Heindal's Mini Games: Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Re: Heindal's Mini Games: Dungeons of Wesnoth

Post by Heindal »

Uploaded a new version as well as a multiplayer version. I also decided to keep the name "dungeons of wesnoth" for now. There was old addon with that name, but it hasn't been supported for a long time.

Our lich receives some company. You will now be able to play as paladin, which features new buildingoptions as well as new units, new strategies and new spells. The buildings have been realized as terrain and thus your enemies can destroy your dungeon rooms, leaving behind scatters. I tried to keep the Story funny, I'm not 100% sure if the sense of humour works for everyone. I did not mean to insult anyone, just wanted add annother funny little story. Have fun.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
manurong

Re: Heindal's Mini Games: Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth

Post by manurong »

Hi Heindal,
Thanks for this add-on, it's pretty fun.
Here are some comments though:
- on the lich map, I dig so the good guys' route became much shorter; it also created a bottleneck, making the defense of the castle much easier. (Maybe you should add some undigable walls)
- after that my lich went right below the good guy's castle and could summon creatures right next to the enemy hero (it might be good to prevent the summoning in the fog).

- on the paladin scenario, the beginning was a bit challenging (in particular on my first try, when I had only peasants to oppose ghosts) but after a few ghosts the computer stopped sending me anything for a while and I could seize the bottleneck quietly. Then the computer started attacking again (with rats mainly) but at that time I had a huge force and defending a bottleneck against low level creatures was no problem.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for your feedback manurong and thanks for playing.

Yeah, I used the same strategy against the first enemy. On the other hand this can also be a very dangerous strategy as your enemy transforms into a stronger version and has better troops. Maybe I should just change the map a bit. Undigable walls are easy, as I can just use annother kind of wall.

The paladin thingy is odd. The beginning should be challenging, that was intended and forces you to deploy more powerful troops soon. When the blockdemon is defeated the lich should receive additional gold to recruit a wave of deadly creature, less likely rats. Proably the ai decides to take rats because of the cheap price, I will replace that with randomly choosen recruitment, which should be more challenging than.

However if you like you/we can play a round wildpeasantvsdevouringcorpses (tm :P), its the multiplayer version of dungeonmasters.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
manurong

Post by manurong »

Thanks for the offer but unfortunately my ISP isn't reliable enough to play...

The lich strategy isn't that dangerous since I summoned my creatures behind the wall, it was actually pretty risk-free.
As for the paladin thing, maybe you misunderstood me: on my first TRY (and fail) I had only peasants to oppose ghosts but on my second try I had time to get some mages. And maybe there wasn't only rats (though I'm sure there were) but since I had plenty of resources by then it didn't make that much difference.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

This addon has been ported to 1.12. There is still the name issue, but I haven't changed that yet.
The addon is still available under the name "Dungeons of Wesnoth".

The Multiplayer Version has been ported too, I've just had to fix some bugs concerning graphics and space of lich.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

(I sure wonder if Heindal, or any other developer for that matter, will read this after so many years)

This is a real fun add-on! Kudos! Too bad it has only two levels ("scenarios" in Wesnoth-Speak). I'd have loved for there to be more scenarios and all of them on the lich's side.

Does anyone know how this CAMPAIGN could be converted into an ERA, so one could play it with other maps, such as random maps?
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thank you for your nice words. Yes I'd love continue developing this campaign, too. And the story for this is already in my head for years now, but not on "paper". But at the moment I'm out of time, as I'm currently developing a rpg maker project I'm afraid. Maybe at the end of the year, when I have plenty of vacation. You can look into "wild peasants vs devouring corpses". This is a multiplayer version of this add-on.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Heindal wrote:Thank you for your nice words. Yes I'd love continue developing this campaign, too. And the story for this is already in my head for years now, but not on "paper". But at the moment I'm out of time, as I'm currently developing a rpg maker project I'm afraid. Maybe at the end of the year, when I have plenty of vacation. You can look into "wild peasants vs devouring corpses". This is a multiplayer version of this add-on.
Oh, cool! You got the message. Neat! :-)

I did try the "wild peasants vs devouring corpses" multiplayer add-on. I tried it in a local game against the AI, the way one can with eras, but it didn't really work. The opponent just sat there, not even doing the usual things the AI does (like recruiting troupes and sending them out). Real multiplayer games are not for me. I simply don't have enough time for those in my hectic life.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Usually the ai should recruit troops, not building dungeons parts I'm afraid (I've coded that on one weekend and did not have the time to do more).
First it should sent zombies, than based on time it should increase it's attacks wave by wave. I'm quite sure that people play it together with friends, but feedback is almost not existing for this add-on. I admit it was coded in a rush.

A new version of should receive:

- a new chapter for both paladin and lich
- random dungeons with a random spawned enemy
- increased prices for research, as research should be taken over to the next levels
- recreate walls ability for lich
- build fortifications for paladin
- digger dwarf for paladin
- maybe a third faction (war chief or something like that)
- clean variable separation

This will take several days of free time to code.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Heindal wrote:Usually the ai should recruit troops...
Well, I played the lich side (of course;-) when I tried the multiplayer addon, and the hero opponent never recruited anything. Thus it did not work out as an alternative to an era.

Would you mind, Heindal, if I tried my hand at adding levels ("scenarios") to my Dungeons of Wesnoth installation, or even tried the probably harder process of making an era out of it? :-)

(just for my own use, of course, not to publish it without your permission)
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Feel free to do so, just credit me.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Heindal wrote:Feel free to do so, just credit me.
Cool! I did. I made 11 scenarios. I play-tested them, too. Lots of fun. After a whole bunch of add-ons I tried before, yours was the best! :-)

I ended up having to make some small changes to the helpmenu.cfg and utils.cfg file (and tiny ones to traps.cfg), though...
* some for cosmetic fixes (appropriate icons in the menu)
* one bug fix (game would crash when trying to summon critters that had been misnamed)
* getting all kills to increase the kills count (in the orig very few counted)
* and summoning-changes to better differentiate the non-lich side from the lich side (on the lich side I replaced the aqueous summons with a Blood Bat) and to remove some menu-overfilling critters that had no use or don't actually exist (at least in my version of Wesnoth: 1.10).

All my 11 scenarios are for the lich side of the campaign. I modified the start script of the 1st scenario to allow players to skip ahead to the next lich scenario (as they may have played your scenarios already) or play your original as a "tutorial". I parked your non-lich scenario in a subdirectory. As it stands, there is no option to get into it.

If you'd like me to upload this to the server (giving you credit, of course), I guess I'd have to do so under a new campaign name since I (A) am unsure if scenarios can be uploaded independently as a package and (B) because of the small changes I had to make to the campaign to make the game play work properly (like the kills count, for instance, since a sufficient kills count is important for my scenarios to work properly).

Alternatively, perhaps I could send you the modified campaign for you to cannibalize what you can use for your own future update of Dungeons of Wesnoth.
Last edited by Cugel on January 1st, 2021, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Cool, 11 scenarios! Holy Speedy Gonzales! Good job, I hope you enjoyed making them. Just publish them as an own campaign or a spin-off.

Unfortunately I don't know if I have time to check them, even so I already had a funny campaign in my own mind, I'm not quite sure I will ever find the motivation to pull it off. Maybe I will find some time during the holidays.
anon123

Post by anon123 »

Hey, so the summon commands for the Orcish Grunt and Troll whelp aren't working. I think it's because you misnamed the unit within the coding. It says error unknown unit type Orc Warrior and unknown unit type Troll welp so can you please fix it
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Hm, strange indeed. Probably because I made this add-on in a hurry.

I uploaded a new version with the corrections:

- Orcish Warrior and Troll Whelp can now be summoned
- 2 new campaign levels (he he he, you will see what I mean)
- angel images have been restored and now angels have a portrait
- changed all unit descriptions in a funny way
- fixed some smaller bugs and typos

Remember, this is a parody, nothing of this i meant to hurt or offend anybody, but bring a smile to your face and maybe even help you to think out of the box. Cheerio.