A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Post Reply
User avatar
Inky
Moderator
Posts: 515
Joined: September 22nd, 2014, 1:02 am
Location: USA

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Inky » September 16th, 2016, 1:28 am

TripleSnail: Thanks for the very helpful tips- I had no idea you could use thunder/dragonguards in Scenario 19! I admit, it's just part of my personal playstyle that I never use thunder/dragonguards, because I hate how they only have 1 strike and it never hits when you need it to :P

I've edited the guide (the unit overview, and scenario 14 and 19 entries) to recommend using them; also feel free to edit the page if you think anything else should be changed.
TripleSnail wrote:I lost only one unit in that scenario.
Wow, nice!! I lost tons of units in that scenario, though I was taking more of a cannon fodder approach :oops:

Delicius169
Posts: 175
Joined: February 16th, 2015, 5:02 pm

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Delicius169 » September 21st, 2016, 12:56 pm

Hi, I felt in love with this campain, loved those hard survival scenarios... I just arrived on the ne continent, and I wont probably get to this campain for at least 2 weeks, so before I forget.
Drakes are fun! Really really fun to fight with...

What really irritated me were my stupid allies. Ouh how they were dump!
Especially in scenario: S14 The Sky Dragon Descends, my allies were bravely jumping into the watter to fight the drakes... brave, but teriblly stupid...
Couldnt it be possible to make allied heroes stay in their castle?

User avatar
revansurik
Posts: 534
Joined: October 17th, 2012, 11:40 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by revansurik » September 30th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Delicius169 wrote:Hi, I felt in love with this campain, loved those hard survival scenarios... I just arrived on the ne continent, and I wont probably get to this campain for at least 2 weeks, so before I forget.
Drakes are fun! Really really fun to fight with...

What really irritated me were my stupid allies. Ouh how they were dump!
Especially in scenario: S14 The Sky Dragon Descends, my allies were bravely jumping into the watter to fight the drakes... brave, but teriblly stupid...
Couldnt it be possible to make allied heroes stay in their castle?
Sorry, I don't know how I didn't see your message before :doh:
Well, the idea is that the leaders are not just commanders, but warriors too, like those warrior generals of old (think of Alexander the Great, Spartacus, Leonidas and Genghis Khan). Also, considering how some of the allied leaders you meet across the campaign are pretty powerful units themselves, I thought it'd be a waste to leave them standing idly two hexes away from a dying drake :lol:
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)

derluna
Posts: 8
Joined: September 28th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by derluna » October 13th, 2016, 12:03 pm

Although the hint suggests not to do so, I still have killed enemy leaders at S13 Twilight of the Kingdoms.
However, I've done that at only turn 12, before Dvalin appears.
And Dvalin just disappears in later scenarios..
I have progressed to S25 Wings of Rebellion, and have never seen him again.
So what should I do now to retrieve him ? I am reluctant to play from S13 again...

User avatar
Inky
Moderator
Posts: 515
Joined: September 22nd, 2014, 1:02 am
Location: USA

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Inky » October 16th, 2016, 9:35 pm

derluna wrote:Although the hint suggests not to do so, I still have killed enemy leaders at S13 Twilight of the Kingdoms.
However, I've done that at only turn 12, before Dvalin appears.
And Dvalin just disappears in later scenarios..
I have progressed to S25 Wings of Rebellion, and have never seen him again.
So what should I do now to retrieve him ? I am reluctant to play from S13 again...
Dvalin and the dwarves aren't supposed to be with you in S25 Wings of Rebellion; they're supposed to come back on turn 4 in S26 Conquest of the Promised Land.

If you haven't already played scenario 26, maybe see if this works: In 26_The_Conquest_Of_The_Promised_Land.cfg replace line 327 variable=dvalin5_store with variable=dvalin2_store, and then after the line {MODIFY_UNIT id=Dvalin side 5} add the line {MODIFY_UNIT id=Dvalin canrecruit yes}.

----
On the subject of allied leaders, the one time I felt it was an issue was scenario 4, where the leader would sometimes behave suicidally and you were required to keep her alive.

derluna
Posts: 8
Joined: September 28th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by derluna » October 17th, 2016, 7:20 am

Inky wrote:
derluna wrote:Although the hint suggests not to do so, I still have killed enemy leaders at S13 Twilight of the Kingdoms.
However, I've done that at only turn 12, before Dvalin appears.
And Dvalin just disappears in later scenarios..
I have progressed to S25 Wings of Rebellion, and have never seen him again.
So what should I do now to retrieve him ? I am reluctant to play from S13 again...
Dvalin and the dwarves aren't supposed to be with you in S25 Wings of Rebellion; they're supposed to come back on turn 4 in S26 Conquest of the Promised Land.

If you haven't already played scenario 26, maybe see if this works: In 26_The_Conquest_Of_The_Promised_Land.cfg replace line 327 variable=dvalin5_store with variable=dvalin2_store, and then after the line {MODIFY_UNIT id=Dvalin side 5} add the line {MODIFY_UNIT id=Dvalin canrecruit yes}.

----
On the subject of allied leaders, the one time I felt it was an issue was scenario 4, where the leader would sometimes behave suicidally and you were required to keep her alive.
Thank you. However,
I mean that I haven't seen Dvalin from S14 to S25 either...
and all dialogues by Dvalin just been skipped.
I think I should resume from S13 again to see what he says.
Thank you anyway, I love this campaign.

derluna
Posts: 8
Joined: September 28th, 2016, 7:41 pm

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by derluna » October 28th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Just finished this Campaign. I love the story

I have a question about that:
Spoiler:

User avatar
revansurik
Posts: 534
Joined: October 17th, 2012, 11:40 pm
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by revansurik » October 30th, 2016, 2:47 pm

derluna wrote:Just finished this Campaign. I love the story

I have a question about that:
Spoiler:
I'm glad you've enjoyed it! ^_^

About Jevyan:
No, he isn't the same. He actually was, in the original draft of the story, but later I changed it, as the way I developed Jevyan couldn't sensically end up with him becoming that twisted lich. The explanation I found for the similarity in names is that Lich-Lord Jevyan's people (the Skironians that appear in A Song of Fire's sequel) descend of the Maat'Karians, and so old Maat'Karian names are somewhat common amongst Skironians (like, for example, many modern people are named after the old apostles of Jesus or after Roman emperors) ;)
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)

embair
Posts: 3
Joined: July 15th, 2010, 6:15 pm

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by embair » February 16th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Hi, loving the campaign so far, really interesting and challenging maps.

That said, I think scenario 11 "Legend of the water dragon" is currently bugged - the "Move Myra back to her keep" objective never triggers for me.

I know bugger all about scenario editing but I had a peek at the scenario file and it looks to me like there might be an error at line 776 "id=uMyra" -> "id=Myra"?
Tried changing it myself but it didn't help with my existing save, maybe I would have to restart the scenario?... Anyway no biggie, I've read the final piece of dialogue from the scenario file and skipped to the next mission. Just thought I should let you know. Cheers and thanks for your amazing work! :D
Last edited by embair on February 18th, 2017, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
UnwiseOwl
Posts: 471
Joined: April 9th, 2010, 4:58 am

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by UnwiseOwl » February 16th, 2017, 8:47 pm

If this happens and you restart the scenario from the original save, you're right that it will fix the problem once you've fixed the errors in the cfg file.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.

Bonners
Posts: 3
Joined: April 2nd, 2011, 10:18 am

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Bonners » February 24th, 2017, 11:26 pm

Hi to the author of the Campaign

I have just downloaded and installed Wesnoth 1.12.6 (I've played for years on earlier versions)
I added A Song of Fire and its two Dependencies
On launching the Campaign the message pops up:

Error
Error loading game configuration files. The game will now exit.
Details:
unit type 'Cuttle Fish' not found when resolving [advancefrom] tag for 'Kraken'

Thus I haven't yet got to Scenario 1
This doesn't seem to be a known bug, unless I missed in in my trawl.
Any thoughts?

Cheers

User avatar
TorMac
Posts: 41
Joined: February 23rd, 2017, 2:13 pm

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by TorMac » April 25th, 2017, 1:11 am

Really cool storyline;

Some thoughts hoping to be helpful -
I'm using 1.12.5

I think the intro text is a little too long (I'm a reader and I don't mind, but I think a player's impulse will be to read quickly and dive into the game). Have you thought of trying to "show" more things in the scenarios (for example, have an NPC notice that there are only women in the school, and that way you don't have to have it in the intro).

A Comon Cause scenario could benefit from taking less time to get to the action, but it's not really too bad.

A mounstrous help I found hard without knowing who my enemies were... A clue (like a character finding tracks, or smell, or somesuch) might help. I had recruited the wrong kind of units the first time around.

Lighting Strike - M'lena got herself killed too easily before I could arrive by jumping into the water. Perhaps lowering the leader_agression in the ai? In general the Windsong humans seem to eager to rush to their deaths... perhaps also increasing the caution for the whole faction would be good if this seems to be a problem with others.

REALLY enjoying it so far! Nice writing. I'll post more notes if you find these useful.
Napoleonic Warfare for Battle for Wesnoth project.

Symbiomatrix
Posts: 1
Joined: July 15th, 2017, 4:49 pm

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Symbiomatrix » July 15th, 2017, 5:47 pm

1. V1.12.6, ASOF V0.5.8.
2. ...
3. ...
4. Admired the garden at 27; notwithstanding, a memorial plaque for other casualties would have been ceremonious.
5. ...
6. Dabbling reader. Some noteworthy issues:
- 15_farewell_b: Line 306 contains a right quotation mark instead of apostrophe, causing the message to stop dead in its tracks.
message= _ "Lets go then... *I feel there was something
- 18_besieged: During the end of turns scene, side 1 units at the allocated radius are killed without triggering last breath, thus one may potentially resume the campaign bereft of any (save for myra) precious comrades, or burdensome subordinates, whichever you prefer. Aware the objective advises against it.
- 30_old_friends: The second part ought to be named ", part 2" in order to not overwrite / mention overwriting the gz & replay.
- 31_Night_Fire: This is the underlying cause for the bug at 32 - apparently, the combination of victory event + no linger + followed by non-story consistently results in early termination. (Would venture a guess of linger clearing some victory trigger, but as stated above I have no idea what I'm doing.)
Regardless, the fix is simple - change the event to last breath of vrykos, which is invisible to the user aside from vrykos' final message showing up, as it should.

Fred__
Posts: 1
Joined: August 2nd, 2017, 8:13 am

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Fred__ » August 2nd, 2017, 8:16 am

Hi
I love this campaign really!
But...
Scenario 11, move Myra back to her keep don't end the scenario...

I tried the unofficial patch but it changed nothing :(

User avatar
Sadaharu
Posts: 147
Joined: December 13th, 2017, 11:39 pm

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by Sadaharu » January 3rd, 2018, 4:10 pm

I'm playing on BfW 1.12.6. The Saurian Seer is an invalid entry, apparently.

I get this message when trying to access the entry.
Parse error when parsing help text: ‘corrupted original file’

Post Reply