Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tigertown84

Re: Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Post by Tigertown84 »

Revansurik, I was really enjoying Soldier of Wesnoth until I hit a glitch/puzzle/anomaly that I cannot solve. I am playing TBfW on Version 1.12.6. After defeating Isolde the Lich with General Moran in The Heart of Darkness, it takes me to the Sands of Time scenario.

One of the conditions for defeat in that scenario is the death of 'Orofarnie'.

Problem is I don't have any units named 'Orofarnie'. When was I supposed to have encountered this person? I even tried going back 5 scenarios twice and replaying those maps and neither time did I ever meet this 'Orofarnie' character. I am guessing from the dialog before Sands of Time that Orofarnie is a desert fairy/shyde perhaps, but since I've never seen her I really don't know...

So I tried to play through the Sands of Time without Orofarnie, but later found out that character is the ONLY one that can open the north gate.... So in essence I was then doomed to having turns run out on me. I wandered all over the map on both the Heart of Darkness and Sands of Time, no Orofarnie. Ugh.

Please tell me where I went wrong, thank you for the assist and for a great campaign with a fun story line.

Orafarnie, come out, come out, wherever you are....
Wife: "So how late were you up LAST night playing that stupid game you're addicted to?"
Me: "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....."
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Tigertown84 wrote:Problem is I don't have any units named 'Orofarnie'. When was I supposed to have encountered this person?
He shows up in The Heart in the Darkness when you move to the great tree near the center of the map on the left side (the hex 32, 17). (When you get close there's a line of dialogue hinting that you should investigate the great tree.)
Tigertown84

Post by Tigertown84 »

Thanks for the assist Inky!
Wife: "So how late were you up LAST night playing that stupid game you're addicted to?"
Me: "ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....."
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Inky wrote:
Tigertown84 wrote:Problem is I don't have any units named 'Orofarnie'. When was I supposed to have encountered this person?
He shows up in The Heart in the Darkness when you move to the great tree near the center of the map on the left side (the hex 32, 17). (When you get close there's a line of dialogue hinting that you should investigate the great tree.)
Not just hinting, it becomes a secondary objective actually :hmm: Tigertown84, perhaps the window with the new objective ("Investigate the Great Tree") didn't show up?
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
__cc__

Post by __cc__ »

I'm really enjoying this campaign. It's clear that there's been a lot of thought put in to it.

But I think I've found a bug in "The Reward of Loyalty". I start the scenario with a mage of light, and Addraryn, but somehow Liryn always dies at the end of turn 6 and I am defeated. I don't even know where Liryn is! I've replayed a number of times, and tried to go in different directions, but he always dies at the end of turn 6. And his death isn't even shown as a defeat condition for the scenario.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

__cc__ wrote:I'm really enjoying this campaign. It's clear that there's been a lot of thought put in to it.

But I think I've found a bug in "The Reward of Loyalty". I start the scenario with a mage of light, and Addraryn, but somehow Liryn always dies at the end of turn 6 and I am defeated. I don't even know where Liryn is! I've replayed a number of times, and tried to go in different directions, but he always dies at the end of turn 6. And his death isn't even shown as a defeat condition for the scenario.
Liryn starts the scenario as the leader of an allied side; once you get to the village of Allwyn, however (the fort on the mid-eastern side to the map), he joins you again. You have to rush Addraryn north as soon as scenario begins ;)

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
devvmh

Post by devvmh »

Hey Revansurik, I downloaded Soldier of Wesnoth the other day and I'm loving it! I was looking for a campaign that could be as fun as a mainline campaign and this totally fits the bill. I'd love to see this make it into mainline someday. (I signed up for the forum to post this)

I'm only as far as Dan Tonk so I can't comment on everything, but I wanted to send a comment now. If I end up finishing the campaign, I'll post more feedback.

1. Wesnoth 1.12
2. I'd say the difficulty is a 5. I'm playing it on normal, and I'm definitely below-average in my Wesnoth skill, but I've been having fun working through with a bit of save-scumming.
3. I'm not really far enough in, but the balance seems fine. I did struggle to beat both enemies in the Dulatus Hills, but I ended up recruiting 2 units and using a tiny strike force to kill each leader rather than staging a full-on assault.
4. In terms of storyline, I think the strength by far is the broad outline. The story definitely captures your imagination and draws you in. Some of the writing is a little awkward, so it would need to be revised if this were to go into mainline (IMHO), and I'd love to see that happen! If you'd like any specific feedback, I could take a look at sending you suggested revisions, but it's your baby so I haven't tried that so far. Again, the story itself is awesome and interesting, which is what's kept me coming back.
5. Other than making the dialogue more fantasy-novel-esque as I mentioned in #4, I think the events could be updated to be more natural. The beginning of the Dulatus Hills scenario is the only one that really jumps to mind for me (and again, I have a lot more work to do before finishing the whole thing). I found the ogre and the innkeeper encounters to be intriguing but ultimately weren't very fun for me. For instance, I was so worried about losing 50% of my 20 gold at the start, I fought the innkeeper to the death and died a few times before beating him. I realized later it made way more sense to skip it. I wish it was more viable to beat the innkeeper, but perhaps with a different cost (one of the loyal bandits deserts, perhaps, because you killed the innkeeper). I'd also be happier as a player if there were actual small differences in the story if I chose a different path through the hills - I was a bit let down by having the exact same result from going in the other direction on a replay. Even if I got a footpad instead of a thief or something (maybe there's a small skirmish between Addaryn and one of the bandits?) it would make me feel better about my decision and more in control of my fate

I'll reiterate: I'm absolutely loving this story and congratulations on making such a great story and great campaign. I'll post back once I'm further along in beating it!
__cc__

Post by __cc__ »

revansurik wrote:
__cc__ wrote:I'm really enjoying this campaign. It's clear that there's been a lot of thought put in to it.

Liryn starts the scenario as the leader of an allied side; once you get to the village of Allwyn, however (the fort on the mid-eastern side to the map), he joins you again. You have to rush Addraryn north as soon as scenario begins ;)
On one of my replays I got to the fort and did two rounds of recalls before the non-existing Liryn died yet again at the end of turn 6. But I'll try again....
[edit] ...tried again, multiple time in multiple directions. No Liryn appears, and he always dies end of turn 6. (I did make it to turn 7 once, but he died at the end of that turn). Also, are there supposed to be only one or two allied peasants?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Hello everyone! Just passing by to say I've uploaded version 3.0.1 of Soldier of Wesnoth; I haven't had as much time as I'd have wanted to work on it, but I did add a piece of coding to prevent the 'Liryn death' bug in Reward of Loyalty, and I've made the enemy generals in The Best of the Aethenwood less hard to fight ;)

Code: Select all

V.3.0.1

Version 3.0.1

- Scenarios
    - The Beast of the Aethenwood: Decreased enemy generals' amount of gold, and made their AI so that their troops should not be well organized.
    - The Reward of Loyalty: Liryn should stay at the keep of Allwyn until found by player.

;-)
__cc__

Post by __cc__ »

revansurik wrote:... I did add a piece of coding to prevent the 'Liryn death' bug in Reward of Loyalty...
Thanks. Downloaded and can confirm that it's now fixed.
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

Not done yet, gotten to the half way point and beyond, not much further though.

1. 1.12.6 but I've played over a few versions
2. Depends. I'd say 5 up until the Death Bringer segment and then that jumps to 7-8 easy. And then lowers due to the vets returning for a stage or two. What I'm saying is it feels like I'm running into Difficulty Spikes even when doing well.
3. Thus far, the Death Bringer segments. I like the idea and story telling it's great but ouch those battles are nightmarish at times. But it's also great for story telling so I don't know how to fix that. Maybe a few more units and some more Quick traits?
4. It seems fine but I'm not a writer.
5. Ghost of the Ancient. Boring dull grindy map. And there's these 2 big side rooms that have nothing(Well one has 2 villages in the middle of a mushroom patch). Given what I know is coming and how beat up an army can be, maybe throw in a 1-2 items in there to find.
6. I admit, I've popped the hood on the campaign to learn some for my own tinkering(And to go what is this at times), but from what I understand and see, it's pretty good and organized.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

This campaign is delightful to play, its really well made. :)
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Okay, so I started playing this recently. Currently on The Heart in the Darkness, and I'm dealing with the dillema of wanting to get it over with as quickly as possible vs not being able to get myself to play too long and too often because that storm is driving me crazy. It could be that it's the first time I've seen something like this so I'm just not used to it, but the lag, the poor visibility and the ambient noise is driving me crazy. Also, I think the day-night cycle is a bit wonky as the bonuses and penalties of Dawn/Dusk and Daytime are mixed up.

Another gameplay issue I had was in the very first scenario. When playing on easy, the goblin leader gets himself killed long before any of the peasants even have a chance to get anywhere near the enemy. This means that it's physically impossible for Addraryn to be anything but a peasant with 0 experience, despite the flashing warning sign telling me that this would be a bad thing. This basically means that I could not take on the lvl1 ogre at the beginning of the next scenario without repeated reloads and praying to the random number gremlin for mercy. I eventually spent several turns throwing pitchforks at it from the inn, to chip away at it's hp, getting 1 xp every time, and got him to be like 1 point away from leveling up by the time it died. I'm guessing not many people playtested this campaign on the lowest difficulty.

On scenario 4 (or is it 5? the one with the trial), I had trouble figuring out where to go. A couple hexes are revealed after Rhur shows up, that focuses on a platform in a narrow canal that's entirely shallow water, so I assumed the canal is where I need to go. I actually had to reload after I ran out of turns trying to walk through it, only to find out that the actual direction I needed to go is south at the intersection, and not where the shroud was removed.

On the griffin mountain scenario, a scripted event at the very end suggests there was supposed to be a baby griffin there, but I never encountered it. Maybe because I moved all my guys clockwise to avoid splitting them up. I'm guessing the scenario simply assumes people won't do that, but my recommendation would be to either make the encounter unavoidable, or the scene with the mother griffin conditional, because if there's a way to break a sequence, players will inevitably break it, even without knowing.

A minor complaint about the terrain aesthetics. Some of the maps look extremely well done, but others, not so much. There's a recurring aesthetic problem where the edges of forests and hills are just straight lines, and the areas concicting of them are just bigger hexes, and are isolated from one another while many of the flat areas are overly extensive and wide open. They don't have an organic and natural feel to them. But like I said, it's minor, and not really detracting.

The dialogue feels weird at times. For once, neither "charriot" nor "vehicle" is a correct term for a horse drawn wagon or carriage. the first one simply means something completely different while the second is a technical term, and not something simple medieval folk would use in every day language. The character names don't feel all that natural either, and it sometimes feels like there's no logic behind them other than making them "fantasy sounding". Also, people talk way too much about damage types, unit types and resistences. It breaks the immersion occasionally, but it's more of a polishing issue than a glaring error.

Another problem I had so far are the characters. Addraryn isn't all that remarkable or charismatic, not to mention how after he joins the army, I find myself repeatedly forgetting that he even exists, as he gets compltely lost in the crowd. A lot of his interactions with others also feel somewhat contrived. He always gets lucky, and somehow always gets on almost everybody's good side when the story calls for it. This can work out with a traditional folk hero character, which I'm sure is what you were going for, but he doesn't have the personality for it. In fact, he's a somewhat bland and generic goody two-shoes idealist which just doesn't seem to work, and by all logic shouldn't work, in a world that has already been established to be populated almost entirely with self centered douchebags. If that's the kind of story you want to tell (good peasant vs stuck up greedy ruling classes) the "Sly Peter" approach is really the best way of going about it. But that would be a completely different story, and it's your campaign so I'll leave it to you.

Anyway, looking forward to progressing further. Will call back once I complete it.
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

Finished it. The story got better by the time i had to crash the wedding and went for the northlands. Unfortunateley, the whole class-war thing got way too pretentious towards the end, and hearing the same rethorics in a game that were force-fed to my parents when they were kids tends to suck out the enjoyment from an otherwise good story.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
The game started dragging out towards the end there, and it REALLY began to try my patience after the end of The Lion and the Dragon. That scenario in itself was frustrating enough as it is. The map is the exact same as the one used in Parting of Ways, and includes the annoying script that reverts control of villages to the blue player every single time someone captures them. This means not only are a unit's move points reduced to zero every single time they step on a village, the trigger makes undoing a move impossible without reloading the last save. Combined with the arbitrary invisible walls (couldn't the space between the buildings be filled up with something other than a slightly different colored pavement?) this makes fighting inside the city a frustrating experience. And that's not even mentioning the large number of allies. By the time the white player (second controllable ally) arrived, the city was already clogged up and there was no space for them to move. This is made even worse by the weather effects, that were so bad this time, i had to disable the animations.

The problem i had with AI controlled allies in the very beginning have persisted, as the enemy leader was killed by my allies both in Motherland and the final scenario. Not to mention I've been getting flashbacks to the one hour turns from Northern Rebirth. There's just way too many things going on.

My nitpicks with the writings still stand. "Professor" is an odd way to adress an elven sage, "offence" is used instead of "offense" and "defence" instead of "defense".

Anyway, i did download the dragon trilogy and I'm looking forward to playing that.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

Does your lore check out with the Akladian lore? I mean, it should right..?

EDIT:
Spoiler: