The Unstoppable Legion is back!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chris NS

Re: The Unstoppable Legion is back!

Post by Chris NS »

Okay everybody. To commemorate the 64th anniversary of the untimely death of Buddy Holly, here is the lastest release of The Unstoppable Legion, now at version 0.8.5, or Chapters 1-2½. This features two new scenarios (or three if you count the two forks seperately).

This time round, I haven't tinkered much with the existing scenarios. There aren't going to be any more bits were someone shouts "NOOOOO!" but I do have a cliffhanger coming up. Ah, but is the cliffhanger in this release. You'll have to play to find out. (Or you can just look at the WML, but that would be cheating, wouldn't it?)

Unfortuantely, due to time pressures, all references to Buddy Holly had to be omitted from this release.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

This is a nice campaign, I remember playing it eons ago too bad it was never completed. I think the last scenario
I played was the orc battle after the last stand. This time I replayed it(on hard as last time) pretty fast up till
Mines of Alsok,
where I did not remember the strategy I had used; From a normal wesnoth strategy point of view my gut instinct would be
"hold the pinchpoint, massacre Zaragorn's army and level up your units there while letting undead, bandits and demons
annihilate
each other", but it does not work cause you run out of time. So there probably should be a hint to that effect "we got to
hurry and let's hope Zaragorn's army goes for the bandits, undead or demons", since the right strategy in this case only
works because Zaragorn's army does not follow-otherwise it is extremely
bad wesnoth strategy to spread your tiny army and leave it open to attack by 4 sides.
Next, I killed both Zaragorn leaders in Pride and Prejudice, and was hence surprised to see the dark rider leader Bhagest
show up in the Painful betrayal
and last stand when I killed him again, hopefully for good(there is no shorage of bad guys in this campaign). So this probably should be fixed.

So I'll be awaiting the concluding scenaria. Any timeframe to check back?
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

In Pride and Prejudice, you win if you kill the first leader (Bhagest) before the second leader shows up. This happens even if you don't send a unit to the temple. Not sure if this is intentional, since occasionally the enemy leader will wander out and can get killed.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

It probably should not be. I have a vague recollection of winning when you beat the second leader, which rhymes with the 'escape' view. I like to have more fun killing bad guys, so killing both is better; it's just an issue of not staying dead that bothers me
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

btw, the silent siege is nice, but kind of a chancy one. SUre, you silently encircle the village and then charge and you have to break through in 2 -3 turns tops and kill the leader, before the damn cultists and other can escape. This can be chancy, since you do not have the gold to leave troops behind to pick up escaping cultists; you need them all for the charge in order to break through fast; it's also fortunate that the bad guys go for the villagers first
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Hi,

I think I'm going to need to fundamentally rework Prejudice and Pride. In principle, it is supposed to be balanced so that Bhargeest's forces are impossible to defeat whilst still giving sufficient time to escape north before they overwhelm the whole area.

Think I may have to do that by changing to map completely, to make Bhargeest more powerful but more distant. Might try re-working that as soon as I've completed Chapter 3.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

I'd say finish the campaign first, then rework what you need. How many more scenaria are there?
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Eight to go, excluding narrative scenarios.

Don't worry, it's not going to be another seven scenarios of "Are we there yet"?
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Great, the more, the better-though that's not the prevailing view. After all, Victor has to write some chapters too in the book
The_Black_Sword

Post by The_Black_Sword »

Hi, I played this before it went on hiatus and really enjoyed it. Playing through again now.
I took the ship route and during the scenario The Forgotten Front I levelled Viktor up from the Mounted Noble. I then got an error message:

"Could not find the unit being advanced to: Noble Dismounted".
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

I have absolutely no idea why it's done that.

Try it again, see if it does the same thing. If it does, send me a replay / save-file and I'll try to work out what's going on.
The Black Sword

Post by The Black Sword »

I went back and levelled him at the end of a Test of Valour instead since I still had the autosave.

Anyway, I threw together a quick test with debug mode. Just get Viktor to kill the drake here and the error pops up for me.
Attachments
Test.gz
(39.22 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Okay. I've had a look at the code and I've spotted at least one issue. Not sure if this is going to solve your problem, but it's a tweak to the Dismounted Noble file.

The update will go in the next upload, but here's the individual file attached if you want to correct it. You'll need to go back the The King's Council in order for this patch to work - if it works. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll have another look.

In the meantime, I've uploaded a new version (two days ago), containing one new scenario. That's the last of the ported scenarios, so the rest need to be written from scratch. And the next one's a mega-scenario, so it might be sometime. But it'll be worth it for the cliffhanger.
Attachments
Noble_Dismounted.zip
Patch - will need to unzip.
(846 Bytes) Downloaded 260 times
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Ladies and Gentlemen, introduced The Unstoppable Legion version 0.8.7, featuring the long-awaited cliffhanger scenaio. Sorry this has taken so long to do. Play through this sceanrio and you'll understand why.

As this has now reach a nice break point, I now plan to go through the campaign and do a general tidy-up and rebalance the problematic areas. But I'm getting quite busy in my life outside Wesnoth now, so you may be waiting some time for the next update.
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

i have to give you a BIG thx for updating it :)

back then when i played it i found the campaign awesome but wasnt aware of possibility to report bugs

i will play this campaign for next time so i can help you to clean every bug i find

i am very happy that this campaign is once back again ^_^

EDIT: first scenario, when i get first attcked from a dark fighter
the description contains a typo:"...have a strong meelee attack but...."

also i am playing the campaign in easy but the first scenario is way to easy...
zaragorn forces have 30gold while outlaws have 175gold (maybe typo and you meant 300gold?)

next thing: the image of "Great Druid(mounted)" carries both a sword and a staff

EDIT 2: the advancement tree of "Dark Cultist" is weird
there are two lines of advancements parallel (although one cost lesser) but both "Dark Headhunter" advance to the "Soulhunter" that costs more and the "Dark Marauder" (which still exists and advances to "Soul Hunter") that costs lesser seems to missing a image in unit description