Mini MP Scenario - Chess!

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Coffee
Inactive Developer

Mini MP Scenario - Chess!

Post by Coffee »

I've uploaded a mini-scenario for multiplayer that is a mixture of chess and Wesnoth :lol2:

There are pawns (peasants), knights, bishops (white mages), etc. as in regular chess, as well as elements of Wesnoth play (hex based, regular Wesnoth movement, etc.). The sections on the right show captured pieces.

Screenshot:
Chess-screenshot.jpg
Rules:
- Win by killing enemy king (chess main goal)
- If you are both left with only your king it is a stalemate (from chess)
- Pawns move 2 spaces on first turn of movement, then 1 space thereafter (from chess)
- One move per turn enforced (as in chess)
- Queen moves as in chess, knight can "leap a hex, bishop heals, and noble is a new addition to make use of the Wesnoth skirmisher ability
- Units do not rest heal

Just another fun little MP scenario. I've even tweaked the AI parameters to play it decently.

*note: I've changed the piece movement and made it one move per turn due to that it seemed like it was too confusing for most players.
Last edited by Coffee on April 27th, 2012, 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dugi

Re: Mini MP Scenario - Chess!

Post by Dugi »

Looks very nice. I will certainly try it out!
J-bros

Post by J-bros »

It's actually kinda fun to play! One thing worth considering is "promoting pawns" since the pawns themselves are pretty weak against anything other than each other. Right now they upgrade to spearmen/bowmen.
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

J-bros wrote:It's actually kinda fun to play! One thing worth considering is "promoting pawns" since the pawns themselves are pretty weak against anything other than each other.
I've changed the promotion path of pawns (peasants) to knights, bishops (white mages), and rooks (royal warriors). I think this makes it a bit more chess-like and easier to follow.
janenho13

Post by janenho13 »

I think it is good idea to do something like this. But in Wesnoth very hard to do it. For example, all units have the same moves(of course not at all, for example Master at Arms has more) and there are 9 lines instead of classic 8, so I didn't find out what unit representate king or queen. But taken around and around it is good.
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Post by Coffee »

I've updated this mini scenario to now be more chess-like.

So 1 move per turn, and your units block other units. Knights can "leap" a hex, and the queen can move in any straight line. Hope this is is easier to follow, and I think it is more strategic this way.