Heindal's Mini Games: Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Heindal

Heindal's Mini Games: Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth

Post by Heindal »

Halloween and weekend are near and maybe you are interested in a little parody mini game.

I created a concept for a dungeon defence game, that allows you to build different rooms, research new troops, spells, set traps and dig through the cavewalls, creating more space or finding secrets left by an old master. 'Dungeon of Wesnoth' is a working title, I think as it is a very obvious title, I might change it just in case somebody has used this title already.

All additional options such as spells, summoning and digging through caves can be accessed by right clicking. Research can be done by rightclicking on your hero unit. You will have to build some buildings in order to unlock additional research, summons or buildings. Traps are just shown, when you have the necessary ressources to set them. I will use this thread for all minigames, I already have the idea for an real time mini game within wesnoth - we will see.

The story has been slightly inspired by Devil's Flute and the idea for this came when playing Cities of the Frontier.
So have fun playing and post comments and bugs here.

Edit: as there is annother add on with the name Dungeons of Wesnoth, I just changed the title to Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth - there shouldn't be a title like this - I searched for that. "Dungeons of Wesnoth" is a dungeon crawl project that can be found under: http://home.gna.org/dungeon/index.html .
Last edited by Heindal on November 17th, 2012, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
alluton

Re: Heindal's Mini Games: Dungeon of Wesnoth

Post by alluton »

Perhaps your buildings should be destroyed if enemy units move into same hex?
Btw when you summon on hex where is building, the image of the building disappears. Not sure wheter it still provides income or no.
Spoiler:
It gets kinda easy whit those walking corpses already. Maeby enemy income and recruit list could upgrade over time?
Was pretty nice one to play, just kinda fast.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks alluton for the soon reply and of course for playing. Its a minigame, but it can be extended with more dungeons and more buildings.
The images disappear, when summoning a unit on a building, but the building is still there generating income. I can easily fix this.

I thought about destroyable buildings too, but I have to find a way to check the image on that square or make a terrain for each building. Thus far I really took a fast approach when making this game, as there are just two forms of terrains - the terrain where a building can be placed and a terrain where a building is set.

As far as I see from your screen, you haven't defeated the leader? Try to defeat him for a little surprise and maybe you will see its not that easy (or maybe you defeated his secret second form with the army :whistle: . Try not to defeat him with a spell!). Also there are two buildings and a demon unit that waits to be unlocked.

The drawback of the undeads however is that you have to build a lot of labs - if your force reaches 0 all your creatures 'should' collaps - maybe the enemy will get a spell to do that in a future version. Thats where corrupt units and heavy units come in. You can discover some secrets within the dungeon as well. One additional building is hidden somewhere.

Thanks for playing.
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

In the starting dialouge, the Lich refers to Kunga as Prunga once. Is that intended?

EDIT: and flunga. I'm starting to think this is a running gag...
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Btw.

rank=1
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

I will fix the ranks for all my campaigns.

@TheScribe: And yes, this is a running gag. I will add 'Plinga' one day. I'm still thinking to add more jokes and references to films and computergames.
I will upload version 0.11 with rank changes and taking away the haloanimation for summons.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

@TheScribe: And yes, this is a running gag. I will add 'Plinga' one day. I'm still thinking to add more jokes and references to films and computergames.
:mrgreen:

I just finished. I would upload a replay, but replays of this crash Wesnoth with Out of Sync errors. :(
Spoiler:
I enjoyed it and am eagerly awaiting any other minigames you produce. :D
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
alluton

Post by alluton »

Think my save games have same thing. They are all invalid. My wesnoth version is 1.10.2
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

Thanks for reporting. I fixed and tested it. I could load all my saved games, even after the transformation.

Uploaded 0.11

- fixed the heavy units path
- cost changes due to better playability (reduced costs for some of the important production upgrades)
- rank is now fixed
- undeads now indeed collaps when the force goes under 0
- summons no longer produce an aura, but therefore don't erase buildingpictures
- additional surprises (bwwwaahahaahha)
- save games problem should be fixed (I had two units with the same id)
- most and important - added 'Plinga'
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

- most and important - added 'Plinga'
Yes!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Maybe you should consider making Flunga loyal. He says he's loyal and everything, yet when he levels he costs you one gold upkeep. Stupid Plinga... :)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I tried to play your scenario. While doing this, I found some nasty bugs that suggested me to drop it for now and wait for your bugfixes.
First, and most important: when you select the research option "More space for Troops", a variable with a strange name is set:

Code: Select all

Upgrade Space:More Space for Troops
Spaces and colons are not allowed in variable names, and this corrupts savegames. Apparently, this happens also for all the other upgrades that involve structure efficiency (upgrade mining, upgrade labs, etc.).
I also managed to allow myself summoning Orcs and Trolls. But when I attempt to do so, a Lua error informs me that either the "Troll Welp" or the "Orc Warrior" unit types do not exist.
Related to this there is this error:

Code: Select all

error display: could not open image 'units/trolls/welp.png'
TheScribe wrote:Maybe you should consider making Flunga loyal.
I second that motion. Conga should be loyal. :mrgreen: That will be unlikely to alter the scenario balance, given that the summoned units are already loyal.
Another thing that I'd find nice to have, will be another right-click menu that allows me to know in any moment how many structures I built (how many Mines, Farms, if I have a Pit, and so on). In fact, being able to recall the start of turn message (or something similar) in any moment will be very useful.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
RLennon

Post by RLennon »

Please allow me one NOOB question. I am really enjoying this game (just found it last week, and wishing I had found it years ago). Where on the website am I able to download this campaign (and other campaigns for that matter)? Thanks!

Rob Lennon
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

RLennon wrote:Please allow me one NOOB question. I am really enjoying this game (just found it last week, and wishing I had found it years ago). Where on the website am I able to download this campaign (and other campaigns for that matter)? Thanks!

Rob Lennon
You download it in-game. Run Wesnoth, on the right there should be a button that says 'add-ons'. Press it, then press the connect button. Then, search the name of the addon you want. Then press the download button. :)

@Heindal

Why are summoned units loyal?
RLennon

Post by RLennon »

TheScribe wrote:
RLennon wrote:Please allow me one NOOB question. I am really enjoying this game (just found it last week, and wishing I had found it years ago). Where on the website am I able to download this campaign (and other campaigns for that matter)? Thanks!

Rob Lennon
You download it in-game. Run Wesnoth, on the right there should be a button that says 'add-ons'. Press it, then press the connect button. Then, search the name of the addon you want. Then press the download button. :)
quote]

Rob <----Open palm smack to the forehead

Ugh! Thanks, sorry for having a 'moment' there, LOL!
Heindal

Post by Heindal »

@Rob: Thanks for your post Rob and of course for playing and enjoying(!) :wink:.

There are a lot of fine campaigns for wesnoth and you should definetly try "devils flute", "swamplings", "Return to Noelren 0.7.2", "westband" (multiplayer dungeon crawl), "bad moon" and "invasion of the unknown", "cities of the frontier" and last but not least "legends of the invincibles". I also like "Quest of Wesnoth" and "Aeranor: Book I" but these add-ons are still under construction. There are also some nice and sometimes spectacular multiplayer campaigns.

I don't want to mention my own campaigns, but if you like you can find them in my signature.

@TheScribe

Thanks again for helping out. About your question: Summoned units are indeed loyal, while corrupt units are not loyal units - that was intended. Therefore undeads now have this little tiny drawback of collapsing and heavy units such as the troll have constant demand of iron - maybe I will switch that to meat - even though thats stupid regarding dungeon defences.

The real problem why undeads are still overpowered are the plaque specials. With these specials you can create new undeads which does not need to be supplied with you force and give fore back when dieing. I don't have an idea how to find out creatures that have been created by plaque.

@all

However I saw that stupid grammar mistake in my intro :oops:. Got to fix that, maybe adding the cartoon of the lich on the lich college (he was born as a lich, not like those muggleborn that just study necromany and than die).

I'm planning to make that a multiplayer campaign (in a faraway future). I'm not quite sure it there will be a side for the villagers, but it would be a good test for the future work on our mmorpg.