The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jfh

Re: The Blind Sentinel [Feedback and development topic]

Post by jfh »

Hello. Thanks for the game, very cool, and escuse me for my poor english.

Same problem than "MamboCalamari", easily fixed for continuing the game remplacing unit type "Orcish Grunt2" by unit type "Orcish Grunt" in your code.

My problem is fot the scenario "the blind sentinel". Problem with Gildred, who appears when visiting his cell, but disapears just after. Then it seeems that he can't be cured, and I don't undersatand how to finish this scenario?

(maybe I am wrong...)

Thanks again for this game, great history!

JF
jfh

Post by jfh »

Hello.

In fact, the problem is that when Vormund says ""Good lord! Gildred! What are you doing?!"", we have not any reply from Gildred, but directly Vormund saying "You may die, but only after me! And I still live! I forbid you to die! So on your feet, and follow us! We will find an antidote!" (Gildred not visible)

By the way, I do not know nothing about the westnoth code, but I think there is an error line 603 of the scenario 15_the_blind_sentinel : you wrote [+event], maybe you wanted to write [event]?

Good luck and thanks again!
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello,

That will probably be a bad unstoring event, if Gildred doesn't appear. Will see to it soon, I don't have my lap-top with me at the moment :( Sorry.

The [+event] should be fine...you can use [+tagname], when you want to expand the previous [tagname] tag. For example when you add custom movement types, you need to expand the [units] toplevel tag, by using [+units].
Or, this [+event] is executed inside an [event], after a condition, and if met, a previous event (f.e. death, moveto, sth like that......start, prestart doesn't really make sense, but others do) is expanded with the code inside [+event]. Probably. I don't know, I can't look at it at the moment :(
Spoiler:
But I'll find time until the weekend, I hope.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
stillcen

Post by stillcen »

playing on wesnoth 1.1.0.4
Down loaded The Blind Sentinel today

Finish the first scenario and got the following error message.

-unknown unit type spearmaster-

stillcen
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Finally fixed all these listed above. New version available in appr. 3 days (Thursday afternoon), because I still can't upload anything now from here. Sorry.

WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

New snapshot, 1.1.4beta uploaded.

Current Version: 1.1.4beta
- fixed map2 & map8 with Spearmaster
- fixed map11b (Orcish Grunt)
- fixed map15 (not appearing Gildred)
- rebalanced and clearified map9, prestum
- map2: guards no longer spawn into recruiting castle
- bonus map: tourney development in progress...
- ships in progress...

Mainly bug fixes, and made a little progress with the tourney map, and also indicated, that the 3 ship maps are missing. Sorry for that.

WhiteWolf
SWO17

Post by SWO17 »

On The Northern Roads mission after the sack of prestum all my veteran worriers except one Mage was missing. As well as Lovisia and the other Grand Marshal character.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

All right, there was a missing {foreach} that caused this, that is fixed now, but...
while testing this, finally spotted why the catapults sometimes work, and sometimes don't. (unfortunately I only received pm's like: "catapults dont work, help pls", so couldn't figure out problem because it worked perfectly here....this is why you should always detail your error as much as you can! :P )

The cause is complicated, so the upload-patch will come only later. If you wish to continue, type :debug and re-create Loivissa and Gildred.

EDIT:
Not so complicated, solved :D Patch comes tomorrow.

Thanks for the patience,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Uploaded 1.1.5beta, with fixing the above-mentioned bugs, and also fixing the catapults.

I also tried to put some work into the ships, but it didn't work out. I fear this dream will remain a dream, and it will be replaced with the simple ships we saw in TAOTWC :hmm: But I can't predict that yet.

WhiteWolf
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

Hi,
The following error occurs and game doesn't load :
Error detail:
Macro/file '3_COLOR MESSAGES' is missing at ~add-ons/SIM...SHIP.._ERA/..../ship_commands.cfg:34 included from ~add-ons/the_bli.../scenarios/20........cfg:12 included from ~add-ons/..../main.cfg:144.

I downloaded the addons Blind..... and sim..ship... era from server seperately
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

I'll take a look at it as soon as I can, it can probably be fixed quickly.
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi all,

Solution: please, download Simplified Ship Utils 0.1.3. This is really bad that the campaign depends on this extra file, so the macro referring to this will be eliminated soon. (meaning: before every patch update, the broken 20th map will be cast out from the game).

WhiteWolf
chip56

Post by chip56 »

Nice now I can finally continue :D

And I found a few things so far:
During the prison escape I couldn't pick up one of the swords in the armory. No comment like a required level or anything.
At the ford of elensefar my level 4 Vormund got sent to the recall list and a level 2 Vormund spawned at the keep.

Edit: A reload of "the ford of elensefar" fixed the duplicate vormund problem.
However I now have a bug at the "sword of justice" scenario. Unknown unit type: Northern Longspearman while scoring units
sreesreearul

Post by sreesreearul »

Finished in easy level, it was rather easy. Maps were smaller compared to most well-structured (i mean with a nice plot and lots of characters) campaigns. I liked that aspect a lot. I prefer to finish scenarios fast and without loosing any of my leveled up units, BS easy that way was awesome. There are few glitches , like lady lovassa, primate, Lady alya etc not getting upgraded to higher levels even after xp crossing required limits. Last scenarios aborts itself coz 'northern spearman' is missing, I got around it by deleting that unit from recruit list. Killing Blind Sentinel is no tough task and can be accomplished easily (in easy mode of course) especially if you have a strong army of veterans. You may want to place him slightly far.

Nice campaign. Good to hear there is a spinoff/sequel. When will it be released?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi all,

Uploaded 1.1.6beta:
- Fixed the duplicating Vormunds
- Fixed the missing Longspearman unit
- Also fixed the unpickable sword in the dungeon map
- Finished the skeleton of the animations in the jousting part of the tourney. You can now try how it will work when it is finished. I hope that by 1.1.7 the jousting will have been completed, and the melée or the archery will have been begun.
- Also, if you have not downloaded Shiputils 0.1.3, it won't be a problem know in theory, the broken scenario is no longer a .cfg, so cannot spoil anything.

To fix those upgrading problems is a bit tougher, that will take a bit more time.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) If you found it too easy - try it on hard, that's why we have different difficulties :D

The sequel will come probably in the middle of summer. The title will be The Stone of the North. Until then, if you're interested in my works, try The Attack of the Western Cavalry

My long-term plan is to make a trilogy/tetralogy out of these works, with the following chronology:
- The Blind Sentinel
- The Stone of the North
- (The Fall and Rise Again of Wesnoth)*
- The Attack of the Western Cavalry
- ......further sequels, who knows....:)

*TFRAW is an unpublished campaign written in BFW1.6 and needs translating, redrafting, and a complete new design, I'm not sure whether it's worth the effort to do it, it's still being considered.

All the best,
WhiteWolf