Development: Scarlet Sea [campaign]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

battlestar

Re: Development: Crimson Sea [campaign]

Post by battlestar »

I used the unzipper that came with windows vista, when it asks me whether to unzip without encryption I chose yes. If you keep having problems I'll re-zip it for you since you don't seem to have trouble opening zip files from me.
LUA: Llama Under Apprenticeship
Hell faction: completed
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

Yeah that would be helpful, I've tried using WinZip and GUnzip, and all I get is the useless files.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

@ The_Other: Here it is rezipped.
Scarlet_Sea.zip
(16.47 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
@ Ceres: I've been thinking about how to fix the problem with support/curse spells that affect stats. I mentioned that currently, if a unit were to level up, the [modify_unit] effects would disappear while a future event intended to restore the unit stats would mess things up. So here's my idea for a solution:

Have every stat altering spell use [object] instead of [modify_unit], have each of their restoration events also use [object] to counter the effects. At the end of each scenario, for units that still have a spell active, first use [object] to counter the spell effects, then delete all spell-related [object] tags from the unit to keep things clean.

What do you guys think?

@ Ceres and everyone: Here is my progress for spell descriptions. Detailed descriptions are added for Ice and Thunder, and rough descriptions are listed out for all elements. There were some changes to thunder, ice, and other spells compared to previous versions. Spells with only descriptions will have to significant changes. Please don't hesitate if anyone has ideas for making changes to any of the spells.
complete spelling.zip
(17.21 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

Thanks battlestar, it unzipped properly this time (mostly - I still have only .ds_stores in the image folders, but I don't need the images right now so it isn't a problem)
battlestar wrote:first use [object] to counter the spell effects, then delete all spell-related [object] tags from the unit to keep things clean.
IIRC, [object]s cannot be removed once applied. However, you can include a key within it, that causes it to expire...
WML Reference wrote:duration: if 'level', effects only last until the end of the level (note : 'level' is the scenario, so this doesn't mean it last until the unit levels-up).
I thought I'd point this out, I came across it as I'm practically living in the WML Reference right now!
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Oh yeah, duration=level should do the trick. Then removing objects won't be necessary, though it is possible to remove [objects] using {CLEAR_VARIABLE}.

Code: Select all

{CLEAR_VARIABLE incineration_target_temp.modifications.object[$o]}

It's now obsolete for our purposes though, but by extension we can pretty much modify a unit anyway we want through variable manipulation.

P.S. Updated catch phrases (by Boldek), and slight clarification on "targeting system" column
Attachments
complete spelling.zip
(18.24 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

The_Other wrote:Thanks battlestar, it unzipped properly this time (mostly - I still have only .ds_stores in the image folders, but I don't need the images right now so it isn't a problem)
Sorry for the inconvenience !
The .ds_store files are MacOS use only. They don't belong to the project and you can trash them.
The image folder and its subfolder were purposedly left empty to minimize size. All the pictures you need are already in the former posts.

Friendly,
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

@pyro:

It looks great, and plays fairly well. Just a few things to adjust:

On structure, we probably need a separate story file for each scenario, some scenarios contain quite a lot of dialogues.

# ### pyro: we already are in evening here, BTW I'm not satisfied with this: how to suggest a long waiting without boring the player ?
--> Please change the initial lighting to day(afternoon), and in first branch change it to evening while in branch 2 change it to dusk and immediately to night for portrayal the waiting

# ### pyro: maybe we should make some provision preventing Lily to leave the city. Final dialog seems to imply she was not in the searching.
-->You're right, she wasn't. Lily initially went with Valia but the during night search in branch 2 she stayed behind.

# ### what should happen now is unclear to me. More undeads to come ? Can really Skarbod lose 2 hps per turns ? he is already wounded and 6 or 7 turns away from the keep.
-->Walking all the way back is boring if nothing's happening, so just add a total of 2-3 lvl0 or lvl1 undead units scatted along the path back to the outpost. Have them pop out from the trees.
-->Scratch the idea of Skarbod losing 2hp per turn, keep it as it is now.

# ### pyro: I choosed this place quite at random. Of course it can be changed.
-->Let's put Skarbod on 21,24 and the skeleton warrior he was fighting on 22,24. Then set the event trigger to the area with radius of 5 centered on Skarbod's location.

Other things:
--Re-center the screen on the guard as he discovers the bodies, re-center the screen to the bones when Skarbod's blood was discovered
--Please change: {LSB_DIAL Valia _"Oh no, don't tell me it's his blood...Come on, I'm pretty sure we can find him if we follow it."} to {LSB_DIAL Valia _"Oh no, don't tell me it's his blood... Come on, his trail of blood leads to the west."}
--When Skarbod's blood was found, please re-adjust the objectives to "Go west to find Skarbod" and redisplay the objectives.
--You can delete my previous comments if you wish.

Anyone else with suggestions? (For these scenarios, I'm especially concerned about the clarity of objectives.)

Thanks!
Attachments
0_scn1-encounter.zip
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi !
Scenario 1 update:
Prologue-1.cfg
(12.61 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
0_scn1-encounter.zip
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
@ battlestar: take care when editing the map. The side 1 starting point was missing, and this gives a strange behavior.

Friendly,
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Thanks for reminding me about the starting points, had forgotten about them.

Saw some codes brilliantly done in there, nicely done Pyro. :D

I've made the following changes: Changed timing of path 1 to dawn. Clarified some objectives. Restricted movement left to 1 and attacks left to 0 when the ghost and walking dead are first summoned (the ghost totally sniped wounded heroes). Got rid of my old comments.

I would like to consider scn-1 done, and that it would be ready for play-testing when spells/skills/AMLA are installed to it. If anyone else finds something that should be changed, please let us know.

I'm proof-reading the script for scn-2.
Attachments
Prologue-1.cfg
(12.69 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
pyrophorus

Re: Development: Scarlet Sea [campaign]

Post by pyrophorus »

Hi everyone !
Team communication:
Friendly,
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

Nice, the results looks quite a bit nicer than the built-in version of random generator. It's a time saver. I wonder if they could just put that in the official editor, which almost always end up with a chaotic map on some level...

Pyro, would you like to give scn2 a go once I've cleaned up the script? Thanks!
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

battlestar wrote:Nice, the results looks quite a bit nicer than the built-in version of random generator. It's a time saver. I wonder if they could just put that in the official editor, which almost always end up with a chaotic map on some level...
Thanks for your appreciation. Yes, they could, even along with the present map generator, one day maybe... But it's another story, and meanwhile, we can use it as is.
battlestar wrote: Pyro, would you like to give scn2 a go once I've cleaned up the script? Thanks!
Yes, where is the cleaned script ?

Friendly,
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

I'll be using your generator for map bases then embellish to suit each scenario.

I've been trying to think up a way to describe different event possibilities (status) clearly. It'll be ready in a day or two.
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

battlestar: You wrote that some skills (plague mist, terrifying augmentation, elemental weakness, hysteric vengeance) are already coded. However, I wasn't able to find the definitions of those skills. skills_valia.cfg is empty. Did I miss a newer version of that file?
Right now I'm also messing with an uninformative error message caused by the skills menu. I'll try to sort that out tomorrow.
battlestar

Post by battlestar »

For Ceres in "spoiler" (because section tag's been used inside)
Spoiler:

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

For Pyro:
Screenshot legend (nothing's changed):
Spoiler:
The script is much clearer than before, but still fairly complicated. If anything isn't explained well, I'm here to answer. Plus, I'll read through it again tomorrow, to double check.
scn2 script.zip
(24.1 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
This flow chart is presumably everything that could happen in the main events (A-K) if the player visits a fire glyph first (Other glyphs would have identical flow-charts). It is used in conjunction to the script for clarification.
Spoiler:
The scenario map:
0_scn2-cave.zip
The scenario map
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
There would be a bunch of sprites needed, some I would gather up in the next day or two, while others would have to be place-holders till I can draw them.

P.S. If anywhere says "rune", please change it to "glyph". It was used interchangeably during the development of script but should now be unified to "glyph".

Thanks a bunch!