The Unstoppable Legion is back!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chris NS

The Unstoppable Legion is back!

Post by Chris NS »

Hi everyone,

This message won't make sense to anyone who's not been hanging around on the forum for year and years, because I contributed a campaign years ago. Wesnoth 1.4, in fact. Anyone remember back that far? ... Anyone? Oh.

Anyway, the good news is that The Unstoppable Legion is back! Long story, but this is partly down to a change in career and I need to learn about programming again. I decided a long time ago that, unlike films, stories in computer games need to follow as many cliches as possible. So this campaign I promise includes a relctant hero, a megalomanic bad guy hell-bent on taking over the world, a wise mentor, and half-way through somebody shouts "Nooooooooooo!"

This is chapter 1. The full game will have four chapters, although I only got round to writing three the first time round. I'm not making any promises on when this will be done because I'm still very busy with other things. But this should get you started.

Please use this thread to report any bugs, balance issues or spelling/punctuation/grammar mistakes. I expect there to be a lot.
Last edited by Chris NS on October 12th, 2012, 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adamant14

Re: The Unstoppable Legion is back!

Post by Adamant14 »

I played your first scenario, and I like it very much. :)
A great first scenario.
Nothing to complain about.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Max

Post by Max »

i've played this campaign before. nice to have it back.
just started and have to say i like it.

the ally leader took quite some risk, there was even a (small) chance he could have died before i got back with my troops.
referring to loyal units as "characters" sounds strange.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Scenario 5a:
For some reason Deuterus wont mount.

The 'Dwarvish Prince' advances to 'Dwarvish Battle Prince', but those unit is defined nowhere.
stderr wrote: 20121011 20:58:19 warning unit: unknown unit in advances_to list of type Dark Rider: Dark Slayer
20121011 20:58:39 warning unit: unknown unit in advances_to list of type Dwarvish Prince: Dwarvish Battle Prince
20121011 20:58:56 error display: could not open image 'halo/ice-halo2.png'
20121011 20:58:56 error display: could not open image 'halo/ice-halo3.png'
20121011 20:58:56 error display: could not open image 'halo/ice-halo1.png'
20121011 20:59:44 error ai/actions: Return value of AI ACTION was not checked. This may cause bugs!
20121011 20:59:45 warning unit: Unknown attribute 'get_hit_sound' discarded.
20121011 21:00:21 warning unit: unknown unit in advances_to list of type Dwarvish Prince: Dwarvish Battle Prince
20121011 21:03:02 error ai/actions: Return value of AI ACTION was not checked. This may cause bugs!
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

You are right. I have indeed forgotten to include the Dwarvish Battle Prince. I'm just surprised someone's managed to level him up so quickly.

Not so sure about why Deuterus isn't changing to a mounted unit. That will be a tough error to reproduce and without that I'll have trouble fixing this. If anyone else has this error can they report this, along with anything unusual they might have been doing (and possibly OS, just in case that's the issue).

Adding the Battle Prince and uploading this update.
Jim Goodridge

Post by Jim Goodridge »

I have played through and quite enjoyed it, but the new update won't load. The error message is:

Macro/file 'AMLA_TOUGH' is missing at ~add-ons/The_Unstoppable_Legion/units/Dwarvish_Battle_Prince.cfg:48 Included from ~add-ons/The_Unstoppable_Legion/_Main.cfg:42

Best Regards
Jim
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Ah, I know what that is. 0.8b uploaded. Should work now.
Jim Goodridge

Post by Jim Goodridge »

0.8b fixed the problem, thank you. This game has the right feel to it, I can't wait for the part where the "oh Nooooooo" happens.

Best Regards
Jim
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Version 0.8.1 is now on the server. This opens up the second path from the throne room scene.

I will advise you, however, that you won't find the the "Noooooooooo!" scene in the new scenario.
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Version 0.8.2 uploaded, now with third branch from throne room (plus a minor tweak to The Dwarf and the Lich).
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

*bump*

New version uploaded. Now nine playable scenarios.

Please note there is a known issue with unit advancements here. I am aware of this and intend to fix this next.
swirly

Post by swirly »

Superb campaign as far. I've played it and it's really well crafted, playable, and entertaining. Very "Lord of the ring" mood.

I would gladly translate to french (I will look how this can be done)

Keep on the good work. I'm waiting impatiently for the end of the campaign !
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

To celebrate the world not ending today, I bring you version 0.8.4 of The Unstoppable Legion, with two new scenarios ported over from the old version. This brings is up to 11 playable scenaios, plus 2 narrative ones.

Also in this edition I've rebalanced some of the scenarios, in particular The Mines of Alsok and Prejudice and Pride, which, on reflection, I decided were too hard. I've also fixed a number of issues with unit advances not working properly.

But best of all - we finally have the scenario where someone shouts "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

One other techincal note: there was a bug in the last scenario of version 0.8.3 concerning gold carryover. If you load a saved game into "A Painful Betrayal" you'll get the wrong gold carryover. If you want to fix your savefile, you can halve the amount of gold carried over and set it to add to, not replace, the starting gold in the next scenario. If you don't know what that is, it's probably easier to do the "Prejudice and Pride" scenario again.

Enjoy!
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I think that in the 8th scenario "The Calm before the Storm", Viktor's recruit list should have UL_Horseman instead of the mainline Horseman.

Overall, looking pretty interesting, though I await the rest of the scenarios, not having played this before.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Well spotted. This has been corrected, and will be in the next upload.

Swirly, thanks for the offer of the French translation. As soon as I've got the old scenarios ported I'll look at getting this into Wescamp, or whatever it is we to for translations nowadays.