Red Winter (Loyalist Campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sire

Red Winter (Loyalist Campaign)

Post by Sire »

Notice: This campaign is still under development and may not be representative of the final product.

This is the general feedback thread for my campaign, Red Winter. You can download the latest version of Red Winter from Battle for Wesnoth's add-on server using the 1.12.x branch.

For the latest information on this campaign, such as changelogs, please check the last few pages of this topic.

Description:
501 – Years Wesnoth – Season of Winter
The Turmoil of Asheviere…

The isolated populace of the Estmark Mountains are known for their warrior prowess and for their military academy at Estlyn. Asheviere, desiring to use these warriors to strengthen her hold on the throne, sent emissaries in an attempt to gain their aid. The proud people of the Estmarks declined to join Asheviere, and the Dark Queen would soon respond with an answer of her own...

Play as these proud Humans from the Estmarks, resist against Queen Asheviere, and discover the buried secret of Estmark Mountain. All the while, as mortal forces clash in combat, an unseen force seeks release from her prison...
(Expert Level, 7 Playable Scenarios, 1 Story Scenario)

Features:
- A 7 scenario Loyalist campaign with an epilogue.
- Emphasis on story and characters.
- Custom music from the UMC Music Books.
- A focus on higher level units and heroes. Almost all of your units are level 2 or higher.
- Limited forces. You cannot recruit new units for this campaign, only recall!
- A fair amount of massive battlefields!
Required Portraits & Sprites:
Last edited by Sire on October 3rd, 2016, 10:33 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Current Projects: [Sire's Scenarios] || [Red Winter Reborn]
revansurik

Re: Red Winter

Post by revansurik »

Just downloaded it; won't play it right now because it's late in my country and I have classes tomorrow, but there are a few things I can already suggest:

1 - I may be wrong, but isn't Winterfell the name of a city in Skyrim? You may want to change this name, to avoid copyright issues, but maybe there's no problem with that (I personally see none, other than the fact that it doesn't seem to fit Wesnoth, though it is also a personal point of view).

2 - Still on the topic of names, don't you think it would be better to use Wesnothian or Wesnothian-sounding names instead of so many modern English names? Adam, Simon and especially Lewis sound a bit weird, at least to me.

3 - For the art, you could try picking images from landscapes and modifying them in order to make them more painting or drawing-like through, for example, gimp. I did it for my campaign A Song of Fire, and I thought it worked quite well :-)

4 - The Baron unit is too overpowered with all those dwarf-like resistances and the 27-2/30-1 attacks; he doesn't even look human, I mean, he's stronger than an Iron Mauler, which is told to be the physically strongest human unit :shock:

This is my feedback for now, tomorrow I'll see if I find enough time to play the scenario (university life is quite busy, ya know :-P )
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Sire

Post by Sire »

Reply to the post above:

1: I also believe Winterfell happens to be a name in the Game of Thrones series. However, I would prefer if I didn't have to change it, but will when the need arises. (I don't believe I heard of it being used when I originally concept-ed the campaign)

2: I am happy with the names as it currently stands. I think I'm a little too attached to them over the course of development (especially the concept phase!)

3: I have ambitious plans for the artwork, as they are meant to represent the scenes described in the text (that's why there's so little!). Of course, this will require an artist, but I will worry about the introduction artworks later. [However, probability of it actually getting done if fairly low]

4: The Baron unit is meant to be overpowered. Play the scenario and you will find he is pretty invaluable and has weaknesses of his own (Despite having a ranged attack, he can still be swarmed by Bowmen and Mage, and Simon may be essential for completing the higher difficulties). As the campaign progresses, the player will fight higher level enemies, and Winterfell is supposed to represent a warrior-type people (Perhaps some of the best in the land). Because of this, I want the player leaders (Simon and Roland) to be better than the common units. Of course, if Simon is a little too overpowered, he may receive a nerf.

Also, I just got finished with my university work. Sweet freedom!

EDIT:
I updated Red_Winter to version 0.0.2. This fixes a major bug where the player couldn't recruit units when reinforcements arrived.
Eugen

Post by Eugen »

Have you made a concept of your campaign back in the 90s then? 'Cause the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire by G. R. R. Martin was published in 1996.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

I suppose the book wasn't well-known in his country... That's normal since what really made it known is the series. They are still some people that don't know it's adapted from Martin's books.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Sire

Post by Sire »

While I'm in the USA, I'm not known to know much about culture and the current happenings. I want to say I created the original concept for this campaign late in 2011, with a revised version in early 2012. The current version was created this year.
I've only started hearing about the tv series and the fact it was based off the books just recently (I believe I was hearing talk about it before Season 3 released - around March).

However, all this is a discussion about the name of the barony (Come on guys. Does no one care about Northshire? That one was deliberate!).

Are there any comments to the scenario itself, such as the writing, difficulty, bugs, and so on?
Sire

Post by Sire »

Update:
- Red Winter uploaded to 1.10.5's add-on server. (Apparently, it works on that too!)
-- Note: I will primary be focusing on working with compatibility on the 1.11 branch (currently under development).
- I am aware that replacement dialogue may not play. This should hopefully be fixed in the next release.

Thank you for your patience.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Tested it out on Wesnoth 1.10.6. Easiest Mode (Normal). Not a complete test; just up to about Turn 16. Things started bugging out a bit. Plus, I had just finished HttT earlier -- another troop-heavy, casualty-heavy scenario didn't appeal to me too much at the moment :lol2:

Had no game-breaking errors that shut down Wesnoth, so I'm assuming these comments will hold true between the established and development versions.

First of all, some pros:
Spoiler:
Criticisms/Bugs:
Spoiler:
Other Criticisms/Bugs (Scenario Spoilers):
Spoiler:
Hope this helps. Haven't playtested in a while. Sorry for the large amount of text...
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Sire

Post by Sire »

@ bigkahuna

No, thanks for the wall of text! More wall of text is needed!
Now, for the response...

Pros:
Spoiler:
Criticisms/Bugs:
Spoiler:
Other Criticisms/Bugs (Scenario Spoilers):
Spoiler:

Well, the general consensus so far is the names I chose really aren't "Wesnoth" enough. Is there a resource where I can find more "Wesnoth-ish" names?
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Sire wrote:Is there a resource where I can find more "Wesnoth-ish" names?
Recruit some units and look at their names?
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

General Bugs/Criticism:
Spoiler:
Scenario Spoilers:
Spoiler:
Sire wrote:Well, the general consensus so far is the names I chose really aren't "Wesnoth" enough. Is there a resource where I can find more "Wesnoth-ish" names?
It's really up to you. I thought it was rather odd, but there's sure to be some oddballs here and there. This is an out-of-the-way fief, after all. However, having only the leader/hero units with these names and the other units without them didn't make much sense. For the official names used in the Wesnoth name generator, go to ./data/core/macros/names.cfg (the ./ being wherever Wesnoth is saved on your computer). Open the file with whatever word processor you have. It has a comprehensive list of all the drake/undead/human/etc. names the generator uses.

All the other responses satisfy me. Good luck with your campaign!
Join the new R2D forum!
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I have this campaign in my addons folder but its not showing up in game, either in the campaign menu or the remove addons. Just got it a minute ago, 10.6
Sire

Post by Sire »

Version 0.0.3 has been released!

Changelog:
Spoiler:
General Reply:
Spoiler:
Ninja'd! I'll see what is causing the problem, it seems to be working for me at the moment.
Sire

Post by Sire »

Crow_T wrote:I have this campaign in my addons folder but its not showing up in game, either in the campaign menu or the remove addons. Just got it a minute ago, 10.6
Seems like I'm a version behind in the stable branch. I uploaded the campaign using 1.10.5 of the stable branch. (1.11.2 of Developmental as well, which is my main focus)

Unless the 1.10.x add-on server is the same for each one, it may be that different versions of Wesnoth do not use the same files.

You can try downloading the attachment provided or try redownloading it from the add-on server if it is shared across the 1.10.x versions.
Attachments
Red_Winter.zip
(92.55 KiB) Downloaded 427 times
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Sire wrote:Unless the 1.10.x add-on server is the same for each one, it may be that different versions of Wesnoth do not use the same files.
It is. I played it on 1.10.6 and it showed up just fine.
Sire wrote:Things to Do:
- Implement Global Variables
Be very careful with these. They always worked spottily for me, when they worked at all (of course, that was when 1.9.x was the development branch. Things might have changed). If you can find a workaround using normal variables, I'd recommend it.
Join the new R2D forum!