Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Post by revansurik »

These days I remembered that I was replaying this campaign, solving bugs and all, but that I had stopped when a week of university exams began, and that I ended forgetting about SoW completely. This week, however, I continued the work, and the result is version 2.0.0 of Soldier of Wesnoth. With this version, I consider this campaign virtually done: whatever change I make on it now will be related to bug-solving.
Other than correcting some dialogue, I've improved the balacing (in Intermediate difficulty, that is), added a new music theme and made more portraits for the heroes and heroines. I'm telling you, I'm really liking this frankesteining of portraits :-P

And here is the changelog for this version:

Code: Select all

V. 2.0.0

- Scenarios
    - Damsel in Distress: Elywen's praising of Addraryn now only happens if he kills the lvl 0 goblin that appears
    - Howling Heights: Decreased amount of enemy gold
	- Rogue Mages: Slight changes to dialogue
	- Parting Ways: Slight changes to dialogue
	- Sands of Time: Arslan gets reinforcement if player gets close to his keep; reduced number of turns Orofarnië must wait to open the elven gates
	- The Reward of Loyalty: Removed camp (leftover from the first scenario) from the map
	- The Lion and the Dragon: changes to playlist
	- In the Name of Justice: Removed Lancer from Addroran's recruit list; decreased the amount of gold Alphinor receives
- Units
    - Renamed Rogue Elyniver's melee attack as 'sabre'
	- Added animation for Rod of Justice attack
	- Corrected missing attack icon for Desert Efreet

- WML
    - Some changes to coding of some scenarios which shouldn't be noted while playing

- Artwork
    - Some changes to the portraits of Addraryn, Rogue/Lady Elyniver, Meranoic, Vennyn, Merina, Reana, Sallyra and Aradya; new portraits for Addraryn in both his soldier and veteran versions, for Meranoic in later scenarios, for Kalenz and for Malene Eldric.

- Music
    - Added one new music theme
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

Currently stuck on the second map. On easy (1.12 if that helps).

Takes about 15-20 turns just to get to the actual battle(depends on how long you want to heal) and then both armies seem to love swarming you as opposed to each other. That and they seem fully capable of producing 1 unit a turn. So trying to fight army to army is kinda out since they'll swarm you, and the other tactic seems to rush down one of the leaders but that leaves your rear completely open for the other side. Along with what towns you give up to that side.

I can't seem to win this, tips?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

MerlinCross wrote:Currently stuck on the second map. On easy (1.12 if that helps).

Takes about 15-20 turns just to get to the actual battle(depends on how long you want to heal) and then both armies seem to love swarming you as opposed to each other. That and they seem fully capable of producing 1 unit a turn. So trying to fight army to army is kinda out since they'll swarm you, and the other tactic seems to rush down one of the leaders but that leaves your rear completely open for the other side. Along with what towns you give up to that side.

I can't seem to win this, tips?
Don't rush to battle too soon; form two groups of fighters (8 fighters each, or 10/6 if Rhur, Elyniver and Addraryn go together in one), stay near the closest keep (the one to the left of the battlefield), wait for the two enemy sides to kill some of each other's units, and then rush to their leaders. This is what I do; another strategy might be to go full on against one side (after they've killed some of each other), and then go for the other.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

I'll give it a shot.

Side note, Green seems far more eager to charge straight at you as opposed to Purple. This seems to be due to either an easier path to you(as opposed to Purple's who has to go around some hills) or the fact that the two towns left from the Ogre fight are closer to Green and the AI says "Send a unit or two to take tha....oh hey Player Units".
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

And finished your other Campaign. Good Story, Good Characters, Good Maps, Nice Variaty, Good balancing

Regarding Balancing: In Song of Fire I remember one map that I totally could not solve no matter what I did and ultimatively cheated past it, after I failed a dozen times. And that was on easy oô (The one with the 4 Goblin Chiefs, where I have to kill the Southern most one with my Hero You just get swarmed with enemies and cannot kill them as fast as they appear (sometimes 2 at a time per Chief))

Well, anyway, great experience. Totally into the Story you told here :)
I do GPE(Genuine Playing Experience), Screenshot-reinforced and detailed Bug-Reports for Campaigns. If you want me to check yours, be it Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta or finished, let me know. Since I don't know anything about coding, I'll be unable to tell you why something bad happens though. PM me.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Krolan wrote: Regarding Balancing: In Song of Fire I remember one map that I totally could not solve no matter what I did and ultimatively cheated past it, after I failed a dozen times. And that was on easy oô (The one with the 4 Goblin Chiefs, where I have to kill the Southern most one with my Hero You just get swarmed with enemies and cannot kill them as fast as they appear (sometimes 2 at a time per Chief))
Use sturdy melee units (specially rock elemental line) to slowly advance southwards, strengthened by Myra's leadership; goblin riders don't do that much damage against them (except for those pesky Pillagers), while Myra often hit-kills the goblin leaders ^_^
Well, anyway, great experience. Totally into the Story you told here :)
Glad you enjoyed it! ^_^

;-)
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

Well, yeah, that is pretty much what I tried to do, but failed nontheless. The Pillagers you mention were the ones that always Pearl-harboured me, and that not because they do actual damage to my earth elementals, but because them together with the wolf riders are fast as hell, encircling me rather quickly while completely outnumbering me.

I plan on playing again (on normal), so I will try again. It is just strange that I never found a level of quite that difficulty in all 3 campaigns (Aside, maybe, for the one in Aria, where you're up against 4 Dwarf Leaders, then against an additional one, with one of the four joining me. But even that one I ultimatively had not too much trouble to get through. Maybe thanks to the orcish reinforcement)
I do GPE(Genuine Playing Experience), Screenshot-reinforced and detailed Bug-Reports for Campaigns. If you want me to check yours, be it Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta or finished, let me know. Since I don't know anything about coding, I'll be unable to tell you why something bad happens though. PM me.
nathanson1947

Post by nathanson1947 »

My problems seem to arise because General Moran is not allowed to recruit any new members to the Death Bringers, even if most of the units on the recall list have already fallen. This is the case even on the easiest difficulty. I managed to complete the "Heart in the Dark" scenario, but I only had eight units available to complete the "Sands of Time " scenario. Despite this, I managed to get Orofamie to the gates in the North, but then found that I had to hold off the enemy for another 5 turns, pretty much an impossible task if you only have 6 units available to do it.

I then tried to redo the "Heart in the Dark" scenario - this time moving all my units to the right side of the map to protect them better. This allowed me to start the "Sands of Time" scenario with 14 units. Hoewver, since I never had encountered Orofamie in the first place. since I had avoided that part of the map, I found myself with a problem when I still needed him to unlock the gates in the North. There seemed to be no alternative if Orofamie had not been awalkened from his slumber in the first place.

Any ideas on how to deal with this problem?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

to be honest i have no idea how you got into this predicament. im have played this campaign on hard, and never lost a unit from the deathbringers (except last scenario)
my advise for you is, to learn more strategies, so you dont end up losing your unit :D
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

I'd say Konrad here is a lucky one.

It is to be expected that you will loose parts of the Death Bringer. I lost all mages except for 2 white mages (which became Mages of Light), I lost half my riders and a few foot units throughout the campaign. I never had problems, though, because I decided to get myself new units whenever possible, since even outlaws you control in some scenerios join the Death-Bringer.

This is the most interesting aspect of this campaign, being forced to make hardcore decisions, like me, throwing away a white mages life to save the life of an almost-lvld up rider, and still win in the end. I admit though, if you got particulary unlucky, you probably should restart from where you first had your death bringer and just try to do what you think is best. Remember, just because a strategy didn't work, doesn't mean the strategy itself sucks, it may be that your "dice" suck. Maybe you did a few mistakes here and there, riders on forest tiles without reason (like protection of another unit), or moving through defensive terrain, which slows you down, for too long, or any number of things.

Just try to keep your common sense up. Loosing units without expecting it is always a bad thing, Loosing a unit you know will die is a necessary sacrifice. All you gotta do is making the sacrifice worth it.
Chep

Post by Chep »

after having just re-installed Wesnoth I thought I'd give my favourite campaign another try.

(Wesnoth 1.12, SoW 2.0.0)

In "Howling Heights" I am plagued by a really annoying sound-effect.

I guess it is supposed to be wind or something but it is just incredibly annoying because it is a) rather loud, b) can't be deactivated by muting "Music" (as it is a sound-effect) and c) resets to the default, loud level of noise everytime you load a game (or go back to the beginning of a turn) - while the overall sound effect level stays low, so you have to change the preferences for soundeffects to something and then back to the value it had to quieten that freaking sound.
lesasch

Post by lesasch »

I'm just playing the Soldier of Wesnoth campaign (just finished "Beast of Aethenwood) and even though I'm not going to give detailed feedback on scenarios or errors I just have to say:

This campaign is absolutly great !

Foremost I like the story and the extension of the world map to the south. The "detailness" is stunning - reading the unit-descriptions of the khalifate/ottoman army was as much fun as playing the scenario itself. I love the atmosphere of the whole thing and the twists, that make you sometime fight/befriend unexpected foes are much more sensible than in some other campaigns (if one accepts that nearly everybody gets to like the hero's "rural" boldness). The maps are interesting and the whole thing really generates an atmosphere, it feels like playing a book.

I also very much appreciate the difficulty - it is rated as "intermediate" and to my mind that's what it is (compared to the "intermediate" mainline campgains). I'm still a bad player and it's annoying when UMCs, which are labeled intermediate turn out too be significantly harder. This campaign is playable too me albeit I'm learning a lot from it.

So, great work ! I love it !
sergey

Post by sergey »

Excellent campaign! Very, very cool. Great thanks. Just finished "Sands Of Time" scenario.

Some feedback (wesnoth version 1.12.0)
Spoiler:
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
Loci

Post by Loci »

revansurik wrote:
Paulomat4 wrote:in scenario the beast of aethenwood, after the beginnings dialogue you win. I guess I'll read the scenario file, to not miss any important other dialogue.
This is something that happened in a particular scenario of my previous campaign, and something I've seen happening in another UMC campaign; just restart the scenario (two attempts may be necessary), and it should work just fine - moreover, the following scenario should start with Addraryn as a soldier. If restarting The Beast of the Aethenwood doesn't work, then please tell me.
revansurik wrote:
Paulomat4 wrote:hmmm it works now :hmm: Do you know what causes this?
No idea, and I've already asked about it in a topic at the WML workshop and no one managed to find a cause for that either. :-S
I think the problem results from the way you ended the previous scenario. Specifically, you used "linger_mode=no" to immediately end the scenario and advance to the next. Unfortunately, it appears that the game state is not correctly cleared when skipping linger mode (a Wesnoth bug) so the new scenario registers the victory from the previous scenario. I tested removing the "linger_mode=no" line in scenario 16 and it appeared to fix the problem.

Thanks for the great campaign! I'll try to post a full review when I finish it.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

So, I've just come back from travelling, and now I'll be able to answer all the messages and questions :-D
Krolan wrote:I'd say Konrad here is a lucky one.

It is to be expected that you will loose parts of the Death Bringer. I lost all mages except for 2 white mages (which became Mages of Light), I lost half my riders and a few foot units throughout the campaign. I never had problems, though, because I decided to get myself new units whenever possible, since even outlaws you control in some scenerios join the Death-Bringer.

This is the most interesting aspect of this campaign, being forced to make hardcore decisions, like me, throwing away a white mages life to save the life of an almost-lvld up rider, and still win in the end. I admit though, if you got particulary unlucky, you probably should restart from where you first had your death bringer and just try to do what you think is best. Remember, just because a strategy didn't work, doesn't mean the strategy itself sucks, it may be that your "dice" suck. Maybe you did a few mistakes here and there, riders on forest tiles without reason (like protection of another unit), or moving through defensive terrain, which slows you down, for too long, or any number of things.

Just try to keep your common sense up. Loosing units without expecting it is always a bad thing, Loosing a unit you know will die is a necessary sacrifice. All you gotta do is making the sacrifice worth it.
Indeed, the player is supposed to think of strategies a little when fighting with the Death-Bringer - perhaps a little more than intermediate campaigns usually demand -; I'd say that the main thing you must keep in mind is the positioning of your troops: keep sturdy units at the forefront backed by White/Light Mages and units with leadership (like Moran and Ceomyr); leaving two or three knights some hexes away in case of emergency can be good too. I'd also say that Duellists are the most expendable units (though that's based on how much importance you give to them), best as scouts and to finish off wounded enemy units that cannot be reached by other units; and white mages are really important.
Chep wrote:after having just re-installed Wesnoth I thought I'd give my favourite campaign another try.

(Wesnoth 1.12, SoW 2.0.0)

In "Howling Heights" I am plagued by a really annoying sound-effect.

I guess it is supposed to be wind or something but it is just incredibly annoying because it is a) rather loud, b) can't be deactivated by muting "Music" (as it is a sound-effect) and c) resets to the default, loud level of noise everytime you load a game (or go back to the beginning of a turn) - while the overall sound effect level stays low, so you have to change the preferences for soundeffects to something and then back to the value it had to quieten that freaking sound.
It shouldn't be playing after quitting the campaign... :hmm: But, if you want to deactivate it without deactivating the Music, just switch off the Sound FX, and it should be ok.
lesasch wrote:I'm just playing the Soldier of Wesnoth campaign (just finished "Beast of Aethenwood) and even though I'm not going to give detailed feedback on scenarios or errors I just have to say:

This campaign is absolutly great !

Foremost I like the story and the extension of the world map to the south. The "detailness" is stunning - reading the unit-descriptions of the khalifate/ottoman army was as much fun as playing the scenario itself. I love the atmosphere of the whole thing and the twists, that make you sometime fight/befriend unexpected foes are much more sensible than in some other campaigns (if one accepts that nearly everybody gets to like the hero's "rural" boldness). The maps are interesting and the whole thing really generates an atmosphere, it feels like playing a book.

I also very much appreciate the difficulty - it is rated as "intermediate" and to my mind that's what it is (compared to the "intermediate" mainline campgains). I'm still a bad player and it's annoying when UMCs, which are labeled intermediate turn out too be significantly harder. This campaign is playable too me albeit I'm learning a lot from it.

So, great work ! I love it !
I'm really glad that you like it! ^_^
sergey wrote:Excellent campaign! Very, very cool. Great thanks. Just finished "Sands Of Time" scenario.

Some feedback (wesnoth version 1.12.0)
Spoiler:

The blacksmith at Dan'Tonk is just "furniture", nothing is supposed to happen there ;-)
About the treasures of Oreyand, the sword Addraryn gets is supposed to be the only one found. But maybe I could include more in a future release... ;-)
And, finally, I'm glad that you've enjoyed it too! ^_^

;-)