Solo Tower Defence Revisited

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rove

Solo Tower Defence Revisited

Post by Rove »

Hi Guys,

I have edited the Solo Tower Defence scenario originally created by SpookyMagician. Even though I enjoyed his final version 2.5, it was basically unbeatable even on easy. And believe me, I've tried a lot.
I therefore rebalanced the scenario, added new abilities to purchase, cleaned up the interface, rewrote the help dialogue and the introduction, and also added a feature for you to take direct control of towers.
Based on comprehensive beta-testing by my beloved girlfriend, this version seems to be bug free. Just extract the file in the attachment into your campaign folder.
I hope you enjoy it, if you have comments please leave them below.

[edit 1]
The first version didn't work for the development version of Wesnoth. I successfully fixed it and updated the attachment.

[edit 2]
Responding to some useful reports, I have updated the scenario to:
  • 1. be listed after the main campaign by changing the rank value (which I didn't know about previously)
    2. use relative paths rather than absolute ones (which should resolve the issues when putting it into the add-on directory people were having)
    3. also be playable as a multiplayer scenario (in a separate single file).
This is for people that don't want to add a single scenario campaign into their campaign folder but are okay with trying it in multiplayer mode. Unfortunately prior to Wesnoth version 1.11.6 it is not possible to select difficulty settings in multiplayer scenarios, which includes the current stable version. I have provided two variants of the scenario: one for versions higher than 1.11.6 which allows selecting the difficulty and one for versions below that, which has the difficulty set to HARD. The second version also needs to be told to use AI control for sides 2 and 3, even though this is preset in the scenario. This issue is gone in newer versions.

[edit 3]
Changing the load order broke the assassins streak upgrade in both multiplayer and campaign mode. Fixed.
I also want to add that the multiplayer version is still single player, it just shows up under the multiplayer setup in Wesnoth.
Attachments
1p_SoloTowerDefence.cfg
Multiplayer Version (for Wesnoth < 1.11.6)
(72.85 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
1p_SoloTowerDefence.cfg
Multiplayer Version (for Wesnoth >= 1.11.6)
(74.28 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Solo_Tower_Defence.zip
Campaign Version
(26.25 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Last edited by Rove on August 30th, 2014, 11:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Chief_Chasso

Re: Solo Tower Defence Revisited

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Hi Rove,
I've made an attempt to play, but got this error (I'm playing on 1.11.15):
The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
Solo Tower Defence

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Macro/file 'campaigns/Solo_Tower_Defence/scenarios' is missing
at ~add-ons/Solo_Tower_Defence/_main.cfg:44

Also, this "campaign" shows up in the middle of the mainline campaign list.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
Rove

Post by Rove »

I tested it in the latest stable version (1.10.7) under Mac OS and Windows. It should definitely work there. I am also going to take a look using the latest Developer version (1.11.16) and see if I can make it work there. I will upload it once I have that sorted out.
Thank you for letting me know :).
Rove

Post by Rove »

I was able to reproduce and fix the loading error you were getting. The attachment in the first post has been updated.
Also, this "campaign" shows up in the middle of the mainline campaign list.
I realise that it's not a campaign, but I'm not aware of another place it could be put. Where should it be and how would I get it there?
lainme

Post by lainme »

I encountered the same problem as Chief_Chasso after installing it by copying the files to the add-on directory (~/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10/data/add-ons under linux). The solution is changing the path 'campaigns/Solo_Tower_Defence/' to '~add-ons/Solo_Tower_Defence/' in '_main.cfg' and 'scenarios/TD-1.cfg'.

I think it could be put into the multiplayer scenarios.
darknear

Post by darknear »

When placed in the addons map I get the following error when loading the campaign:

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded: Solo Tower Defence

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Macro/file 'campaigns/Solo_Tower_Defence/scenarios/TD-1.cfg' is missing
at ~add-ons/Solo_Tower_Defence/_main.cfg:43

wesnoth version: 1.11.15

now that I look at it again that's actually logical, there's no campaigns in addons -.-' sorry for that.

EDIT: even when you change the link to addons/solo_tower_defence etc. it gives this error, it seems to be unable to find TD-1.
Rove

Post by Rove »

Thanks @ darknear and lainme for your feedback. I have changed the absolute paths to relative ones which hopefully resolves your issues. Interestingly, this only seems to work for the _main.cfg, not for any included file, no matter which combination I tried. So now the _main.cfg includes all the relevant files.
I also changed the rank to 400 as advised in the Wesnoth wiki which should also resolve Chief_Chassos complaint about showing up in the middle of the campaign list.
Anyways, I hope it works for you guys, I've tried it with the stable and developer version under Mac OS.

[edit]
Testing revealed that Assassins Streak broke when I rearranged the files. The event detecting the death of an enemy unit and allowing another attack was moved outside of the scenario tag, where it is silently ignored, rendering the ability useless. That has been fixed for all versions.
hay207
Double Style Tourney #1 Champ

Post by hay207 »

So, Inorder for this to work as a single campaign you have to extract the file Solo_Tower_Defence directly under ~/.local/share/wesnoth/1.12/data/add-ons and delete the macos file..

As regards multiplayer, place this file 1p_SoloTowerDefence.cfg into /usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.12/data/multiplayer/scenarios and it worked for me..

Why isn't this in the addons server, it is a new type of play ,that should be always encouraged, i also wonder why SpoOkyMagician blocked his thread in here :

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... ce#p324938
Keep up the good work.
Ports: Velensk's tower defense, dov's deep shrine, Scrolling survival, Scrolling survival Co-op, Temples of the nagas.
Addons: Tower defense maps , some ANL scenarios like: ANL 3p "A New Land" survival type, and ANL Co-operative map for 2p