Walk in the Shadows campaign (for BfW 1.10.1)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

moony

Re: Walk in the Shadows campaign (for BfW 1.10.1)

Post by moony »

Scenario beaten and waiting for the next one ^^
It's really different from other wesnoth campaigns; but I like it :)
Unsere Taten bestimmen wer wir sind, nicht unsere Worte.
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

No, I really enjoy this story. It sucks me in each scenario, and I just want to see more! I don't understand how people can complain about this, as in my opinion it's wonderful. :)
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
rogo

Post by rogo »

Wow, thanks! I'm really happy you like it this much! :-)

Did you actually prevent the camp from being discovered, or did you simply kill the patrol? This may have an impact on the storyline later on. ;-) Especially since in my opinion it's a lot harder to delay the patrol, until Halicrom shows up.
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

What I did was...
First they discovered the camp. I couldn't take them out, so what I did was restart, went back a few turns you see.
How I won was everytime I died, I would go back, new strategy or w/e, same turn and test out my luck. since I would do the same thing anyways from turn 1, I made him a master shadow magiks and I took advantage of his hitpoints and terrain defense. When the rest of my team died, I lured them more into the forest for them to not go towards camp, but towards me. :)
"In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons." -Herodotus
"Two things are infinite, the universe and Human stupidity. Although, I'm not sure about the universe. -Albert Einstein
rogo

Post by rogo »

tribes45, thanks für your insight. If I understood correctly, you did really manage to prevent them from discovering your camp in your last try, right? That'd be fantastic!

Since the style of play is a bit more rpg-like than strategy. Do you think it's too easy to level Andreas to Shadow Master (and get a shot at the really useful AMLA's)?
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

It maybe to easy, but It's the only thing that allowed me to win the scenario, sure there maybe be other strategy's I guess. Really usefuk AMLA's such as? More damage on Astral Blade.. or.. Strikes?
rogo

Post by rogo »

tribes45, I thought maybe I made the scenario too tough to win without killing the whole patrol. I'm thinking about making the patrol a bit smaller, by 1 or 2 units maybe. It has enough of an advantage because of the long lasting daylight anyway. Then I can make it a bit more expensive to level the Shadow Mage to Master. ;-)

As soon as I release more scenarios, you can level your Shadow Master again and see the many AMLA's you can choose from. ;-) But there are more interesting AMLA's than just more damage and strikes.
tribes45

Post by tribes45 »

rogo wrote: But there are more interesting AMLA's than just more damage and strikes.
I know, those were just examples, when I was asking what type of AMLA's.
rogo

Post by rogo »

I've uploaded version 0.2.1 beta. It contains the following changes:

- made it harder to level Shadow Mages to Shadow Lords (takes now 4 level-ups instead of just 3); you have to load a save game from before Andreas became a Shadow Mage, so that this change takes effect
- made the "Defending Shadow Town" scenario easier, the patrol has two units less than before (10 instead of 12)
- hunting scenario: additional defeat condition: you kill two more animals than you need to
- dialog corrections in several scenarios
Bast

Post by Bast »

I played it and i really enjoyed it.
Main default in your campaign is that it have an end, and that it come too fast ;)

No really, the idea of having these dialogs makes it quite wonderful + The story is in my opinion one of the greatest stories in term of originality.
Most wesnoth campains are about a young prince becoming a king, or whatever, here we can follow the path of a character with an interesting past, and we could imagine that he becomes a lot of different things (a murderer path becoming leader of assassins, the leader of thieves, becoming the new leader of shadow mages, going to light or dark as a mage, etc...)
Usually you just know exactly when a campaign begins how it will end (big fight for the country against the great evil).

In your scenario, it's not manichean, you have the loyalists that are not giving any future to young people, thieves that don't want to murder anybody, assassins paid by loyalists but that are murderers, shadow mages that are quite neutral and following their own views, etc...
So i'm really curious of how this young hero will evolve. Will he become the leader of thieves and a kind of Robin Wood ? Will he work for his view ? Will he raise the Shadow Mages guild against Mages etc.. ?

My main concerns and comments :
> I think there's some kind of bug about the +20%hp i never got those and the character always kept 36hp even with both regen and +move

> I dislike the fact we don't leave a fight with the young boy and he's level 0. Building a character like this with a great story deserves imo a bit of gameplay at that moment.
I'd vote for a scenario where you fight against other boys of his ages and their big brother, becoming level 1 and then against stepfather and loose, before leaving home.

> First scenario with the caravan seems quite random (sometimes the thieve leader is killed too fast, sometimes you can't take any xp, sometimes you finish soldier + Caravan as i did and level...)
I'd say it would be interesting to makes it less random but no idea how.

> Hunting was fine, maybe a bit long for a non challenging map, killing wolves was a bonus to get more xp.
Meanwhile i dislike the fact there is no boss there like an alpha wolf (level2) and/or a bear.

> Scenario where you go back to past was interesting, but you could get something from the stepfather kill on his body (like a key to a mysterious appartment where you get handcufs and chains ^^)

> Scenario where you cover the camp: i almost killled the entire troop with leader (sacrificing other units to take the damages & kill few of them).
Also it's nearly a must cheat scenario. I mean when you begin a does not know from where will come the troop, you send units in every border of the map to find it, then you're forced to reload cause you just MUST have your leader and some other troops there to fight, distract, or hold them.
So i get the idea to have a big map to explain that the camp is hard to find for the troop (and a map that could be re-used in other scenarios), but somehow you should warn the player that shadowmage spies (or anything) noticed a troop coming from north east.. So that the player can go immediatly on the right direction and does not have to reload on previous turns.

>Character seems really strong imo, i think it should have less res at that point & find an armor to increase the res after (like from stepfather (stolen from true father or little sister damned panty) or even after in other scenarios)

>Looking forward from you to see more scenarios, maybe with other greatly build story characters involved to join our hero for him becoming finnaly a legend in wesnoth universe !

See you & thanks for your work, it was entertaining.
rogo

Post by rogo »

Hi Bast,

thanks for your comprehensive feedback. I'm very happy you like my campaign! To tell you the truth, I was a bit concerned how it might be recepted cause of the unusual story. :-)

I have planned for more scenarios, sadly I've been quite busy. So this campaign has to wait. Hopefully, I'll be able to work on it again. My last effort was a rework of the "Defend Shadow Town" scenario but I wasn't able to test it yet. I will definitely release it some day. ;-)
Bast wrote: > I think there's some kind of bug about the +20%hp i never got those and the character always kept 36hp even with both regen and +move
Hm, I'm not sure I really get what kind of issue you are referring to. Regen doesn't give more health, just regeneration per turn. More movement gives only that. As long as you don't level to the next mage level (like from Shadow Mage to Shadow Lord), all stats remain the same, except the special you chose and a raise in XP, you need to get to the next levelup. - What kind of levelup did you take exactly?
Bast wrote: > I dislike the fact we don't leave a fight with the young boy and he's level 0. Building a character like this with a great story deserves imo a bit of gameplay at that moment.
I'd vote for a scenario where you fight against other boys of his ages and their big brother, becoming level 1 and then against stepfather and loose, before leaving home.
Very interesting point. The first scenario I wrote when I started my campaign included a fight with the stepfather, in which the latter was killed. It's still included with the release but deactivated. ;-)

What I wanted to stress with the new approach was, that Andreas is not as far as challenging anyone. He is frustated and fearful. But at the same time, he doesn't want to remain as he is. So he just wents away. Of course he is hateful toward his stepfather, but it is a cold hate... yet. ;-)

I think your idea of another scenario before the currently first one fantastic, especially what you have in mind. I mean the fight(s) with other youths. I think it really suits Andreas' character. Maybe I do it some time.
Bast wrote: > First scenario with the caravan seems quite random (sometimes the thieve leader is killed too fast, sometimes you can't take any xp, sometimes you finish soldier + Caravan as i did and level...)
I'd say it would be interesting to makes it less random but no idea how.
Well, this might be a weakpoint in my campaign design. I just didn't have a splendid idea how to get Andreas and Halicrom together. Maybe I should have had included another scenario in between, where Andreas could have got a few XP... or something. I'm not sure.
Bast wrote: > Hunting was fine, maybe a bit long for a non challenging map, killing wolves was a bonus to get more xp.
Meanwhile i dislike the fact there is no boss there like an alpha wolf (level2) and/or a bear.
I thought about boss animals myself. Well, maybe I get back to this one day. This issue has no priority for me right now.
Bast wrote: > Scenario where you go back to past was interesting, but you could get something from the stepfather kill on his body (like a key to a mysterious appartment where you get handcufs and chains ^^)
Lol - Sorry, it just changes later dialogs and maybe even the storyline later on. ;-)
Bast wrote: > Scenario where you cover the camp: i almost killled the entire troop with leader (sacrificing other units to take the damages & kill few of them).[..]
I reworked this one. Where the soldiers are coming from is said in some dialog. For clarifications I'm gonna add the info to the notes.
Bast wrote: >Character seems really strong imo, i think it should have less res at that point & find an armor to increase the res after (like from stepfather (stolen from true father or little sister damned panty) or even after in other scenarios)
I agree. The character is really strong. The character has the elusive special, making him harder to hit. I thought about removing it, but well, I don't know yet.

Cheers,
rogo
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

do you still develop on this campaign?
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

I liked it so far, would be a pity having it hanging like this.
Cashcam24

Post by Cashcam24 »

It seems like it would be a great campaign but the terrain won't load and the animation for the characters move leaves shadows every where
Tolkiair

Post by Tolkiair »

I actually throughly enjoyed this campaign all be it short.

It seems as if its been dropped though. Perhaps at some point someone will pick it back up and continue.