Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Postby Tigertown84 » November 2nd, 2016, 1:52 am

Revansurik, I was really enjoying Soldier of Wesnoth until I hit a glitch/puzzle/anomaly that I cannot solve. I am playing TBfW on Version 1.12.6. After defeating Isolde the Lich with General Moran in The Heart of Darkness, it takes me to the Sands of Time scenario.

One of the conditions for defeat in that scenario is the death of 'Orofarnie'.

Problem is I don't have any units named 'Orofarnie'. When was I supposed to have encountered this person? I even tried going back 5 scenarios twice and replaying those maps and neither time did I ever meet this 'Orofarnie' character. I am guessing from the dialog before Sands of Time that Orofarnie is a desert fairy/shyde perhaps, but since I've never seen her I really don't know...

So I tried to play through the Sands of Time without Orofarnie, but later found out that character is the ONLY one that can open the north gate.... So in essence I was then doomed to having turns run out on me. I wandered all over the map on both the Heart of Darkness and Sands of Time, no Orofarnie. Ugh.

Please tell me where I went wrong, thank you for the assist and for a great campaign with a fun story line.

Orafarnie, come out, come out, wherever you are....
Wife: "So how late were you up LAST night playing that stupid game you're addicted to?"
Me: "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....."
Tigertown84

Postby Inky » November 2nd, 2016, 2:53 am

Tigertown84 wrote:Problem is I don't have any units named 'Orofarnie'. When was I supposed to have encountered this person?

He shows up in The Heart in the Darkness when you move to the great tree near the center of the map on the left side (the hex 32, 17). (When you get close there's a line of dialogue hinting that you should investigate the great tree.)
Commented playthroughs with screenshots:
Let's Play Dead Water, Let's Play Invasion from the Unknown and Let's Play After the Storm (in progress)
Inky

Postby Tigertown84 » November 2nd, 2016, 6:46 am

Thanks for the assist Inky!
Wife: "So how late were you up LAST night playing that stupid game you're addicted to?"
Me: "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....."
Tigertown84

Postby revansurik » November 2nd, 2016, 2:02 pm

Inky wrote:
Tigertown84 wrote:Problem is I don't have any units named 'Orofarnie'. When was I supposed to have encountered this person?

He shows up in The Heart in the Darkness when you move to the great tree near the center of the map on the left side (the hex 32, 17). (When you get close there's a line of dialogue hinting that you should investigate the great tree.)

Not just hinting, it becomes a secondary objective actually :hmm: Tigertown84, perhaps the window with the new objective ("Investigate the Great Tree") didn't show up?
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
revansurik

Postby __cc__ » November 12th, 2016, 3:22 am

I'm really enjoying this campaign. It's clear that there's been a lot of thought put in to it.

But I think I've found a bug in "The Reward of Loyalty". I start the scenario with a mage of light, and Addraryn, but somehow Liryn always dies at the end of turn 6 and I am defeated. I don't even know where Liryn is! I've replayed a number of times, and tried to go in different directions, but he always dies at the end of turn 6. And his death isn't even shown as a defeat condition for the scenario.
__cc__

Postby revansurik » November 12th, 2016, 2:24 pm

__cc__ wrote:I'm really enjoying this campaign. It's clear that there's been a lot of thought put in to it.

But I think I've found a bug in "The Reward of Loyalty". I start the scenario with a mage of light, and Addraryn, but somehow Liryn always dies at the end of turn 6 and I am defeated. I don't even know where Liryn is! I've replayed a number of times, and tried to go in different directions, but he always dies at the end of turn 6. And his death isn't even shown as a defeat condition for the scenario.

Liryn starts the scenario as the leader of an allied side; once you get to the village of Allwyn, however (the fort on the mid-eastern side to the map), he joins you again. You have to rush Addraryn north as soon as scenario begins ;)

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
revansurik

Postby devvmh » November 15th, 2016, 12:54 am

Hey Revansurik, I downloaded Soldier of Wesnoth the other day and I'm loving it! I was looking for a campaign that could be as fun as a mainline campaign and this totally fits the bill. I'd love to see this make it into mainline someday. (I signed up for the forum to post this)

I'm only as far as Dan Tonk so I can't comment on everything, but I wanted to send a comment now. If I end up finishing the campaign, I'll post more feedback.

1. Wesnoth 1.12
2. I'd say the difficulty is a 5. I'm playing it on normal, and I'm definitely below-average in my Wesnoth skill, but I've been having fun working through with a bit of save-scumming.
3. I'm not really far enough in, but the balance seems fine. I did struggle to beat both enemies in the Dulatus Hills, but I ended up recruiting 2 units and using a tiny strike force to kill each leader rather than staging a full-on assault.
4. In terms of storyline, I think the strength by far is the broad outline. The story definitely captures your imagination and draws you in. Some of the writing is a little awkward, so it would need to be revised if this were to go into mainline (IMHO), and I'd love to see that happen! If you'd like any specific feedback, I could take a look at sending you suggested revisions, but it's your baby so I haven't tried that so far. Again, the story itself is awesome and interesting, which is what's kept me coming back.
5. Other than making the dialogue more fantasy-novel-esque as I mentioned in #4, I think the events could be updated to be more natural. The beginning of the Dulatus Hills scenario is the only one that really jumps to mind for me (and again, I have a lot more work to do before finishing the whole thing). I found the ogre and the innkeeper encounters to be intriguing but ultimately weren't very fun for me. For instance, I was so worried about losing 50% of my 20 gold at the start, I fought the innkeeper to the death and died a few times before beating him. I realized later it made way more sense to skip it. I wish it was more viable to beat the innkeeper, but perhaps with a different cost (one of the loyal bandits deserts, perhaps, because you killed the innkeeper). I'd also be happier as a player if there were actual small differences in the story if I chose a different path through the hills - I was a bit let down by having the exact same result from going in the other direction on a replay. Even if I got a footpad instead of a thief or something (maybe there's a small skirmish between Addaryn and one of the bandits?) it would make me feel better about my decision and more in control of my fate

I'll reiterate: I'm absolutely loving this story and congratulations on making such a great story and great campaign. I'll post back once I'm further along in beating it!
devvmh

Postby __cc__ » November 16th, 2016, 2:20 am

revansurik wrote:
__cc__ wrote:I'm really enjoying this campaign. It's clear that there's been a lot of thought put in to it.

Liryn starts the scenario as the leader of an allied side; once you get to the village of Allwyn, however (the fort on the mid-eastern side to the map), he joins you again. You have to rush Addraryn north as soon as scenario begins ;)

On one of my replays I got to the fort and did two rounds of recalls before the non-existing Liryn died yet again at the end of turn 6. But I'll try again....
[edit] ...tried again, multiple time in multiple directions. No Liryn appears, and he always dies end of turn 6. (I did make it to turn 7 once, but he died at the end of that turn). Also, are there supposed to be only one or two allied peasants?
__cc__

Postby revansurik » November 25th, 2016, 9:43 pm

Hello everyone! Just passing by to say I've uploaded version 3.0.1 of Soldier of Wesnoth; I haven't had as much time as I'd have wanted to work on it, but I did add a piece of coding to prevent the 'Liryn death' bug in Reward of Loyalty, and I've made the enemy generals in The Best of the Aethenwood less hard to fight ;)

Code: Select all
V.3.0.1

Version 3.0.1

- Scenarios
    - The Beast of the Aethenwood: Decreased enemy generals' amount of gold, and made their AI so that their troops should not be well organized.
    - The Reward of Loyalty: Liryn should stay at the keep of Allwyn until found by player.

;-)
revansurik

Postby __cc__ » November 26th, 2016, 5:36 am

revansurik wrote:... I did add a piece of coding to prevent the 'Liryn death' bug in Reward of Loyalty...

Thanks. Downloaded and can confirm that it's now fixed.
__cc__

Postby MerlinCross » March 1st, 2017, 9:19 am

Not done yet, gotten to the half way point and beyond, not much further though.

1. 1.12.6 but I've played over a few versions
2. Depends. I'd say 5 up until the Death Bringer segment and then that jumps to 7-8 easy. And then lowers due to the vets returning for a stage or two. What I'm saying is it feels like I'm running into Difficulty Spikes even when doing well.
3. Thus far, the Death Bringer segments. I like the idea and story telling it's great but ouch those battles are nightmarish at times. But it's also great for story telling so I don't know how to fix that. Maybe a few more units and some more Quick traits?
4. It seems fine but I'm not a writer.
5. Ghost of the Ancient. Boring dull grindy map. And there's these 2 big side rooms that have nothing(Well one has 2 villages in the middle of a mushroom patch). Given what I know is coming and how beat up an army can be, maybe throw in a 1-2 items in there to find.
6. I admit, I've popped the hood on the campaign to learn some for my own tinkering(And to go what is this at times), but from what I understand and see, it's pretty good and organized.
MerlinCross

Postby PapaSmurfReloaded » November 1st, 2017, 12:36 am

This campaign is delightful to play, its really well made. :)
18th Century Warfare Era, try it out!
A Random RPG Adventure, play it!
Infantry Wars Era, give it a shot!
Zombie Apocalypse RPG, run for your life!
PapaSmurfReloaded

Previous

Return to Scenario & Campaign Development