big of a perfectionist though (.... not anymore, that is :P ...).

It's amazing how effeciently and quick you update your stuff and fix it, too :) Can't wait for the 5th part. (Or the finished first part for that matter)

Take care, friend :)
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi, thanks, bit late, Happy New Year 2003 - sorry, using internet explorer. (Yeah, I know everyone makes this joke, I had to, too.)

Sorry for being late anyway, actually I could start writing in German now - had a language exam, that took up my time.
Karlag's gonna be finished pretty soon and then it's fresh meat.
I usually write new parts in the beginning of Summer, and finish them by mid/late August. 5th part is due then :)

Regards,
WhiteWolf