1.12 SP Naga campaign, Return of the Monster

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

tekelili

Re: 1.10 SP Naga campaign, Return of the Monster

Post by tekelili »

SkyOne wrote:Thank you, Alarantalara. :)
I have one scenario that braziers light up in a moveto event (by removing brazier.png). I took a look the image-utils file in core/macro folder, but it seems that showing the animated braziers behind units is impossible in [event]s. Could you tell me it is possible to do or not (if you see this post)?
Hi SkyOne, I was trying to light-off braziers for my scenario, and trying to learn I looked throught your one. I finally learned how, and it looked to me (sorry if wrong) you still dint changed it. Dont know if you need help, but here is what I did:

Code: Select all

#define ANIMATED_TGT_BRAZIER X Y
    [terrain_graphics]
        x,y={X},{Y}
        [tile]
            x,y=0,0
            [image]
                layer=0
                name="../items/brazier-lit1.png:140,../items/brazier-lit2.png:140,../items/brazier-lit3.png:140,../items/brazier-lit4.png:140,../items/brazier-lit5.png:140,../items/brazier-lit6.png:140,../items/brazier-lit7.png:140,../items/brazier-lit8.png:140"
                [variant]
                    tod=deep_underground
                    name="../items/brazier.png:140"
                [/variant]
            [/image]
        [/tile]
    [/terrain_graphics]
#enddef
I just change time schedule to deep_underground when want them off. Not sure about your scenario schedule, but I guess you can just define a new schedule with same names and everything but just different id, storage tod, change schedule, and set storaged tod. Hope it helps.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
SkyOne

Re: 1.11 SP Naga campaign, Return of the Monster

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you for paying attention to this campaign, tekelili.:)
Like you said, I did not fix the part you mention on the version of 1.10 server. I succeeded to do it by changing the terrain to the animated braziers on the version of BfW 1.11 that has just been on the server. But it seems yours is better because installing the terrain-images is not necessary in the case. I may change it to yours later.

Anyway, version 0.8.2 is on 1.11 server.
This is the first attempt of this campaign uploading to 1.11 server (0.8.0-0.8.1 used for the process of the development).
Because the geography has been slightly changed on BfW 1.11 +, especially the farnorth area, two scenarios have been removed and new two have been added since this edition for BfW 1.11. The total number of the scenarios is the same as one on 1.10 server, actually.
--------------

EDIT:
Version 0.8.3 has been on 1.11 server since Oct. 7th.
This is a minor update that includes modifying scenario 15, Snow Queen, touching slightly on a few of the animations of the units, and polishing the travel routes on BG-map. The location of scenario 3 has been changed, but it doesn’t affect the game play.

Crossing with the previous version, 0.8.2, is absolutely fine.

thanks
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

hey, playing your campaign at the moment.
-In the scenario dwarvish pathfinder i meet a unit called fog clearer at 5,2. I suppose it's not meant to be there. Not a game-breaking problem, but i think that you may want to know. :wink:
-Also how about using other types of nagas? try the era of chaos which has some pretty good naga sprites and units.
-in scenario 06 the birth there seems to be a missing image on the nest.
also, when you take the blue potion, it says, that the units hitpoints will be upgraded by 5 "until the end of the campaign" I think that's pretty unneaded, as nothing will go longer than the campaign. Instead, I'd say something like "will increase the hitpoints of this unit permanently"
-and, instead of taking such an old portrait for amailoss (I understand that you don't want to take the standard naga portrait) why don't you tkae this one?:

the campaign is actually pretty fun. :)
Attachments
fighter.png
fighter.png (145.15 KiB) Viewed 6382 times
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Paulomat4 wrote:-In the scenario dwarvish pathfinder i meet a unit called fog clearer at 5,2. I suppose it's not meant to be there. Not a game-breaking problem, but i think that you may want to know. :wink:
Thank you for reporting.
You mean that it showed just a second, then disappeared, right? Fixed on the new version, 0.8.4, that has just gone to 1.11 server.
Paulomat4 wrote:-Also how about using other types of nagas? try the era of chaos which has some pretty good naga sprites and units.
At this point, the variation of Naga units in this campaign is probably enough after the addition of Lieutenant and Major. Currently, there are 6 different kinds of L3 naga/nagini units in the game, including Amailoss unit (except Queen). But sure. I will take a look at it.:)
Paulomat4 wrote:-and, instead of taking such an old portrait for amailoss (I understand that you don't want to take the standard naga portrait) why don't you tkae this one?:
Thank you! It it pretty good, and obviously better than old default one that I am using for Amailoss (especially its size). Do you know who drew it? I am happy to install it, but it needs a few modifications for Amailoss of this campaign. I'd better get the permission from the author to touch it.
Paulomat4 wrote:the campaign is actually pretty fun.:)
Glad to hear it. Thank you for playing.:)

Anyway, as I have mentioned it already, new version, 0.8.4, has been on 1.11 server.
The changes are all minors, but not too few:
• modified map (including the following scenario code): - 02 Through the Forest, 04 Pirate's Port, 05 Carapace Guards, 06 The Birth, 07 New Leader, 08 Orcish Pursuers, and 10 The Escape
-- these only include a few changes, such as replacing water terrains form tropical ones to medium ones
• modified map and scenario: - 14 Longtime Enemies (made it easier a bit) and 16 Reinforcement (polished the balance a bit).
• touched up unit image/animation: - Naga Ninjas' ranged attack and some of carapace units
• adjusted the color of terrain base: - sand encampment keep (it was too red)
• adjusted the number of attack: - Naga Ninjas' melee attack, 8-4 --> 8-5 (8-4 was a bit too weak as L3 Fighter)

Crossing with the previous version is just fine.

thanks
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

You mean that it showed just a second, then disappeared, right?
no, it didn't disappeared, like others in the scenarios with the elves for example. I really had to kill it myself.
Do you know who drew it?
sadly no, but a search in the forums, or a search with google goggle might help you there. I could also imagine using this portrait for the naga ninja line.

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Wow, you are so quick.
Paulomat4 wrote:
SkyOne wrote:You mean that it showed just a second, then disappeared, right?
no, it didn't disappeared, like others in the scenarios with the elves for example. I really had to kill it myself.
Eh! :shock: It is a kind of funny, but it doesn't occur on mine. 1.11.2 with 1.11.6 core-folder, though... (because 1.11.2 is the highest version of BfW that supports my OS.)
I will double-check it. You are on 1.11.6, right?
Paulomat4 wrote:
SkyOne wrote:Do you know who drew it?
sadly no, but a search in the forums, or a search with google goggle might help you there.
Okay, could you tell me where/how you got it (if you still remember)?
Paulomat4 wrote:I could also imagine using this portrait for the naga ninja line.
Yeah, the character fits with Ninja unit more than Amailoss.:)
Another option is to use it for Naga Warrior/Myrmidon unit, then Myrmidon portrait is for Amailoss. The problem is that Kitty's default nagas are too nice. I mean nothing is the same quality or better quality than them.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I'm sorry, i didn't manage to find from where i got it. I'm sure though, that it was on the forums.
I believe it was before kitty created her awesome portraits, but got forgotten. I also had another version saved in my collection which is a bit darker if you want to use it for the ninja.
fighter (2).png
fighter (2).png (135.44 KiB) Viewed 6301 times
You are on 1.11.6, right?
yeah, for windows.

EDIT: found it! :D http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... &start=225

SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Thank you, Paulomat4.
I appreciate for spending time to find out who drew it.:)

Fortunately, it was drawn by TSI who has taken care of many of default portraits and units for BfW. I talked to him, and he allowed me to touch it.:) So it will probably be something like:
- the lighter one might be for Amailoss, and the darker one might be for his brother (although he has only one line at beginning of the first scenario). Then current Amailoss might be for Trixleii who is a loyal unit.
Paulomat4 wrote:
SkyOne wrote:You are on 1.11.6, right?
yeah, for windows.
Hmmm... I start worrying about this:
Paulomat4 wrote:-in scenario 06 the birth there seems to be a missing image on the nest.
This is nothing wrong on mine, but the nest is actually a terrain, not an [item]. So it is possible like bottom half of a unit-image doesn't show on the hex because I have seen it on the new bridge terrain. Is that something like it or the whole image disappeared when a unit moves on the nest even when Kozmo was born? It is hard to fix because I cannot make sure that it works or not, but I will try in the case.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

This is nothing wrong on mine, but the nest is actually a terrain, not an [item]. So it is possible like bottom half of a unit-image doesn't show on the hex because I have seen it on the new bridge terrain. Is that something like it or the whole image disappeared when a unit moves on the nest even when Kozmo was born? It is hard to fix because I cannot make sure that it works or not, but I will try in the case.
I looked into the code, and i think I found the error. There's this:

Code: Select all

[item]
            image=scenery/nest-one-egg.png
            x,y=14,10
        [/item]
but the image nest-one-egg.png is under terrain/embellishments and not in the folder scenery

SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Oh, I forgot removing the code. But it doesn't affect the game on mine. Maybe, Windows is more sensitive than Mac in this case? (well, I don't think so.)
Probably, the solution in this case is just to trust the work of me and Sneezy.:) (the image is the right place.)

thank you.
--------------

EDIT on Nov, 22nd:
Ummm... It seems the "sighted,moveto event" does not always trigger as well on BfW 1.11.7... It probably caused what Paulomat4 mentioned on Dwarvish Pathfinder scenario. It is possible to carry bugs on my others, but ones on this campaign will be fixed on the next edition.
--------------

EDIT:
- version 0.8.5 has been on 1.11 server since Nov, 26th
It seems something is wrong on the [filter_vision] tag of BfW 1.11.7. The most of them (not all) do not trigger on this campaign. So fixed them in any ways. The [ai] performs differently from 1.11.2, so adjusted it on 02 Through the Forest scenario. It may be too easy on the other BfW versions.

The weapons of Lieutenant and Major unit have been replaced to the quarterstaff (impact) from the sword (blade). So their images have also been updated.

Some of new portraits have been installed, and the campaign image has been replaced to new one on this edition.

Some bugs have also been fixed on this edition, and some other minor changes, such as map modifications, also include on this update.

And some HP of the units changed slightly:
- L3 Naga Ninja, 48 --> 50
- L1 Protective Carapace, 29 --> 30
- L2 Guardian Carapace, 39 --> 40
- L3 Smashing Carapace, 49 --> 50
- L2 Javelin Carapace, 44 --> 45
- L3 Heroic Carapace, 55 --> 56
- L2 Elder Carapace, 36 --> 38
- L3 Divine Carapace, 45 --> 47
---------------------

EDIT:
02 Through the Forest scenario will be balanced better on the next edition when playing on BfW 1.11.6 or before.
13 Orcish Wizard scenario will be balanced better on the next edition when playing on BfW 1.11.7.

Then
version 0.8.6 has been uploaded to 1.11 server since Dec, 10th.
This version is supposed to work fine with the [ai] of BfW 1.11.7.

The scenarios I worked on this update for the purpose were:
- 01 A Rule of Nagas, 02 Through the Forest, 05 Carapace Guards, 06 The Birth, 08 Orcish Pursuers, 13 Orcish Wizard, and 17 Return of the Monster.

Even though there are allied [ai] sides, it seems scenario Reinforcement is fine without any touches on 1.11.7.

The others:
- there were image bugs on Javelin Carapace (magenta), so fixed them.
- the melee attack animation of Heroic Carapace was not really right, so fixed it.
- on the dialogues of Epilogue scenario, mountain’s name was from old geography, so put it as Mt. Farzi (this is not an official name).
- the team color of allied side has been changed from the orange to the blue on 05 Carapace Guards scenario.

thanks
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Version 0.8.7 has been uploaded to 1.11 server since Feb, 11th.

There is not a huge change from the previous version, but some of [filter_vision] tags have been fixed to avoid any errors. The micro ai actions have been installed on some scenarios of this edition, therefore, required Wesnoth version has been 1.11.7 or higher (possibly 1.11.8 or higher because the MAI wolves include) since this edition. Also, some of SPECIAL_NOTES were previously missing on the units. So they have been added on the unit files. In addition, "poison=cures" has been added on Elder Carapace's healing ability. I think it is necessary.

thanks
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.11/1.12 SP Naga campaign, Return of the Monster

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi SkyOne,

I played the first scenario, and have some (possibly nit-picky) comments:

1. It's cool that you've expanded the nagas. At least against bats though, the maidens seem overpowered.
2. I didn't understand the conflict in the first scenario. This is just the daily commute for a member of the Naga community? Also, why did the starting keep disappear after turn 2?
3. I think there could be a line of dialogue for the loyal units in the beginning, so there was some idea of who they are. I felt a little confused when the loyal fighter (Trixiella?) started talking in the second scenario, then dove into a whirlpool (fighters can do that?). And why are they loyal, while the rest of the ungrateful bastards demand to be paid? Also in the second scenario, the beginning dialogue is confusing because the elf is hidden behind his portrait, while the Nagas also weren't visible. Probably use of [scroll_to] could solve this.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

doofus-01 wrote:Hi SkyOne,

I played the first scenario, and have some (possibly nit-picky) comments:
Hi doofus-01,

Thank you for playing and writing some comments.
This campaign includes a couple of own portraits (drawing first time ever from a scratch), so I am a bit embarrassed to you...
doofus-01 wrote: It's cool that you've expanded the nagas.
Thanks! It's been fun.:) (any of your ideas and touching-ups will probably be accepted.)
doofus-01 wrote:At least against bats though, the maidens seem overpowered.
It is true. Their resistance for impact is 110, and Maiden has the magical weapon special. Actually, all Naginis are a bit overpowered, so I may reduce something on them in the future. Naginis are like default Deathblade. I mean overpowered, but not much strength.
doofus-01 wrote: I didn't understand the conflict in the first scenario. This is just the daily commute for a member of the Naga community?
Yes, it is something like everyday-conflict in my set up. Amailoss mentioned it as his excuse that he does not want to leave. But actually the number of bats is a bit too many as the everyday-matter...
doofus-01 wrote:Also, why did the starting keep disappear after turn 2?
Actually, the keep doesn't really have to disappear. It is just a designing map thing. I just thought that only one keep (just for Queen) looks better. Better to keep the keep?
doofus-01 wrote: I think there could be a line of dialogue for the loyal units in the beginning, so there was some idea of who they are. I felt a little confused when the loyal fighter (Trixiella?) started talking in the second scenario,
Yeah, it is also true. The loyal units don't talk at the beginning because I was unable to find the words for them. I will think about their lines.
doofus-01 wrote:then dove into a whirlpool (fighters can do that?)
The whirlpool image is just used as the sign for diving into water, no magical meaning (because two units generally don't move at the same time). I will probably draw either "splash" or "babble" images for the case (if I can do it successfully). Thank you for pointing out.
doofus-01 wrote:And why are they loyal, while the rest of the ungrateful bastards demand to be paid?
It depend on players, but Trixleii has been a loyal unit since the beginning to make him the best fighter in the game by picking up the pickable items (he is always on the map at the beginning of each scenario). And one of Naginis, Rialia, is loyal because Elvish_Hunter asked (although he said Milissa):
Elvish_Hunter wrote:the Nagini Maiden (Millissa) that you get in the campaign can be made loyal?
on here:- http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 47#p524647
doofus-01 wrote:Also in the second scenario, the beginning dialogue is confusing because the elf is hidden behind his portrait, while the Nagas also weren't visible. Probably use of [scroll_to] could solve this.
Yeah, elf's keep is a bad location on the map when he talks at the beginning of the second scenario. I will change his portrait from the left to the right. The captain portrait is okay to change the side, I think.

Thank you so much.:)

---------------------

EDIT:
Version 0.8.8 has been on 1.12 server since Apr, 30th.

The changes are all minor, so crossing with 0.8.7b is fine. But they are not too few at this time:
- adjusted the off-set for Fire Breath and Fireball attacks of Kozmo units and Flame of Justice unit
- installed Bone Transformer unit as enemy's variation from my unpublished campaign
- installed the straight gate image form BW campaign
- installed healing +4 tent terrain (no income)

- scenario 01 (A Rule of Nagas); just installed a dialogue for each of the loyal units, Trixleii and Rialia
- scenario 02 (Through the Forest); moved the portrait of Elf captain from left to right
- scenario 04 (Pirates Port); installed MAI lurker for the Cuttle Fish unit
- scenario 05 (Carapace-Guards); installed MAI guardians for many carapace-units
- scenario 06 (The Birth); installed MAI wolves for Troll's side
- scenario 07 (New Leader); rebalanced and added patrolling Mudcrawlers
- scenario 08 (Orcish Pursuers); polished Gryphon's movement when she delivers the sword
- scenario 09 (Spiritual Zone); fixed a bug that Kozmo unit was possible to disappear, modified the map by installing the straight gate images and healing +4 tent terrains, and added MAI guardians for some Orc units
- scenario 10 (The Escape); modified the scenario and the map, and rebalanced
- scenario 13 (Orcish Wizard); fixed a bug that an Orc unit got into the cave wall, modified the map by installing healing +4 tent terrain, and added MAI guardians for some Orcish Assassin units
- scenario 16 (Reinforcements); modified slightly by installing healing +4 tent terrain
- scenario 17 (Return of the Monster); modified slightly by installing healing +4 tent terrain

-------
EDIT:
There has been a few problems on appearing and disappearing Naga Shadows.
I have been working on solving them. So they will probably be fixed on the next edition, 0.8.9.

thanks
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Version 0.8.9 has been on the 1.12 server since Jun, 17th.
As I mentioned at the end of the last post, there had been problems on appearing and disappearing of Naga Shadows.
They have been fixed on this edition:

1) the Shadow unit did not appear if an enemy unit killed it once. So fixed it.

2) a Shadow unit spawned when a Ninja unit moved even right after the Ninja unit was recalled on the castle (it means that players lose recruiting/recalling on the castle at the moment). So it changed to that - when Amailoss is on the keep, the Shadow units don't appear. If Amailoss is not on the keep at the beginning of scenarios, it occurs when he moves to the first keep. In each of the cases, as soon as he leaves on the keep, the Shadow units spawn when Ninja units move.

3) when shadow units spawned on any images on the maps, the images disappeared with the shadow units. So the important images, such as Holy-Water, Rune-Signs, etc.., were replaced to the terrains.

other changes:
- MAI hang out has been activated on side=2 Orcs of Into Farzi scenario because there was a bug on BfW 1.11.13. That is why the required Wesnoth version has been 1.11.15 and later since this edition. It is fine on BfW 1.11.12, though.
- on scenario Longtime Enemies, each of the Boat and the Orcish Galleon units can carry a unit to the other side of the river.
- L1 and L2 Kozmo unit's fire breath attack has looked a bit better by changing times.
- heal +4 tent image has been replaced to BW campaign's one.
- Vevyan's stone curse missile has looked a bit better when it hits.
- some other minor updates includes...

thanks
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hey SkyOne,

The second scenario seems more polished now. But if the intent of this scenario is to give the Nagas some XP, I'd say dial back the friendly AI a bit - make them less aggressive and more cautious. I was pretty aggressive, but not suicidal, and even so, the enemy was soon surrounded by the friendly AI. I wondered whether anything I did mattered at all, I could have just sat on my fat ass and shouted cheers. Just like much of the world is now doing with the World Cup.

The next scenario looks like it could be interesting, but I'll have to save it for another day. I can say that the opening dialogue needs [scroll_to] to the dwarves- I didn't know who was talking until it scrolled down to the Nagas.

I'll give an update when I get past the next scenario, for what it's worth.

Keep on truckin', as they say. (No, I don't know who 'they' are, but we'd best do as they say.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects