The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Postby Celtic_Minstrel » April 18th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Unplanned mini-update!

I've just uploaded version 1.3.7 to the 1.12 addons server. I also plan to put it up in the 1.13 addons server once I've completed a play-through to be sure it all works in the new version.

Changelog:
  • Fix ability to use potions on enemies
  • Balance tweaks to scenario 5 - enemy no longer recruits chocobones, and saurians get more gold
  • Dominated units no longer enter your recall list.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Maintainer of Steelhive.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Postby Jarom » April 24th, 2017, 6:26 pm

I played on 1.3.6 version, Wesnoth 1.12.

Whole campaign is great, I really like it. I'm waiting for next part(s?). For me there're only four things that can be improved (mention that I haven't read whole thread):

1. Scenario "Reinforcements" was too hard.
I used debug mode to remove three or four waves of enemies from map and still I finished it in last turn, after reloading. I would really increase time limit, change objective to "resist for some turns" or simply make forested way through the swamps. Also, I played it two times, and saurian leader was always killed by undead before I reached him. I hope increasing gold for saurians removed this problem (I'll check it later). Also, Elvish Civilians are useless aganist undead, just like every unit you or your ally get in this scenario except one Elvish Lord and up to 7 elvish shamans. Skeletons level up quicly killing saurians, and you have to face some Death Blades early.

2. Some bugs
I got many lua errors, I'm not sure, but probably in scenario "Return Home", during the placement of hostile creatures (maybe in other scenarios too, but I don't remember, I got so many when playing UMC campaigns that I don't care). Also, there's a bug that enemies can get potions for you in the scenario Descent into the Chasm (maybe in others too). In Descent into the Orcish Realm mermen that go into whirlpool cannot return, maybe it's intended, but inables to use the powerful Storm Trident aganist undead in this scenario. Campaign abbrev (short added to scenario names) is still from previous campaign name (in your forum's signature there's old name too).

3. On easy, scenario in chasm (Descent into the Chasm) is way too easy, you have to beat just one wave of undead what isn't hard when playing Elvish Sorceresses. Maybe it was bonus for killing all enemies in previous scenario, but it's still too easy. Next scenario (The Journey Home), you have to fight about 3 times stronger army, which kills some of your experienced units (very painfull).

4.Eovyniel's Treewalk looks and acts very nice, but it's hardly ever useful, because there aren't much trees in locations, where fights took place. From other hand, you can easily teleport her into enemy keep, to quickly lose her.
Jarom

Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Postby Celtic_Minstrel » April 24th, 2017, 9:53 pm

1. This should be significantly improved in 1.3.7, but could probably still use further tweaking. Please do check it out later.
  2. It's definitely not intended that mermen cannot return from the whirlpool. The Lua errors are probably from unit scattering attempting to place a unit on a border tile. I'll certainly fixup the filters so that enemies can't get potions for you (hilarious though that is). It's probably possible in any scenario, but not very likely when the potions are in chests rather than villages.
  3. Hmm, interesting. I'll look at tweaking the difficulty of this scenario.
  4. Really? I've found it useful more than once, particularly in the sixth scenario (after Reinforcements). Perhaps tree placement could be tweaked sometimes to make it even more useful, though, and if you have more treewalkers than just Eovyniel, that would help too.
Maintainer of Steelhive.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Postby Can-ned_Food » April 26th, 2017, 3:15 am

I only played the old version — 1.3.5 — and I used the Treewalk quite a few times.

By the way, did you revamp the story? I recall you said that you would, and the new name seems to indicate a different plot.
I haven't looked at the updated version yet. :oops:
Can-ned_Food

Postby Celtic_Minstrel » April 26th, 2017, 4:26 am

The plot is basically the same for the most part. Some details have changed, but most of the plot rehaul was about adding or expanding stuff, rather than totally changing stuff. I renamed it not because the plot has fundamentally changed but because the original name didn't really reflect the plot beyond the first scenario. Plus it was a pretty boring and generic name.
Maintainer of Steelhive.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Postby Richard » April 27th, 2017, 12:31 am

Hi there.

Played through a number of times. No complaints to give.
I love:
The advancement lines with the Elvish Mage, Treewalker and Zealot. The first time I saw them my jaw dropped... hard.

I like:
The addition of the Ghost, the Orc Archer, the Mermaid Initiate, the pair of Dwarves and the pair of Drakes. The custom traits are fairly cool (makes the L4/5 Elvish magicians fairly beast/cool/tank/awesome)

Well done
Richard

Postby tapaboy » May 7th, 2017, 7:30 am

I am enjoying this fantastic campaign.

In the first scenario, by ignoring victory conditions, I could win the scenario without meeting Erendor (Elvish Ranger).
However, I could not play the fifth scenario for that.
I suggest that in the first scenario, the player's unit not to cross the river before meeting Erendor.
tapaboy

Re: The Black Cross of Aleron

Postby Jarom » May 10th, 2017, 7:49 am

Is replay below from new version or I'm doing something wrong? Scenario Reinforcements. If it's new version, it's even worse. Can I try to remake it?
Attachments
BCoA-Reinforcements_from..._Aufzeichnung_abspielen.gz
(90.12 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Jarom

Location: Green Isle, Irdya or Poland, Earth - I'm not quite sure

Postby Celtic_Minstrel » May 10th, 2017, 4:30 pm

No you can't try to remake it. I'll get to that myself, eventually. You can make some suggestions, though, and I'll take a look at your replay at some point.
Maintainer of Steelhive.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Previous

Return to Scenario & Campaign Development