Non-linear, RL style campaign, with random world

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dfTruF

Non-linear, RL style campaign, with random world

Post by dfTruF »

Greetings.

Is there any non-linear campaign, where player can play in rogue-like style (permadeath, random maps, good risk estimation, gradual difficulty level decisions)?

For example:
At the beginning there is created one randomized world (with logical climate zones, continents, islands shapes), there are random locations with different difficulty. And it is up to player to find site where is located main enemy's leader, by searching through gradually increased difficulty on continents' locations. When player sees that specific region is too dangerous for his current force, then he can retreat to previous, safer location (for regrouping forces, or gain more experience).
Raijer

Re: Non-linear, RL style campaign, with random world

Post by Raijer »

From what i know, there are none as complete as what you seek. The closest thing of what you're asking for would be Heindal's Five fates, but the story stays linear, with only one world possible. About permanent death... nobody did it yet. Dugi thought about creating a new difficulty level for his campaign (Legend of the Invincibles) that would do that, but his campaign is quite far from random. Also, on the random side, you might try Elvish Dynasty RPG.

All those are propositions that are the closest of what you're describing, but some people will most likely find others that could be good too (didn't play all the UMCs yet, and quite sure i never will). Sorry if it isn't what you're searching for at all.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
dfTruF

Post by dfTruF »

Raijer wrote:From what i know, there are none as complete as what you seek...
Thanks for reply.
For me BfW would be better with non-linear campaigns, random world and permadeath. In my opinion those aspects are the source of beauty, replayability value, in every respected turn-based strategy.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

It's probably also worth mentioning The Altaz Mariners, which is designed to be strongly nonlinear and incorporate significant random elements, although I'm not sure if it exactly meets your criteria.
dfTruF

Post by dfTruF »

iceiceice wrote:It's probably also worth mentioning The Altaz Mariners, which is designed to be strongly nonlinear and incorporate significant random elements, although I'm not sure if it exactly meets your criteria.

I've checked Mariners yesterday, and the campaign is only partly non-linear. So definitely, this is not what I'm looking for.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I could make a campaign like that in a little bit of time.

By using an exploit you can by theory break saved games and at least "simulate" permadeath.
But by using an exploit you could also make wesnoth a real time game :lol: (i know how, but i don't want to be responsible for game breaks).

Still missing in the list: "Cities of the Frontier - now for BfW 1.11" which is great campaign which offers a high replayability.
"Wesband" is also a unique multiplayer campaign.

Beside Five Fates (thanks for mention it raijer ;) ) Strange Legacy offers more or less a fixed world with random events, conflicts and missions.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
dfTruF

Post by dfTruF »

Thank You for info about other campaigns.
Heindal wrote:I could make a campaign like that in a little bit of time.
That would be nice campaign.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Unfortunatly I don't have time and more importantly no focus.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

There is a kind of rougealike that was made for an older version of wesnoth. I forget what it's called but you could search for it. That said, it was pretty strictly a dungeon crawl. If you pile what it had with world generation you're putting a massive, massive project on someone.

If you want that, you'd probably be better off sticking to dwarf fortress.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
dfTruF

Post by dfTruF »

Velensk wrote:If you pile what it had with world generation you're putting a massive, massive project on someone.
Could you point out where I'm putting this "massive, massive" project on someone?
To busy man in a hood?
I just asked if such project exists.

(Sorry that you must sacrifice your valuable time to read my post.)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

The campaign Velensk spoke about could be dungeons of wesnoth, which was made by elias: http://home.gna.org/dungeon/index.html. Unfortunately I made an addon with the same name - which is a dungeon keeper/rpg parody.

The sad thing, i could proably pull off a campagin like that in proably a week of working time. It would have a lousy performance, crappy dungeons, but I could make it - as the code already exists in some of my other projects. As I'm currently looking for a new job it could be a good work sample (but it could also be interpreted in a negative way - especially in germany). I could also make a YouTube video about it, explaining the code and methods. Let me think about it and post if you would support me.
dfTruF

Post by dfTruF »

Heindal wrote: As I'm currently looking for a new job it could be a good work sample (but it could also be interpreted in a negative way - especially in germany).
In that case you better focus on your job, do positive thing. Most employers, on planet Earth, don't like computer games (not only BfW).

The best games arise from creators' satisfaction, without any regrets about investment of time and energy.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The campaign Velensk spoke about could be dungeons of wesnoth, which was made by elias: http://home.gna.org/dungeon/index.html. Unfortunately I made an addon with the same name - which is a dungeon keeper/rpg parody.
Actually, I think it was Wesband.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."