The White Troll (1.1.0) - 1.16 Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nuorc
Forum Regular

Re: The White Troll (1.0.1) - 1.10/1.11 Campaign

Post by nuorc »

zepko wrote:Use your imagination :wink:
N/A
zepko wrote:the "show_turn_counter" command shows the overall amount of turns.
ok. I believe I played campaigns where the x/y counter changed when objectives changed.
I have a cunning plan.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I'm enjoying this campaign, I like the character development so far, as in they have good personalities :) To me the dialogue has been decent, I'm a native English speaker.
Spoiler:
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I'm at The Outpost again. I noticed two things at the opening dialogue:

1. There's a lot of talk about the fallen bridge while it is still in sight; could you maybe remove it simultaneously to the earthquake?

2. One elve talks about 'chopping down some wood' which to me seems somewhat unelvish...

If you'd like me to stop nitpicking just let me know. :wink:
I have a cunning plan.
zepko

Post by zepko »

nuorc wrote:ok. I believe I played campaigns where the x/y counter changed when objectives changed.
The number in the objectives changes, when you pass turns the counter is updated automatically. It's true however that there are campaigns where, for instance, the objective is "Resist for 25 turns" and the turn limit is set to 25. Then something happens and turn limit is increased. In this scenario I think it's somehow clear what to expect for the ending, given the presence of the 3 elves building the bridge (and to build the bridge you need some wood :wink: ), so one might expect an objective change and you already know how many turns you have to do next actions.
nuorc wrote:1. There's a lot of talk about the fallen bridge while it is still in sight; could you maybe remove it simultaneously to the earthquake?
I've noticed that too, but the problem here is that the event changing the terrain is the same with the earthquake and all the dialogues, so the game somehow performs the tasks in its own order. I wouldn't really know how to solve. Maybe 2 different events? I should give it a try...
nuorc wrote:If you'd like me to stop nitpicking just let me know. :wink:
Don't worry, comments are welcome!
Crow_T wrote:I'm enjoying this campaign, I like the character development so far, as in they have good personalities :) To me the dialogue has been decent, I'm a native English speaker.
Good to know, thanks!
Crow_T wrote:Mystic Pond, easy level, 1.10.6 ...
That scenario has been a bit difficult to balance. We have already reduced the number of creatures to summon since a previous version (the objective here is that you familiarize with summoning and get to know the various creatures, hence the need to summon in the objectives), but there is always the risk that a player finishes with too few or too many mana points, affecting the following scenarios. Also that guy entered the balancing issues, then I decided to use him only to make the scenario less flat and introduce some variations.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

zepko wrote:In this scenario I think it's somehow clear what to expect for the ending, ..., so one might expect an objective change and you already know how many turns you have to do next actions.
Yeah, [alt+s] also tells me a lot. I'm again working on that (on easy). Last time I killed leader1 and suddenly found myself in a very uncomfortable position featuring a bunch of lvl2 horsies. 3 loyal units far off still practicing their wood chopping skills. Leaving the leader alive didn't change that... That's soo against my D&D nature! :wink:
zepko wrote:Maybe 2 different events?
I guess first changing the map and then have the other event shouldn't be too difficult. But I very well might be totally wrong.

[Edit] Clash in the forest: I don't have a recall list? :evil:
I have a cunning plan.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I really like this campaign so far, to me the maps really give a sense of place, and it feels very well done. One gripe:
Spoiler:
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Crow_T wrote:One gripe:
Spoiler:
I can relate.
Spoiler:
Maybe I missed it: was there a reason in the story that I can't recall?

Edit: the replay's invalid. :x
wt-oprpl.jpg
wt-oprpl.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 5882 times
YAE: The Lost replay shows the same WML error message but plays fine. I'm not sure if I received the Bonus or the even bigger Bonus. And I'm afraid all the work I put in the loyal Trolls might have been pointless...
I have a cunning plan.
zepko

Post by zepko »

Crow_T wrote:In Clash in the Forest you can't recall troops with the elvish lord.
nuorc wrote:Maybe I missed it: was there a reason in the story that I can't recall?
Sure there is! Lord Denvan is pitiless and has slaughtered your whole army! :twisted:
But...
Spoiler:

However, you two are not the first who didn't notice it, so it might be worth to put it in a message as soon as the objective changes... I'm afraid you'll have to replay the scenario to have your veterans back. Or
Spoiler:
nuorc wrote: The Lost replay shows the same WML error message but plays fine. I'm not sure if I received the Bonus or the even bigger Bonus. And I'm afraid all the work I put in the loyal Trolls might have been pointless...
All my replays have that error as well, but they are all perfectly playable. I have no idea of the origin of that message, all I know is that it appears with replays from all campaigns, including mainline ones.
About the bonuses, you receive them if you do as said in the objective. But bonuses are not in gold.
Spoiler:
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

zepko wrote:However, you two are not the first who didn't notice it, so it might be worth to put it in a message as soon as the objective changes...
As you mentioned it, I faintly remembered it. My goof.

I didn't know the wml error before, but if you say so... Maybe someone tech savvy around could check if that is reported? The Outpost replay actually works, the error message and the missing replay controls (due to the dialog) threw me off there.

I received the visible part of the bonus in Lost, so I guess everything's fine.
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I have a feature request: Double this campaign in size :lol2: I feel like this could keep going quite far- to me its like AOI, its just getting started then it ends.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I just uploaded version 1.0.2 of this campaign to the 1.11 add-ons server. As usual, I leave to zepko the task of backporting the changes to the 1.10 series. Anyway, these are minor changes:three dialogue corrections and the removal of some unused images.
Crow_T wrote:I have a feature request: Double this campaign in size :lol2: I feel like this could keep going quite far- to me its like AOI, its just getting started then it ends.
Well, if anyone wants to write a sequel, that's fine for us. :) Believe me or not, but the original plan called for a 7-scenarios campaign, instead of the actual 8...
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
zepko

Re: The White Troll (1.0.2) - 1.10/1.11 Campaign

Post by zepko »

Ready. Version 1.0.2 is now available on the 1.10 server.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:Well, if anyone wants to write a sequel, that's fine for us. :) Believe me or not, but the original plan called for a 7-scenarios campaign, instead of the actual 8...
OK, I write it and you code it? :mrgreen:
lynx

Post by lynx »

So far so good.
Spoiler:
zepko

Post by zepko »

Crow_T wrote: OK, I write it and you code it? :mrgreen:
Why instead don't you code it and we play it?? :)
lynx wrote:So far so good.
Spoiler:
Spoiler: