Campaign: A Few Logs

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

perseo

Re: Campaign: A Few Logs

Post by perseo »

Wow, that would be great, I usually like to finish the campaigns I start. Would the saves be compatible?
Anyway, thanks, I'd be very grateful If you update 1.10 server's version.
See ya!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

perseo wrote:Wow, that would be great, I usually like to finish the campaigns I start. Would the saves be compatible?
Certainly, glad to help. The new version has been uploaded to the 1.10 server.

I'm not sure if they would be 100% compatible, so let me know if you have any issues.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Turuk wrote:This scenario has now been made slightly harder, with better balancing on the hard level.
I felt that the difficult level was just about right... I'll replay it and let you know.
Turuk wrote:Torgrimfur does say at the start of the scenario "The orcs are coming through the western tunnel, quickly now to the east!" which is supposed to cue the player to not go to the west...
Whoops... My bad for not noticing that message! :oops:
Cope wrote:The idea behind the scenario is that it should be a must to kill the saurian oracle.
Nobody said anything against it ;) In Legend of Wesmere, we have a similar scenario where Kalenz and Landar must kill an Orcish king. However, they do so by using the infamous potion made by Crelanu, that makes them invisible (except from Wolves), and increases their defense to 95%. 8)
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:I felt that the difficult level was just about right... I'll replay it and let you know.
Thank you, I always appreciate feedback. :P
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Whoops... My bad for not noticing that message!
No worries, and I can always add a message that triggers if the player moves a unit west: "Not that way, the orcs are through there! Quickly now, to the east!" or something like that just to remind them.
Elvish_Hunter wrote:Nobody said anything against it In Legend of Wesmere, we have a similar scenario where Kalenz and Landar must kill an Orcish king. However, they do so by using the infamous potion made by Crelanu, that makes them invisible (except from Wolves), and increases their defense to 95%.
Something will have to be done to allow Torgrimfur to be able to make it down south reliably so that the player is not consistently relying on luck.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
perseo

Post by perseo »

The last scenario can't be beaten the first time as it's right now.
BTW 3 free recall of level 1 units??? (Or almost level 2, if you tell the player in the scenario before he could focus on top levelling one unit, but nothing is said).
See ya!
Last hour news: I've won the scenario without doing nothing.
You should fix the dialogue theme if someone who's not T kill's the saurian... anyway, I think this scenario must be completily redone... but well, that's just my opinion.
And some more dialogue at the end of the campaign wouldn't disturb anyone xD
and getting hoarse."
Cope

Post by Cope »

perseo wrote:Well, at least the version I'm playing (the one in 1.10 addon server) is written in kinda broken english, and some polishing in the dialogues would be welcome, I'm sure, to make them more fluid (I'm now thinking at the first confrontation with the elves, it seemed quite awkward to me).
I'm in an inspirational block with my own campaing, may I have a try with this? I mean, perhaps the english is going to remain broken (not native speaker, as you can see) but I think I can do some work with the dialogues.
See ya!
Hello, Turuk has rewritten the dialogue in AFL in 1.11. There is a sequel to AFL, named A few more logs in 1.10. If you like you could improve the dialogoue in this campaign. AFML is shorter but in my opinion a better campaign. The language is I guess at the same level since the author is the same (me :oops: )

/Cope
perseo

Post by perseo »

Yeh, actually I tried to play it, but it's broken.
Perhaps you want to take a look to it. At the moment, the main problem is because of the map having a different name, I think, instead of Sacred land (the name you used in the scenario file) is called Unknown land (i think). I fixed it in my computer.
BTW, What's your mother tongue?
Actually, looking at it carefully, you're a calling a map from the other campaign A few logs... not sure if this is the correct way to do it.
After some more deep research, the are scenarios from the previous campaign... what a mess dude ;)
See ya!
and getting hoarse."
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

perseo wrote: The last scenario can't be beaten the first time as it's right now.
BTW 3 free recall of level 1 units??? (Or almost level 2, if you tell the player in the scenario before he could focus on top levelling one unit, but nothing is said).
See ya!
Last hour news: I've won the scenario without doing nothing.
You should fix the dialogue theme if someone who's not T kill's the saurian... anyway, I think this scenario must be completily redone... but well, that's just my opinion.
And some more dialogue at the end of the campaign wouldn't disturb anyone xD
S8 is on my to-do list for sure, I have it about halfway completed at the moment but still need to fine-tune some of the event's (such as the Saurian's death) as well as find a plausible way to help the player run the gauntlet with Torgrimfur. Perhaps adjusted movement until they reach a certain point, after a message from him saying they sprint for all they are worth? I've got some ideas at least.
Cope wrote:Hello, Turuk has rewritten the dialogue in AFL in 1.11. There is a sequel to AFL, named A few more logs in 1.10. If you like you could improve the dialogoue in this campaign. AFML is shorter but in my opinion a better campaign. The language is I guess at the same level since the author is the same (me )
I have uploaded the revised version to 1.10 and 1.11, so people should be able to see it on both now. I can also update AFML as well. Don't feel bad about the dialogue, your campaign concepts are good and you speak English better than if I wrote a campaign in Swedish. :P
perseo wrote:Yeh, actually I tried to play it, but it's broken.
Perhaps you want to take a look to it. At the moment, the main problem is because of the map having a different name, I think, instead of Sacred land (the name you used in the scenario file) is called Unknown land (i think). I fixed it in my computer.
BTW, What's your mother tongue?
Actually, looking at it carefully, you're a calling a map from the other campaign A few logs... not sure if this is the correct way to do it.
After some more deep research, the are scenarios from the previous campaign... what a mess dude
See ya!
I will fix A Few More Logs and put a new copy out there with the right naming conventions. Once it's up I will let you know perseo, and open a new thread for any feedback that might come in on it so the two campaigns don't get intertwined here.

Thanks!
Cope

Post by Cope »

Hello

Perseo: It is not like it is the same maps in AFML like in AFL. When i looked at it now what i can see is that the files for AFL-scenario sacred land is in AFML, for no reason at all, except that i have forgotten to remove it. But from what i know i dont think that should cause a problem.
Yes, my mother tongue is swedish like turuk wrote.

Turuk: Thanks a lot!

Cope
perseo

Post by perseo »

It does cause a problem, coz it calls a map which doesn't exist. Also the level prison is creating problems as well. It's not very recomendable to have dumb files in your campaign, wesnoth can become buggy when reading all this mess.
Fixed deleting this file too.
WTH where you thinking in scenario number 2? Kinda weird.
See ya!
and getting hoarse."
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

perseo wrote:It does cause a problem, coz it calls a map which doesn't exist. Also the level prison is creating problems as well. It's not very recomendable to have dumb files in your campaign, wesnoth can become buggy when reading all this mess.
Fixed deleting this file too.
WTH where you thinking in scenario number 2? Kinda weird.
See ya!
A working copy of AFML has been uploaded to the 1.10 add-on server. Once I've had a chance to do a bit of work on it, I will open up a feedback topic to keep it separate from this this one.
Cope

Post by Cope »

Hello

To me, it is welcome with development of AFL or AFML, if you like.
Turuk, I suggest you add your name in the credits in AFL (perhaps I dont have loaded the last version).
Abour AFML. The ideas you have about scenario 2 perseo seems good and interesting to me. The scenario 1 is not very challenging, i know that. It is more like a prologue like I have written it.

Have a nice day,

Cope
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Nice campaign concept, and I like having a dwarvish scout/pathfinder/explorer hero instead of the usual fighter/steelclad/lord.

I am playing the campaign under 1.10.

A few comments:

1. The campaign icon seems a bit too large compared to the mainline ones. Perhaps a dwarvish scout would look better than the tree?

2. It seems to me that the transparent dwarvish scout portrait would work better than the smaller one with the black background which is currently being used.

3. In the introduction of the first scenario, "clanís" is written where apparently it should be "clan's".

4. In the starting dialogue of the first scenario, Torgrimfur says "furnances" instead of "furnaces".

5. In the starting dialogue of the first scenario, in Gwendior's speech "the Wose" is capitalized, but "dwarves" is not, which seems inconsistent to me.

6. After completing the first scenario, the second scenario couldn't be loaded, apparently because it contains illegal tiles.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Thank you for the feedback Andrettin.
Andrettin wrote:1. The campaign icon seems a bit too large compared to the mainline ones. Perhaps a dwarvish scout would look better than the tree?
Done.
Andrettin wrote:2. It seems to me that the transparent dwarvish scout portrait would work better than the smaller one with the black background which is currently being used.
Also fixed to make it cleaner.
Andrettin wrote:3. In the introduction of the first scenario, "clanís" is written where apparently it should be "clan's".
4. In the starting dialogue of the first scenario, Torgrimfur says "furnances" instead of "furnaces".
5. In the starting dialogue of the first scenario, in Gwendior's speech "the Wose" is capitalized, but "dwarves" is not, which seems inconsistent to me.
All three spelling errors were fixed as well.
Andrettin wrote:6. After completing the first scenario, the second scenario couldn't be loaded, apparently because it contains illegal tiles.
I fixed this in the 1.10 version, I was using an embellishment that was available in 1.11 and had just copied the maps back over without moving it back to being a placed image.

I have updated both the 1.10 and 1.11 versions to reflect the above.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Thanks for the update, Turuk!

I was now able to continue the campaign. The scenarios were quite nice. One comment: In the seventh scenario's dialogue, Jurtu says "particuarly" instead of "particularly". I also missed a bit the dwarvish way of speaking which is used in campaigns such as The Sceptre of Fire (with "yer" instead of "your" and etc.).

EDIT: I finished the campaign. When the last scenario began, there was talk of a saurian oracle which hadn't been mentioned before. It only became clear that the saurian oracle was holding drakes captive after he got killed (I didn't need to do anything, the elven-peasant-dwarven army did it on their own, although they gave me credit). I think that it would also be nice if there were some kind of epilogue. By the way, in the last scenario's dialogue Torgrimfur says "elfs", while (if I understand correctly) the Wesnoth common usage is "elves".