What are the best add-ons?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jabie

What are the best add-ons?

Post by Jabie »

As with any custom material, quality is variable and time is limited. Not voting for your own, which are add-ons do you recommend? For my 2cp, Swamplings is a great campaign.
Heindal

Re: What are the best add-ons?

Post by Heindal »

Bad Moon Rising, Burning Sun, Invasion from the Unknown and last but not least To Lands Unknown.

Edit: As the other said: Swamplings.
Last edited by Heindal on July 23rd, 2023, 9:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
pyrophorus

Post by pyrophorus »

Many are fine (and I didn't played all of them), but my prefered are,
- To Lands Unknown
- Ice Age Fun
- and of course Swamplings

Have fun with them !
lipk

Post by lipk »

Bad Moon Rising, Swamplings, After the Storm, The Sojournings of Grog, The Earth's Gut, The Fellowship of the Clay.
There was also a drake campaign I enjoyed very much, but I can't remember anymore whether it's Children of Dragons, Flight to Freedom or Brave Wings (most likely the first :hmm: )

And The Devil's Flute, of course :mrgreen:
Dorimen

Post by Dorimen »

I like the Era of Magic, To Lands Unknown, Invasion From The Unknown and After The Storm and a scenario MP in style RPG: The Brotherhood of Light... :D
DeviantArt Profile
My project: Stickmen Era
Coming soon project: The Chaos Lord- a campaign with the Stickmen Era
--The measure of a man is what he does with power--
AlaskanAvenger

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

Invasion from the Unknown, Devil's Flute, After the Storm, & To Lands Unknown
taptap

Post by taptap »

I enjoyed The Sojournings of Grog (pretty mainlinish, only the overpowered Gold Mage isn't, no dying allies because you can take control of them), Grnk the Mighty (many tomatoes but funny and definitely not your usual army building campaign), Fate of a Princess (I played recently and didn't yet clear the last scenario, unique unit mix in both parts, the second part is likely the elvish campaign with the lowest number of elves seen).

Brave Wings and The Founding of Borstep are the add ons I will play next.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

My favorites (in no particular order):

-Anything created by Shadowmaster, inferno8, beetlenaut, Bob_the_Mighty, or doofus-01 (you can't go wrong with these guys... amazingness in add-ons is their norm ^_^ )

-Sojournings of Grog (I've played this through 14.5 times)

-The Devil's Flute (technically I haven't yet finished it, but it's definitely one of my favorite add-ons regardless :mrgreen: )

-Swamplings (I did contribute a few insignificant pieces of art for it, so I might be slightly biased, but it'd still be a great campaign no matter what)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

lipk wrote:The Sojournings of Grog
taptap wrote:I enjoyed The Sojournings of Grog (pretty mainlinish, only the overpowered Gold Mage isn't, no dying allies because you can take control of them)
That's because Elyssa has some abilities and items that a normal Gold Mage won't have. :wink:
artisticdude wrote:-Sojournings of Grog (I've played this through 14.5 times)
:shock: Thank you all! :D
By the way, my favourites are Fate of a Princess, Brave Wings, IftU, After the Storm, Grnk the Mighty, Swamplings, Story of the Wose, The Fellowship of the Clay, The Devil's Flute and one that I don't know if will ever be finished: Love to Death. Also To Lands Unknown is remarkable for the quality of its artwork.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
taptap

Post by taptap »

The Era of the Four Moons add-ons Salt Wars and Panther Lord by Velensk need love. Both of them are good.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
WanderingHero

Post by WanderingHero »

I'm seriously the first to post Elf Dynasty Rpg?

I also think Fate of A Princess is aweosme, though the second half isn't as good as the first
Pokonic

Post by Pokonic »

lipk wrote:Bad Moon Rising, Swamplings, After the Storm, The Sojournings of Grog, The Earth's Gut, The Fellowship of the Clay.
There was also a drake campaign I enjoyed very much, but I can't remember anymore whether it's Children of Dragons, Flight to Freedom or Brave Wings (most likely the first :hmm: )

And The Devil's Flute, of course :mrgreen:

All of the Drake campaigns you mentioned where some of the first add-ons I ever played, and Flight to Freedom was mainline quality. I enjoyed the fact you could either stay on the island or be taken in the first senario, and both versions where handled well. My idea of drakes will forever be japanese-influenced.
PawelS

Post by PawelS »

I like Roar of the Woses and Panther Lord.
perseo

Post by perseo »

I think this is fairly personal but my favorites add-ons are the following ones (in order XD (It was a joke, they're all very good, giving them an order will be an insult for the rest).
- Fate of a princess -> Powerful romantic storyline, it mixes perfectly role playing and battling, I've played it twice, and its a very long campaign XD.
- Bad moon rising -> Complete new era and amazing artwork. Also good campaigns, I only disliked the world map method, but I know people who have enjoyed a lot this innovation.
- Devil's flute -> The last UMC I've played, and maybe the funniest one, I loved it but it still lacked some work when I played it.
- Swamplings -> Funny one but the end became a bit boring and hard to do. I had to try it 4 times till I manage to finish every scenario (they're not difficult but I got bored and I couldn't play it just in a row).
- To the Lands Unknow -> Well, since inferno8 did that masterpiece I've played it about 7 times with my friends (it's not multiplayer but a friend of me changed it a bit for controlling the oponent sides).
Probably there are a lot of campaigns I haven't played, but this particular ones are my favorites.
See ya!
"I was pulling a barrow, when I saw a stalking horse
what a beautiful day!- he said- for visiting a red herring
and getting hoarse."
Working on this campaign: The septentrional tower
BioHazardX

Post by BioHazardX »

To Lands Unknown, Children of Dragons, Bad Moon Rising, Brave Wings, Sojournings of Grog, Inky's quest, Invasions from the Unknown (even if the last levels aren't very good and unballanced) and After the storm (still playing)