Antar, Son of Rheor [Development Thread]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AI
Developer

Re: Antar, Son of Rheor [Singleplayer Campaign Feedback Thr

Post by AI »

Adamant14 wrote:Thank you for letting me know.
I fixed it, but only the 1.12 version.
I decided to maintain my Add-On only for the latest version of BfW.
I only made the reports for the 1.12 server.
It's fixed now.
saaltony

Post by saaltony »

hi sir,it is my first time here. just wanted to say,this a great campaign. wile playing,i encountered a problem. i am playing( Antar,son of Rheor-version 1-11-16. scenario=the elvish outpost. dificulty=hard. the objective of the game is to kill the 4 leaders and the yeti.after i kill all 4 and the yeti,nothing happens,the scenarios doesn't end,as it should normally do.i am stuck,i don't know what to do. could you help??
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

You are right,
depending on the order in which you defeat the enemies,
it can happen that the scenario will end as intended, or as in your case not.
The bug is caused by a few lines of code that I changed before my last upload.

This buggy version is on the server since months and no one has reported that bug yet,
even more I thank you for reporting it now.

A fixed version is on the server, so please update and continue playing.
Please mind: You have to play the whole scenario another time (from the start, not from turn 1 !)

Sorry for the inconvenience.
I hope you enjoy the remaining scenarios.
And if you find another issue, then please let me know.

Thank you for playing. :)
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Today I've I uploaded version 0.10.11
It only contains minor changes and bug fixes.
Mostly visible for players:
The 'Missing Image Icon' on the Goblin Slave, and the Goblin Tamer, caused by a WML-change in the games core, is no longer there now.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
akh9010

Post by akh9010 »

Hi,

(1) Number or Name of the scenario.
I played this campaign* in Wesnoth 1.12.2 with easy level. First of all, let me thank you for creating this campaign, I really liked playing it. I'm answering for all scenarios

(2) What difficulty level have you played the scenario on?
Easy

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialogue and storyline? What can be added to make the story clearer / more interesting?
Didn't pay much attention to the story. But I thought Gelphrad will turn out to be the main villain, hiding in disguise. I couldn't get him upgraded past level 1, mainly because shielding him all the time.

(5) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
First scenario was hard for playing the first time. I started playing with Normal difficulty level and switched to Easy because of that. But now that I know what to do with the seemingly infinite number of undead, I can play it in higher difficulty level. Other scenarios were easy.

(6) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Since most of the units in Antar's scenarios are auto-recalled, they kept getting better and better over time. This made them kill small units like owls and goblins easily while defending, but since owls and goblins come in high numbers, I lost some level 3 units who kept on killing enemies.

(7) Did you cheat? And why?
I assume you mean using autosave to play the turn again. If so, yes, when Antar or Careonryn died due to reasons mentioned in (6).

(8) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
9/10
Especially loved the fire trap for the elves.

(9) Was there a bug in the scenario?
In the Dwarven Pass scenario, I could not make the units move and attack at with one click. I had to move each unit, then click again to make them attack. This was irritating. The Revenge scenario with elves had no bug, but the problem returned till initial stages of the Dwarves scenario. By the time Antar found the Dwarf leader, it was alright.

(10) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
More scenarios! I want to upgrade Antar to level 4.

* I finished scenario 1 on June 7th night. I am not sure if I played 0.10.10 or 0.10.11. In the add-ons menu, it showed 0.10.11 and *installed*, but in the Campaigns menu, it says 0.10.10. Maybe you did not change the description to be shown on Campaigns menu?
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

akh9010 wrote:First of all, let me thank you for creating this campaign, I really liked playing it.
Thank you, and thanks for playing.
It's been a while since someone posted some feedback about Antar here. :)
Feedback is always welcome.
akh9010 wrote:Didn't pay much attention to the story. But I thought Gelphrad will turn out to be the main villain, hiding in disguise. I couldn't get him upgraded past level 1, mainly because shielding him all the time.
He became very useful if you cope to level him, so I recommend to level him as quick as possible. :eng:

akh9010 wrote:In the Dwarven Pass scenario, I could not make the units move and attack at with one click. I had to move each unit, then click again to make them attack.
:doh: I thought this was already fixed. :augh:
Seems I'll have to look into it again.
akh9010 wrote:(10) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun? More scenarios! I want to upgrade Antar to level 4.
Thank you :)
Maybe someday, maybe not. Temporary I'm busy with other stuff.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Campaign is finished? So let me play it again.

Not a native speaker, nonetheless:

Cutscene to 2)

"Antar and his ______WHAT______ hastily marches on."

2nd scenario)

"Now you are going to be a Mage, take these staff with you." -> "this staff"
""This are the men of our neighbour Lord Antar, they came for our relief."" -> "These are"
"With this castle as their fortress they shall grow in strength till no longer can we resist them. We have failed." - Is the second part correct?
"Following the myriad customs that must be adhered to when lords meet and the necessary niceties, Veogwyn and Antar began to talk." -> "myriad of customs" + would remove "and the necessary niceties" (very different register than previous phrase)
"My people are broken; countless died, and many more still writhe upon the battlefield. Within my stronghold’s blasted gates and barren battlements my people live in fear. Divers hosts yet march against me- I can spare few men." - somewhat overdramatic combination "countless died, and many more still", you can't top absolute "countless" with a comparative "many more" imo // "divers" -> "diverse" or "various"
"I must to my father and Lord Othar." - germanism? combine with another verb. "I must ride to the aid of Lord Othar and my father." sth. like that.

Undead reinforcements did not show up - killed the last leader while still plenty of other undead units (from village triggers) were on the map. (I am happy about that, just never happened before. Finished turn 13 or 14 with plenty of carryover gold.)

Gelphrad is hilariously overpowered. With L2 leadership and the staff he does 13-4 damage at L0, i.e. more than arch mage damage, and this is by no means the maximum just me being slow in putting experience into leaders.

Gelphrads paintover portrait isn't that great. A placeholder is fine, but not sure what artists think about making one by paintover of a perfectly fine portrait (the mainline mage). BTW you should put your art requirements in the first post of the feedback thread.

Cutscene between 2 and 3)

"broke up camp" -> "broke camp"
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Thank you Taptap for resurrecting this tread.

"Now you are going to be a Mage, take these staff with you." -> "this staff"
Seems you are right.
"This are the men of our neighbour Lord Antar, they came for our relief."" -> "These are"
Not sure about that.
"With this castle as their fortress they shall grow in strength till no longer can we resist them. We have failed." - Is the second part correct?
Not sure too.

97% of the campaigns dialogue is revised by Daravel, Kanzil and Gooby, who are native English speakers, so I hope it is correct as it is.
I'm not a native speaker, and my English is poor, so I hope that a native speaker reads this, and is willing to check the sentences.
Hopfully Daravel, Kanzil and Gooby are still around, and hopefully they haven't forgotten me and this campaign.

About the missing undead reinforcements in scenario 2:
I will check that.
What BfW version did you have installed?

About Gelphrads power:
It is indented that Gelphrad is very strong, he will become a very strong magician, one of the most powerful mages ever.

About the portraits:
Most of them are Frankensteins, and I know that they are not of good quality, but it is important to me to have unique images for the main heroes.
The chance that a real artist is going to to good images for an almost abandoned campaign is not very high. :P

"BTW you should put your art requirements in the first post of the feedback thread."
Done
taptap

Post by taptap »

Adamant14 wrote: About the missing undead reinforcements in scenario 2:
I will check that.
What BfW version did you have installed?
Nah, working as intended. I just killed him, when he still had many units (reinforcements trigger by unit count, which is good imo). Too much gold in the next scenario only leads to more survivors = more difficulties in the fourth one anyway.

@Gelphrad:
Well, it was inevitable with an item from dugi (the overpoweredness) :whistle: The problem is that he can do great mage damage at L0 if adjacent to a L3 leader. The whole dialogue about learning and progress falls flat, when he is your biggest damage dealer already at L0. Currently the fire ranged damage is fixed, thus decreases in combination with leadership as he levels up. A bit weird but less overpowered than it looked at L0, still he could be one of my biggest damage dealers in melee.

Art:
I would not do "frankenstein" portraits at all. I know it is common for sprites, but just painting over a nice portrait to have something "unique" makes my eyes and heart bleed, almost feels like vandalism. I am fairly sure such disregard shown to the original portrait actively discourages people from contributing portraits.
Last edited by taptap on February 1st, 2016, 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
taptap

Post by taptap »

Story)

"to the Dwarfs territory" -> plural

Lord Othar)

"Will you aid us in our fight?." -> "Will you aid us in our fight?"
"The mines of the Dwarv Leader Gomdring are also near." (alternative dialogue when all dwarves dead) -> Dwarf or dwarf as you see fit.

Goblin Hills)

"sinpost" (in objectives) -> "signpost"

Elvish outpost)
Goran Baal death msg: "Mal Kazur promissed this to me." -> "promised this to me"
"Mal Kazur has to be stopped, he has to be destroyed." - better "Mal Kazur has to be stopped. He has to be destroyed."

Elves, Humans, Dwarves are written inconsistently sometimes with a capital letter and sometimes not.
A few instances of double punctuation "!." and "?." throughout the campaign.

Dwarven Pass)

Still a pretty sadistic scenario (if you have any slow moving humans) - but yes, it is hard work to cross mountains in winter! The armour of fire is hilariously overpowered. Nerf it, please! Mainly for one reason: Segurd has steadfast, but no resistances to get any work out of it. Here, I painfully moved him (5 moves with 3 movement cost on ice) into the cave to make this ability effective, now he has pretty armour, but still no benefit of steadfast because his armour is now 50% throughout. Armour giving 20%-30% would still be very powerful (like full dwarven armour), but even better with steadfast. (I also believe that it is bad for balance if you could make Garulf indestructible with protection or get a 50% armour Antar.) Theoretically, it would be nice to have an option to pick up the armour, if you accidentally kill the dread bat earlier. It probably would be poetic justice for me, because the dreadbat only started attacking within the cave due to my feedback, if I remember correctly.

I feel bad for taking the 13 gold (which doesn't do much for me anyway), finished with only 20 carryover due to my insistence to give the armour to Segurd.

While Segurd gets nothing out of steadfast as is, Lowitz precision ability is too hilariously overpowered. In a campaign mainly against undead a good daytime slinger is already an asset, if you want to further improve him, give him marksman, but precision is just over the top, right there with the staff and the armour. I guess not many players complain about getting too much.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

taptap wrote:I guess not many players complain about getting too much.
Indeed :P
I think a lot of players love powerful units.

In my campaign are not that much units with extra powers, do you really think its bad to have two ore three of them?

Most of the text corrections are already fixed, but I wait with the upload till all corrections are done.
taptap wrote:"Will you aid us in our fight?." -> "Will you aid us in our fight?"
What is the meaning of that?

About the armour:
It is placed near the cave entrance, so the player should be able to find it long before the mother-bat.
But it can happen, like in your case, that the unit you want to give the armour isn't close.
Like you noticed, this can cost a lot of turns.
I'll think about that.

About the stats of the armour:
It was much more powerful once, I have already decreased the stats some time ago.

Thank you for your feedback so far ( still hope for more ) :)
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

"Will you aid us in our fight?." -> "Will you aid us in our fight?"
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Thank you :oops:
taptap

Post by taptap »

@abilities/items:
Yes, precision is too good an ability. Grimbolds protection is a great flavour ability making most out of Garulfs nobility (and it comes at the cost of normal guardsman steadfast). Segurds steadfast ability is pretty much wasted since he has no resistances to double, that is why I would have preferred a weaker armour. Simply removing steadfast, an ability that currently does close to nothing, from Segurd works as well.

@Gelphrad:
The staff is weird: tremendous ranged damage at low level + leadership, ranged damage potential drops, when he levels up, but he becomes a major force in melee (I have Gelphrad at L2 still, but he already has 7-6 base impact damage, pretty much in between the damage dealth by a shock trooper and an iron mauler, while being a white mage. Exactly twice the amount of a normal (not strong) Mage of Light. And you get more out of the 25% bonus with 7-6 as well.) Since I believe the staff improves with level, I wonder about the power level at L3. L4 for Gelphrad is broken. He loses his melee attack completely and ends with 3 pretty similar fire / arcane ranged attacks. i.e. his damage output is now lower than from L0-L2. Imo, Gelphrad needs a rework. All levels needs to be visited for melee / ranged without / with leadership. I whined that he makes great mage damage when led by a good leader at L0? Well, at L4 he lost his melee attack and does less ranged damage.

@dialogue:
Don't really understand why you write about "betrayal" of the orcs. Is this supposed to be northern alliance area / time? Don't see how anyone can feel betrayed without a previous agreement.

Revenge:
Overrecruited (partly roleplay) and swept them away, reaching the keep simultaneously from front and flank. The fire gives the whole battle a sense of urgency.

The Dwarves:
I am not a fan of the massive auto-recalls several scenarios in a row, I ended with so many units here, that I could only recall a paladin when I reached the first castle (7) the rest of my initial gold was already used by upkeep. Especially longbowman and spearman would probably not have been my recruits of choice. Gave the amulet to a knight, who went arcane-damage Grand Knight. Segurd who is really buff with his new armour and then three dwarf-lords did most of the damage in the mountain. Managed to reach the throne hall only on 24/24 and just thanks to skirmish ability. The AI leader in prison was never freed and the interior left dwarf leader survived. The leader migration between keeps works overall nice, the minor dwarf leader just had this weirdness that he migrated to an entrance keep, the one on the very left, recruited and waited until one of his units healed up (at 2hp/turn) before he send his units into the battle raging far away near the throne hall. Some animation near the throne hall was weird since a sentinel surrounded by undead in a village walked out to be honour guard for my unit reaching the throne hall first - which almost led to an undead breakthrough.

Elves in caves next :)
Zarkussell

Post by Zarkussell »

Where do you find this lowitz guy? I've been stuck on the dwarfish caves for quite a while now. I have tried 4 different times but the dwarves always get killed to early leaving me massively outnumbered with no way to kill all the units in time. Does anyone have any suggestions?