A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jim Goodridge

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Jim Goodridge »

So far this has been a great game but I am stuck on "Wilderness" . I've tried three times using different strategies but it is just a no-go for me. The spawning of the wild animals seems fairly insane. From the comments made here it looks like I have to re-start the game and work on building dwarf lords so I have a bunch of them for this scenario.

Best Regards
Jim
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Me too Jim. I think if constant spawning is to happen it should be only very low level units- it just gets to be like work.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I have made it through "Farewell". There is text "At least let me foyou then". Probably mean "follow you".

EDIT: In "Blood of the Steppes" every time I load a save file after having made a mistake and my gold is negative, it is increased to zero. I have no idea why.

EDIT: In "Besieged", Myra saying "you darn dragon" seems absurdly mild to the native English speaker. I would suggest replacing it with "damn", "Godd*mn" or similar. Because I am a native English speaker you can consult me about your ideas.

EDIT: "Fires of Hope" ... how did you do it? Is there a trick, like in "Besieged"? (I kept getting defeated until I realized I could use the outer defenses to recruit from.) I'm getting overwhelmed here!

EDIT: "Wings of Rebellion" ... also horrible (I cheated in "Fires of Hope"). I finally beat these Orcs back and then they get reinforcements?!?!

EDIT: Dvalin doesn't appear on turn 4 in "Conquest of the Promised Land".
Blood of the Steppes: That must be a bug of the game; I've never had this problem, though... :hmm:

Besieged: Got it ;-)

Fires of Hope: I'm seeing lots of complaints about this scenario (and also The Wilderness, which I'll coment later), but I have decreased its difficulty a lot. See, it is supposed to be hard: Myra's band was exhausted after a long and perilous journey, I wanted to convey the feeling of being overwhelmed that the refugees felt while fighting a larger, rested drake army. However, if you use Aragwaithi Spearman and Windsong Scribes strengthened by Ravyan's (or any other Ancient Banner or Captain) leadership, plus your already experienced units, plus some water elementals to keep the drakes at bay in the water and in the swamp, you can win that scenario.

Wings of Rebellion: Come on, by the time you reach this scenario you must have an army of lvl 3 units, both sturdy and strong (like Stone Titans, Dwarf Lords, Windsong Oathkeepers or Hannuk War Charioteers) and mighty at ranged attack (such as Windsong Librarians, Hannuk Forest Banes and the lvl3 air elemental which name I forgot). Force the orcs to fight on sandy terrain, place your units on the walls, and don't bother very much about defeating the orcish leaders; the main goal of this scenario is to hold off the orc armies. About the reinforcements, I could either remove it or give the orcs a larger ammount of gold at scenario's start; in the first case, the scenario would be too easy, and in the second, Atron and his forces would be completely overwhelmed and destroyed before the player could even reach the Crystal Tower.

About Dvalin not appearing on scenario The Conquest of the Promised Land: I have a question: did you find the dwarves in The Sun Path - which is when Dvalin and the dwarves part from Myra's group?
So far this has been a great game but I am stuck on "Wilderness" . I've tried three times using different strategies but it is just a no-go for me. The spawning of the wild animals seems fairly insane. From the comments made here it looks like I have to re-start the game and work on building dwarf lords so I have a bunch of them for this scenario.
As I said before, this scenario is supposed to be slightly hard: as Jevyan says in Bitter Return, 'no human expedition had ever returned from that region'. However, if you choose your recruits carefully, it won't be so hard, and I'm not talking about Dwarf Lords. See, earth elementals are good against wolves and ogres; fire elementals are especially good against scorpions; air elementals can strike from afar, and with their ranged attack they can lower enemy hp unpunished; and water elementals can distract enemy units, especially skeletons, in water. Other than that, you must know how to move your units, keeping them in formation, never letting any of them alone and far from the others; and never delaying them on a single spot for too long.
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Wilderness took me two tries, the first I opted for a minimal-recruit dash to the finish but got swamped, the second I bought up big and had no issues, but my problems with this scenario, aside from the annoyance of getting to the end, are more story based. Myra has a demonstrated ability (with the spiders) to control wild beasts, yet here she is being slaughtered by them... Maybe some mechanic that allows her to take control of some units here would be a nice touch?
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Myra has a demonstrated ability (with the spiders) to control wild beasts, yet here she is being slaughtered by them... Maybe some mechanic that allows her to take control of some units here would be a nice touch?
Well, I have tried to make the beasts - ogres not included - avoid her, but it didn't work; see, I'm not good with coding, and at the time I did that scenario I was even worse :oops: However, I'm getting more skilled with it, so I promise I'll think about something ;-)

EDIT: However, she does explain, in the beginning of the scenario, that she wasn't going to try and control all beasts in the Wilderness because it would take far too much time.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Version 0.3.3 is out; I just corrected some writing mistakes and added 2 new (and, imho amazing :-D )songs - which are in the version 0.2.2 of the ASoF Music Pack.

Changelog:

Code: Select all

Version 0.3.3:
        -------------------

-Music:
          - ASoF Music Pack 0.2.2 is out, with 2 new theme songs
        - Scenarios:
           - Minor changes to the writing.

;-)
gooby

Post by gooby »

revansurik wrote:Blood of the Steppes: That must be a bug of the game; I've never had this problem, though... :hmm:
:?
revansurik wrote:Wings of Rebellion: Come on, by the time you reach this scenario you must have an army of lvl 3 units, both sturdy and strong (like Stone Titans, Dwarf Lords, Windsong Oathkeepers or Hannuk War Charioteers) and mighty at ranged attack (such as Windsong Librarians, Hannuk Forest Banes and the lvl3 air elemental which name I forgot).
I had a lot of Guardians. They nonetheless had a very hard time holding the Orcs at bay and most of them were slaughtered.
revansurik wrote:About Dvalin not appearing on scenario The Conquest of the Promised Land: I have a question: did you find the dwarves in The Sun Path - which is when Dvalin and the dwarves part from Myra's group?
If that's the one with the wolf-man in the east, yes I did.
Akashia

Post by Akashia »

I just finished playing the campaign and I really enjoyed it: Exciting story underlined by nice music and varied scenarios...
So thank you for your great work!

Over the past few years I've been playing various campaigns, but A Song of Fire was one of the best in my opinion.

As a hint for others: A bunch of air elementals were quite useful to me in many scenarios.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

If that's the one with the wolf-man in the east, yes I did.
That's weird... I will see what may be the cause of this problem. About the negative gold when starting a scenario, it seems like a bug of version 1.11.2; version 1.11.4 has corrected this problem.
I just finished playing the campaign and I really enjoyed it: Exciting story underlined by nice music and varied scenarios...
So thank you for your great work!

Over the past few years I've been playing various campaigns, but A Song of Fire was one of the best in my opinion.
I'm really glad that you enjoyed it! ^_^ I hope you also enjoy the sequel I'm planning: War of the Jewel, which will tell of Maat'Kare's rise, the fate of the Sky Soul and many other things - though this one may take a while to be released.
PS.: If you enjoyed the music, you may want to give a look at version 0.2.2 of the ASoF Music Pack, I've added 2 great new theme songs :wink:

;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

All right, I made The Wilderness and Fires of Hope less hard... :-P
I also made some noticeable changes in some scenarios; for example, in The Sky Dragon Descends it is now nigh impossible to kill the dragon leaders (I don't know about you, but I have managed to kill 2 of them when I replayed the campaign; and they are not supposed to die like this) but don't worry, it only gets nasty if you attack them directly ;-)

Version 0.3.3:
        -------------------

- Scenarios:
          - Some corrections to the writing.
          - The Sky Dragon Descends: added events for attacking the enemy dragon leaders, Shek'kahan and Khrakrahs
          - Other minor changes
       - Maps
         - Slightly altered the maps for scenarios The Sky Dragon Descends, Fires of Hope and Fading of a Flame

;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Just noticed that the last changelog says version 0.3.3, instead of 0.3.4...
Anyway, I'm releasing version 0.3.5; again it has just some minor changes. I'm also releasing version 0.2.3 of the ASoF Music Pack, which contains one new song.

Version 0.3.5:
        -------------------

- Scenarios:
          - Some minor corrections to the writing.

- Music
         - Added 1 new song

;-)
Blouse5

Post by Blouse5 »

In Legend of the water dragon, after I move Myra to her keep, the scenario doesn't end. Version 1.11.4
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

In Legend of the water dragon, after I move Myra to her keep, the scenario doesn't end. Version 1.11.4
Does any error message appear, such as '[terrain_graphics] not supported?'

;-)
Blouse5

Post by Blouse5 »

revansurik wrote:
Does any error message appear, such as '[terrain_graphics] not supported?'
There are no error messages. Do you have to defeat the saurian leader too, or just move her to the beginning keep?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

No, it's just returning to her keep... By the way, you moved her right to the keep, from where she recruits, and not to the 'castle' hexagons, right?

;-)