Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zolm

Re: Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Post by Zolm »

The problem occurs because side 2 loses its only unit right when variable oweor_defeated turns 1 - at oweor last breath event. Then it activates event die with all conditions met to end scenario, causing all the problems.

I'll leave the easiest way to fix it without changing the scenario code until author releases a fixed version:

1- open scenario/11_Soldier_Of_Wesnoth, then find this code block:

Code: Select all

[set_variable]
    name=oweor_defeated
    value=1
[/set_variable]
2- cut the above block (ctrl+x on windows) then find this code block, a little below in the file:

[objectives]
            side=1
            [objective]
                description= _ "Defeat the enemy team"
                condition=win
            [/objective]
            [objective]
                description= _ "Defeat of Addraryn"
                condition=lose
            [/objective]
            note={NO_GOLD_CARRYOVER_NOTE}
        [/objectives]
        >>>>PASTE THE CODE YOU CUT HERE<<<<<
[/then]
Then save and close file.

To apply changes in the game, either close and reopen wesnoth, or press F5 at the main window.

The fix will not work in a game already saved (manual ou auto saved); however, you can restart the scenario by loading SoW-Soldier_of_Wesnoth.gz on your save list; the fix will be on effect then.
noobfor

Post by noobfor »

fix worked great! thx Zolm.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

are you also able to provide a fast fix for "Reward of Loyality"? ^^
Zolm

Post by Zolm »

Maybe, but I played through that scenario and didn't notice anything wrong.

I suppose you're referring to Rhur not appearing in your game. This one is a bit complicated to find the cause, but it works like this: in scenario 10 (Parting ways) Rhur is stored, then he isn't used until being restored in scenario 18 (reward of loyalty). I don't know when you started playing, but if for some reason you started using an older version of the campaign which had a problem with the variable store, or which cleared his variable earlier, your game does not have anything on his variable to unstore later, causing this issue. It's a hunch, I didn't play any of the older versions, so I don't know how the code was.

I can provide a workaround, but I advise you to backup the original file somewhere else before editing it, in case something goes wrong:

1- open scenario/18_The_Price_Of_Loyalty, then scroll to line 570. The code block starts like this:

[event]
        name=turn 8

[unstore_unit]
           variable=rhur2_store
           x=59
           y=2
           find_vacant=yes
        [/unstore_unit]
        {CLEAR_VARIABLE rhur2_store}

(rest of code)
2- delete the entire unstore unit block:

[unstore_unit]
           variable=rhur2_store
           x=59
           y=2
           find_vacant=yes
        [/unstore_unit]
3- Insert the block below right after the line "{CLEAR_VARIABLE rhur2_store}":

[unit]
	{RHUR}
	x,y=59,2
[/unit]
Save file, close/reopen wesnoth to apply changes.

As the previous fix, you need to restart scenario by loading SoW-The_Reward_of_Loyalty.gz on your save list.

Just a reminder: Rhur's experience cannot be restored with this method, because this is a brand-new Rhur, not the one from chapter 10.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Thanks very much for the aid, Zolm, I've had really little time lately to examine SoW; in addition to university and work, I"ve had a health issue lately which made me worry a bit. RainerT, I didn't upload Sow to the 1.12 server because I need to play the campaign in that version to see if it works fine in 1.12, and as I said, I've had little time for that - though, if anyone has the time and the willingness to play SoW on 1.12 and search for problems, I'd be really thankful :-D
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

So, now that semestre's ending is near, I got some free time to work on Soldier of Wesnoth. Not only have I (hopefully) corrected the old bugs, but I also added a few things ans, most importantly, uploaded it to the 1.12 server. It should work just fine in this version, but if you find any bug, please report ;-)

Changelog for version 1.2.0:

- Scenarios
    - Damsel in Distress: if moved to Falker's castle, Elywen will take shelter, and player will no longer need protect here
    - Soldier of Wesnoth: bug preveting Moran and Liryn from appearing should no longer happen
    - The Hand that Cuts the Other: added image of chopped gryphon head
- WML
    - Some changes to coding of some scenarios

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
osaridsaris

Post by osaridsaris »

some bugs discovered...
Spoiler:
hyperion1is

Post by hyperion1is »

Hi,
I really like this campaign so far. After playing the four Official campaigns that are for novice players, I tried others and found all of them too hard for me or unbalanced, except Liberty. And this can be a drag. UMC campaings that authors labeled them Easy I found them hard. But this, your campaign is playable for me. I hope you won't make it harder because of what I said. :P But the point is, that if at the start of a campaign you select Easy as difficulty it should mean something, even the campaign is intended to me Intermediate level of difficulty.
Anyway, not to be offtopic here.
I will probably come back with more feedback. But for now,
Spoiler:
Later edit:
Spoiler:
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

hyperion1is wrote:Hi,
I really like this campaign so far. After playing the four Official campaigns that are for novice players, I tried others and found all of them too hard for me or unbalanced, except Liberty. And this can be a drag. UMC campaings that authors labeled them Easy I found them hard. But this, your campaign is playable for me. I hope you won't make it harder because of what I said. :P But the point is, that if at the start of a campaign you select Easy as difficulty it should mean something, even the campaign is intended to me Intermediate level of difficulty.
Anyway, not to be offtopic here.
I will probably come back with more feedback. But for now,
Spoiler:
Later edit:
Spoiler:
Don't worry, I won't make many further changes to this campaign, difficulty-wise ;-)
In Soul of the Kingdom Part II... Well, there should be very few units, if any at all, near Rhur when he appears; when that happens, you have to move Addraryn, Elyniver and Meranoic to where he is as quickly as possible. Use Addraryn to block the passage against outlaws and soldiers, since Rhur doesn't have many hitpoints and is vulnerable to melee attacks. I don't remember saying that the escape passage went northwards, if that's how it's written then I'll correct that...

;-)
hyperion1is

Post by hyperion1is »

Don't worry, I won't make many further changes to this campaign, difficulty-wise ;-)
In Soul of the Kingdom Part II... Well, there should be very few units, if any at all, near Rhur when he appears; when that happens, you have to move Addraryn, Elyniver and Meranoic to where he is as quickly as possible. Use Addraryn to block the passage against outlaws and soldiers, since Rhur doesn't have many hitpoints and is vulnerable to melee attacks. I don't remember saying that the escape passage went northwards, if that's how it's written then I'll correct that...
I've spoken too soon :) After Soul of the Kingdom I arrived in the Gryphon mountain, I think. I have to defeat 2 enemies who both came at me, not at each-other, I have no terrain advantage and my recruits are weaker then theirs. I have recall troups but just making a point. Anyway, I have spent half a day, today and no luck, no victory. Some people just want to kill some time man and that is it :P. So a bit hard. Anyway...
About Rhur in Soul of the kingdom. If you don't know in advance what is to happen (and you don't know the first time you play it, chances are that the others are too far from him to defend him. So him, just dies, being attacked by 3 enemies.
About the exit, Rhur doesn't say anything about north, I didn't said that. It about the fact that it has a selected path. See screenshot. Maybe a bug?
Screenshot about Rhur issue
Screenshot about Rhur issue
How you can see Addraryn, Elyniver and Meranoic are too far from him, because they are fighting the leadears and can't reach to him in time. And those 3 enemies that I circeled can reach him, and kill him. And the path, the one with dots and 1, 2, 3 and so on which can be seen when selecting Rhur, that's misleading.
I hope I make more sense now :)
Thanks for your reply.
Also, when Meranoic attacks a unit appears the dialog about "her innocence" not hurting people, only that it happens on EVERY attack she delivers in a scenario. I don't think you meant it like that.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Well, I definitely did not set Rhur to go that way, specially since the exit is in the tunnel where he initially appears... Are you sure you haven't accidentally clicked on Rhur to go that way? In all cases, you should be able to cancel those movements by double-clicking on him or clicking somewhere else for him to go.
About the Meranoic event, do you mean the one in Road Rumble? If so, that was intentional - though that only happens if you attack humans with her, which you should know will not work in that scenario ;-)
As for the difficulty in Howling Heights: you can make the outlaw side here weaker if you killed all Triad members in the previous scenarios (the two who fight you in the beginning and the one who ambushes Addraryn). If not, then you can try this strategy: recall/recruit your forces and attack one of the sides at once - preferably the outlaw side, since they're closer and, if you go that way, the loyalists will take some time to cross the Gryphon Mountain and reach you. After dealing with one side, you go for the other. ;-)

;-)
hyperion1is

Post by hyperion1is »

revansurik wrote:Well, I definitely did not set Rhur to go that way, specially since the exit is in the tunnel where he initially appears... Are you sure you haven't accidentally clicked on Rhur to go that way?
No. You have a save if it helps. I don't think this save points out what commands I had given and which not but I can record eventually with Fraps or the like.
SoW-The_Soul_of_the_Kingd..._replay.gz
Save of SoW
(25.23 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
In all cases, you should be able to cancel those movements by double-clicking on him or clicking somewhere else for him to go.
Yes, this is how I managed to end scenario. I haven't used debug commands on this campaign. Yet.
About the Meranoic event, do you mean the one in Road Rumble? If so, that was intentional - though that only happens if you attack humans with her, which you should know will not work in that scenario ;-)
I didn't understood the last part. Anyway, I only wanted to point out, that this dialog doesn't happen ONLY the first time you attack a human in the given scenario, but for EVERY attack. Since I wanted to level up Meranoic I delivered more then just a few attacks, and the repeating dialog became annoying.

As for the difficulty in Howling Heights: you can make the outlaw side here weaker if you killed all Triad members in the previous scenarios (the two who fight you in the beginning and the one who ambushes Addraryn). If not, then you can try this strategy: recall/recruit your forces and attack one of the sides at once - preferably the outlaw side, since they're closer and, if you go that way, the loyalists will take some time to cross the Gryphon Mountain and reach you. After dealing with one side, you go for the other. ;-)
I killed all Triad members.
I will try your strategy, although until now this is what I have tried. To kill the outlaw side first and loyalists didn't crossed the mountain, they just went south after me. I will try again and I will wait a few turns, maybe they start crossing the mountain.

If it helps, in case what I have reported to you are some bugs.
Platform: Windows 7 SP1,
Wesnoth version: 1.11.16
hyperion1is

Post by hyperion1is »

1.What version of Wesnoth have you used to play this campaign? 1.11.16
2.How do you rate the difficulty of this campaign in general?(1-10)
So far 6 (I'm at Howling Heights)
3.Which portions of the campaign do you find to be too easy or too hard that may need to be rebalanced?
Howling Heights too hard.
4.How do you find the storyline and the conversation of the campaign?
I like the storyline. Conversation: maybe too much dialog. Some may like this, more in detail, other may think is too much bla bla and they can skip.
5.What changes do you think may be made to make the campaign more interesting?
Some hints about which troops you can recall and which not for those who like leveling up.
I will comeback to this eventually.
6.If you know about Wesnoth Markup Language(WML),please comment on the WML of the various scenarios,stating how they may be improved.
Don't know WML. I think sometimes about trying to learn it and making a campaign.
How hard is it ? :P The UMC editor helps somehow? It trims down the need to code?
lezthar

Post by lezthar »

I'm playing this campaign for the first time, It's a great campaign so far... but....

There is no goblin leader in the first level, how do I complete the objective to get to the second level?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

lezthar wrote:I'm playing this campaign for the first time, It's a great campaign so far... but....

There is no goblin leader in the first level, how do I complete the objective to get to the second level?
The enemy leader appears once you get to certain area on the right side of that map (an allied leader will appear too); did no leader appear after you moved a unit to that side of the map?

;-)