The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Besieged Druids campaign

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Would increasing the carryover percentage also work? Just out of curiosity mainly.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

There seems to be a bug where shamans with a fireball attack sometimes don't get mage as a possible advancement option when they level up, but I'm not sure how to reproduce it. Does anyone have any information about this bug that might help me pinpoint it? Alternatively, taking a look at the code (it's the first event in units/events/initiate_levelling.cfg) and looking for obvious logic errors may also be helpful. (I've figured out that all the other events in that file aren't guaranteed to fire if a shaman with one of the relevant abilities is recalled in a scenario where no initiates ever appear, which is another problem, but I don't think that can be the issue here, because in order for the first event to fire and give the additional advancement option, an initiate has to be in the scenario, since initiates are the only unit that can level to a shaman.)

It may be that the event is not firing, but it could also be an issue related to the logic in the event; I can't see anything glaringly wrong though.

(This is the same issue mentioned here.)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

The above bug is still around, but I've put version 0.4 on the add-ons server. This version marks a milestone of me finally completing my own campaign with as few cheats as possible. :P
Changlog:
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I've just finished this campaign. It's short, but well-made, in the style of the South Guard or an Orcish Incursion. The dialogue is brief but there are few errors, and at some points it has some very nice description that really contributes to the atmosphere. My sole problem, after a first run, is that The Journey Home feels like it should have shroud on the map. BtW, do you still need some names? What about Meridiel or Adriel or Astarea or Vanadiel or Morgil or Maestar or Girethiel or Galdar or Erithiel? I can think up loads more...for the orcs, Mirrak or Vergrim or Garburz or Vrughnar.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Kanzil wrote:I've just finished this campaign.
What version of the campaign were you playing on?
Kanzil wrote:My sole problem, after a first run, is that The Journey Home feels like it should have shroud on the map.
I definitely see what you mean. Probably the only real reason it doesn't is because your enemies speak at the start.
Kanzil wrote:BtW, do you still need some names? What about Meridiel or Adriel or Astarea or Vanadiel or Morgil or Maestar or Girethiel or Galdar or Erithiel? I can think up loads more...for the orcs, Mirrak or Vergrim or Garburz or Vrughnar.
At the moment, the orc leaders and the loyal mermaid are the most in need of names. I'll consider you suggestions and maybe use some of them. :)
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

What version of the campaign were you playing on?
I definitely see what you mean. Probably the only real reason it doesn't is because your enemies speak at the start.
You could just use the [remove_shroud] tag, and the [place_shroud] tags.
At the moment, the orc leaders and the loyal mermaid are the most in need of names. I'll consider you suggestions and maybe use some of them.
Glad you liked them :D .
Last edited by Kanzil on August 23rd, 2012, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Kanzil wrote:You could just use the [remove_shroud] tag, and the [place_shroud] tag.
Very true; another thing I considered was unshrouding just down to the enemy keep and leaving the rest shrouded.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

After recruiting a bunch of mermaid initiates as well as perusing the defined names, I've more or less settled on Aphrophila as the name of the loyal mermaid. I'm still somewhat open to suggestions for this, though. I also used two of Kanzil's suggestions (Galdar for the elvish lord and Vrughnar for the orcish warrior/warlord).

I'd still like a new name for the orcish ruler/sovereign (currently Grag-Chak) and also one for his son (an orcish leader with a random name). A new name would also be welcome for the goblin knight in the first scenario, though I don't particularly mind the current name (Burluk). Any loyal characters are also reasonable candidates for obtaining a non-random name (except possibly for the three in the first scenario). Of these, I'd say the captain and the berserker are the main ones who could maybe use a non-random name. I mainly just want the orc leader names though. (I don't really like the name Grag-Chak.)
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

For the dwarves: Kazag or Bazarr or Thurdar or Thrar or Narcaitlos. For the orcs: Lugharz or Graktar or Gashak or Vathog or Vishnak or Vrugdash.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Besieged Druids / version 0.4.0 / scenario 04 Watery Tunnels

Code: Select all

[if]
			[have_unit]
				id=malcorn
			[/have_unit]
			[then]
				[endlevel]
					result=victory
					bonus=yes
					carryover_report=yes
					carryover_percentage=30
					carryover_add=no                     ### no gold carryover?
				[/endlevel]
			[/then]
			[else]
				[endlevel]
					result=victory
					bonus=yes
					carryover_report=yes
					carryover_percentage=50
					carryover_add=yes
				[/endlevel]
			[/else]
		[/if]
	[/event]
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I'm in the process of tweaking all those things, so perhaps I'll do what you say. You should get less gold if you don't defeat Malcorn, though. I guess I only need to choose one mechanism with which to do that though: reduce carryover percentage OR set carryover_add=no OR set bonus=no. (Actually, in this case bonus=no may be the most appropriate? With carryover_add=yes as well.)

EDIT: Okay, berserker is Thrar, sovereign is Graktar, and his son is Gashak.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Version 1.0 is on the add-ons server. The reason for the major version increment is the addition of difficulties, though I don't think they're really balanced yet.
Changelog:
There's one known bug in the last scenario if Malcorn is there: there are four hexes of desert castle. On hard these should be human castle, while otherwise they should not be changed relative to the original citadel (so, the great trees should still be there). I haven't been able to figure out why it doesn't work. (The less major part of this bug is that there aren't additional tent villages on the hard difficulty.)
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Considering the large amount of changes, I'm gonna start over for helping on balancing.

Congrats on the new version! :D
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

Goblin knight in the first scenario recruits impalers instead of spearmen, but less of them since he has the same amount of gold; this is for better experience gains
Leader starts already at level 3
I know it's easy difficulty, but this really does make it ridiculously easy.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Kanzil wrote:I know it's easy difficulty, but this really does make it ridiculously easy.
Both of those or just one? The leader one I was sort of on the fence about, so I may still revert that.