The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: Besieged Druids campaign

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Adamant14 wrote:And somehow the 'holyauraresistanim' animation seems not to work.
Meaning, you managed to actually get the ability (by putting someone at 9,33 and then stepping on the necklace, or by editing the file) but the animation didn't play? I noticed it plays only when the person being attacked is someone adjacent to the person with the necklace, not when said person himself (or herself) is being attacked; would that explain your thought that it doesn't work?

I guess for the latter case I could add a [defend]... but that would disable the regular defense animation when fighting undead, so maybe it's not a good idea...
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Since the primary reason for having no turn limit on scenario 2 is gone (it was because the map was mostly cave), I'm thinking of putting one on it again. How long did people take to finish it? Last time I played through it took 35 turns; did anyone who played the new version take significantly longer?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Adamant14 wrote: 1. Limit the recruits.
2. Reduce the gold.
What do you mean by "limit the recruits"? Do you mean for the player, or for the enemy? Also, please see the top of page 2 where I responded to one of your points with a question that you seem to have missed.
taptap wrote:When I go around and trigger all the initiates in the villages first and kill the goblins with them much of the dialog ("No, there are no goblins anymore.") doesn't make sense.
Quick query: is it just the leader's responses that don't make sense, or does this also apply to what the initiates are saying?
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Adamant14 wrote:And somehow the 'holyauraresistanim' animation seems not to work.
Meaning, you managed to actually get the ability (by putting someone at 9,33 and then stepping on the necklace, or by editing the file) but the animation didn't play? I noticed it plays only when the person being attacked is someone adjacent to the person with the necklace, not when said person himself (or herself) is being attacked; would that explain your thought that it doesn't work?

I guess for the latter case I could add a [defend]... but that would disable the regular defense animation when fighting undead, so maybe it's not a good idea...
Yes, I edited the code to get the necklace.
And yes, I thought the holy aura should work for the unit itself.
But you say it is for the adjacent unit. :P
I'll check that.

EDIT:
I checked it, and it works like you told.
Great job. Looks really cool.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:Since the primary reason for having no turn limit on scenario 2 is gone (it was because the map was mostly cave), I'm thinking of putting one on it again. How long did people take to finish it? Last time I played through it took 35 turns; did anyone who played the new version take significantly longer?
I already deleted the save-loads.
But I remember I finished the scenario (version 1.2.2) in something about 30-35 turns.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Adamant14 wrote: 1. Limit the recruits.
2. Reduce the gold.
What do you mean by "limit the recruits"? Do you mean for the player, or for the enemy? Also, please see the top of page 2 where I responded to one of your points with a question that you seem to have missed.
What I meant is, I had nearly unlimited gold (because the campaign is not balanced yet).
Because of that I could recruit many many initiates and civilians.
To prevent this you can do either:
- limit the gold (side 1 starting gold and gold carry over)

or:

- limit the recruit-able initates and civilians (side 1)

In the scenario 'The Journey Home' I had recruited really a ridiculous number of civilians and initiates. (because I had more than 700 gold)
I used them as cannon-fodder to stop the orc's.
So I could easily finish the orc's with my levelled units without loosing any levelled units.
And the scenario was easy to win.
How you could prevent that?
You limited the number of recruit-able fighters and archers.
You limited the number of recruit-able merfolk.
So why don't you also limit the number of recruit-able initiates and civilians.
I think that is much easier than to balance the gold carryover.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
taptap wrote:When I go around and trigger all the initiates in the villages first and kill the goblins with them much of the dialog ("No, there are no goblins anymore.") doesn't make sense.
Quick query: is it just the leader's responses that don't make sense, or does this also apply to what the initiates are saying?
I think what Taptap means is the part when the chiefdruit says something like: "There are no more goblins around here.", while across the river is the next goblin pack preparing its attack. :hmm:
But maybe the chiefdruid just don't know about what happens across the river. :eng:

By the way:
I played scenario 1-4 again, this time version 1.2.2
and I can tell you, it is much better balanced than the first published version.
Scenario 1-4 are well balanced for a difficulty NORMAL or MEDIUM.

I really like your campaign.
When version 1.2.3 or maybe version 1.2.4 is out (well balanced then),
it will become one of my most favourite campaigns. :D
Last edited by Adamant14 on August 13th, 2012, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Adamant14 wrote:Yes, I edited the code to get the necklace.
And yes, I thought the holy aura should work for the unit itself.
But you say it is for the adjacent unit. :P
I'll check that.
The ability works for both the unit and any adjacent units, but the animation only works for adjacent units at the moment (it'd be nice if that changed though).
Adamant14 wrote:What I meant is, I had nearly unlimited gold (because the campaign is not balanced yet).
Because of that I could recruit many many initiates and civilians.
[...clipped for size...]
So why don't you also limit the number of recruit-able initiates and civilians.
I think that is much easier than to balance the gold carryover.
Okay. I won't limit the recruits just yet though, since I'll be doing tweaking that'll affect the gold carryover and stuff, which might end up being enough. Even then I'm a little reluctant to limit them. :P
Adamant14 wrote:I think what Taptap means is the part when the chiefdruit says something like: "There are no more goblins around here.", while across the river is the next goblin pack preparing its attack. :hmm:
But maybe the chiefdruid just don't know about what's across the river. :eng:
She doesn't know until the scout returns... though maybe I should account for the possibility of not seizing one of the villages until after that... still, it didn't sound like that's what Taptap meant. I hope he answers himself.
Adamant14 wrote:I played scenario 1-4 again, this time version 1.2.2
and I can tell you it is much better balanced than the previous version.
Scenario 1-4 are well balanced for a difficulty NORMAL or MEDIUM.

I really like your campaign.
When version 1.2.3 or maybe version 1.2.4 is out (well balanced then),
it will become one of my most favourite campaigns. :D
Good to hear! Thanks.

Also, uh... it seems I directed you to the top of page 2, when in fact I meant the top of page 3. Whoops?
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Adamant14 wrote:Add a limited number of level 2 units to the recruit list of the troll leader.
For a second here I thought you said recall list. :P By "limited" do you mean something where they can only have (for example) a maximum of 3 Dwarf Pathfinders at any given time?
Yes, that is exactly what I meant. :)

Sorry, I thought I had already answered this question. :P
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
taptap

Post by taptap »

Please don't limit the number of initiates and civilians you can recruit. Otherwise you might end up without any possible recruits and have to recall even L0 units! (All other recruits are already limited!) Better balance by the amount of available gold (or by making it advisable not to burn through your gold because you need it later. Though Adamant, I wonder who is spamming L0 units when he has overachieving L2 with their special abilities more similar to L4? I actually try to level some L0 to get a better recall list for non shaman-line units or more and new overachievers.

Scenario 1: Well, I didn't know I get reinforcements when closing in on the keep, so I was just killing the goblins on the central island with initiates I get from the villages and the druid before I moved on the keep. The dialog when triggering the initiates while the 1st goblin leader is still at large doesn't make sense most of the time because you assure them there are no goblins when you are in the middle of a fight.

Scenario 6: I guess you levelled the dwarves differently (both to Lord) and had more elvish flyers (I have less, because I am so curious about these special abilities that I want to try out all of them :)) as I found approaching the lich rather difficult. (Nearly lost my dwarf lord.) For me only two dwarves (I don't want to put the berserker in the frontline), the shadow and the crossbowman and elvish flyers were somewhat mobile in the cave.

Advertisement:
Well, the campaign picture is a druid in the middle of a melee attack on an elvish village as it would look in the game? Maybe a better readable druid picture looks better. But what would really help is to add a better, lengthier campaign description. Don't miss out on a good campaign description after all the hours you invested in writing the campaign.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

taptap wrote:Please don't limit the number of initiates and civilians you can recruit.
I wasn't planning to. In the unlikely event I did, it'd be as a last resort and would be a large limit (at least 100, probably), and probably only apply to the last two scenarios.
taptap wrote:Otherwise you might end up without any possible recruits and have to recall even L0 units! (All other recruits are already limited!)
Well, I would be expecting people to recall at least a few initiates, anyway. :P
taptap wrote:Better balance by the amount of available gold (or by making it advisable not to burn through your gold because you need it later.
I agree with this.
taptap wrote:Though Adamant, I wonder who is spamming L0 units when he has overachieving L2 with their special abilities more similar to L4? I actually try to level some L0 to get a better recall list for non shaman-line units or more and new overachievers.
Which special abilities seem more similar to level 4 on a shaman? I'm sure some of the abilities could be reduced in strength a little.
taptap wrote:Scenario 1: Well, I didn't know I get reinforcements when closing in on the keep, so I was just killing the goblins on the central island with initiates I get from the villages and the druid before I moved on the keep. The dialog when triggering the initiates while the 1st goblin leader is still at large doesn't make sense most of the time because you assure them there are no goblins when you are in the middle of a fight.
That's kinda what I though; so I could have separate druid responses depending on whether side 2 is annihilated or whether the scout has appeared with news of side 3, and it'd make more sense, right? That would be three possible responses from the druid, per village. One if side 2 has units, one if it doesn't and the scout hasn't yet appeared, and one for after the scout appears.
taptap wrote:Scenario 6: I guess you levelled the dwarves differently (both to Lord) and had more elvish flyers (I have less, because I am so curious about these special abilities that I want to try out all of them :)) as I found approaching the lich rather difficult. (Nearly lost my dwarf lord.) For me only two dwarves (I don't want to put the berserker in the frontline), the shadow and the crossbowman and elvish flyers were somewhat mobile in the cave.
Are you trying to say I should make it easier in some way? I should probably at least add a lot more mushrooms and some dirt inside the caves (though adding dirt could prove mildly problematic since I think my time area is keyed to it... I guess that's not hard to get around if I just use a different dirt than outside.
taptap wrote:Advertisement:
Well, the campaign picture is a druid in the middle of a melee attack on an elvish village as it would look in the game? Maybe a better readable druid picture looks better. But what would really help is to add a better, lengthier campaign description. Don't miss out on a good campaign description after all the hours you invested in writing the campaign.
Ah yes, I do need to make a much, much longer campaign description.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Ehm. When I comment something is difficult this is not necessarily intended as a plea for a reduction of difficulty - I could have easily lost some high value units, which in itself isn't bad. Here it is just, that it depends on very few mobile units (shaman line units on their final level, dwarves, the orc, the ghost) and if a player lost a dwarf earlier he will have a hard time with the lich, but of course if you focus on levelling out shaman-line units you could easily have a sylph or two by now, instead of half-way enchantresses.

Abilities: L4 power not on a shaman, but my "arcane damage initiate" (she is dextrous too I believe) got 10-5 damage as she levelled to sorceress. But I guess it is tough to manage so many special abilities while keeping them still different from each other.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

taptap wrote:Abilities: L4 power not on a shaman, but my "arcane damage initiate" (she is dextrous too I believe) got 10-5 damage as she levelled to sorceress. But I guess it is tough to manage so many special abilities while keeping them still different from each other.
Ah yes, if you take a faerie fire shaman to sorceress they get an extra boost to faerie fire. It could be toned down slightly, I suppose.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

taptap wrote:... Here it is just, that it depends on very few mobile units (shaman line units on their final level, dwarves, the orc, the ghost) and if a player lost a dwarf earlier he will have a hard time with the lich, ...
Spoiler:
EDIT:
Just for the case you found it. :P
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Perhaps so. Note that I'm going to decrease its power quite a bit, though. As it is it more than doubles movement for your entire army, which is really a bit much. I kinda want to make you choose who gets it (not just one person, though).
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

(1) Number or Name of the scenario.
09 Reclaiming the Citadel

(2) What difficulty level have you played the scenario on?
Different difficulty levels would be great.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Perfect clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline? What can be added to make the story clearer / more interesting?
For me it is clear enough.

(5) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
I finished the scenario in 19/40 turns, with only two losses. (and I am not a very good player)
So it was not very difficult.
2-3

note: With the gold carry-over I had four times more gold than the enemy.

(6) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No challenges. :(

(7) Did you cheat? And why?
No need to cheat.

(8) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
It was much to easy, so I don't give a rating here.

(9) Was there a bug in the scenario?
No.

(10) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

It is the final scenario, so there should be something special.
I don't know what, but only kill the enemy ... I miss something I can not name.

And a end dialogue, after all this fighting, after defeating all enemies, there should be some pathetic words.

Note: Healing-Potion and Haste-Potion, both is a huge benefit for the player.
(I fear many, maybe most of the players will not find the chest with those potions)
And the player who don't find those big, big 'helpers' has definitely more to struggle.

Resume:
An emerging campaign, with big potential.
Great new ideas.
Brilliant coded.
It still needs a little balancing, but really fun to play. :)
Thank you Celtic_Minstrel for your wonderful campaign.
Last edited by Adamant14 on August 14th, 2012, 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

The power of the potions will be reduced quite a bit; I'm planning to make them usable 50 or 100 times, but each time only affects one unit. That might also make using the healing potion feel like less of a waste. :P

Spoilers follow, so read at your own risk. ;)
Potential expansion?:
Names wanted! Apply within!:
Anyone who feels like testing different possible paths, read this. Expect heavy spoilers if you click here!:
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

About the names,
why don't you choose a name from: data/core/macros/names.cfg

There you can find a lot of cool names. :)