Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Post by revansurik »

Thus, after a five month work, my second campaign, Soldier of Wesnoth, is released in the add-ons server :-D

A brief description...
"697 YW. More than two decades after King Konrad II died leaving no heir, three noble Houses vie for the control of the kingdom, which, still feeling the damages of Mal-Ravanal's invasion, sees its glory and power slowly fade away. Meanwhile, in the southern province of Kerlath, a young peasant called Addraryn sets out to join Weldyn's Army, in order to be able to marry the fair Elywen. However, his travel will suffer some very unexpected twists which will lead him to the main stages of the Second Civil War. Journey across Wesnoth, witness its decadence, meet old heroes and save the kingdom from the enemies within and from the formidable Lion of the Desert..."

A few questions to help me improve it:

1.What version of Wesnoth have you used to play this campaign?
2.How do you rate the difficulty of this campaign in general?(1-10)
3.Which portions of the campaign do you find to be too easy or too hard that may need to be rebalanced?
4.How do you find the storyline and the conversation of the campaign?
5.What changes do you think may be made to make the campaign more interesting?
6.If you know about Wesnoth Markup Language(WML),please comment on the WML of the various scenarios,stating how they may be improved.

And thanks in advance for playing my campaign!
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Post by Paulomat4 »

I'm playing on 1.11.5
The story and the dialogues are great unit now.
In the first scenario, everytime when Addraryn kills a goblin he says that he has been training with the staff... I believe it should only happen, when he kills the first goblin. You could do that by giving he first goblin an id which would differentiate him from other goblins.
Also I miss the hero icons on Elywen and addraryn.

As far as i can see you created new units for Elyniver, just to add some feature like one attack more, or such. wouldn't it be easier to just use the [modify_unit] tag?

Soul of the kingdom part 2:
In the dialogue they always speak about addraryn and the mage to have come for the trial, but only addraryn is there. I think that's because she disaapeared after entering the healers shop. Also rhur isn't there too.
Also there's an invalid wml error message, because the tag target is too old. instead use: [goal]
Also, when following the small path in the south, i end up in a small pool of water, and nothing happens.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

In the first scenario, everytime when Addraryn kills a goblin he says that he has been training with the staff... I believe it should only happen, when he kills the first goblin. You could do that by giving he first goblin an id which would differentiate him from other goblins.
Also I miss the hero icons on Elywen and addraryn.
I accidentally put first_time_only=no for the goblin killing event, my bad :-P
I will correct the missing hero icons too; should have noticed that before...
As far as i can see you created new units for Elyniver, just to add some feature like one attack more, or such. wouldn't it be easier to just use the [modify_unit] tag?
Not only does she has one more attack, but she has the marksman ability. i thought it would be easier to create a new unit; in my first campaign, I used modify_unit to give Heal as an ability to an elf sorceress, but she lost it when she levelled up...
In the dialogue they always speak about addraryn and the mage to have come for the trial, but only addraryn is there. I think that's because she disaapeared after entering the healers shop. Also rhur isn't there too.
Also there's an invalid wml error message, because the tag target is too old. instead use: [goal]
Also, when following the small path in the south, i end up in a small pool of water, and nothing happens.
Wait, Meranoic should appear... I used [unstore_unit], has it been replaced by another tag in 1.11.5?
As for Rhur, doesn't he appear on any moment?
As for the [target] tag, should I simply replace it with [goal]?
Move any unit to the tiles between 13,36 and 15,36, if nothing happens again then it's a mistake I will correct.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/AiWML#The_.5Bgoal.5D_Tag
here's about the goal tag. target still seems to work, but will be removed on from 1.12. Same goes for your custom abilities. Their descriptions also have a format that won't be supported on from 1.12
Wait, Meranoic should appear... I used [unstore_unit], has it been replaced by another tag in 1.11.5?
As for Rhur, doesn't he appear on any moment?
Meranoic disappears after entering this shop. I don't know about [unstore_unit] but i haven't heard, that it's removed; normally it should work :hmm: Rhur doesn't appear at all. I didn't paid attention when he disappears though. He is there at the beginning of the city lvl, but i don't know if he reappears after entering the tavern.
here's a savefile if you want to take a look at it:
SoW-The_Soul_of_the_Kingdom,_Part_II.gz
(7.35 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
Move any unit to the tiles between 13,36 and 15,36, if nothing happens again then it's a mistake I will correct.
oh, that wasn't clear. because the way continued, i thought i had to follow it. managed to end the scenario.

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Meranoic disappears after entering this shop. I don't know about [unstore_unit] but i haven't heard, that it's removed; normally it should work :hmm: Rhur doesn't appear at all. I didn't paid attention when he disappears though. He is there at the beginning of the city lvl, but i don't know if he reappears after entering the tavern.
Wait, if Meranoic and Rhur are not with you then you shouldn't continue the game... See, in scenario 4, did you move Rhur to the Charging Pony? Because if not, then he was still onscreen when you finished that level... Well, I have placed a [store_unit] at the end of The Soul of the Kingdom, in case Addraryn, Meranoic and Rhur were still onscreen; is it possible that this second [store_unit] is causing those units not to appear in the following scenario...?
About the descriptions, what is wrong with their format?

;-)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

yeah, i thought that to, so i didn't continue. :)
i don't know about store unit, i haven't used that myself until now.
For the descriptions:

Code: Select all

description= _ "Terror:
This unit can frighten enemy units that are next to it, making them fight worse.

Adjacent enemy units of lower level will do less damage in battle. When an enemy unit of the same or lower level is adjacent and engages in combat, its attacks do 15% less damage times the difference in their levels + 15%."
this would be wrong, and this:

Code: Select all

description= _ "When this attack is used on offense, the opponent will retaliate with one less strike than normally, to a minimum of one strike."
would be right. I just looked at your abilities and it seems that not all are wrong.
Can you see the difference? terror has its name at the beginning of the description, but shock hasn't.

revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Can you see the difference? terror has its name at the beginning of the description, but shock hasn't.
Ah, I see it now... Thanks for the hint :-)
I will try to solve that problem of the units not appearing, maybe it has something to do with me not using CLEAR_VARIABLE after the [store_unit]... Meanwhile, you could try replaying scenario 4, which is not long, without following the alternative objecives - sending Meranoic to the shop, etc, maybe it will work this way...

;-)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

yeah, without the bonus objectives it works completely fine. all unitss are there.

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

in scenario the beast of aethenwood, after the beginnings dialogue you win. I guess I'll read the scenario file, to not miss any important other dialogue.
EDIT: In the next scenario i start with Addraryn being a peasant again. I guess i'll have to wait until you find a way to fix it.

revansurik

Post by revansurik »

in scenario the beast of aethenwood, after the beginnings dialogue you win. I guess I'll read the scenario file, to not miss any important other dialogue.
This is something that happened in a particular scenario of my previous campaign, and something I've seen happening in another UMC campaign; just restart the scenario (two attempts may be necessary), and it should work just fine - moreover, the following scenario should start with Addraryn as a soldier. If restarting The Beast of the Aethenwood doesn't work, then please tell me.

;-)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

hmmm it works now :hmm: Do you know what causes this?
About the scenario itself:
Spoiler:
About Reward of loyality
Spoiler:
Amsel in distress
Spoiler:

revansurik

Post by revansurik »

hmmm it works now :hmm: Do you know what causes this?
No idea, and I've already asked about it in a topic at the WML workshop and no one managed to find a cause for that either. :-S

The Beast of the Aethenood: will correct that ugly assassins' fight, and also Sendra's ai...

Reward of Loyalty: Um, maybe I should nerf the enemy sides a little... And also give a warning about the return of the outlaw veterans :-)

Another Damsel in Distress: Try clicking end turn, and wait for the next turn begin, the heroes should appear. I just looked at the scenario file, I used [place_shroud] on the entire map but forgot to use [not] in the area where the heroes reappear - however I used [redraw], which should have made the heroes appear anyway...

;-)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Farewell, Wesnoth
Spoiler:

gooby

Post by gooby »

In the Soul of the Kingdom, if Meranoic goes in the shop she disappears in the next scenario.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

In the Soul of the Kingdom, if Meranoic goes in the shop she disappears in the next scenario.
Got this error already, (hopefully) corrected it; next release will have this correction, but I'm waiting for a little more feedback before releasing 1.0.1 ;-)

;-)