War of the Jewel: SP Campaign, 1.11+ (Feedback & Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: War of the Jewel: SP Campaign, 1.11+ (Feedback & Reviews

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:We puny human figured out the whole absolute power corrupts absolutely. The Ancient Ones didn't figure that out. That make them idiots at best. Then they left the monster they created unwatched.
Not really, since they thought in a manner different of that of humans; the Ancient Ones had absolute power over the universe, and still they sacrificed their own existence to shape it and create living beings. Their only failure - which was actually Ananke's failure - was to give Svarballi a mind similar to that of living beings and believe that, with such mind, he could remain a peaceful and just being in a world as violent as Irdya. Summing it up, their mistake was not to understand the unpredictability of an animal mind ;-)
They should have read Nietzsche before creating Svarballi: "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." They created Svarballi to deal with the violence of Irdya's beings, and in the end he convinced himself that was the norm in that world ;-)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

revansurik wrote:
regnak wrote:Ok I had to recruit undead in the keep next to the emperor since I couldn't sneak Nyx in with me. It's extremely unfair to make the Princess un-hitable and have her where she can attack the player's forces.
Weird, I managed to sneak Nyx into the city unseen... Sometimes I get the impression the game engine works differently for different people :-S
As for Sa-Tarva, well, I can't have her killed in that scenario, she was supposed to appear in the next ;-)
regnak wrote:Re A glimpse of the Light. The plot developments were very interesting. it seems the Ancient Ones was well have been evil doing scum. What a surprise. well not really, they made the Sky Dragon after all for reason that made any sense.
In Aria of the Dragon-Slayer more light will be shed on their past, but why do you think they were evil...?

Where exactly did you sneak into the city? I tried across the river and over the wall, through the south gate and even started swimming since the dialog seemed to indicate that. A swimming Nyx was spotted instantly while the others took more time. I reloaded the GZ file and see no gap in the LOS of the sentries and she is spotted every time.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote: Where exactly did you sneak into the city? I tried across the river and over the wall, through the south gate and even started swimming since the dialog seemed to indicate that. A swimming Nyx was spotted instantly while the others took more time. I reloaded the GZ file and see no gap in the LOS of the sentries and she is spotted every time.
Mahyus' dark aura should keep both him and Nyx unseen by the enemy units - also, if Nyx has the nightstalk ability, going through dark areas (that is, not illuminated by the bonfires) without getting next to enemy units should be a safe way to crossing the city...

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

revansurik wrote:
regnak wrote: Where exactly did you sneak into the city? I tried across the river and over the wall, through the south gate and even started swimming since the dialog seemed to indicate that. A swimming Nyx was spotted instantly while the others took more time. I reloaded the GZ file and see no gap in the LOS of the sentries and she is spotted every time.
Mahyus' dark aura should keep both him and Nyx unseen by the enemy units - also, if Nyx has the nightstalk ability, going through dark areas (that is, not illuminated by the bonfires) without getting next to enemy units should be a safe way to crossing the city...

Well the first part Mahyus' aura was what I tried and it failed every time. Nyx has concealment but not night stalk. IIRC her AMLAs keep asking me to choose to remain concealed or do something else.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote: Well the first part Mahyus' aura was what I tried and it failed every time. Nyx has concealment but not night stalk. IIRC her AMLAs keep asking me to choose to remain concealed or do something else.
Um, wait, does your Mahyus have the Khemet ability? It gives him nightstalk, and, together with the First Supreme Umbra Spell (which gives him the dark aura), it makes him invisible in most instances, even during daytime. If you don't have it, nor Nyx' nightstalk, then I'm afraid you'll have to battle the Washraha head-on...

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Mahyus got there just fine it's Nyx who always got caught. That's why I had to recruit/recall undead in the Emperor's own castle. It's impossible for Mahyus to kill him in a single round so I had to get help and it's why I was so annoyed about the unkillable princess. She threatened to kill L2 &L3 ghosts that weren't easy to get that way. So I just debug killed her and fought my way out with the undead.
regnak

Post by regnak »

Blazing Hatred: The Amazon Princess is just obnoxious. I kill her she retreat and immediately heals to half hp. And after killing an Undine? Come on now, if you don't want her dead have her carried off wounded and not get to fight again.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:Blazing Hatred: The Amazon Princess is just obnoxious. I kill her she retreat and immediately heals to half hp. And after killing an Undine? Come on now, if you don't want her dead have her carried off wounded and not get to fight again.
Well, the player can't be the only one with badass heroes ;-) I imagined Sa-Tarva as being a legend of her people; in another storyline, she leads the Washraha to build a mighty empire, so I thought it would be silly if she got owned so easily - considering how easily units such as Akhen, MAhyus, Merwe and Nyx can defeat her ;-)

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

None of them cannot be killed and instantly regenerate to half hp. It's ridiculous and annoying!!!! Even the Fire Dragons from ASOF didn't do that. Besides their empire is built on slavery, ergo she cannot be a hero in the absolute sense only a villain.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:None of them cannot be killed and instantly regenerate to half hp. It's ridiculous and annoying!!!! Even the Fire Dragons from ASOF didn't do that. Besides their empire is built on slavery, ergo she cannot be a hero in the absolute sense only a villain.
Of course she's not a hero, she's a villain - only a badass villain ;-) My idea was that Sa-Tarva always retreats before receiving a fatal blow, only to return to battle after resting a little. I made her heal so much because I didn't know another way to prevent her from dying, but I think I've found such way for the next release...

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

revansurik wrote:
regnak wrote:None of them cannot be killed and instantly regenerate to half hp. It's ridiculous and annoying!!!! Even the Fire Dragons from ASOF didn't do that. Besides their empire is built on slavery, ergo she cannot be a hero in the absolute sense only a villain.
Of course she's not a hero, she's a villain - only a badass villain ;-) My idea was that Sa-Tarva always retreats before receiving a fatal blow, only to return to battle after resting a little. I made her heal so much because I didn't know another way to prevent her from dying, but I think I've found such way for the next release...
She has an explosive swarm attack already. That is more than enough to make her badass. The return to battle after resting a little is way into Mary Sue territory. What is so special about her that she get such a ridiculously over the top ability? She shouldn't get to come back at all but if she must then she should start with 1 hp. And there should be some way to kill her because logically there are ways to kill far greater beings than she!
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote: She has an explosive swarm attack already. That is more than enough to make her badass. The return to battle after resting a little is way into Mary Sue territory. What is so special about her that she get such a ridiculously over the top ability? She shouldn't get to come back at all but if she must then she should start with 1 hp. And there should be some way to kill her because logically there are ways to kill far greater beings than she!
I've now realised that I forgot to say the most important reason, she's part of another storyline, related to the History of Arajunna that I, johndh and Elfarion wrote around a year ago, that's why I didn't want to kill her :doh:

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Re Cradle of Darkness:

Interesting scenario that becomes a lot more fun when the Deshra clubbers manage to hit a skeleton archer with a couple longbowmen adjacent. :lol: The lich seemed so pathetic and sad after the battle :lol: Another new faction this should be interesting.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:Re Cradle of Darkness:

Interesting scenario that becomes a lot more fun when the Deshra clubbers manage to hit a skeleton archer with a couple longbowmen adjacent. :lol: The lich seemed so pathetic and sad after the battle :lol: Another new faction this should be interesting.
Fighting skeletons with Deshrai is always great :-P

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Just started Everybody Hates an Orc, ... Oh wait you called it Folk of the Forest. The orcs are being attacked by Griffons and Minotaurs while on their way to the Carapaces! :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the time I chew through the Minotaurs there might not be any orcs left for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Editing to add: OTOH I could be wrong and they could outlast the Minotaurs and the Griffons too. (They turned away from the Carapaces just in time)