The Black Cross of Aleron (formerly Besieged Druids)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Adamant14

Re: Besieged Druids campaign

Post by Adamant14 »

(1) Number or Name of the scenario.
03 Orcs in the Port

(2) What difficulty level have you played the scenario on?
Again, there is only one. I recommend to change that.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Absolute clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline? What can be added to make the story clearer / more interesting?
Pretty clear.

(5) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2 (with all the carryover-gold I had from the previous scenario, and all the loyal units you placed for me in this scenario, it was really, really easy.)

(6) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
There where no real challenge in this scenario.
EDIT: The enemy has only 40 starting gold.

(7) Did you cheat? And why?
No.

(8) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6 (only '6', because it was a bit to less challenging.
EDIT: Don't get me wrong, it is a pretty good scenario. Would it have been better balanced, then I would had voted maybe with an '8' )

An extra point for:
Spoiler:
And also an extra point for:
Spoiler:
(9) Was there a bug in the scenario?
No.

(10) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
Spoiler:
Last edited by Adamant14 on August 8th, 2012, 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Adamant14 wrote:Do you know that there are two dwarf-fighter portraits in core?
I didn't, actually. I'll probably make use of that, then.
Adamant14 wrote:I also would make the way down shorter (less hexes to go).
I think that would be difficult unless I completely replaced the map (not that that's out of the question).
Adamant14 wrote:(2) What difficulty level have you played the scenario on?
Again, there is only one. I recommend to change that.
On my todo list. :)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Ulfsark

Post by Ulfsark »

I am playing through your campaign right now, and I am noticing a lot of small things that I personally would change about the dialogue. If you would like me to keep track of all the little changes I would make I will gladly do so.

However I understand if you would rather change it all yourself when you get around to it. I don't want to practically rewrite your entire dialogue :p
Author of Return to Ruins Single Player Campaign
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

04 'Watery Tunnels'

:)

Crystal clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline? What can be added to make the story clearer / more interesting?

6 (this is the first scenario I had really losses)

It was no problem to win the scenario, but to avoid loosing many units.
This is the first scenario with 'strong' enemies (level 2 and level 3), and I lost two loyal units, and a level 3 unit.

Yes,
Spoiler:
7-8

No.

(10) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?

-Tomato Surprise: Set the spawned enemies moves to:

Code: Select all

moves=0
, so they can move and attack not until the next turn.

- Whirpool Tunnel: Place also an whirlpool image on the other exit of the tunnel, so that the player easier find the way back to the main cave.

- Whirlpool Tunnel: It looks weird that the end of the tunnel is on top of the little cave (x,y=2,17), I think it should be on x,y=3,24.

- Secret Dwarf Tunnel: Add an option; the player should be able to choose, if he wants to open the tunnel or not.

- Reduce the turn limit, I finished the scenario after turn 23 (turn limit 50)

Note: I didn't found the magic neclace :(
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Ulfsark wrote:I am playing through your campaign right now, and I am noticing a lot of small things that I personally would change about the dialogue. If you would like me to keep track of all the little changes I would make I will gladly do so.
That would be welcome; I may not use all of them, but I'd probably use some of them.
Adamant14 wrote:It was no problem to win the scenario, but to avoid loosing many units.
This is the first scenario with 'strong' enemies (level 2 and level 3), and I lost two loyal units, and a level 3 unit.
Should I change something here, or do you think it's reasonable to be harder?
Adamant14 wrote:- Whirpool Tunnel: Place also an whirlpool image on the other exit of the tunnel, so that the player easier find the way back to the main cave.
I don't think putting another whirlpool makes as much sense; I'll think about whether to reuse the whirlpool or look for some other sort of graphic.
Adamant14 wrote:- Whirlpool Tunnel: It looks weird that the end of the tunnel is on top of the little cave (x,y=2,17), I think it should be on x,y=3,24.
I see what you mean, but I'm not sure I can fit it how I want like that...
Adamant14 wrote:Note: I didn't found the magic neclace :(
It may be in a slightly bad place, considering only the merfolk can get there in a reasonable time. Perhaps I'll move it.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Adamant14 wrote:It was no problem to win the scenario, but to avoid loosing many units.
Should I change something here, or do you think it's reasonable to be harder?
No, don't change it. It is good as it is.
But please change the Tomato Surprise the way I suggested.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Adamant14 wrote:- Whirpool Tunnel: Place also an whirlpool image on the other exit of the tunnel, so that the player easier find the way back to the main cave.
I don't think putting another whirlpool makes as much sense; I'll think about whether to reuse the whirlpool or look for some other sort of graphic.
I suggest to use the same graphic. Its just to mark the exit, to show the player where he has to move to exit the hidden cave.
Celtic_Minstrel wrote:
Adamant14 wrote:- Whirlpool Tunnel: It looks weird that the end of the tunnel is on top of the little cave (x,y=2,17), I think it should be on x,y=3,24.
I see what you mean, but I'm not sure I can fit it how I want like that...
Give it a try ... :P

And what do you think about the secret dwarf tunnel?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Adamant14 wrote:And what do you think about the secret dwarf tunnel?
I think that suggestion was a good one. I intended to do it but forgot. Twice. :lol2: I guess I'll do it now before I forget again!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

New version on the add-on server (0.2).
Spoiler:
Ulfsark

Post by Ulfsark »

Alright here is all of the writing stuff I found playing through most of the first scenario. A lot of it is nitpicking and very minor, but I think it would help out a little bit.
Spoiler:
I really like the fact that the units that come out of the woodwork(pun intended) are all low hitpoints, it really creates a cool feeling of there having been an attack which I like a lot.

A small suggestion that would make a big difference was that recruiting so many initiates got really tedious. So What I would suggest, would be to have the scout go check all the villages for survivors and have him find a few at each one. This would allow the player to be even more immersed by the fact that there was an attack, as well as giving them something else to do each turn instead of moving a ton of zerg like units :p

If you want it to be random then check out the code from the second scenario in the Descent into Darkness campaign, it has things spawn at random when the player captures a village, Otherwise you could just use a move to event that spawns units :)

I hope this helped!
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I've made a number of dialogue tweaks based on your suggestions. :)
Ulfsark wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Ulfsark wrote:A small suggestion that would make a big difference was that recruiting so many initiates got really tedious. So What I would suggest, would be to have the scout go check all the villages for survivors and have him find a few at each one. This would allow the player to be even more immersed by the fact that there was an attack, as well as giving them something else to do each turn instead of moving a ton of zerg like units :p
That is a good idea... I'm reluctant to give more loyal units, though, especially initiates; do you think it would be okay if such random initiates were not loyal?

Also, would having a slightly larger castle help with the tediousness?
Ulfsark

Post by Ulfsark »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote:I've made a number of dialogue tweaks based on your suggestions. :)
Ulfsark wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Ulfsark wrote:A small suggestion that would make a big difference was that recruiting so many initiates got really tedious. So What I would suggest, would be to have the scout go check all the villages for survivors and have him find a few at each one. This would allow the player to be even more immersed by the fact that there was an attack, as well as giving them something else to do each turn instead of moving a ton of zerg like units :p
That is a good idea... I'm reluctant to give more loyal units, though, especially initiates; do you think it would be okay if such random initiates were not loyal?

Also, would having a slightly larger castle help with the tediousness?
Yeah I guess the ranged attack isn't necessary, It just feels a bit dirty to range them down.

I think it would be okay if the units weren't loyal as long as you balance it so that the gold stays where you want it. I just mean use them in place of recruiting so many as opposed to giving them more. A larger castle wouldn't help much, Just hitting ctrl+r so many times and moving them all off the keep to do it again is tiresome.

oh and what may be cool, is if instead of having a solid keep, make it like a large ring (with them still connected) then have a great tree tile in the center or something like that as a courtyard.

And I am glad I could help with the dialogue :)
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Ulfsark wrote:I think it would be okay if the units weren't loyal as long as you balance it so that the gold stays where you want it.
I was thinking of adjusting your income to account for their upkeep when I remembered that they're level 0 and thus have no upkeep anyway! :lol2:
Ulfsark wrote:I just mean use them in place of recruiting so many as opposed to giving them more. A larger castle wouldn't help much, Just hitting ctrl+r so many times and moving them all off the keep to do it again is tiresome.
I tend to use Cmd-Option-R (Ctrl-Alt-R) to repeat the last recruit, but even then I see what you mean.
Ulfsark wrote:oh and what may be cool, is if instead of having a solid keep, make it like a large ring (with them still connected) then have a great tree tile in the center or something like that as a courtyard.
That does sound like an interesting idea. I'm not sure whether I'll do it though.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

New version on the add-on server (0.2.1)
Spoiler:
Faerie_Storm

Post by Faerie_Storm »

so finally some campaign feedback
Spoiler:
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

05 Along the coast

Crystal clear

I like it.

4-5

Not to loose a levelled unit.

Yes, because I lost my loyal Mermaid Priestess in a silly way. :roll:

7-8

No.

Add a limited number of level 2 units to the recruit list of the troll leader.

Maybe a matter of taste, but I think an Outlaw would better fit as leader for the misfit side, instead of the Troll Shaman.

Note: I like the 'cairn effect' idea :)