Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lesasch

Re: Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Post by lesasch »

I've got a strange crash in Soldier of Wesnoth's The Lion And the Dragon campaign - somewhere around turn 14 to 15 my Wesnoth's crashes during the turn of one of my allies. Tried the scenario two times to have different placement of my units, but that seems not to be the problem
Did anyone else experience similar crashes and can suggest a solution ? It's a bit annoying to be kinda thrown out of the campaign like this, just 3 scenarios short of the final.

I'm using Wesnoth 1.12.0 on ubuntu 14.04-64 bit, tried on another machins with ubu 14.04-32 bit as well, same thing. Error message is
wesnoth: /opt/wesnoth12/src/actions/../ai/lua/../../unit_map.hpp:176: unit_map::iterator_base<iter_types>::value_type* unit_map::iterator_base<iter_types>::operator->() const [with iter_types = unit_map::const_iter_types; unit_map::iterator_base<iter_types>::pointer = const unit*; unit_map::iterator_base<iter_types>::value_type = const unit]: Assertion `valid()' failed.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

I had the same crash as in the previous post (on a Mac), during turn 15 of Soldier of Wesnoth's The Lion And the Dragon. If anyone ends up here in a search, I got past it by using the debug commands to take over control of the allied computer controlled sides... so things like :droid 5 :droid 6 etc. This got past whatever computer AI action was creating the crash.
Angelonius

Post by Angelonius »

After that cave mission, I always got a crash. No matter what I do, I can't seem to debug it.
marat

Post by marat »

ru translation.

To work correctly, you must make changes to the file _main.cfg

Code: Select all

[textdomain]
    name="wesnoth-Soldier_of_Wesnoth"
	 path="data/add-ons/Soldier_of_Wesnoth/translations"
[/textdomain]
Attachments
translations.zip
.MO+.PO Soldier_of_Wesnoth (BfW 1.12)
(664.16 KiB) Downloaded 559 times
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

marat wrote:ru translation.

To work correctly, you must make changes to the file _main.cfg

[textdomain]
    name="wesnoth-Soldier_of_Wesnoth"
	 path="data/add-ons/Soldier_of_Wesnoth/translations"
[/textdomain]
Well, considering that you went through the work of translating my campaign even though I didn't ask, the only thing I can say is: thank you! ^_^
And you did it just in time, I'm almost finishing the new version (which should be released this weekend) 8)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Sorry for the double post, but, well, here it is: the loooong overdue updated version of Soldier of Wesnoth!
Now, I know I said, in the last release (which, now that I think about it, happened around 2 whole years ago :shock: ) that I wouldn't add or change anything, unit or story-related. But, well, I did add some customised units for heroes (such as Arslan and Liryn, who's now a 'black knight' - yes, I was inspired by Star Wars' Poe Dameron on that :lol: ), changed a bit some of the old... Also, I've finally given the player the chance to power up two more soldiers of the Death-Bringer, as there are now two powerful artefacts to be found in the ruins of Oreyand 8)
Most importantly, though, I gave some new lines for Elyniver, beginning with 'Another Damsel in Distress'. This was due to my realisation that I had made Elyniver, the independent and badass rogue of the first scenarios, play second fiddle in much of the campaign's second half - and this really, really bothered me :oops: I didn't change too many of her lines, true, but I hope the changes do manage to correct that original mistake and give her the deserved prominence in the group that goes to the Northlands :)

That said, here goes the changelog for version 3.0.0:

Version 3.0.0

- Scenarios
        - Damsel in Distress: corrected bug which caused Goblin Riders to appear in western areas even after Allwyn was reached
	- The Dulatus Hills: added option of not paying the Innkeeper (which prompts him to attack); decreased enemy sides' gold
	- The Soul of the Kindom, part II: added customized unit types for both Black Death and Venom
	- Sands of Time: Added two more special items to be found in Oreyand's ruins; Orofarnië must now stay only 3 turns idle to decipher the gates
	- The Beast of the Aethenwood: Corrected bug that caused scenario to finish at start
	- The Lion and the Dragon: bug that happens around turn 14 should no longer happen

- Units
    - Removed old Khalifate units, since they're now mainline
	- Added custom Knight unit for Liryn
	- Added custom unit types for Vennyn
	- Added customised (actually, modified outlaw) units for Northern humans
	- Added custom Khalid unit for Arslan

- Miscelanea
    - Changed 'Protection' ability so that it also affects units of levels 2 and 3
	- Some changes to text and dialogues

- Artwork
    - New/Changes to portraits for Willem Eldric, Liryn, Vennyn, Sallyra and Reana

- Translation
    - Added Russian translation (courtesy of marat)

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
ahmannar

Post by ahmannar »

In the scenario "The beast of Aethenwood", the 3 enemy generals were alive when they killed Sendra. This resulted in ending the scenario with victory, with the dialogue going on as if they were all defeated.
humanressource

Post by humanressource »

Dont know if this is a bug or a feature, but in "Dulatus Hills" it is possible to convert the first Ogre and the Innkeeper (that lvl 3 thug guy) to your side if you ignore the Ogre (i.e. let him live), dont pay the Innkeeper (which prompts him to attack you and restores your MP completely, enabling you to run away) and trigger the event of Elyniver and her gang attempting to rob you.

After the dialogue ends, every Blue unit on the map is converted to team Red (yay, I gotz Ogre!).

Not complaining, but this doesn't seem like it is intended ;)

Also: After not paying the Innkeeper and still having 20 gold, Elyniver is referring to my gold amount as "10 gold", which would be true if I had paid the Innkeeper.
For we are many!
derluna

Post by derluna »

But even then, with my extra units, I can't complete the next scenario. I manage to defeat all of the generals, and the Beast of Aethenwood, but I can't defeat Sendra with my remaining units. I've tried, and I cannot. I've been at this all day! ^^

Spoiler:
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

derluna wrote:But even then, with my extra units, I can't complete the next scenario. I manage to defeat all of the generals, and the Beast of Aethenwood, but I can't defeat Sendra with my remaining units. I've tried, and I cannot. I've been at this all day! ^^
No idea how helpful this is, but I have a really old replay of that scenario. I played it using the standard Wesnoth tactic of camping around on good terrain (the hills and keep in the south) for a very long time until the enemies were basically all gone, then moving in to kill the leaders. (It says it's corrupt in the later turns, but I think it works if you just ignore all.)

---
p.s. So great to see this awesome campaign get an update- I'll need to give it another playthrough sometime!
Attachments
SoW-The_Beast_of_the_Aeth..._replay.gz
very old (wesnoth 1.12.0) replay, medium difficulty
(121.78 KiB) Downloaded 643 times
Pags

Post by Pags »

stuck in scenario "Soldier of Wesnoth"

did training and won with staff. have gone to armory (which isn't ID'd on map), have longsword and shadow dagger and presum. armor, then went to top of map. no exits. there's a blocked exit SW of the main room in the north. tried all other exit-like passages that i found
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

derluna wrote:But even then, with my extra units, I can't complete the next scenario. I manage to defeat all of the generals, and the Beast of Aethenwood, but I can't defeat Sendra with my remaining units. I've tried, and I cannot. I've been at this all day! ^^
What strategy did you use? I usually win by concentrating my forces in the southern area of the map, using hills to my advantage and waiting for the enemy to attack first, so I won't have to send units to exposed terrain. Also, I like placing pikemen/halberds on the front for the first clash, as the first enemy units to reach you will probably be dragoons, longbowmen or pikemen. If you've taken good care of your units (which you should do, given the limited recall list), you should have Mages of Light and Iron Maulers on your side, plus the units with Oreyand weapons; they give you a considerable advantage, if you employ them well ;)

Pags wrote:stuck in scenario "Soldier of Wesnoth"

did training and won with staff. have gone to armory (which isn't ID'd on map), have longsword and shadow dagger and presum. armor, then went to top of map. no exits. there's a blocked exit SW of the main room in the north. tried all other exit-like passages that i found
As you move to the hall in the north (the open area on the upper extreme of the map), you should trigger an event where many units appear. Did you try that? The other corridors are not supposed to go anywhere :)

;-)
Pags

Post by Pags »

Problem was, I think, exploring up there before I had gone to do my training. I think it only checks the trigger when the map is revealed and then sees if you've met the requirements. Since that failed, it didn't re-trigger when I had done training and had the new equip.

so maybe map reveal but turn shroud on?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Pags wrote:Problem was, I think, exploring up there before I had gone to do my training. I think it only checks the trigger when the map is revealed and then sees if you've met the requirements. Since that failed, it didn't re-trigger when I had done training and had the new equip.

so maybe map reveal but turn shroud on?
That's the issue, then: you should have gone first to the training with Captain Oweor, and then gone north. If you did the opposite, the final training won't trigger :?

;-)
Pikesmith

Post by Pikesmith »

First of all, I love Soldier of Wesnoth. It's the best written campaign I've played, and I've been playing Wesnoth on and off for about six years now. The Characters are complex and engaging, the levels have so far been challenging but not ridiculous, and the arcs of the mains have caused me more than one sleepless nights recently. Overall great job!

I am getting stuck on the Beast of Aethenwood mission however. I can barely survive, much less kill the enemies! Any suggestions?

Edit: I beat it, but oddly after I'd beaten one of the generals and the Elven lady was defeated I apparently won? Is that a bug or a feature?