Epical (SciFi Campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Epical (SciFi Campaign)

Post by Heindal »

Epical is a Scifi Campaign that is located in a not too far away future. I leave it up to your fantasy in which country or city the story takes place, or if it takes place in the future of wesnoth or not (its meant to play in the real world). This Campaign and the two factions created for this campaign are not perfect, but I carefully tested it and it is meant to be bugfree. If not send me an email, pn or post an answer.

The storyline is influenced by one of my novel projects ('neostreamer'), I started in 2009. I created a spin off universe in a future of this novel for an interactive radio show and this has also influenced Epical.

The campaign offers:

- different kind of terrains such as streets, industrial ground, modern villages and metalgrounds
- two factions with more than 50 scifi units, some with selfmade portraits (all of them are selfmade, but mostly franks or colored original pictures, the badhackers are however completly selfdrawn)
- 15 different right click abilties for units, you can discover
- 6 playable scenarios
- playtime proably 1 hour (more if you want to test every abilities and advancement paths)
- some weaponspecials

Thanks to:

- the icon drawers of "The War of Terrador", as I used and modified some of their icons
- KNau (http://opengameart.org/content/urban-jungle) for his Urban Jungle Pack - this has been used to create the terrains
- all WML helpers

Have fun.

Kind regards

Heindal
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
TheZ

Re: Epical (SciFi Campaign)

Post by TheZ »

no towns and thus no income makes for a very hard first few scenarios, then you go to an unlimited time with about 190 towns with 100% carry over seems kind of odd to me.

there should be an easy way of recovering energy since your going through the trouble of making it to what i feel is an integral part of the campaign.

the medic (level 2 unit) has no attack, this makes it nigh impossible to level it up.

the bird (level2 unit) levels up into a bird with 2 less movement, and the exact same attack numbers.

your neostreamer unit takes an ability name (and its description) from Ghost in the shell which is Licensed so I would change that. also the effect of the SAC (stand alone complex) really doesn't work on a unit so week. I would change it to make this unit fight 100% better with resistances doubled if no ally unit is close as the splash slow makes you want to toss him in there on the front lines.

the commander's "call satellite strike" ability doesn't work at all

the crossing of the unit's advancement paths seems a little to much have it split once and no choice to go back

all splash and splash slow attacks hit everything around them. for grenades this makes sense but for attacks like the guardians attacks this makes no sense as there should be no reason you attack your allies
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for the feedback, I will change these points as soon as there is time to do so (tomorrow). Hm, got to test this satelite strike ability again. I tested any ability and they all worked. You should however get ten energy each mission and twenty in special missions (satelite strike requires 10 btw).

Edit: I changed the addon according to your suggestions, thank you TheZ.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Uploaded version 1.02 last year. Here the changelog.

- added eaglekind and dragonkind - this should "fix" the issues with the birds advancement path - this way you can decide wether you want to keep your speed (eaglekind) and even increase it or increase your fireresistance by becoming a dragonlike beeing
- the continue macro has been changed not to overtake any gold, so you will always start with the mission gold that was intended
--> so in the breakthrough mission you can not overtake your gold, but on the other hand of course train your creatures and test things out
- added stormgun, bladesoldier and blademaster advancements
- added 4 graphics for the new units
- repaired the issues with the satelite strike, it will now show that it needs 10 energy and give a message if you don't have the energy required
(beside that it was errr "fully operational" :mrgreen:)
- the medic was intended not to have an attack, but I see its hard to level it up so I reduced the exp required to 20 exp. As a frontline fighter with the selfheal ability he should be able to get the exp by defending.
- the neostreamers ability was changed to loner - i thought the "stand alone complex" was something that "Freud" has descriped, as he kind of invented the idea of the "complex" ... the ability however is now less strong (25% damage reduce overall). The idea of this unit is to hinder an entire group of enemy from approaching - a defensive frontline tank unit so to say. The neogod advance will however turn this unit into a perfect leader. Maybe I will add a neoeremit with an increased loner ability.
- reduced the crossing of amla pathes, they are now more strict.
- added strongerform 2 ability for the animal mutants, as the shadow mutant they can now turn into a stronger form (the animal stronger form is maybe a little overpowered :P)
TheZ

Post by TheZ »

your last fight map needs to be longer on the easy mode, you can spam summon the shadow-mutts transform them and take out the opposing leader on turn 1 before he/she can do really anything besides make baseless threats
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

True, I did not think about that. The last map is more or less a bonus where you can tryout and test all the different faction units and amla pathes.
Its a nice feature not a real mission, but I will think about a more suitable end mission.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

Not bad, but a lot of the scenarios are too easy, and for some reason the boss in the second to last scenario heals when my cyborg attacks, making him absurdly hard to kill, and then the campaign ends abruptly after the next scenario
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for your feedback.

True I got to work on that campaign. Especially a german translation! The game might become slightly harder, when the enemies can use abilities such as hack, grenade and satelitestrike. The healing effect is caused by the usage of drain for weaponsspecial definition instead of dummy. I can easily fix that.

I'll have to improve images and add animations for the factions, as well as balancing the units and terrain. I also was thinking about an inventory for the mainhero, but we will see. It will take some time. The last campaign is the final fight, which started in the first scenario. So might think about a proper ending.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Uploaded a new Version 1.10:

- fully animated factions: added attack, standing, movement and defending animations
- explosions added as death animations for almost all mechanical units
- overworked and repaired several images - all units should look slightly cooler
- balancing concerning terrains, units and resistances
- music: extended playlist with several songs
- sounds added
- overworked story
- scenario overwork, the scenarios will now be challenging and the enemy will now recruit random units
(note that you will lose the Prometheus Scenario, when a unit reaches the spot, you are to defend)
- german story translation - made several translations for the story parts
- 4 items can be found (pistols, armors, laptops, medikit)
- enemies will now use special attacks such as emp strikes and satelitestrikes in the final fight
- you are able to unlock more abilities: such as grenade throw, empstrike, healarrow, slowdown, hack mechanical units, satelitestrike and teleport
(These can be used when right clicking on an enemy unit, empty spot or friendly unit and than selecet 'Special Attacks')
- energy will restore in battle scenarios over the time as well as attack points
Heindal

Epical 1.12 for Wesnoth 1.14

Post by Heindal »

Version 1.12 updated for Wesnoth 1.14:

- improved version for 1.14, worked out all the bugs for this wesnoth version
- overworked portraits for syndicate soldier using amazing artwork by dasbilligealien: https://opengameart.org/content/sci-fi-soldier-and-guns
- new portraits for police officer, raiders and dimension
- new scenery and updated maps that add more strategic options
- new police unit detective
- updated terrain
- text corrections and some new dialogues
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

So..on hard this Campaign starts with the scenario 'Epical'. And after finishing that scenario the campaign is over and BfW closes.
It is also possible (and easy) to block the enemy leader from recruiting and to kill him on turn two by moving Wargirl forward, call a Transporter Syndicate, move it to the enemy leader and making it deploy Syndicate Agents.

Additionally, for the pre scenario text: Why display it both in english and in german? There are good reasons for seperate translation files.

(And I only got a silver laurel for finishing the campaign)

On easy:
The Escape:
The syndicate leader got killed by the police because he didn't stay with his soldiers. (Scenario objectives didn't update btw)

Drones:
Scenario objectives didn't update after reaching the contact person.
Attachments
EP-Epical replay.gz
(22.64 KiB) Downloaded 479 times
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for the bugreport. Yeah, I will work on that.

Considering translation: I believe translation is complicated in Wesnoth and does not work for some projects as far as I've seen.
It seemed no fun to learn it and wasn't intuitive. With the lack of knowledge I just did it this way.
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

@Heindal About translations: check this out: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=46366, it might help you. It is my guide about translating for UMC creators/maintainers.
If translations are not working somewhere properly, it might be multiplayer. Though I have no personal experience with it (as I play just singleplayer).
R831

Post by R831 »

Totally awesome!
A bit too easy, perhaps, at the ending:
Spoiler:
And about cruisers... perhaps their weapon is not devastative enough for a spaceship, compared to a humanoid unit. Could you imagine, for example Mig 23, armed with only Ak-74, or something like that?
Absolutely not! And also i think for a balance they should be more expensive, and has additional maintenance cost.
Still, enjoyed.
Thank you very much!
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks R831. I'm glad you liked it. Yeah balancing the units is still an issue.
In testing I had the feeling like some maps were to hard and I already made them easier in many ways.

The couriers and ninjas however are intended to take the villages quickly, especially in the third mission.
Not using some will put you in some disadvantage.

If you like you can test the units in multiplayer. I made an Era called "UR Epic Era", which even contains the 'police' as a standalone faction. I even made two or three cyberpunk maps, but never published them. I will however need to overwork these factions and add something like a "stone scissors paper lizard spock" principle, so that every unit has a counter. So far it works, if you know what counters what, but I need to make it clearer.

The mechanical units such as tank need more hitpoints, more damage and a higher resistance, while being fragile to hacking (arcane) and electro attacks (cold). The cruiser can be updated with a stronger blast. But the ability to launch fighters (the did have that ability or? :p) is the thing that's important.