economy & trade scenario :)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

siddh

economy & trade scenario :)

Post by siddh »

In battle of wesnoth usually the theme of the game is a battle. I'm wondering if wesnoth platform could support an economy type scenario where players would instead of fighting engage in some sort of managing. :D It would be interesting if a couple of players could play a game of that type. Although by default there are no such elements.

Any thoughts? :D
Andrettin

Re: economy & trade scenario :)

Post by Andrettin »

siddh wrote:In battle of wesnoth usually the theme of the game is a battle. I'm wondering if wesnoth platform could support an economy type scenario where players would instead of fighting engage in some sort of managing. :D It would be interesting if a couple of players could play a game of that type. Although by default there are no such elements.

Any thoughts? :D
I think that it is an interesting idea. If I were to work on something like that, I would start slow: first adding a new resource (i.e. lumber) and a building that produces it (maybe this is possible through Lua) making a few units cost the resource in order to be recruited, but keeping all other things in Wesnoth unchanged. Then, see how that works out, if the gameplay is good and so forth, and move on to new changes.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Bob_The_Mighty actually made such a scenario where the players had to travel around, buying and selling weapons for a profit. Can't remember what it was called.

It was fun but I don't think I'd want to have played it often.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Velensk is proably speaking about Travelling Salesman which was/is a multiplayer campaign were players had to trade weapons and had different options to improve their own character or to hinder their opponents. I'm also a fan of trading games such as medusa, privateer, x and frontier so I've made a single player campaign called "Strange Legacy" - a trading/rpg campaign.

In Strange Legacy the player has to move around selling and buying goods or run buildings (like in x - beyond the frontier) to make a fortune. The market is dynamic and their are many options to earn gold (pickpocketing, singing as a bard, cheating, break-ins ...). As this alone was too boring I also added rpg elements such as encounters, randommission (random trading as well as fighting missions), randomevents and a storyline which requires to perform several missions.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer