Where to save files for a campaign/scenario???

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Baltese_Windragon

Where to save files for a campaign/scenario???

Post by Baltese_Windragon »

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble completing the first/most important step of making a campaign/scenario- I don't know where to save my .cfg files! I've read that I should save my files in userdata/data/campaigns, but that doesn't seem to exist on my computer.

This is very confusing because Wesnoth has two separate (and hard to find) folders where all of it's file are held (at least on my ubuntu computer):
home/local/share/wesnoth/1.10
usr/share/games/wesnoth/1.10

Does Wesnoth have a third location where some files, like this "userdata" file, are saved too? Does the "userdata" file need to be created in one of the two locations I've mentioned?

I feel like designing campaigns/scenarios wouldn't be that difficult if I could just get the scenario/map/campaign files in the right folders, and get them to link to each other.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated!
iceiceice

Re: Where to save files for a campaign/scenario???

Post by iceiceice »

So basically you should only be worried about the first of these, which is actually

/home/~you/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10

The other one you should never touch or even think about really, unless for some reason you need to refer to core files while making your add-on.

You don't need to create the userdata *folder* yourself. If you need to confirm exactly where it is, fire up your wesnoth and download Anonymissimus's "A Simple Campaign" from the add-on server, for example, and then search your hard drive for the folder titled "A_Simple_Campaign" which is created.

It *should* be in
/home/~you/.local/share/wesnoth/1.10/data/add-ons/

If you want to create your own campaign, I suggest making a copy of the "A_Simple_Campaign" folder right next to it, named e.g. "My_Campaign" and reading and modifying the WML inside.

Hope that helps you.

Edit: I understand why you might find it confusing, but there are reasons why it makes sense to have all the user files separate from the install / core files. For example if your system has many users, they can all use the same *install* of wesnoth and keep their add-ons and save-games separate from eachother in their home directories. The point is that things in your home are private, and things in e.g. /usr/ are *public* and also should only be modified by those with admin access. I guess you'll find that most linux software is set up this way.
Baltese_Windragon

Post by Baltese_Windragon »

Thanks a lot for the reply ice!

The userdata folder doesn't exist there, either, but that is of course where all my add-ons go (campaigns included).

I guess I should create a directory of userdata/data/campaigns/"nameofmycampaign" in my add-ons folder, then, and if I put my campaign file there it should be detected?

Anyway I guess it's confusing because I frequently need to find files that are in the "public" folder, like game saves and map files.

Thanks again.
Groggy_Dice
Inactive Developer

Post by Groggy_Dice »

Baltese_Windragon wrote:The userdata folder doesn't exist there, either, but that is of course where all my add-ons go (campaigns included).

I guess I should create a directory of userdata/data/campaigns/"nameofmycampaign" in my add-ons folder, then, and if I put my campaign file there it should be detected?

Anyway I guess it's confusing because I frequently need to find files that are in the "public" folder, like game saves and map files.
No, no! The userdata folder is not literally called "userdata", just as "root folder" doesn't refer to a directory literally named "root". It's what you're referring to as the "public" folder.

However, the confusion is not all your fault:
Baltese_Windragon wrote:I'm having trouble completing the first/most important step of making a campaign/scenario- I don't know where to save my .cfg files! I've read that I should save my files in userdata/data/campaigns, but that doesn't seem to exist on my computer.
After doing a web search, I believe that you read http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CampaignWML_Tutorial. Unfortunately, the information on that page is a) outdated and b) bad to begin with.

The first paragraph mentions, "Oh, BTW, this is a tutorial for Wesnoth 1.4.0..." You can also see that the advice is very Windows-centric.

First, since 1.7.x, userdata's campaigns/ folder was re-named to add-ons/. So, while the mainline campaigns still use the path "data/campaigns/", you need to be using "data/add-ons/".

Second, the example code tells you to use paths of the form, "../userdata/data/campaigns/". DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T!!!!!!!!!

Instead, use "data/add-ons/", as I said above.

The initial "../" is unnecessary. It won't hurt, but as far as I can tell Wesnoth simply ignores it.

More seriously, you should never use "userdata/" in your paths. It will work on Windows if you chose to install Wesnoth with your userdata inside the Wesnoth directory, because in that case the installer will create a folder called "userdata/" in the Wesnoth install directory. But if chose to save userdata to your "My Documents" folder (as recommended), or you are running Wesnoth on another operating system (as you are), then there is no directory literally named "userdata/", so the paths will not work!

I've been wondering why so many add-ons use "userdata/" in their paths, and assumed that they were copying from previous bad add-ons. But perhaps this wiki page is to blame!
Ports:
Prudence (Josh Roby) | By the Sword (monochromatic) | The Eight of Cembulad (Lintana~ & WYRMY)
Resources:
UMC Timeline (Dec) | List of Unported UMC (Dec) | wmllint++ (Feb)
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Since the wiki page in question has no useful information and is completely outdated, the page has been deleted.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?