Guide to UMC campaigns / eras

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkyOne

Re: Guide to UMC campaigns

Post by SkyOne »

taptap wrote:There are 16 entries now, but I have only played (and finished) 1-2 other campaigns. So when other players don't contribute, the page will more or less stay in the current state (which is only modestly useful).
Good, good. Thank you so much. ^_^
Each campaign on the list currently includes much more information than I expected. I really appreciate that you use the status keys. I think everyone is now able to add more campaigns on the list by following the way you made.

Unfortunately, I can only add one more campaign on the list currently because I played Bad Moon Rising, Love to Death, etc... when they were on BfW 1.4. Hopefully, players and creators will put more campaigns on the list soon.

P.S.
Spoiler:
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I'll put another couple of campaigns up before the end of the week(if that's alright taptap). I've played almost every campaign on the server, but I'm working on my campaign at the moment, so updates from me may come slowly. I plan to do a walkthrough for a couple of the campaigns perhaps next month.
Spoiler:
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Ooh, nice little project, I'll be in this and add in the IE campaigns that I 'maintain'.
However, a little bugbear of mine, but would people mind if we reordered the list so that the alphabetical ignores 'The'? I'm happy to do the moving around.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
taptap

Post by taptap »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Ooh, nice little project, I'll be in this and add in the IE campaigns that I 'maintain'.
However, a little bugbear of mine, but would people mind if we reordered the list so that the alphabetical ignores 'The'? I'm happy to do the moving around.
Please do move it around accordingly. And you will find some IE campaigns are there already - those where I managed to finish (Up from Slavery) or at least play a significant part of it (Epic of Vaniyera).
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Question about the Wesnoth Units Database.

Why are some links of this page empty, even if there are custom units in the Add-Ons?

Example: 'Legend of the Invincibles' or 'Return to Ruins'
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Adamant14 wrote:Question about the Wesnoth Units Database.

Why are some links of this page empty, even if there are custom units in the Add-Ons?

Example: 'Legend of the Invincibles' or 'Return to Ruins'
Probably because of errors when reading the files, like the "error log" links on that page indicate.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Looking at that list, it seems that most (if not all) the campaigns that are dependent of eras get wml errors because the script can't find the dependencies. It's possible that this might be fixed by removing all the errors in the era, but I suspect that it just isn't set up to deal with dependencies.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Looking at that list, it seems that most (if not all) the campaigns that are dependent of eras get wml errors because the script can't find the dependencies. It's possible that this might be fixed by removing all the errors in the era, but I suspect that it just isn't set up to deal with dependencies.
Return to Ruins for example depends on no Era.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Guys, I have just noticed Court Kromire was listed as an add-on on 1.10 server. I was really surprised because I thought all the Myth and relate campaign maintainers have all gone long ago; and just now I checked it I did not find this campaign. What is wrong with that add-on list there?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Oh sure, I wasn't saying that all the errors are due to this, just mentioning that it's an issue with that list.
And as to Kromire, I believe that it's recently been ported to 1.10, and that Velensk was looking for a maintainer.
taptap

Post by taptap »

custom units)

I don't think we have to worry too much about broken unit tree pages for the guide other than not creating a link to it. Anyway, I believe giving the era/faction a campaign is usually enough and a full spoiler unit list for each campaign isn't essential (though sometimes where it works and has meaningful entries an useful addition). The problem with the unit tree is old and seems to be very low priority.

count kromire)

Of course mistakes can happen, but the best way to handle them is probably to check first and then silently correct. Axalaraflame didn't do the checking part seriously - it is on the 1.10 add on server (i.e. http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.9/ !! - or check from the game itself), "Count Kromire" by Velensk (uploaded by Dwarven_Void) w/ Dwarven_Void stating explicitly that he doesn't want to become maintainer on the forum.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

taptap wrote:custom units)
The problem with the unit tree is old and seems to be very low priority.
Old?

And what causes the problem?

Is there any thread about it?

Does anybody work to fix this?

Of course its not minor priority, but for some Add-ons with many custom units a interesting feature.
For Add-Ons with only default units of course complete unattractive.

EDIT:

Right now I checked the links again, and noticed that some of them no longer work.
A Story of the Northlands; A Vision Blinded; Besieged Druids; Forgotten Kingdom; The Library of Kratemaqht

All those links worked a few days ago.

What is different now?
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

As a UMC maintainer, I'm really enjoying adamant's comments about each of the campaigns on the page. I feel bad about spruiking my own stuff (well, Turin's), but I think it'd be great if we all made an effort to play at least some of the campaigns on the page and left our impressions of them, as people's likes/dislikes of campaigns give people a better idea about them than just descriptions.
Besides, gives me an excuse to play a couple of these that I've been meaning to give a go instead of just endlessly hanging out in the Imperial Era.
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

Try Era of Magic, three races are well balanced (equally strong with each other) in my opinion. If there were any other eras worthy to give a try, I would say Myth. But The balance of Myth is rather kind of a terrible job that I would not make much positive compliments on it.

Besides, Frost Elves must be the strongest race in Imperial. Plz balance other races before this era could be worthy for 1v1. :)
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Oh, yeah. IE is not very balanced, we've mostly focused on providing units for campaign. There used to be a balanced and an experimental version, but as I understand it it was too difficult to maintain both. As it if, if you want to play the IE multiplayer, it's moderately respectable if you don't use the Arendians (who are too weak) or the Issaelf (who are too good). That said, I think the campaigns, particularly EoV and FoS, are very playable.
Well, they were playable to suck me back into Wesnoth after years and take over working on them, anyway, that must mean something.

I'm going to try "Forward They Cried" next, based on the review on the page, looks like fun.