The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TheScribe

Re: Besieged Druids campaign

Post by TheScribe »

Scenario 3:
Scenario 4:
Scenario 5:
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Scenario 6:
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Scenario 7:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

TheScribe wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Um... that overlay implies "hero" to me, not "cannot die". While it's true that they often overlap, there's no reason why they must always do so. Besides this, the merman isn't even on your side (it's on an allied side, yes, but not your own side).
Nitpicking
nuorc wrote:I thought a little introduction would have been nice, if he's not a regular elf. Why do I lose if he dies?
Ah, I think I see. Basically, you need something to elucidate that he's in charge of the guards at the citadel.
nuorc wrote:The vision. :wink: It felt like units didn't have their regular sight sometimes, but instead like I had to advance a unit beyond x,y to see certain sections of the map.
Odd... could it be because of the prevalence of cave and mushroom terrains though?
nuorc wrote:I might have reloaded on that scenario, I'm not sure. There were undead from the beginning...? When I watch the replay it gives errors from turn 10, I'm attaching it. Should there have been additional undead each time the message appeared? Also in later scenarios?
Undead are supposed to spawn every seven turns, as I recall. If you had undead at the beginning though, that means that the [scatter_units] tag worked, and then later stopped working. I'm guessing it's probably an issue with a preload event.
nuorc wrote:Yes. (Maybe it was explained in an earlier scenario and I missed/forgot it...)
The status of Graktar and why he can't die would probably best fit in the story sections, I think. You're right that there's no reason given at the moment.
nuorc wrote:EDIT To make my comment a little more substantial I've just looked up my starting gold:
Spoiler:
Hmm... that looks like a lot of gold in the last three scenarios, but since you'd probably have lots of level 2's and 3's by then, it may not be a problem. I think I won't alter it yet, at least.
TheScribe
TheScribe wrote:Scenario 3:
Spoiler:
Huh, interesting. I have several "alternate cases" in that scenario for events where one of the people who is supposed to respond to someone ends up actually being the one who initiates it, but I guess I must've missed one.
TheScribe wrote:
Scenario 5:
Yeah, I can see how this would be a good idea. Or at least make them start attacking well before turn 22 (maybe on turn 5).
TheScribe wrote:
Scenario 6:
Spoiler:
TheScribe wrote:
Scenario 7:
So basically... make it a little easier in easy difficulty?
Also, this question was never answered:
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I was a little dubious about making the leader level 3, so I'll probably go ahead and revert that part. Do you think making Erendor level 3 would have the same sort of general effect?
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Scenario 6:
Scenario 7:
And yes, making Erendor lvl3 would have the same effect. He's not that hard to level or anything.
Spoiler:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

TheScribe wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm not sure what you mean by that last sentence, but for the rest... they need increased aggression or something so that they'll actually move forward and try to kill him.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Increased aggression would help, though you'll probably need some ai modification tags to tell it to try to kill the necromancer. (as opposed to the other leaders)
Spoiler:
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

TheScribe wrote:though you'll probably need some ai modification tags to tell it to try to kill the necromancer.
See, I already had these tags, but something else is preventing them from taking effect, and I think it's aggression or caution or something.
TheScribe wrote:
Spoiler:
I guess it shouldn't be too hard to give the orcs less gold in this case...

(Sorry I've been absent for awhile; school happened. I haven't abandoned this; perhaps over Christmas I can get a new version out.)
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Well, it's not so much that he has too much gold, but also that he has a recall list with high level units on it. (I know he can recruit them, but recalling is usually cheaper for higher levels)

I'll pick it back up once you release a new version. :)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Ah, the recall list. Hm. That needs a little more thought then... I'll probably have to do some magic to filter his recall list...
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

In the 5th scenario (Along the coast) I keep getting a WML error relating to scatter_units. Haven't had time to drill into the code to see why.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

blackjack wrote:In the 5th scenario (Along the coast) I keep getting a WML error relating to scatter_units. Haven't had time to drill into the code to see why.
I got the same one in several scenarios – looks like the tag is used but is not recognized by the engine, so it is ignored (apart from the warning).

This doesn't hinder the playing and finishing the campaign, but if these are enemy units which are to be scattered, this might make the scenarios in question much easier than intended.

Also, I really like these abilities and the custom upgrades enabled by them. I specially like the treewalker ability.
quincy

Post by quincy »

Just played through the campaign! I like it a lot, it has some interesting new ideas. I especially liked the elven treewalker and priestess chains, those were cool (though I didn't discover the treewalker until the last scenario, and she died in a turn anyways).

I do think you should warn the players about the mermen going away; people might waste artifacts on them. Also, the scenario against the lich could have been a little more climactic. Some sort of twist, maybe.

Overall, though, I loved the campaign!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I'm pretty sure the merfolk come back in the last scenario though? Possibly only in certain conditions.

At some point, hopefully this summer, I hope to update it for the new 1.12 version of Wesnoth and add an extra scenario, so if you liked it, watch this space! ;)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I've updated this for Wesnoth 1.12 and uploaded it to the add-ons server. I have not, however, added the extra scenario or any new content. Perhaps that will come later.

There's still one bug where the AIs without a leader still go after villages when they're not supposed to. I'm not sure if that's a problem with my scenario or with Wesnoth itself.