Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.14.x]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

denispir

Re: Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.14.x]

Post by denispir »

Comments on DoT Underground :
* no music
* in scenario file: funny "i" alone line 109 (in side 3, just after wrong indent)
* event turn 4 "no more recruit": should trigger only if (Fiannon) still in bedroom
* on map: strange "black hole" dead end on tile 2-16 (broken bridge?)
* for any reason, the kind of hanging bridges around tile 16-15 are very dark and hard to see (i saw a whelp over a black hole) while the ones above are better visible
* At times, progressing against whelps depends on luck: namely on 2-3 crossings where your front unit faces 2 ennemies.
* finished in 73 turns
* no loss
* I did not note end money but have 417 gold to start next level (have too much since 2nd or 3rd scenario)

I liked this scenario very much but had to restart to know at least the main dead ends (especially south western quarter), and what ways may actually lead to the exit and ennemy keeps. I had 8 units split in 2 groups, each with 1 healer, 1 robust unit, 1 strong magic, 1 fast unit. There were many leveling-ups including AMLAs. 1 group took the eastern route, the other progressed +/- along the median pathes. What do you think? What kind of tactic do you have in mind?

Question: For the Grand Meeting, I could not find the actual programming in the scenario file (found only musics and sides), where is it ?

PS: There should only be spiders at places where we can maneuver, at least to remove the attacked unit and replace it with one that will not die at once. Else, again it is plain luck (=> save-load).

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hello everybody. Thank you for your interest in Dawn of Thunder and your feedback. Every bit is helpful and even if it may not seem so, I make note of every comment and will eventually incorporate thee feedback.
Hello Paulomat,

I'm playing DoT for the 2nd time. First time, I stopped at the scenario where we must kill the old (perverted) wose: just could not do that. Globally, I find it uncredible that elves side with (human) forest destroyers, instead of the opposite. This, despite your attempts at "explanations" about warming homes and the like (and in traditional life, noone kills trees for that...).
The Key point I tried to convey was that the forest creatures were corrupted within the grand scheme of the underlying conspiracy that is going to play out in this campaign. I will try to make more clear that the woses and faeries are really aggressive and are not themselves any more.
Now, I have passed over that and block at the end of Grand Meeting : impossible to find the hidden tunnel. I think I have walked --and stoppped-- units over all hexes west of the valley and south of the crossing, no way. I have even brought the hero on the burnt village right there.
I thought it was rather clear which location was meant, since it is basically the only village in that part of the map. Has anyone else had problems finding the tunnel?
As usual in your campaigns, I find the diff level far above what is said : I play easy and find at least medium, especially the first few scenarios. I had a great difficulty with the very first one. Wanted to play on mediul because it was a restart, impossible for me. Note that I play most standard campaigns, both mainline and user-made, on medium. Yours are pretty hard. Thank you the nice job anyway, Denis
I often find it difficult to correctly judge the difficulty of a scenario. I coast through the campaign on normal, but obviously, I know all tricks and tactics, since I wrote them. I am open to suggestions on how to improve it. :)
PS : The first scenario and another one have an in valid [event] tag IIRC, because of "missing id or name".
noted
Comments on DoT Underground :
* no music
* in scenario file: funny "i" alone line 109 (in side 3, just after wrong indent)
* event turn 4 "no more recruit": should trigger only if (Fiannon) still in bedroom
* on map: strange "black hole" dead end on tile 2-16 (broken bridge?)
* for any reason, the kind of hanging bridges around tile 16-15 are very dark and hard to see (i saw a whelp over a black hole) while the ones above are better visible
* At times, progressing against whelps depends on luck: namely on 2-3 crossings where your front unit faces 2 ennemies.
* finished in 73 turns
* no loss
* I did not note end money but have 417 gold to start next level (have too much since 2nd or 3rd scenario)
thanks for the notes. I'll work on them, eventually.
I liked this scenario very much but had to restart to know at least the main dead ends (especially south western quarter), and what ways may actually lead to the exit and ennemy keeps. I had 8 units split in 2 groups, each with 1 healer, 1 robust unit, 1 strong magic, 1 fast unit. There were many leveling-ups including AMLAs. 1 group took the eastern route, the other progressed +/- along the median pathes. What do you think? What kind of tactic do you have in mind?
I usually split into three groups.
One group, containing the loyal shyde or a sylph, go to the west. There is a secret to be discovered there that will help you very much.

Fiannon and a few others will go north and push through the trolls at the bridge. Another group takes the eastern path.
Question: For the Grand Meeting, I could not find the actual programming in the scenario file (found only musics and sides), where is it ?
It is there, in the file 08_grand_meeting.cfg. The events start at line 194.
PS: There should only be spiders at places where we can maneuver, at least to remove the attacked unit and replace it with one that will not die at once. Else, again it is plain luck (=> save-load).
you are right, this is a nasty tomato surprise event. Since I know about it, I normally send the loyal Elvish Champion with the ring of swordmanship there.
I'll try to reduce the tomato-ness of the attack. i think reducing it to a normal spider, adding some webs and little spiderlings and maybe a small dialogue to prepare the player. Also maybe a bigger cave with dirt terrain to maneuver, the "Spider nest".

I have also been notified of a "unknown tile" bug in scenario 11 which I plan on fixing.
Again, Thank you all for your feedback.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl

Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

I've added replay topics for this campaign.