Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: Aria of the Dragon-Slayer (SP Campaign for 1.11)

Post by revansurik »

Folks, I have uploaded version 0.2.5 of the ASoF Music Pack with 3 new songs that will feature in later scenarios of AotDS, please download it for increased epicness :lol:
BTW, I'm 60% done with the next arc, The Far North; expect to find key elements that will lead Tenma closer to her destiny... ;-)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

You know what would lead Tenma even closer to her destiny? Fixing the Dead Caves bug, so that I can keep playing. :D
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

marecki wrote:You know what would lead Tenma even closer to her destiny? Fixing the Dead Caves bug, so that I can keep playing. :D
:lol:
I'm going to upload the correction of this bug together with the next arc, I should be done with it by the end of the next week ;-)
Sorry for taking so long to upload new versions, I've been constantly busy in the last months with RL stuff, and most of my free time is being used for writing AotDS :)

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Sirry for the double post, but I just had an idea about the bug in the dwarvish branch of Dead Caves; seems like I forgot to define the starting places of both Tenma and Augdras when designing the map :annoyed:
I'm placing the corrected map's file as attachment, for those who don't want to wait until the next release; just download the file and paste it in the maps folder of the campaign, and it should work fine. Don't forget to restart the scenario from the AotDS-Dead Caves.gz file, or the changed map won't be loaded ;-)
Attachments
07_Dead_Caves_Dwarf.map
(7.52 KiB) Downloaded 367 times

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

Worked like a charm, thanks!
marecki

Post by marecki »

Dead Caves - whoopee, I can continue! This one is easy-peasy, dwarves rush forward and reveal shadows (and die in the process :twisted:), while Tenma cleans up. Like in most scenarios so far, fire and air embodiments are simply too good.

Cold Mountains - nicely drawn map. The other two factions possibly have too much gold. In my game they practically overwhelmed the undead - when I got to the source, troll mystics were burning down the last draugs and a troll actually triggered the win as soon as turn 10 (right when the "big wave" was supposed to spawn).

Mother of Death - is it intentional that the early finish bonus here is only 2 gold per turn? It looks like an oversight. Ashura never uses her "ultimate" attack (25-10 plus some fancy effects?). Then again, her regular ranged attack does 17-5, so she already pretty much one-shots everything.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

marecki wrote:Dead Caves - whoopee, I can continue! This one is easy-peasy, dwarves rush forward and reveal shadows (and die in the process :twisted:), while Tenma cleans up. Like in most scenarios so far, fire and air embodiments are simply too good.

Cold Mountains - nicely drawn map. The other two factions possibly have too much gold. In my game they practically overwhelmed the undead - when I got to the source, troll mystics were burning down the last draugs and a troll actually triggered the win as soon as turn 10 (right when the "big wave" was supposed to spawn).

Mother of Death - is it intentional that the early finish bonus here is only 2 gold per turn? It looks like an oversight. Ashura never uses her "ultimate" attack (25-10 plus some fancy effects?). Then again, her regular ranged attack does 17-5, so she already pretty much one-shots everything.
The 2 gold per turn bonus seems to be part of the core game; I didn't define it to be like this...
Yeah, I often get frustrated when I give an enemy awesome powers and it keeps using only one - I gave Stygia from WotJ such a vast array of awesome speel and she kept using March of the Cacodaemones :roll:

;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

And so I'm releasing the next arc in Tenma's aria: The Far North! :-D
In this version, I've also corrected bugs from the first 19 scenarios; development of the next arc starts tomorrow, so Ancient Realms should be done by the first or second week of July :-)
A little note: you may notice that I put a PG-10 rating in the campaign's add-on description. That's due to the portrait I used for the mermaid Derceto; I don't think it's obscene in the least, but some may think it is, so I place this PG as a warning ;-)

Changelog for version 0.1.0:

Code: Select all

- Scenarios:
    - The Far North arc (scenarios 20 to 26) completed
	- Siege of Shek'harya: increased elvish side's gold a bit; corrected bug which made Dragana recruit saurians
	- Dead Caves (dwarvish branch): corrected bug which prevented Tenma from appearing
- Units:
    - Modified the HP increase for each AMLA ofo both Tenma and Kenshiro
	- Corrected bug which replaced Tenma's vine attack's slow by a marksman special
	- Loyals in the second scenario now have loyal icon
	- Corrected missing attack icons for Sogen Huntress and Priestess, and also for Kenshiro's slashing wind attack

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

Thanks for the update!
However, I am unable to load any scenario after upgrading to 0.1.0. ("unknown scenario ..." error pops up).

Some random feedback:

Swamp of Ten Thousand Spears - this scenario shows how overpowered true air elementals are. I know it's supposed to be difficult - surrounded by four enemy leaders, elves in forest, saurians in swamp. It should be hard and yet galis take care of everything so effortlessly. I sent five galis north-west and...that's it - those five galis eradicated two saurian armies and assasinated their leaders. And they made it back (9-10 movement) just in time to deal with the drakes and elves as well. Their cold attack has whirlwind - they're like deadly bombs against drakes. Air elementals basically hard-counter all enemies on this map. They make Olokun's old-school elementals entirely obsolete (except maybe for wisps).

Emerald Warriors - good map to train rarely used units, like loyal villagers.

Fire Storm Rising - it's the same deal as in the Swamp scenario. Even if air elementals didn't have skirmisher it wouldn't be a fair fight - with skirmisher you can do what you want. Although now that I think about it, air elementals, while overpowered in almost any situation, are the player's only reliable means of fighting drakes so, uhm, maybe don't nerf them. ;)

Princess of Blood - I can't hear anything over the sound of how awesome air elementals are. Elves were just helpless. Interesting defeat condition!

Firecloud Peak - on this and next map the starting keep is partly visible (2-3 tiles) and partly hidden ("summoning circle," like in previous scenarios). This can be misleading, unless one mouses over the tiles. I actually didn't notice that in Firecloud Peak and recruited only two units per turn...
Valerya often rushes out which can be dangerous against multiple minotaur mystics. When I reached her castle she was at 10hp and I barely kept her alive. I suppose it can turn out differently on each playthrough, but maybe she could be made less suicidal.

Kenshiro gets pretty broken. With just a few upgrades he does 20-5 (marksman) when backstabbing. Wicked.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

marecki wrote:Thanks for the update!
However, I am unable to load any scenario after upgrading to 0.1.0. ("unknown scenario ..." error pops up).
Did you try closing the game and starting again? Because this error didn't happen with me... Unless there was another error message besides "unknown scenario"?

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

revansurik wrote:Did you try closing the game and starting again? Because this error didn't happen with me... Unless there was another error message besides "unknown scenario"?
I sure did. Well let's see, there are different error pop-ups depending on which file I'm trying to load:

.gz files - unknown scenario
replay files - Error while playing the game: game_error: unknown unit type: Kenshiro (or "unknown unit type: Cornelya" if i try to load turn 1 save in Friendly Fire, the scenario I'm currently on)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

marecki wrote:
revansurik wrote:Did you try closing the game and starting again? Because this error didn't happen with me... Unless there was another error message besides "unknown scenario"?
I sure did. Well let's see, there are different error pop-ups depending on which file I'm trying to load:

.gz files - unknown scenario
replay files - Error while playing the game: game_error: unknown unit type: Kenshiro (or "unknown unit type: Cornelya" if i try to load turn 1 save in Friendly Fire, the scenario I'm currently on)
Now this makes absolutely no sense, as these unit types (Kenshiro and Cornelya) do exist in the game's files... Most importantly, I managed to start the game without problems, and another person managed to start it as well, why would this error happen with someone else...? :hmm:
I'll try to think a solution for that later, I can't right now as I'm at work. In the meanwhile, try deleting the whole campaign (not the save files, of course) and installing it again. It would be nice to know if someone else had this problem as well...

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

Sorry for delayed reply, long day.
revansurik wrote:In the meanwhile, try deleting the whole campaign (not the save files, of course) and installing it again. It would be nice to know if someone else had this problem as well...
I did like you suggested and I'm getting the same result, even if I try to start a freshly-installed AotDS 0.1.0 (from the campaign menu).
I will try a different (more recent?) BfW version later.
Wish I had an inkling of how coding in Wesnoth works, I feel so useless. :D
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

@marecki - I have asked other coders about what could be causing this problem, but the only explanation I got was that it might be a problem with the operational system being case-sensitive, but I didn't find any folder with capital letters. If you PM me your e-mail, I will send the campaign's folder to you, maybe it'll work (it did when I sent it to another person to play).

In the meanwhile, I'll be waiting for other players' reports on the same bug. Really, of all bugs I've ever found, this one is the most senseless of all... :roll:

;-)
marecki

Post by marecki »

Thanks, got it, tried it with a clean install of 1.11.6, but no luck. :( I wish there was more feedback on this, but apparently I'm the only one with the issue. Maybe it'll sort itself out miraculously in the next update, in the meantime it's back to Fate of a Princess for me. :)