The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry Feedback

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry Feedback

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi all,
I know something nasty is going on...I downloaded the thing onto Windows 7, and it crashes, while works just fine on Debian -.- . I'll try to look into these in a few days.
1.12 is highly recommended, since this was never tested on 1.11 series.

EDIT:
Uploaded 2.0.2. Fixed this missing macro error, and another small one.
This is currently the LAST version, that still conatins 3 branches. All of the will be discarded, and a pretty new one will be written as soon as possible with 2.1.1.
The campaign is playable smoothly until the 13th map. Then it's a chaos. This will be put to order as well, and support of the following, old storilines will be suspended. You receive currently a warning at the beginning of that map.
Already clear changes:
Polifrontal warfare will be discarded, it's practically just a mess.
King Haldric VII. is now renamed to Matthias II due fit the campaign into the Underness Series.
Final battle will definitely not take place at Weldyn. (It always does, gets boring with time... :? )
Mal-Talar will not meet his end here. I'm sure that guy is still planning something, don't you think? He was always a salt in the wounds, I guess he didn't give up making his own empire of Undead yet...

Regards, stay tuned
WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

Hey there :)

Mission 2

1. In Mission 1 I can only recruit "Western Horsemen". In Mission 2 suddenly normal "Horsemen" come in. Wonder if this is intentional.
Spoiler:
2. On enemys Turn it seems that the enemy tries to recruit a unit that doesn't exist (twice, probably once per opposing Faction)
Spoiler:
3. I don't know if it costs the enemy money to try and summon a non-existant unit, I counted 8 WML-Failures, if it does, ignore this one, otherwise I'd say that 70 turns is a little excessive, especially since I could very well ignore the enemies I'm slaughtering right now . 40 Would be enough. 50 If you're generous. On harder difficulty it might very well be justified to have 70 though. (If it's for carry-over, consider giving me EFB instead of making me skip turns to 70 when the enemy is defeated)
Spoiler:
Mission 3

1. Deprecated Format "Target" (removed in 1.13 they say)
Spoiler:
Mission 5

1. Is Lord Fahlen of the Wesnothian Army supposed to be able to recruit Undead?
Spoiler:
Mission 7

1. Deprecation of "Target" continues.
Spoiler:
Mission 8

1. Deprecation of Target. Again. I will continue to mention it, though by now it is clear, that this is always the case.
Spoiler:
Mission 9

1. Deprecation of Target? Yup.
Spoiler:
2. Here we got an obvious Trigger-issue. No matter where one moves either unit, even if just one hex, he will inevidably activate some elf to be seen, which I cannot see, followed by dialogue in the middle of the map, while it is still foggy.
Spoiler:
When checking for the Trigger here, also check the Trigger in the previous scenario. I concluded first that I just don't get something or that I wasn't reading the previous dialogue close enough to understand what is happening. However, I now believe that a similar issue is present in Mission 7 (You know, the one resembling a Scenario from "Heir to the Throne"). It is kinda similar to the insta-game-over one got in The Desolation of Karlag when moving Karlag once he is in his room.

Mission 10

1. What is this Format? Deprecated.
Spoiler:
Mission 11

1. We got a missing Icon here. The Elvish Rider seems to be invisible.
Spoiler:
2. The Elvish Scout has similar problems. It is also interesting to note that, according to the description of both units, that the custom Scout advances to regular Rider (Wesnoth-default), while the custom Rider advances to regular Outrider.
Spoiler:
Mission 12

1. Please place you deprecation marks.... "Target" wins!
Spoiler:
2. I must ask again, is Gweog of the Kingdom of Wesnoth supposed to be able to recruit undead? (AND elves for that matter?)
Spoiler:
2.1 The same goes for the entirety of the "Western Knigdom", and I conclude that everybody can summon elves and undead (which is validated). I also note that it makes for quite an interesting fight between multiple factions, if they're all able to summon units of 3 different races.
Spoiler:
3. This confuses the hell out of me. I did not approach either side with the 2 units meant to approach. I attacked a unit of Wesnoth with one of my units and the dialogue started. Then, when I decided against Wesnoth, Aldric got teleported onto the keep of the "Western Knigdom", where originally another unit stood, which, in effect disappeared. I also got a WML-Failure message regarding 'gold'.
Spoiler:
Mission 13

1. Probably no bug, but then again I'm not sure. Are the elves supposed to be my allies (after I petrified a leader of theirs)? I also wonder why this elvish faction is called "Westerns".
Spoiler:
1.1 And is this faction supposed to be able to summon (human) mages?
Spoiler:
2.I don't like the fact that Arya does not keep her EXP from a previous Scenario in which I had her on my side (where some Elves were to be rescued)
Spoiler:
3. I noticed that before but didn't mention it. Now I decided to do it anyway. Both Promotion-Paths of the Skeleton Rider end in the same unit, the Skull Knight. Would be ok, but it completely defeats the purpose of the "Bone Knight"-Path, which gives the unit an impact-attack (trample) in adittion to his blade-attack(axe), since the Skull Knight does not have "trample".
Spoiler:
Mission 14

1. Oh, Deprecate, Oh, Deprecate, I know your name is "target".
Spoiler:
2. The Snowboots lead to a message about "duration=scenario" vs. "duration=level". Aside from the annoying-ness of the message the boots seem to work though.
Spoiler:
3. Uhm.... why exactly "do we need those walkers"? Am I supposed to try and save someone who has NO units left and is effectively already dying when I arrive, mainly because the "walkers" where in my way? Were the walkers supposed to be my allies? Confused here.
Spoiler:
3.1. Don't know if this is intentional, but it really makes the scenario way to difficult. I lost all my units except my un-killables, and those were deep in red hitpoints at the end of scenario. It was a really close (and lucky) win. And if I hadn't recruited ghosts, and instead recruited horsemen to charge the pie-load of archers, the leader of the "walkers we for some reason need" would have been dead long before I arrived (since I first have to fight through frozen mountains).

Mission 15

This Bug-Report ends here. I cannot continue. Once Mission 15 begins, I just watch 2 computer-faction duke it out, My army doesn't appear at all for some reason. The Troll-leaders death leads to "you were defeated".
Spoiler:
Last edited by Krolan on December 28th, 2014, 5:31 am, edited 19 times in total.
I do GPE(Genuine Playing Experience), Screenshot-reinforced and detailed Bug-Reports for Campaigns. If you want me to check yours, be it Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta or finished, let me know. Since I don't know anything about coding, I'll be unable to tell you why something bad happens though. PM me.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello,
While playing this, please keep in mind, that this was the first part to be written, it isn't near as marvelous as the latest one (TSOTN), and is at least twice as buggy. :S
The separate Western & casual Horsemen was intentional, because the westerns were tougher, and more expensive. But, since 1.12, the animations have been changed for all units, so instead of creating another 10MiB for the user to download, Westerns became the copies of the regular horsemen. Their extra toughness and cost will be regained of course, with due time. Please be patient.

Map5: No :shock: Maybe the [allow_recruit] has been changed a bit, formerly a missing side meant side1. Added side=1 just in case.

Yup, same trigger issue, filter_vision no longer takes fog into account unless asked to.

I used to use [target] for everything, basically macros depend on it, it's gonna be time unitl all of them can be switched to [goal].

Currently I'm working to finish the game (that is why Desolation of Karlag will be postponed), since I have plans for a volume 5 in Summer. And for that, the 3 possible story branches must be cast aside, and another one is written at the moment. If you wait like 2 days, the finish patch will follow.
You can keep this version at another ID and version info if you wish, but all these scenarios are buggy, lot of them are just a mess, needed cleanup long ago.

Thanks, stay tuned,
WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
Krolan

Post by Krolan »

It's Christmas-Day around here, Merry X-Mas, don't forget to buy our sh*t, you don't want your friends to hate you, and they only love you for expensive stuff! So buy our sh*t...

No, Really, Merry Christmas, I'll definetly stay tuned, I also will finish this once Christmas is over (or maybe if I find a few hours before going to sleep daily). See ya :D

P.s.: btw. When mentioning the Trigger Bug being also there in Mission 8 I actually meant Mission 7 ^^', also, are randomly appearing enemy-Western-Riders supposed to be siding with the orcs?

Edit: Bug-Report finished (as far as I could go). I agree, this campaign is a mess xD I think I'll have to wait for you to finish it properly, from what I played I can say that it is a fun good-structured campaign. Which is not surprising, since it's made by you^^ Nontheless, this needs work, as you already said :)

Greetz, love your work, keep it up
Krolan
I do GPE(Genuine Playing Experience), Screenshot-reinforced and detailed Bug-Reports for Campaigns. If you want me to check yours, be it Pre-Alpha, Alpha, Beta or finished, let me know. Since I don't know anything about coding, I'll be unable to tell you why something bad happens though. PM me.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Allright, quickly finished it, uploaded 2.0.3
Will start the slow work to smooth it...:)

WhiteWolf
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

Hi WhiteWolf, I just found one error so far: at the scenario The Lance of the Devil, all leaders have the same recruit list than us could you fix it please? Also could you set Tal-M'rgan's résistances to thoses of a normal Death Knight for all his advancements?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,
Thanks, I'll try look what causes that :)

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

OK, got it. With BFW 1.12, the [allow_recruit] tag's default side changed, and even though I fixed this inside my macros, I seem to have forgotten, that on this map for some reason, your recruit list was put together with tags, and not macros. (It had to be put redefined because of the ship map :) ). The empty side attribute caused to allow all the sides your recruit list.

Also fixed the resistance, it was caused because they only had a regular undeadfoot, and the extended-resistance tag of regular skeletons was missing.

Also, made the dates of all events more logical and trackable, now the whole plot takes place 300 years earlier, in 935 YW.
Improved some maps, fixed typos, and the showdown map is almost done, will be included with next version.

Upload of 2.0.4 this evening, will edit this post when its up on the server.
EDIT: Uploaded.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Finished the last map, and uploaded version 2.2.1. Also made some noticable changes, such as a new Aethyr portrait (spoiler!), erasing duplicate pictures, and Etiliel has permantly been renamed to Ellfäya (due to causes of mistaking her for South Guard Ethiliel).
For other imporvemets, see the history log file.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Cashcam24

Post by Cashcam24 »

I'm not sure if you have answered this already but in the scenario "the way to the swamp of dread" the orcs and the wesnothians recruit western cavalry units, is this intentional or no?
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Yeah, this seems to be another issue of the [allow_recruit] tag incompatibility between 1.10 and 1.12.
I'll upload a patch with the fix tomorrow :)
Pags

Post by Pags »

In Lance of the Devil (mission 11?) I killed Xanthos II (with one of my undead lesser heros), but he doesn't appear to have dropped the lance. I took my main hero to the hex where he was and nothing was picked up. So, the game seems to continue indefinitely (with enemy reinforcements landing every few turns). I had allied with Wesnoth against my fellow Westerns.
Beon_Wyre

Post by Beon_Wyre »

Pags wrote:In Lance of the Devil (mission 11?) I killed Xanthos II (with one of my undead lesser heros), but he doesn't appear to have dropped the lance. I took my main hero to the hex where he was and nothing was picked up. So, the game seems to continue indefinitely (with enemy reinforcements landing every few turns). I had allied with Wesnoth against my fellow Westerns.
Same here. I can only guess, that the campaign does not work properly with Wesnoth 1.12.x (1.12.6 in my case), since we both experience this problem in 2017. I played the campaign a few years or so ago and now again as part of the whole Underness series.

I wouldn't mind cheating or changing some config or game save file in order to finish the campaign so i can continue with the fifth instalment of the series.

Anyone up for a quick fix?

Thanks in advance!

Beon
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

I'm terribly sorry I didn't answer for posts, they avoided my attention.
During the years I only managed to get TAOTWC into a mess, and I don't really plan on saving it just yet :( This is why I rarely check this forum.

This bug seems to be only prone on Normal difficulty. A quickfix is to reload the scenario on Hard or Easy, and it should work.
I'll upload a fix patch for this on Monday, I can't do it earlier. (I don't have the original campaign with me now).

Or, you can fix it completely manually, if you'd like to:
Manual fix:
Sorry for the inconvenience caused :(
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I know I'm a little late, sorry.
I've uploaded 2.4.3 to the add-ons server. Download it, reload the scenario, and it should work fine.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf