The Stolen Sword (Drake Campaign for Beginners)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

vicente

The Stolen Sword (Drake Campaign for Beginners)

Post by vicente »

Hi all. I just uploaded my first campaign, "the Stolen Sword". I would like to make it a tutorial for playing drakes. The campaign is set at easy or intermediate level. There is no trap or "tomato surprise" in the campaign. (I hate "tomato surprise"). In cases where enemy reinforcement arrives in the middle of a scenario, they should be far away from the battlefield.

Please report bugs suggestions here. Since I am not a native speaker, spell checks are welcome as well.

There are 9 scenario so far, and I do not plan to add any more. The player will have a chance to play against all other races in mainline (including drakes as well). From scenario 5, the player will also have access to saurians. At the last scenario, the player will control mermen as well (I find it is painful to watch the ally committing suicide under the control of ai).
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Timeline of the story.
The story happens at 636YW, 10 years after "Dead Water".
Spoiler:
Superdark33

Re: The Stolen Sword (Drake Campaign for Beginners)

Post by Superdark33 »

By what do you mean "saurians behaving badly"?
I came from the playground!
vicente

Post by vicente »

Superdark33 wrote:By what do you mean "saurians behaving badly"?
The loyalty of the saurians are doubtful. The augur will try to steal things from you if not checked.
Spoiler:
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

Hi,

Played the first few scenarios of the campaign. In principle, I think it would be good to have beginner campaigns for all the different races to get used to these tactics. At the moment, I believe only the Tutorial, An Elvish Incursion and The South Guard make serious attempts to do this.

However, I'm not sure the current format works as a training campaign as such. I can see the reason for having one battle against each of the other factions, but I'd have thought the best apporach would be to introduce the drakes one unit type at a time. Maybe one scenrio with just fighters (to start off with the mobility/encircling tactic), then introduce clashers (so you have mixed mobile units and tank units), and burners and gliders later. I'm not too familiar with drake tactics, so someone feel free to correct me if I'm talking rubbish with the tactics.

I'd persist with the tutorial approach though. I'd say that's a good gap in the market if you have hopes of going mainline.
Marche

Post by Marche »

I like the idea, but what Chris says also seems fitting. I haven't encountered any difficulties yet on my own (easy mode, but never used Drakes much before).

I'd like to suggest a change to scenario 3; when I played it, the Naga leader went north to the open village, but that put him in trapping range of one of my Burners and Swift, and I ended the scenario on turn 3 with approximately a lot of gold in return. In fact, if I did this again, I wouldn't even recruit more than two or three units, just to wall off the other approaching Naga warriors to give me a turn to finish the leader. I get the feeling this goes against what you'd planned as the goal, but if it didn't and this is just the shortcut, cool.
Shut up! I'm not tough; I'm not strong!

You shouldn't hold back so much. Always thinking with your head--denying what you want!