Questions for the Community

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

junoslord

Questions for the Community

Post by junoslord »

(First, I'm new to the forum here, so if this is in the wrong place I apologize in advance. Please let me know where it should be placed.)

I have a few general questions I need answered about making campaigns and after reading the documents on the main .org site and searching the forums I couldn't find anything-- so hopefully no redundant inquiries.

1. With regard to the UMC IDE, I downloaded the stand alone version and can't find any documentation to support it. Other than the download and installation guide that comes with it. Is there a guide somewhere, is there one in the works, or do I have to be "in the know" in order to use the thing?

2. More on the UMC IDE, is the program a "magic bullet," or do I still need to know how to program WML? Is the wiki the only source?

3. With regards to unit lines and animations. Are the unit lines and animations in the mainline campaigns open to use in other campaigns, or do all units need to be from a new faction, with new animations?
America-- Land of the Free, home of the Brave! "And now that we've taken care of the Braves we're coming after the Free."

"BANNED!!! What the hell do you mean BANNED? All I did was call one narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi moderator a narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi!"
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Questions for the Community

Post by Iris »

Welcome to the forums! I for one haven’t used the UMC IDE (although there’s a topic by the author here), so I can only answer your third question myself:
junoslord wrote:3. With regards to unit lines and animations. Are the unit lines and animations in the mainline campaigns open to use in other campaigns, or do all units need to be from a new faction, with new animations?
Many add-ons in fact reuse units, code, and other assets (images, music, sounds) from the core set provided with the game. There are no restrictions as to what you can build reusing core content, including assets from mainline campaigns; all content in the game is open-source and free for your use in compliant add-ons.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I haven't used the IDE either, although I'm sure it can be helpful. The wiki is very helpful, so is looking at the WML of what other people have done.

By the way, WML is easy to learn, that is one of the main reasons for its existence. You don't need to be a programmer.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
junoslord

Post by junoslord »

I've been looking through the Liberty campaign files and using that one.
doofus-01 wrote:By the way, WML is easy to learn... You don't need to be a programmer.
Am I the only one who remembers making custom skirmishes for Gettysburg? 8)
America-- Land of the Free, home of the Brave! "And now that we've taken care of the Braves we're coming after the Free."

"BANNED!!! What the hell do you mean BANNED? All I did was call one narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi moderator a narrow-minded, power-hungry Nazi!"